Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Blocked Users
1 2 3
I know I've seen this around here somewhere before, but I would really prefer if blocked users posts didn't even show up at all on the forums to me? I don't want it saying 'you've blocked this user' I want to block them and completely forget about their existence. I don't want to see threads they created, or posts they've made. I don't want to see their lair, and I honestly don't want them to see mine. Particularly in cases where people might have been stalked this is completely necessary (this isn't my personal case here, but it has been on other sites where an ex tries to follow me on facebook or a pet site we used to be friends on) and I would honestly prefer if there were at least an option to prevent them from having any interaction with me. It would make me feel a lot safer here on FR.

As an extra suggestion, perhaps levels? On a certain level you just can't see their posts and they can't see yours (at all, no message. I don't understand why it is the way it is now, since if you blocked someone because you don't want to see their forum posts, seeing the "THEY POSTED HERE" thing is just going to make you think about why you blocked them in the first place - for reasons stated below this doesn't include threads you started), next level they can't see your lair or purchase your things. The FR community isn't so tiny that not being able to buy things from one or even a handful of users is going to cause that big of a problem.
I know I've seen this around here somewhere before, but I would really prefer if blocked users posts didn't even show up at all on the forums to me? I don't want it saying 'you've blocked this user' I want to block them and completely forget about their existence. I don't want to see threads they created, or posts they've made. I don't want to see their lair, and I honestly don't want them to see mine. Particularly in cases where people might have been stalked this is completely necessary (this isn't my personal case here, but it has been on other sites where an ex tries to follow me on facebook or a pet site we used to be friends on) and I would honestly prefer if there were at least an option to prevent them from having any interaction with me. It would make me feel a lot safer here on FR.

As an extra suggestion, perhaps levels? On a certain level you just can't see their posts and they can't see yours (at all, no message. I don't understand why it is the way it is now, since if you blocked someone because you don't want to see their forum posts, seeing the "THEY POSTED HERE" thing is just going to make you think about why you blocked them in the first place - for reasons stated below this doesn't include threads you started), next level they can't see your lair or purchase your things. The FR community isn't so tiny that not being able to buy things from one or even a handful of users is going to cause that big of a problem.
cPW6H3E.png
Support for not allowing blocked users access to your profile, lair, or you having to see them around site.

However, still no support for not allowing blocked users access to your threads. I understand where the sentiment comes from, and I want you to feel safe, but there are a literal boatload of issues that would need to be addressed before this feature could be implemented without fear of abuse (ironically) and just general problem-causing.

some examples

Bug threads. If a user is having an issue but is blocked by the person who started the bug thread how are they supposed to communicate their problem?

Huge parts of Flight Rising are run by players. What if my dom leader/lair expansion organizer/food service provider block me? Now I'm also blocked from fully participating on my flight community.

Could this be abused? Maybe I have a fallout with a friend and I block them. I get my friends to block. This would happen, guaranteed and it promotes the very thing its meant to prevent: people being attacked and bullied.

There's also the problem that, whenever this feature comes up I feel like we're discussing people being blocked as though individuals ONLY get blocked for really good reasons. This is not the case, plain and simple. The last time this came up the reply was 'well if XYZ blocked you you probably did something and that's just your problem' but it's a great oversimplification of what could and does occur. We need to make sure we're adjusting for that scenario too, not just the most serious and legitimate ones.
Support for not allowing blocked users access to your profile, lair, or you having to see them around site.

However, still no support for not allowing blocked users access to your threads. I understand where the sentiment comes from, and I want you to feel safe, but there are a literal boatload of issues that would need to be addressed before this feature could be implemented without fear of abuse (ironically) and just general problem-causing.

some examples

Bug threads. If a user is having an issue but is blocked by the person who started the bug thread how are they supposed to communicate their problem?

Huge parts of Flight Rising are run by players. What if my dom leader/lair expansion organizer/food service provider block me? Now I'm also blocked from fully participating on my flight community.

Could this be abused? Maybe I have a fallout with a friend and I block them. I get my friends to block. This would happen, guaranteed and it promotes the very thing its meant to prevent: people being attacked and bullied.

There's also the problem that, whenever this feature comes up I feel like we're discussing people being blocked as though individuals ONLY get blocked for really good reasons. This is not the case, plain and simple. The last time this came up the reply was 'well if XYZ blocked you you probably did something and that's just your problem' but it's a great oversimplification of what could and does occur. We need to make sure we're adjusting for that scenario too, not just the most serious and legitimate ones.
iSUiwqzX231cv.gif
@Jad

That makes absolute sense. Thank you for your input, and I will retract that part of my suggestion, since like you said, not everyone is blocked for good reasons, and I can definitely say there have been times in my life when I have to block someone simply for being so annoying.
@Jad

That makes absolute sense. Thank you for your input, and I will retract that part of my suggestion, since like you said, not everyone is blocked for good reasons, and I can definitely say there have been times in my life when I have to block someone simply for being so annoying.
cPW6H3E.png
Another example of how preventing blocked players from posting in threads can be abused: a scammer could block players who inform others of the scam thus preventing these good Samaritans from helping prevent other players from getting scammed.
Another example of how preventing blocked players from posting in threads can be abused: a scammer could block players who inform others of the scam thus preventing these good Samaritans from helping prevent other players from getting scammed.
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
@DragonSage I already agreed that was a bad idea and removed it from my original post (I'm pretty sure I removed it all, anyway). I don't have any intention of preventing them to post, I just personally don't want to see it, which would mean that (supposing) if I were a scammer, if I blocked someone I wouldn't be able to see them exposing me, while everyone else would. More examples for something that was a bad idea already isn't really necessary.
@DragonSage I already agreed that was a bad idea and removed it from my original post (I'm pretty sure I removed it all, anyway). I don't have any intention of preventing them to post, I just personally don't want to see it, which would mean that (supposing) if I were a scammer, if I blocked someone I wouldn't be able to see them exposing me, while everyone else would. More examples for something that was a bad idea already isn't really necessary.
cPW6H3E.png
I went looking for the last long post I typed on this subject and found several threads: http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=sug&id=1213936 and http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=sug&id=1066745&p=mb and http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=sug&id=1158471 .

Most recently, my thoughts were:
Quote:
My contribution was that the big concern is blocked users being able to access your profile information. This includes being able to exploit a certain bug, see your forum history to post on threads you've contributed to, and see your friend list and comments, which could include contacting your friends and/or buying your or your friends' dragons (through seeing your lairs), naming them something harassing or obnoxious, and then exalting them. In addition, harassers could see your profile and repost its information offsite with a lot of snark just to mock you. I have seen this happen on other sites.

So I don't think blocked users should be able to see your profile page or lair. Maybe they see a generic message such as "This user has blocked you." Also, someone pointed out on the other thread that profiles are visible if a person isn't even logged in. So maybe there should even be profile visibility options: Public (available to the whole Internet) and Private (only available to FR registered users) and maybe even Friends Only (only visible to friends of the user in question).

In the past, there was a thread suggesting that blocked users cannot buy or sell for you. This is two-fold. If they cannot buy from you, then they rename your hatchlings and exalt them. Also, some users don't want to financially support people who have harassed them in the past, so they don't want to buy from said person. Just seeing the name of the harasser in the AH could spark bad memories; also, users change their names, so someone who doesn't want to buy from blocked users has to keep a page open with their list of blocked users and toggle between that and the AH. Not very effective.

I know this doesn't matter to everyone. Some people are content to merely not see a harasser's posts and don't care about buying or selling. Some people do care. So perhaps the most effective solution would be to let users select either levels of blocking or have checkboxes as to how much accessibility a blocked user would have to them.

That comes from this thread here: http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=sug&id=1362800

Anything that limits cyber harassment, stalking, and bullying has my support.
I went looking for the last long post I typed on this subject and found several threads: http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=sug&id=1213936 and http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=sug&id=1066745&p=mb and http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=sug&id=1158471 .

Most recently, my thoughts were:
Quote:
My contribution was that the big concern is blocked users being able to access your profile information. This includes being able to exploit a certain bug, see your forum history to post on threads you've contributed to, and see your friend list and comments, which could include contacting your friends and/or buying your or your friends' dragons (through seeing your lairs), naming them something harassing or obnoxious, and then exalting them. In addition, harassers could see your profile and repost its information offsite with a lot of snark just to mock you. I have seen this happen on other sites.

So I don't think blocked users should be able to see your profile page or lair. Maybe they see a generic message such as "This user has blocked you." Also, someone pointed out on the other thread that profiles are visible if a person isn't even logged in. So maybe there should even be profile visibility options: Public (available to the whole Internet) and Private (only available to FR registered users) and maybe even Friends Only (only visible to friends of the user in question).

In the past, there was a thread suggesting that blocked users cannot buy or sell for you. This is two-fold. If they cannot buy from you, then they rename your hatchlings and exalt them. Also, some users don't want to financially support people who have harassed them in the past, so they don't want to buy from said person. Just seeing the name of the harasser in the AH could spark bad memories; also, users change their names, so someone who doesn't want to buy from blocked users has to keep a page open with their list of blocked users and toggle between that and the AH. Not very effective.

I know this doesn't matter to everyone. Some people are content to merely not see a harasser's posts and don't care about buying or selling. Some people do care. So perhaps the most effective solution would be to let users select either levels of blocking or have checkboxes as to how much accessibility a blocked user would have to them.

That comes from this thread here: http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=sug&id=1362800

Anything that limits cyber harassment, stalking, and bullying has my support.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
100000000% support this. I agree with everything you've said, plus I don't want the people who I've blocked to see me or know about me either. I do not want them tracking my Lair or hatchlings either. I do NOT want a Blocked User to buy my Dragons.
100000000% support this. I agree with everything you've said, plus I don't want the people who I've blocked to see me or know about me either. I do not want them tracking my Lair or hatchlings either. I do NOT want a Blocked User to buy my Dragons.
tumblr_inline_nk8fzk6nc31sztcmx.png
I still support some form of tiered or modular blocking. My previous stance hasn't changed. With tiered blocking, the first tier would just be for forum posts (such as a person who always posts triggering images). I might not have any hostile feelings towards this person; I'd be okay with buying and selling. I just don't want to see the posts. The second tier would be all forms of communication. The third tier would be the lair and AH. In modular blocking, I could choose which features User A could and couldn't use to interact with me, such as removing forums and the AH, but keeping everything else.

FR is getting better, but it really does need to step up its game to protect users.
I still support some form of tiered or modular blocking. My previous stance hasn't changed. With tiered blocking, the first tier would just be for forum posts (such as a person who always posts triggering images). I might not have any hostile feelings towards this person; I'd be okay with buying and selling. I just don't want to see the posts. The second tier would be all forms of communication. The third tier would be the lair and AH. In modular blocking, I could choose which features User A could and couldn't use to interact with me, such as removing forums and the AH, but keeping everything else.

FR is getting better, but it really does need to step up its game to protect users.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
I'm sorry... I don't support blocking people from seeing any kind of thread in the public forums. Stricter moderation or harsher punishment for on-site bullying may be needed, but I believe that whole-site forums should be available to the whole site.

My reason for this is that because it is a public forum, everyone else would be aware of a conversation taking place on a thread except for the blocked person. Even if I try to participate in a thread wherein one user is having a conversation with another user that has blocked me, I would only be able to see half that conversation... and this in a public place.

However, I believe that people that you have blocked should not have access to your lair page, but dragons should remain public. They should not be able to send personal messages or crossroads, and not be able to purchase dragons from a user that has blocked them (and a user should not be able to buy dragons from the user they blocked). Purchasing items should not be blocked at all.
I'm sorry... I don't support blocking people from seeing any kind of thread in the public forums. Stricter moderation or harsher punishment for on-site bullying may be needed, but I believe that whole-site forums should be available to the whole site.

My reason for this is that because it is a public forum, everyone else would be aware of a conversation taking place on a thread except for the blocked person. Even if I try to participate in a thread wherein one user is having a conversation with another user that has blocked me, I would only be able to see half that conversation... and this in a public place.

However, I believe that people that you have blocked should not have access to your lair page, but dragons should remain public. They should not be able to send personal messages or crossroads, and not be able to purchase dragons from a user that has blocked them (and a user should not be able to buy dragons from the user they blocked). Purchasing items should not be blocked at all.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
@ShadowedScales

Currently blocked users cannot buy your dragons.

Unless you want it so a blocked user cannot buy dragons that were hatched from your lair. Which would go against the current ToS on dragons.
@ShadowedScales

Currently blocked users cannot buy your dragons.

Unless you want it so a blocked user cannot buy dragons that were hatched from your lair. Which would go against the current ToS on dragons.
1 2 3