Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Questions? Concerns? Discuss!
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 91 92
[quote name="Aequorin" date="2014-02-10 05:23:56"] Regarding 'Slag' - it has a very nasty definition in English as far as it being a 'title' or reference. Naming a dragon that would be inappropriate. [/quote] While I am very glad that pollock is no longer blocked (yay), I have to disagree with this reasoning for the name 'slag'-- and consequently, other words and names censored due to informal slang. In the Oxford dictionary, Merriam-webster dictionary, and Encyclopedia Britannica, 'slag' is first and foremost defined by its usage in metal refinery and smelting work. While I'm only trying to use respectable sources, this holds true for just about every dictionary and encyclopedic site out there (that isn't dedicated primarily to slang terms). Oxford goes on to describe the origin of the word, "mid 16th cent.: from Middle Low German slagge, perhaps from slagen ‘strike,’ with reference to fragments formed by hammering." So the very structure of the word itself is centered around slag work and metalworking. The first known use of the word is cited around 1552, with its peak usage in language being around the early half of the 20th century, which reveals that it has been a very commonly used word throughout its history. Alternatively, the slang version of slag has only been around since 1958-- and in both my main dictionary reference sites-- is described as being "informal derogatory" and "slang chiefly of British use". It is always listed below the main and formal use of the word. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/slag http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slag http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/548015/slag So what's your point, Nineteen? My point is that 'slag' has been and continues to be a word primarily identified by its definition in metallurgy, smelting, and refining processes. The word has been around for a very long time and is not obscure in the slightest. The informal slang phrase that uses the same spelling is listed as a much more recent creation, specifically British, and is-- by definition-- slang: "a type of language that consists of words and phrases that are regarded as very informal, are more common in speech than writing, and are typically restricted to a particular context or group of people." It is listed as "informal language". (Oxford) 'Slag' is not a crude, offensive word, and only manages to be inappropriate if used in a specific, informal (key word!) context that only a select distribution of people may recognize as being bad. As a Fire flight member, we love all things blacksmithing, smelting, forging, and mining, and slag is an everyday occurrence and term for us! It hurts to not be able to name my dragons something so integral to their culture. Slag can be very beautiful too, if you look through pictures of it. I please ask of the FR team to reconsider this unnecessarily harsh censorship of innocent words and names. I apologize if this post is seen as off-topic, but since it is a response to another post and also a concern, I figured it was still appropriate for this topic!
Aequorin wrote on 2014-02-10 05:23:56:
Regarding 'Slag' - it has a very nasty definition in English as far as it being a 'title' or reference. Naming a dragon that would be inappropriate.

While I am very glad that pollock is no longer blocked (yay), I have to disagree with this reasoning for the name 'slag'-- and consequently, other words and names censored due to informal slang.

In the Oxford dictionary, Merriam-webster dictionary, and Encyclopedia Britannica, 'slag' is first and foremost defined by its usage in metal refinery and smelting work. While I'm only trying to use respectable sources, this holds true for just about every dictionary and encyclopedic site out there (that isn't dedicated primarily to slang terms).

Oxford goes on to describe the origin of the word, "mid 16th cent.: from Middle Low German slagge, perhaps from slagen ‘strike,’ with reference to fragments formed by hammering."

So the very structure of the word itself is centered around slag work and metalworking. The first known use of the word is cited around 1552, with its peak usage in language being around the early half of the 20th century, which reveals that it has been a very commonly used word throughout its history.

Alternatively, the slang version of slag has only been around since 1958-- and in both my main dictionary reference sites-- is described as being "informal derogatory" and "slang chiefly of British use". It is always listed below the main and formal use of the word.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/slag
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slag
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/548015/slag

So what's your point, Nineteen? My point is that 'slag' has been and continues to be a word primarily identified by its definition in metallurgy, smelting, and refining processes. The word has been around for a very long time and is not obscure in the slightest. The informal slang phrase that uses the same spelling is listed as a much more recent creation, specifically British, and is-- by definition-- slang:

"a type of language that consists of words and phrases that are regarded as very informal, are more common in speech than writing, and are typically restricted to a particular context or group of people." It is listed as "informal language". (Oxford)

'Slag' is not a crude, offensive word, and only manages to be inappropriate if used in a specific, informal (key word!) context that only a select distribution of people may recognize as being bad. As a Fire flight member, we love all things blacksmithing, smelting, forging, and mining, and slag is an everyday occurrence and term for us! It hurts to not be able to name my dragons something so integral to their culture. Slag can be very beautiful too, if you look through pictures of it. I please ask of the FR team to reconsider this unnecessarily harsh censorship of innocent words and names.

I apologize if this post is seen as off-topic, but since it is a response to another post and also a concern, I figured it was still appropriate for this topic!
ccDyspX.png
I would like to add my voice to the many that are calling for reconsideration of the recent wave of dragon name censorship. I believe that in most cases, the policy change is an example of "perfect getting in the way of good".
I would like to add my voice to the many that are calling for reconsideration of the recent wave of dragon name censorship. I believe that in most cases, the policy change is an example of "perfect getting in the way of good".
@Nineteen
I'm Fire flight as well and know what "slag" means in its original context very well and do believe it would be a cool name for a Fire dragon. I'm also British (apologies if you are as well, I don't direct this at you it's just to explain my point) I learnt that slag was a derogatory word for women from a young age, it is very commonly used in every day speech and in the media. I only found out the original definition from watching Time Team at maybe 10-11 years old and then I thought it was odd they said slag on a program about archaeology. If you asked most people in the UK what it meant they wouldn't tell you it was a metal working term; it's an insult used to degrade women and most children would laugh if they heard it in its original context. It is a crude and offensive term used offensively by most people in every day contexts, it is only not offensive if used in its original one which most people never encounter in their entire lives.

Words change over time you only have to look at how the definition and usage of the word "gay"; from bright, colourful and happy to homosexual. There would be outrage if someone named their dragon that on this site and they turned round saying 'it only means bright and happy, that's the original context.'

I personally feel for once have done a good job in censoring a word that is an insult not from American culture, this game is played by international players, just because it's not insulting to you doesn't mean it's not insulting to many other people. All players should feel safe to say that a certain word is offensive in their culture and have it banded.
@Nineteen
I'm Fire flight as well and know what "slag" means in its original context very well and do believe it would be a cool name for a Fire dragon. I'm also British (apologies if you are as well, I don't direct this at you it's just to explain my point) I learnt that slag was a derogatory word for women from a young age, it is very commonly used in every day speech and in the media. I only found out the original definition from watching Time Team at maybe 10-11 years old and then I thought it was odd they said slag on a program about archaeology. If you asked most people in the UK what it meant they wouldn't tell you it was a metal working term; it's an insult used to degrade women and most children would laugh if they heard it in its original context. It is a crude and offensive term used offensively by most people in every day contexts, it is only not offensive if used in its original one which most people never encounter in their entire lives.

Words change over time you only have to look at how the definition and usage of the word "gay"; from bright, colourful and happy to homosexual. There would be outrage if someone named their dragon that on this site and they turned round saying 'it only means bright and happy, that's the original context.'

I personally feel for once have done a good job in censoring a word that is an insult not from American culture, this game is played by international players, just because it's not insulting to you doesn't mean it's not insulting to many other people. All players should feel safe to say that a certain word is offensive in their culture and have it banded.
Dragon wanted: Marigold/Vermilion/Abyss Female unbred
@Nineteen, I understand that slag has legitimate applications in a specific field; however, 'Slag' as it refers to an individual is a targeted offensive word intended to demean, degrade, and shame someone. As such, the ban on 'Slag' as a name will stand.

I know that the topic of dragon names is important to some of our players and I need to reiterate: the correct method of communication for filter/name concerns is through Contact Us. This is Flight Rising's policy.
@Nineteen, I understand that slag has legitimate applications in a specific field; however, 'Slag' as it refers to an individual is a targeted offensive word intended to demean, degrade, and shame someone. As such, the ban on 'Slag' as a name will stand.

I know that the topic of dragon names is important to some of our players and I need to reiterate: the correct method of communication for filter/name concerns is through Contact Us. This is Flight Rising's policy.
[quote]What is FR's official stance on protection for artists and commissioners through the Art Sales forum? Will there be any protections implemented in the future for people who have been scammed out of treasure or gems?[/quote] @Hippogriff, I'm sorry, we don't have any immediate plans for art commission site functionality. [br][br] [quote]I talked about it on my Tumblr a bit, but I figured it was worth an ask, in light of the impromptu interest survey in the other thread. I admit, I am kinda curious as to what the staff expects the average player experience to be. I’m wondering if the staff expectations and the things the survey are turning up match or not! [LIST] [*]Do you guys expect players to use the fairgrounds? To max their lucky streak daily? [/LIST] [LIST] [*]The high cost of lair expansions/scrolls/most apparel being in the 10-20K range makes me think this is expected to be the sort of game where you can turn over treasure fairly rapidly. Is that what was planned? Or is it meant to be the kind of game where a purchase like a gene should be a prize you spend a month working toward, etc.? [/LIST] [LIST] [*]What did you guys intend the general average player’s main sources of income to be? I know dragon breeding was never meant to be especially profitable, but what was meant to be? [/LIST] [LIST] [*]How much time per day do you expect most players should/would spend on FR? Are the multiple hours/day for coli grinding/maxing lucky streak what you intended? [/LIST] [LIST] [*]What kind of rough general range would you expect to be the average amount of treasure for a player to have? At what point is a player considered to have low treasure and at what point is someone the FR Uncle Moneybags? [/LIST][/quote] @Snapdragon, bear with me :) Your income is what you make of it. Several possible sources have been provided and it's all in how you choose to play. The Fairgrounds is one option. Lucky Streak is a limit and not an expected regular outcome; if you [i]really[/i] like the games, though, maybe it will be. :D Flight Rising is intended to be as casual or as hardcore as you want to be. Some players log in just to do their dailies or as a fun break in between work, school, etc. There are players who want to collect everything, have every dragon, spend three to four hours a day on the site because that's how they choose to play. The average player spends twenty minutes to an hour a day on the site. How quickly you achieve your goals or purchases depend on how you choose to play the game. We don't have set treasure expectations for our players. Treasure is to be saved or spent as you wish, most players have less than one million treasure but the only items on the site that require that much treasure are the final Lair expansions. Basically, it's all how you want to play. We've tried to make lots of casual and daily rewards for those who want to play casually, limited time events for those who like to build equity, and some high ticket "grindy" objectives for our players who like spending several hours playing daily. That being said, we [i]are[/i] open to tweaking mechanics over time, and do read the suggestions forum frequently to get player feedback.
Quote:
What is FR's official stance on protection for artists and commissioners through the Art Sales forum? Will there be any protections implemented in the future for people who have been scammed out of treasure or gems?

@Hippogriff, I'm sorry, we don't have any immediate plans for art commission site functionality.

Quote:
I talked about it on my Tumblr a bit, but I figured it was worth an ask, in light of the impromptu interest survey in the other thread.
I admit, I am kinda curious as to what the staff expects the average player experience to be. I’m wondering if the staff expectations and the things the survey are turning up match or not!
  • Do you guys expect players to use the fairgrounds? To max their lucky streak daily?
  • The high cost of lair expansions/scrolls/most apparel being in the 10-20K range makes me think this is expected to be the sort of game where you can turn over treasure fairly rapidly. Is that what was planned? Or is it meant to be the kind of game where a purchase like a gene should be a prize you spend a month working toward, etc.?
  • What did you guys intend the general average player’s main sources of income to be? I know dragon breeding was never meant to be especially profitable, but what was meant to be?
  • How much time per day do you expect most players should/would spend on FR? Are the multiple hours/day for coli grinding/maxing lucky streak what you intended?
  • What kind of rough general range would you expect to be the average amount of treasure for a player to have? At what point is a player considered to have low treasure and at what point is someone the FR Uncle Moneybags?

@Snapdragon, bear with me :)

Your income is what you make of it. Several possible sources have been provided and it's all in how you choose to play. The Fairgrounds is one option. Lucky Streak is a limit and not an expected regular outcome; if you really like the games, though, maybe it will be. :D

Flight Rising is intended to be as casual or as hardcore as you want to be. Some players log in just to do their dailies or as a fun break in between work, school, etc. There are players who want to collect everything, have every dragon, spend three to four hours a day on the site because that's how they choose to play. The average player spends twenty minutes to an hour a day on the site.

How quickly you achieve your goals or purchases depend on how you choose to play the game. We don't have set treasure expectations for our players. Treasure is to be saved or spent as you wish, most players have less than one million treasure but the only items on the site that require that much treasure are the final Lair expansions.

Basically, it's all how you want to play. We've tried to make lots of casual and daily rewards for those who want to play casually, limited time events for those who like to build equity, and some high ticket "grindy" objectives for our players who like spending several hours playing daily. That being said, we are open to tweaking mechanics over time, and do read the suggestions forum frequently to get player feedback.
@Aequorin

Thank you for the response, but it appears that you've misunderstood my question.

Since FR has a forum facilitating the commissioning of artwork, will there be any measures in place to protect people from being scammed? I'm not looking for art site functionality, rather a willingness on part of the admins to take action against users who scam others out of compensation, i.e. fraud. Since there is a forum intended for commission use, it seems odd to me to not have protections in place for commissioners and artists.
@Aequorin

Thank you for the response, but it appears that you've misunderstood my question.

Since FR has a forum facilitating the commissioning of artwork, will there be any measures in place to protect people from being scammed? I'm not looking for art site functionality, rather a willingness on part of the admins to take action against users who scam others out of compensation, i.e. fraud. Since there is a forum intended for commission use, it seems odd to me to not have protections in place for commissioners and artists.
@Hippogriff, there are no immediate plans for art commission site functionality. We will treat scamming for art the same as other unsupported transactions. We cannot provide reimbursement but we can action against offenders.
@Hippogriff, there are no immediate plans for art commission site functionality. We will treat scamming for art the same as other unsupported transactions. We cannot provide reimbursement but we can action against offenders.
@Aequorin Thank you, that's what I was asking—action against offenders. c:
@Aequorin Thank you, that's what I was asking—action against offenders. c:
Sorry for another question.. But the new items that were just released got me all excited.
Is there any plan to expand the colors for the new furry winter coat/tail/feather things? They're amazing but they neeeeeed more colors ;.; Like gold or blue! They're just too perfect NOT to have a ton of colors!
Or is more item recolors something the team doesn't want to touch so that people don't keep requesting colors all the time?
Sorry for another question.. But the new items that were just released got me all excited.
Is there any plan to expand the colors for the new furry winter coat/tail/feather things? They're amazing but they neeeeeed more colors ;.; Like gold or blue! They're just too perfect NOT to have a ton of colors!
Or is more item recolors something the team doesn't want to touch so that people don't keep requesting colors all the time?
TOW2n3q.png
@Aequorin

Is there any consideration for adjusting the price of system-based items compared to the state of the game economy? I'm basically referring to the Marketplace, both gem and treasure. I'm going to just out with it--the gem-to-treasure ratio is out of control. I understand that that is ultimately something you guys have no control over. It's us that value these things the way that we do. But given the stagnation in selling dragons, and the non-viability of grinding the Fairegrounds and Coliseum for the hours on end that most players (not just myself) don't have, it makes buying anything with gems--not just genes, but apparel and accents, seem like an impossible dream if you don't have the money to just buy gems yourself.

I get it. You guys need gems to make money and keep the site running. I'm not asking for the new and very sought after Coatl scrolls to suddenly only cost 100 gems or something. I just wish there was a way to adjust for these weird economic times. There are only so many users who are able to put gems into the system right now, and when most of those are getting sunk into the marketplace, it makes it that much harder on the rest of us. I'm not going to harp too much about how cheated I feel that the new and exciting breed we got cost $20 or more that I've ever saved on this site in treasure. I feel like a lot of the features that really add to the game (beautiful genes, boons, scatterscrolls, accents) are heavily biased towards people who can pay real money. I know this is a business. I know there will always be people who funnel tens of hundreds of dollars into this site, sometimes a month. As someone who wants to really enjoy this game without having hours or dollars to throw at it, it's been trying to want to stick with it. I give up on goals all the time now because they feel unachievable. I feel like, until the site opens up again, and even still after that, something needs to change. Please.
@Aequorin

Is there any consideration for adjusting the price of system-based items compared to the state of the game economy? I'm basically referring to the Marketplace, both gem and treasure. I'm going to just out with it--the gem-to-treasure ratio is out of control. I understand that that is ultimately something you guys have no control over. It's us that value these things the way that we do. But given the stagnation in selling dragons, and the non-viability of grinding the Fairegrounds and Coliseum for the hours on end that most players (not just myself) don't have, it makes buying anything with gems--not just genes, but apparel and accents, seem like an impossible dream if you don't have the money to just buy gems yourself.

I get it. You guys need gems to make money and keep the site running. I'm not asking for the new and very sought after Coatl scrolls to suddenly only cost 100 gems or something. I just wish there was a way to adjust for these weird economic times. There are only so many users who are able to put gems into the system right now, and when most of those are getting sunk into the marketplace, it makes it that much harder on the rest of us. I'm not going to harp too much about how cheated I feel that the new and exciting breed we got cost $20 or more that I've ever saved on this site in treasure. I feel like a lot of the features that really add to the game (beautiful genes, boons, scatterscrolls, accents) are heavily biased towards people who can pay real money. I know this is a business. I know there will always be people who funnel tens of hundreds of dollars into this site, sometimes a month. As someone who wants to really enjoy this game without having hours or dollars to throw at it, it's been trying to want to stick with it. I give up on goals all the time now because they feel unachievable. I feel like, until the site opens up again, and even still after that, something needs to change. Please.
KVbkgOZ.png
1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 91 92