Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Betta fish abuse
1 2 3 4 5 6
Yeah, I see this all the time.... Even though I want some pets really badly, I'm not gonna buy them if I can't properly care for them. For instance, I so badly want a snake. But I'm going off to college and from what I've heard, most schools have a 10 gallon tank size limit. There is no way I'm buying a snake and then having it live in a cramped infirm ment no matter how much I desire one. People need to put the pets before their own needs. So instead, I'm at least getting a tank with some guppies in it, because they're very pretty and from what I've heard, easy to care for. I'm going to do some research on tanks when I find the time.

Poor bettas. :(
Yeah, I see this all the time.... Even though I want some pets really badly, I'm not gonna buy them if I can't properly care for them. For instance, I so badly want a snake. But I'm going off to college and from what I've heard, most schools have a 10 gallon tank size limit. There is no way I'm buying a snake and then having it live in a cramped infirm ment no matter how much I desire one. People need to put the pets before their own needs. So instead, I'm at least getting a tank with some guppies in it, because they're very pretty and from what I've heard, easy to care for. I'm going to do some research on tanks when I find the time.

Poor bettas. :(
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
@Ihannan

Minimum tank size should be a 5 gallon heated and filtered. Any smaller and it becomes difficult to accurately heat and maintain a steady temperature in the water, and it's near impossible to have a stable cycle. Since betta tend to be aggressive and skittish they like heavy planted tanks with ample hiding spots and resting places. A small tank can provide none of these essentials. Inaccurate heating causes stress, which alone kills fish. No good bacteria cycle means good water quality becomes a guess.

The short answer is that Bettas may survive in a small tank, but their immune systems will be compromised due to poor heat and stress, and they will become pale and get sick easily.
@Ihannan

Minimum tank size should be a 5 gallon heated and filtered. Any smaller and it becomes difficult to accurately heat and maintain a steady temperature in the water, and it's near impossible to have a stable cycle. Since betta tend to be aggressive and skittish they like heavy planted tanks with ample hiding spots and resting places. A small tank can provide none of these essentials. Inaccurate heating causes stress, which alone kills fish. No good bacteria cycle means good water quality becomes a guess.

The short answer is that Bettas may survive in a small tank, but their immune systems will be compromised due to poor heat and stress, and they will become pale and get sick easily.
@Rielly thank you! Now I'll shoot this claim down if I hear it again! Also you made me aware that having a nickname that starts with a small l was...less wise and a recipe for confusion! I wonder how many notifications I might have missed because of this (my first week on the site properly :P)
@Rielly thank you! Now I'll shoot this claim down if I hear it again! Also you made me aware that having a nickname that starts with a small l was...less wise and a recipe for confusion! I wonder how many notifications I might have missed because of this (my first week on the site properly :P)
banner.gif
@lhannan betta fish need at least 2.5 gallons to live comfortably because thats the minimum that can be heated safely. Though my personal minimum is five gallons because they do like to patrol, my betta is living in a 15 gallon right now

Edit: Rielly is right about the cycling. While 2.5 is possible but really 5+ is best
@lhannan betta fish need at least 2.5 gallons to live comfortably because thats the minimum that can be heated safely. Though my personal minimum is five gallons because they do like to patrol, my betta is living in a 15 gallon right now

Edit: Rielly is right about the cycling. While 2.5 is possible but really 5+ is best
always feel sad seeing the betta's at the store in tiny cups x.x i had two in a 10g tank seperated but it shattered and i lost one boy down the sink so now the one left is in a 5g with some marimo balls and hes doing ok.
always feel sad seeing the betta's at the store in tiny cups x.x i had two in a 10g tank seperated but it shattered and i lost one boy down the sink so now the one left is in a 5g with some marimo balls and hes doing ok.
I lived in a college dorm, with two tanks, each with a fish.

One was a ten gallon, one was a five gallon.

Live plants, heat, filters, the works. These were the nicest tanks on campus.

Room mate had a fish... multiple fish... in mason jars. I warned her. They all died.

Mine? Still living strong. :]
I lived in a college dorm, with two tanks, each with a fish.

One was a ten gallon, one was a five gallon.

Live plants, heat, filters, the works. These were the nicest tanks on campus.

Room mate had a fish... multiple fish... in mason jars. I warned her. They all died.

Mine? Still living strong. :]
E2amngG.png04n5rQx.png8th6mfc.pngtPW2xgo.pngarOGchX.png
I hate seeing the bettas stuck in a little cup filled with crap /: And then there's these tanks: [img]http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB18LBbIXXXXXXbXpXXq6xXFXXXN/betta-fish-tank-betta-house-double-easy-tank-for-small-tropical-fish-Plenn-Plax-Double-Betta.jpg[/img] [img]http://petus.imageg.net/PETNA_36/pimg/pPETNA-5071297_main_t300x300.jpg[/img] [img]http://67.media.tumblr.com/d200631dd3ce1b620e741cf041d28e2d/tumblr_inline_n3u3xgatuP1qdhe9m.jpg[/img] They make it look like these guys are only decoration.
I hate seeing the bettas stuck in a little cup filled with crap /: And then there's these tanks:
betta-fish-tank-betta-house-double-easy-tank-for-small-tropical-fish-Plenn-Plax-Double-Betta.jpg

pPETNA-5071297_main_t300x300.jpg

tumblr_inline_n3u3xgatuP1qdhe9m.jpg

They make it look like these guys are only decoration.
o007-d01-Amorah.pngo007-d02-Amorah.pngo007-d03-Amorah.pngo007-d04-Amorah.pngs064-d01-Amorah.pngs064-d02-Amorah.pngs064-d03-Amorah.pngs064-d04-Amorah.pngs064-d05-Amorah.pngs064-d06-Amorah.pngs064-d07-Amorah.pngs064-d08-Amorah.pngs064-d09-Amorah.pngs064-d10-Amorah.pngs075-d01-Amorah.pngs075-d02-Amorah.pngs075-d03-Amorah.pngs075-d04-Amorah.pngs075-d05-Amorah.pngs075-d06-Amorah.pngo007-d05-Amorah.png
ADb9Vnz.png
@Amorah Oh god, not those things. The bettas were photoshopped in because there's no way they would look that healthy in those things. Ha!
@Amorah Oh god, not those things. The bettas were photoshopped in because there's no way they would look that healthy in those things. Ha!
@Rielly My personal favorite to say to people is "surviving doesn't mean thriving"

Also one thing that ticks me off is when people try to use an excuse for why they can't get a proper home for their betta. I can't believe the amount of times I've had to read it's "classist" to want people to buy all the minimum requirements for their Fish. Pets are a luxury not a necessity. If you can't afford to give your pet a healthy life you can't afford a pet period.
@Rielly My personal favorite to say to people is "surviving doesn't mean thriving"

Also one thing that ticks me off is when people try to use an excuse for why they can't get a proper home for their betta. I can't believe the amount of times I've had to read it's "classist" to want people to buy all the minimum requirements for their Fish. Pets are a luxury not a necessity. If you can't afford to give your pet a healthy life you can't afford a pet period.
They/Them | Wishlist | Art Blog
dJd2Y36.gif
Ugh, I hate people sometimes. Whenever I visit a pet store and see the betta fish in tiny cups, I nearly lose it. When I was little I owned a couple of bettas and they probably weren't receiving proper care because the pet store owners said that they didn't need a big tank. I just recently discovered that bettas should live for 6 years. I nearly broke down in tears because mine lived two months, two years, and one year. I never realized they needed a big tank and a lot more care than what I gave them. To be fair I was only a kid, but it still makes me sad that we never received proper information on how to care for them.

Another thing that ticks me off is when I see bearded dragons in a tiny tank. They are solitary animals and they need a lot of room, but I have seen ten in one tank before. It's horrible. The staff almost never cleans their tanks either, so there are dead crickets, withered veggies and poop in their cages. Feces should be cleaned up immediately once discovered, and dead crickets/crickets that haven't been eaten should be taken out too. It's horrible. The worst thing I ever saw was a dead baby bearded dragon. It looked starved. I was absolutely disgusted by that. How could anyone not notice it? It also didn't look more than a couple of weeks old!

TL;DR- Pet stores suck.
Ugh, I hate people sometimes. Whenever I visit a pet store and see the betta fish in tiny cups, I nearly lose it. When I was little I owned a couple of bettas and they probably weren't receiving proper care because the pet store owners said that they didn't need a big tank. I just recently discovered that bettas should live for 6 years. I nearly broke down in tears because mine lived two months, two years, and one year. I never realized they needed a big tank and a lot more care than what I gave them. To be fair I was only a kid, but it still makes me sad that we never received proper information on how to care for them.

Another thing that ticks me off is when I see bearded dragons in a tiny tank. They are solitary animals and they need a lot of room, but I have seen ten in one tank before. It's horrible. The staff almost never cleans their tanks either, so there are dead crickets, withered veggies and poop in their cages. Feces should be cleaned up immediately once discovered, and dead crickets/crickets that haven't been eaten should be taken out too. It's horrible. The worst thing I ever saw was a dead baby bearded dragon. It looked starved. I was absolutely disgusted by that. How could anyone not notice it? It also didn't look more than a couple of weeks old!

TL;DR- Pet stores suck.
Art Shop
Hatchery

celebi.giftumblr_inline_n2t76ssIwF1r9ywrd.gifshadow.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6