Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Things your parents never told you..
1 2 3 4
They never told me how scary it would be to go off to college. Soon, I have to leave my everything I've basically ever known; I have to start over again. That's so scary.
They never told me how scary it would be to go off to college. Soon, I have to leave my everything I've basically ever known; I have to start over again. That's so scary.
myriad_pixels_final.gif tumblr_inline_mwnarxpRyn1rbfrbj.png tumblr_mmku31gxWj1s8k4mqo1_100.gif tumblr_inline_mgndxoz9zS1qgc2ta.png tumblr_md4lwrCK0E1qlajmo.gif mini_meulin__free_icon__by_ran_hime-d5kut4i.gif meulin_pixel_art_by_lauralac-d5jlfme.gif nepeta___meulin_ministrife_icon_by_herpyderpos-d7jeh8m.gif tumblr_mcy2wdbQai1qesb9j.png
Well, I'm still waiting for my mum to teach me how to drive. She taught my brother when he was like twelve... ugh. I'm nearly eighteen.

Does that count? :/
Well, I'm still waiting for my mum to teach me how to drive. She taught my brother when he was like twelve... ugh. I'm nearly eighteen.

Does that count? :/
My mother's first description of homosexuality to me was 'people who do it in the butt' and I didn't have a clear grasp on the concept of being trans until I was at least fourteen because my parents never described anything like it to me. This led to a mildly embarrassing situation where I was scolded by Maddie Blaustien herself on a Pokemon forum for calling her a 'crossdresser.'

Ugh. Thanks parents. Now my fondest memory of one of my favorite deceased VAs is them thinking I was harassing them on a forum.
My mother's first description of homosexuality to me was 'people who do it in the butt' and I didn't have a clear grasp on the concept of being trans until I was at least fourteen because my parents never described anything like it to me. This led to a mildly embarrassing situation where I was scolded by Maddie Blaustien herself on a Pokemon forum for calling her a 'crossdresser.'

Ugh. Thanks parents. Now my fondest memory of one of my favorite deceased VAs is them thinking I was harassing them on a forum.
I found stars on the tip of your tongue/You speak poltergeist and so do I
dark-dragon-hatchling-water-pixel.gif
1. Get GAP insurance on any vehicle you're paying on.
1B. Keep full coverage insurance.

2. Budget. Keep everything written down and organized. Banks can and will screw you over (they're for-profit institutions, even credit unions), and good record keeping can save you a lot of woe.

3. Most bills and collectors will negotiate with you. This includes extensions, moving billing dates, and refunding late charges, if you're nice, and if you're consistent otherwise.

4. Buy the best food you can afford. Yes, Ramen might be ten cents a pack, but there's not much in the way of nutrition or calories in them. Read up on practical nutrition, and try to eat well balanced meals.

5. Leave time for yourself and your hobbies.
1. Get GAP insurance on any vehicle you're paying on.
1B. Keep full coverage insurance.

2. Budget. Keep everything written down and organized. Banks can and will screw you over (they're for-profit institutions, even credit unions), and good record keeping can save you a lot of woe.

3. Most bills and collectors will negotiate with you. This includes extensions, moving billing dates, and refunding late charges, if you're nice, and if you're consistent otherwise.

4. Buy the best food you can afford. Yes, Ramen might be ten cents a pack, but there's not much in the way of nutrition or calories in them. Read up on practical nutrition, and try to eat well balanced meals.

5. Leave time for yourself and your hobbies.
that you could be allergic to eggs/develop food allergies over time

so many years I thought I just got sick from eggs because of the sulfur in the whites or something, but when I think of all the foods I get sick from when I eat... duh! it all makes sense.
that you could be allergic to eggs/develop food allergies over time

so many years I thought I just got sick from eggs because of the sulfur in the whites or something, but when I think of all the foods I get sick from when I eat... duh! it all makes sense.
tumblr_pnm56aOHEm1r54jk5o2_250.pngtumblr_pnm56aOHEm1r54jk5o6_250.pngtumblr_pnm56aOHEm1r54jk5o5_250.pngtumblr_pnm56aOHEm1r54jk5o4_75sq.png
how do taxes work
how do taxes work
lucy | fr+8
ico_3ds_320.png
The phrase "honesty is the best policy," is a lie. There exist places such that honesty is the best policy, but at least in my country, adult society is kept afloat by a network of white lies and petty deceptions for the sake of politeness.

"Hard work will get you where you want to be," is also a lie. Hard work can get you where you want to be, but without proper support and direction, hard work will get you nowhere. Not working hard can, likewise, screw you over... unless you're lucky.

"People are basically good/evil," is also a lie. People contain both.

In the case of my parents, "You can come to us with anything/ you can lean on us," is a lie. I can come to them with anything so long as it doesn't disagree with their personal biases and doesn't negatively impact them. The rest, it is orders of magnitude better to fix myself and just not mention. Credit to them, this has served me well in dealing with bosses; I get promoted because I'm self-sufficient for the most part. On that note...

No human is truly self-sufficient. We're pack animals; we evolved that way. Leaning on people is okay. I didn't know that for the longest time.

There is strength in vulnerability. Nobody is responsible for my feelings but me and likewise I am not responsible for anyone else's. Triggers are our friends because they provide direction for things we need to work on and provide an opportunity to practice distress tolerance/ emotional regulation/ wise mind skills.

Being true to one's self is more important than any relationship. People don't need romance to be happy.

Not all parents love unconditionally. Not all parents love their kids at all.
The phrase "honesty is the best policy," is a lie. There exist places such that honesty is the best policy, but at least in my country, adult society is kept afloat by a network of white lies and petty deceptions for the sake of politeness.

"Hard work will get you where you want to be," is also a lie. Hard work can get you where you want to be, but without proper support and direction, hard work will get you nowhere. Not working hard can, likewise, screw you over... unless you're lucky.

"People are basically good/evil," is also a lie. People contain both.

In the case of my parents, "You can come to us with anything/ you can lean on us," is a lie. I can come to them with anything so long as it doesn't disagree with their personal biases and doesn't negatively impact them. The rest, it is orders of magnitude better to fix myself and just not mention. Credit to them, this has served me well in dealing with bosses; I get promoted because I'm self-sufficient for the most part. On that note...

No human is truly self-sufficient. We're pack animals; we evolved that way. Leaning on people is okay. I didn't know that for the longest time.

There is strength in vulnerability. Nobody is responsible for my feelings but me and likewise I am not responsible for anyone else's. Triggers are our friends because they provide direction for things we need to work on and provide an opportunity to practice distress tolerance/ emotional regulation/ wise mind skills.

Being true to one's self is more important than any relationship. People don't need romance to be happy.

Not all parents love unconditionally. Not all parents love their kids at all.
hoMNYDJ.png
Things I can't voice on this site xD
Things I can't voice on this site xD
187008e47976df5e48be1a2aaddf54ba4af76fbc.gif
I never knew about trans or gay people or any sexuality. They still never told me about it. Thanks to the Internet and the people, I now know. >_>
I never knew about trans or gay people or any sexuality. They still never told me about it. Thanks to the Internet and the people, I now know. >_>
MVxSTuW.jpg
@iRoyaltea MY PARENTS NEVER TOllD ME THAT ETHER! I was on a 5 hour trip to Branson and it started while i was in the mountains I thought I way dying XD
@iRoyaltea MY PARENTS NEVER TOllD ME THAT ETHER! I was on a 5 hour trip to Branson and it started while i was in the mountains I thought I way dying XD
NXwxhXo.png
1 2 3 4