Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Betta fish abuse
1 2 3 4 5 6
[quote name="indecisive" date=2016-07-06 07:50:20] an animal isn't fine just because it's not dead yet [/quote] So very true.
indecisive wrote on 2016-07-06:
an animal isn't fine just because it's not dead yet
So very true.
hey how you doing? well i'm doing just fine.
i lied i'm dying inside

ness, he/him
looking for a dragon with
obsidian or very dark grey primary
red range secondary
male
lightning primal
willing to pay upwards of 200g, depending on colors and genes
THIS. I HAVE A SMALL STORY.

I am planning on getting a betta fish from my local pet store, as soon as tomorrow since I need crickets for the gecko I got at the same store a year and a half ago (he's healthy and happy and really the best birthday gift I've ever had!) I was originally going to keep him in a big pickle jar, like the kind you get at costco big. this is the actual jar, with a coke can for scale since no banana. :(

BUT I WAS LOOKING ONLINE AT PICTURES BECAUSE OMG THEY'RE SO PRETTY and looked at the proper care for bettas and I saw that this was not okay. I need to fix this.

THEN I REMEMBERED I HAD A TANK IN THE BASEMENT WOO!

I put some aquarium gravel in it, same color as in the jar before, I have a big bag for some reason (I think I found it at goodwill for like $3?) and some plastic plants that were in the tank as well as some extra plants my sister had (she has a 15-20, maybe 25 gallon tank with some minnows in it oddly enough.) and now I have a decent tank. Unfortunately the tank didn't have a filter I could find, but I can purchase that as well as a heater when I go, most likely. I might also get another plant? maybe two and switch out the purple one? I also have no idea where that crack came from...

I am planning on getting a betta fish from my local pet store, as soon as tomorrow since I need crickets for the gecko I got at the same store a year and a half ago (he's healthy and happy and really the best birthday gift I've ever had!) I was originally going to keep him in a big pickle jar, like the kind you get at costco big. this is the actual jar, with a coke can for scale since no banana. :(

BUT I WAS LOOKING ONLINE AT PICTURES BECAUSE OMG THEY'RE SO PRETTY and looked at the proper care for bettas and I saw that this was not okay. I need to fix this.

THEN I REMEMBERED I HAD A TANK IN THE BASEMENT WOO!

I put some aquarium gravel in it, same color as in the jar before, I have a big bag for some reason (I think I found it at goodwill for like $3?) and some plastic plants that were in the tank as well as some extra plants my sister had (she has a 15-20, maybe 25 gallon tank with some minnows in it oddly enough.) and now I have a decent tank. Unfortunately the tank didn't have a filter I could find, but I can purchase that as well as a heater when I go, most likely. I might also get another plant? maybe two and switch out the purple one? I also have no idea where that crack came from...
> sasser
any pronouns
> accent shop
9TbvK.gifEwSCN.gif576zR.gif
This. I especially hate how fish and other small, cheap animals become the victims of parents buying them for their children without doing the research, especially when the parents replace it every time the kid kills one.

I think it's a cultural thing with how hermit crabs and similar animals are literally marketed just like toys, but honestly, parents should know better.

With younger children, I wish people would just get them a plant. Succulents are pretty cool looking, hardy (as long as you don't over-water), cheap, and not sentient. You can also sit the kid down with the pot and some glitterglue or whatever and let them entertain themselves by decorating it. win-win, no animal abuse required. Besides, if little billy gets bored of the plant, he'll probably get bored of a fish just as quickly.

This. I especially hate how fish and other small, cheap animals become the victims of parents buying them for their children without doing the research, especially when the parents replace it every time the kid kills one.

I think it's a cultural thing with how hermit crabs and similar animals are literally marketed just like toys, but honestly, parents should know better.

With younger children, I wish people would just get them a plant. Succulents are pretty cool looking, hardy (as long as you don't over-water), cheap, and not sentient. You can also sit the kid down with the pot and some glitterglue or whatever and let them entertain themselves by decorating it. win-win, no animal abuse required. Besides, if little billy gets bored of the plant, he'll probably get bored of a fish just as quickly.

Ahhh pet stores. Everyone keeps telling me I should work in one because of my affinity for animals, but honestly I'm pretty sure I could not mentally handle intentionally forcing animals into a life of abuse for fear of being fired.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/other/7-perfect-starter-pets/ss-BBhEWZ5#image=1
^^ this is the culmination of all the problems with the "disposable small animal" mindset people tend to have. This is why I could never work at any pet store, having to deal with people like these

On the plus side, I'm going to be the fish guru in college, making sure no fish gets abused! Already started work on pamphlets of what can go in a 10gal and their needs ;3
Ahhh pet stores. Everyone keeps telling me I should work in one because of my affinity for animals, but honestly I'm pretty sure I could not mentally handle intentionally forcing animals into a life of abuse for fear of being fired.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/other/7-perfect-starter-pets/ss-BBhEWZ5#image=1
^^ this is the culmination of all the problems with the "disposable small animal" mindset people tend to have. This is why I could never work at any pet store, having to deal with people like these

On the plus side, I'm going to be the fish guru in college, making sure no fish gets abused! Already started work on pamphlets of what can go in a 10gal and their needs ;3
Snr7ysG.png HChIF4s.png
@Ankha
Honestly the only real thing said in that article was about the pet rock.
@Ankha
Honestly the only real thing said in that article was about the pet rock.
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
[quote name="FreefallFlying" date=2016-07-06 13:46:06] THIS. I HAVE A SMALL STORY. [/quote] You should really get rid of the fake plants and throw down on some real ones. Some marimos or bamboo look good with bettas, and are fairly cheap. I got 10 marimos for 10 bucks on Amazon, when normally they're like 8 dollars each at Petsmart I think. I also got bamboos for 2$ each. Real plants not only look better, but they keep the water really clean and healthy. ^^
FreefallFlying wrote on 2016-07-06:
You should really get rid of the fake plants and throw down on some real ones. Some marimos or bamboo look good with bettas, and are fairly cheap. I got 10 marimos for 10 bucks on Amazon, when normally they're like 8 dollars each at Petsmart I think. I also got bamboos for 2$ each. Real plants not only look better, but they keep the water really clean and healthy. ^^
*peeks in and sees no one is talking about the mis-treatment of hermit crabs*
*shuts door*
*kICKS DOWN THE DOOR*

Seriously, my crabs live an average of 4 years with me which is astounding to must people. It drives me nuts when I see someone put a sponge in thier crabs water-dish, claiming it's the only way they can drink (you REALLY think there's sponges sitting on beaches with FRESH water??) and practically poisoning them with the harmful bacteria it harbors. Don't even TALK to me about store bought (dare I call it) """food""". Hermit crabs are scavenger that need a well-balanced diet (and de-chlorinated water! [salt and fresh!]) that doesn't CONTAIN PESTICIDES, WHICH MOST STORE BOUGHT ""hermit crab feed"" DOES.

Do not even start me on painted shells......
*peeks in and sees no one is talking about the mis-treatment of hermit crabs*
*shuts door*
*kICKS DOWN THE DOOR*

Seriously, my crabs live an average of 4 years with me which is astounding to must people. It drives me nuts when I see someone put a sponge in thier crabs water-dish, claiming it's the only way they can drink (you REALLY think there's sponges sitting on beaches with FRESH water??) and practically poisoning them with the harmful bacteria it harbors. Don't even TALK to me about store bought (dare I call it) """food""". Hermit crabs are scavenger that need a well-balanced diet (and de-chlorinated water! [salt and fresh!]) that doesn't CONTAIN PESTICIDES, WHICH MOST STORE BOUGHT ""hermit crab feed"" DOES.

Do not even start me on painted shells......
Bless all of you
Bless all of you
[quote name="Scrimshaw" date=2016-07-06 14:29:18] I think it's a cultural thing with how hermit crabs and similar animals are literally marketed just like toys, but honestly, parents should know better. [/quote] And people wonder why I'm losing faith in humanity. Hermit crabs, bettas, bearded dragons, geckos, you name it, are [i]sentient beings.[/i] Stop treating them as if they aren't. Animals are not toys. There is a huge difference, and there should be a very clear line between the two.
Scrimshaw wrote on 2016-07-06:
And people wonder why I'm losing faith in humanity. Hermit crabs, bettas, bearded dragons, geckos, you name it, are sentient beings. Stop treating them as if they aren't. Animals are not toys. There is a huge difference, and there should be a very clear line between the two.
L O A D I N G . . .
spinning_time_gear_by_partheosis-d91zrz2.gifspinning_time_gear_by_partheosis-d91zrz2.gifspinning_time_gear_by_partheosis-d91zrz2.gifspinning_time_gear_by_partheosis-d91zrz2.gifspinning_time_gear_by_partheosis-d91zrz2.gif
i work in a store that is DEFINITELY NOT a pet store but we still sell live fish, for whatever silly reason. corporate dolla$$$ i guess.

people come through with bags of maybe 10 small goldfish and one small bowl. the iconic little round bowl. i kid you not. ten goldfish. one tiny bowl. and then they buy all these little plastic plants and spongebob decorations and i just. i scream internally.

i've only seen ONE PERSON to date buy a proper tank along with the fish they're buying.

also, people have just...left them behind on shelves......
i'm sure any fellow retail people know this but the good old just dump it wherever you are when you suddenly decide you don't need it? i've seen people do that SO OFTEN.

it's just really saddening. i'm 100% sure it's just as bad in regular pet stores, but for some reason it just kinda rubs me the wrong way when people buy the fish + all the fish things in a store that clearly knows jack about animal care.
i work in a store that is DEFINITELY NOT a pet store but we still sell live fish, for whatever silly reason. corporate dolla$$$ i guess.

people come through with bags of maybe 10 small goldfish and one small bowl. the iconic little round bowl. i kid you not. ten goldfish. one tiny bowl. and then they buy all these little plastic plants and spongebob decorations and i just. i scream internally.

i've only seen ONE PERSON to date buy a proper tank along with the fish they're buying.

also, people have just...left them behind on shelves......
i'm sure any fellow retail people know this but the good old just dump it wherever you are when you suddenly decide you don't need it? i've seen people do that SO OFTEN.

it's just really saddening. i'm 100% sure it's just as bad in regular pet stores, but for some reason it just kinda rubs me the wrong way when people buy the fish + all the fish things in a store that clearly knows jack about animal care.
1 2 3 4 5 6