Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Coliseum Stat/Ability Changes
1 2
@Sopheroo Augh, support for that a million times over. XD I'd love to see an official Coli guide. Too many threads in Help asking "How do I use a Tincture?" and stuff like that.
@Sopheroo Augh, support for that a million times over. XD I'd love to see an official Coli guide. Too many threads in Help asking "How do I use a Tincture?" and stuff like that.
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
@RedWillia I'm not asking the staff to design new builds. I'm asking them to make all the stats equally useful and to create or fix stones such that we can design new builds that work well. As things currently are, that's not really possible. No builds anyone can or has come up with, given the current options, can remotely compare to the glass canon builds -- causing the ridiculously high price of Eliminate because literally everyone wants/needs them.

@Ridara I used Def and Mnd as examples because they are the most famously avoided stats; why have those stats at all if they don't actually do anything useful? That in and of itself should be enough reason to re-balance the stat system.

I'm not expecting tanks to do DPS as well or as fast as glass canons. @Jemadar restated (with better wording, so thank you) what I said about the purpose of a tank being to draw enemy fire. If a stone existed that could make that happen, and if there were a way to minimize the damage taken when the tank is hit (fixing Def/Mind, again, or creating stones that minimize specific types of damage regardless of element) then having a tank in a team could potentially result in longer coliseum runs without going back to the menu to heal the glass canons. Which would in turn keep that 20% bonus to XP going longer without resetting. Which would in turn make leveling go at least as fast, even if individual fights are going a couple turns slower.

I'm not asking to make fifty different ways to do one thing, or to make what's already there less useful. I would just like there to be more than one build strategy that doesn't halfway suck.

Edited by @JCStitches for violation of the Terms of Use.
@RedWillia I'm not asking the staff to design new builds. I'm asking them to make all the stats equally useful and to create or fix stones such that we can design new builds that work well. As things currently are, that's not really possible. No builds anyone can or has come up with, given the current options, can remotely compare to the glass canon builds -- causing the ridiculously high price of Eliminate because literally everyone wants/needs them.

@Ridara I used Def and Mnd as examples because they are the most famously avoided stats; why have those stats at all if they don't actually do anything useful? That in and of itself should be enough reason to re-balance the stat system.

I'm not expecting tanks to do DPS as well or as fast as glass canons. @Jemadar restated (with better wording, so thank you) what I said about the purpose of a tank being to draw enemy fire. If a stone existed that could make that happen, and if there were a way to minimize the damage taken when the tank is hit (fixing Def/Mind, again, or creating stones that minimize specific types of damage regardless of element) then having a tank in a team could potentially result in longer coliseum runs without going back to the menu to heal the glass canons. Which would in turn keep that 20% bonus to XP going longer without resetting. Which would in turn make leveling go at least as fast, even if individual fights are going a couple turns slower.

I'm not asking to make fifty different ways to do one thing, or to make what's already there less useful. I would just like there to be more than one build strategy that doesn't halfway suck.

Edited by @JCStitches for violation of the Terms of Use.
@ObiKemnebi The Guard ability is basically drawing enemy fire (it's not actually drawing it, but it's taking damage instead of another dragon). Anticipate is also useful for tanks. I used to have a tank, it was great for being able to fight several levels higher than my dragons' level - the problem is just that they're too slow when you're trying to grind quickly.
@ObiKemnebi The Guard ability is basically drawing enemy fire (it's not actually drawing it, but it's taking damage instead of another dragon). Anticipate is also useful for tanks. I used to have a tank, it was great for being able to fight several levels higher than my dragons' level - the problem is just that they're too slow when you're trying to grind quickly.
I think a big issue here is that the reason there's only one viable build type (there are many different glass cannons) is because there's only one goal of the Coli- winning as many battles as possible, as quickly as possible. The Coli is a grinding-based system wherein the goal is simply to win battles fast to get loot.

The only way to make other builds more viable is to change the basic parameters of the build's purpose, by changing the incentives the Coli has. (And also to allow magical glass cannons, full support for that.) We don't need supports because we can refresh the page for instant full health. We don't need tanks for the same reason. Even without the reloading, every battle resurrects fallen dragons.

Now, I can't think of a way to prevent the full-health exploit, so we need other ways of encouraging people to stay in the Coli a long time without dying. For instance, creating/increasing streak bonuses to xp and loot would encourage builds that could stay strong for a lot of fights, e.g. tanks and healers. Secondarily, decreasing the amount of hp regained by a resurrected dragon would also work. (I considered removing the resurrection entirely, but that would play havoc with two-fodder builds.) These changes would ensure that reducing battles-per-minute by using a different build could be worth it for the increased loot/xp-per-minute that long streaks could provide.

Unrelated, but DEF/MND do need a buff. Currently they are strictly worse than VIT, and all stats should have their uses, even if the builds they're used in are worse.
I think a big issue here is that the reason there's only one viable build type (there are many different glass cannons) is because there's only one goal of the Coli- winning as many battles as possible, as quickly as possible. The Coli is a grinding-based system wherein the goal is simply to win battles fast to get loot.

The only way to make other builds more viable is to change the basic parameters of the build's purpose, by changing the incentives the Coli has. (And also to allow magical glass cannons, full support for that.) We don't need supports because we can refresh the page for instant full health. We don't need tanks for the same reason. Even without the reloading, every battle resurrects fallen dragons.

Now, I can't think of a way to prevent the full-health exploit, so we need other ways of encouraging people to stay in the Coli a long time without dying. For instance, creating/increasing streak bonuses to xp and loot would encourage builds that could stay strong for a lot of fights, e.g. tanks and healers. Secondarily, decreasing the amount of hp regained by a resurrected dragon would also work. (I considered removing the resurrection entirely, but that would play havoc with two-fodder builds.) These changes would ensure that reducing battles-per-minute by using a different build could be worth it for the increased loot/xp-per-minute that long streaks could provide.

Unrelated, but DEF/MND do need a buff. Currently they are strictly worse than VIT, and all stats should have their uses, even if the builds they're used in are worse.
windh4.png
[quote name="WyvernVenom" date=2018-02-03 03:24:36] I think a big issue here is that the reason there's only one viable build type (there are many different glass cannons) is because there's only one goal of the Coli- winning as many battles as possible, as quickly as possible. The Coli is a grinding-based system wherein the goal is simply to win battles fast to get loot. [/quote] This right here is why defensive builds are pretty much useless. If your goal is to kill everything before it has a chance to move, then you don't need a tank to absorb damage. If your dragons are absorbing a few turns worth of damage, then you're already moving too slowly to farm efficiently. The goal of the Coli is loot. The faster you move through battles, the more loot you get in the same amount of time played. If builds other than glass canon are to become viable, then that goal for maximum speed will have to either change or be supplemented with alternate goals that make battling slowly just as rewarding as finishing battles quickly.
WyvernVenom wrote on 2018-02-03:

This right here is why defensive builds are pretty much useless.
If your goal is to kill everything before it has a chance to move, then you don't need a tank to absorb damage. If your dragons are absorbing a few turns worth of damage, then you're already moving too slowly to farm efficiently.

The goal of the Coli is loot. The faster you move through battles, the more loot you get in the same amount of time played.
If builds other than glass canon are to become viable, then that goal for maximum speed will have to either change or be supplemented with alternate goals that make battling slowly just as rewarding as finishing battles quickly.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
Carrying on from what other people have said, the only way for there to be any point in a tank is in high-reward high-difficulty sequences of fights - sort of like continual bosses. However, making something so tanky it can out-benefit a healer mage will be difficult, unless the best build ends up requiring both a tank and a healer.
Carrying on from what other people have said, the only way for there to be any point in a tank is in high-reward high-difficulty sequences of fights - sort of like continual bosses. However, making something so tanky it can out-benefit a healer mage will be difficult, unless the best build ends up requiring both a tank and a healer.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
1 2