Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Imagine if Neopets Mechanics were on FR
I took a quick break from the coliseum a bit ago because i saw on Neopets that the turmaculus was awake, and that made me think.
Could you imagine if half the features Neopets has (or had) were on ANY modern pet-site??

Like, "Oh Sorry, while you were battling the Mossy Pohip, it decided it wanted a snack and ate your familiar" or "You refreshed the page, and now your profile dragon is a different color/species/gene-set" (granted i know events like this on neopets have been removed, but they were still at one point a feature)
"While trying to change your familiar, they actually turned into a pile of ash! oh well guess you need to collect that one again"

it's kinda funny to think about how people just, accept these mechanics? (or at least deal with them) on Neopets bc they've been around for so long, but if you picture them on any other modern pet site people would not be happy aksdjh. I think about this every so often while playing both sites.
I took a quick break from the coliseum a bit ago because i saw on Neopets that the turmaculus was awake, and that made me think.
Could you imagine if half the features Neopets has (or had) were on ANY modern pet-site??

Like, "Oh Sorry, while you were battling the Mossy Pohip, it decided it wanted a snack and ate your familiar" or "You refreshed the page, and now your profile dragon is a different color/species/gene-set" (granted i know events like this on neopets have been removed, but they were still at one point a feature)
"While trying to change your familiar, they actually turned into a pile of ash! oh well guess you need to collect that one again"

it's kinda funny to think about how people just, accept these mechanics? (or at least deal with them) on Neopets bc they've been around for so long, but if you picture them on any other modern pet site people would not be happy aksdjh. I think about this every so often while playing both sites.
EpekmtO.png Want a worm on a string? Wa7a43p.png
As someone who lost multiple paint brushes, a couple expensive-ish stamps and once had the tax beast take over a million neopoints?

All was forgiven once I was collecting 250k in interest per day. The only reason I put up with RNG losses was because bank interest allowed me to ruin any part of the economy I wanted.

I can't believe I started playing Neopets on dial-up. Or that work let me play during breaks.

Here it would be "Crim stole my Filigree scroll,"Pinkerton dropped a food item on my head" and "Swipp took random stuff and gave something weird back."

Hard pass.
As someone who lost multiple paint brushes, a couple expensive-ish stamps and once had the tax beast take over a million neopoints?

All was forgiven once I was collecting 250k in interest per day. The only reason I put up with RNG losses was because bank interest allowed me to ruin any part of the economy I wanted.

I can't believe I started playing Neopets on dial-up. Or that work let me play during breaks.

Here it would be "Crim stole my Filigree scroll,"Pinkerton dropped a food item on my head" and "Swipp took random stuff and gave something weird back."

Hard pass.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
i've never played neopets but i have heard about this mechanic it has that, while it has since been removed, is still insane it was implemented at all: the site would randomly steal your neopoints & you as well as a bunch of fellow unlucky schmucks would get featured at the front page of the site on an unlucky-people-people-of the day board.

imagine if you managed to stock up on millions of treasures & thousands of gems only for the site to YOINK either one or both & then feature you on a board of shame at the very front of the site

no thanks, chief x-x
i've never played neopets but i have heard about this mechanic it has that, while it has since been removed, is still insane it was implemented at all: the site would randomly steal your neopoints & you as well as a bunch of fellow unlucky schmucks would get featured at the front page of the site on an unlucky-people-people-of the day board.

imagine if you managed to stock up on millions of treasures & thousands of gems only for the site to YOINK either one or both & then feature you on a board of shame at the very front of the site

no thanks, chief x-x
megastar 4 ever whooo!!!
3a0YNzz.png aesq82D.gif
I think if FR started implementing the same mechanics as Neopets, I'd just stop playing (source: I am an ex-Neopets player who solely focuses on building personal canon with his group of Aishas now because I didn't want to totally abandon them...)

Imagine if everybody's dragon names had to be completely unique lol
I think if FR started implementing the same mechanics as Neopets, I'd just stop playing (source: I am an ex-Neopets player who solely focuses on building personal canon with his group of Aishas now because I didn't want to totally abandon them...)

9s8wmF5.png z6OgJbN.png
iuEBSJ3.png
OETsgJU.png
Pgv53XB.png
2VtxnMX.png
oaolHwW.png
Al1BEGR.png
cdqdRxL.png
ll0CfnD.png
3M48cU6.png
image.png
oNrZjs5.png
8GgdVkW.png
image.png
PQqYbln.png
gP8rZcU.png
i actually love those aspects of neopets. the thrill of rng events was always my favourite part of the site. the fact the site can "interact" with you makes it feel a bit more like a game. sometimes you win (rngs that give you paint brushes or other rare items) and sometimes you lose (rngs that steal yo cash). the p2w currency was never touched, so that was never an issue.

plus, these events are just kind of funny. i feel like the players on neopets are a lot more prone to just accepting it when these things happen to them. the vibe i get from the community on fr though is that everyone would get extremely salty about it, so it's no wonder they haven't introduced negative rng events. then again, maybe it's just a matter of exposure.

either way, i would welcome those kind of events, because at the end of the day virtual pet site currency isn't that deep, and being put on a public clown list for everyone to shame would make my day and go into my beloved screenshots folder immediately. but that's just me.
i actually love those aspects of neopets. the thrill of rng events was always my favourite part of the site. the fact the site can "interact" with you makes it feel a bit more like a game. sometimes you win (rngs that give you paint brushes or other rare items) and sometimes you lose (rngs that steal yo cash). the p2w currency was never touched, so that was never an issue.

plus, these events are just kind of funny. i feel like the players on neopets are a lot more prone to just accepting it when these things happen to them. the vibe i get from the community on fr though is that everyone would get extremely salty about it, so it's no wonder they haven't introduced negative rng events. then again, maybe it's just a matter of exposure.

either way, i would welcome those kind of events, because at the end of the day virtual pet site currency isn't that deep, and being put on a public clown list for everyone to shame would make my day and go into my beloved screenshots folder immediately. but that's just me.
gEQYnxI.png
just imagine it... we could be living in dragon poverty in a hyperinflated economy. and there would be a giant dragon omelet somewhere... [quote]Imagine if everybody's dragon names had to be completely unique lol[/quote] i think dragon cave still does this. i remember being mildly frustrated by it 10 years ago, i don't even want to think about what it must be like now xD
just imagine it... we could be living in dragon poverty in a hyperinflated economy. and there would be a giant dragon omelet somewhere...

Quote:

i think dragon cave still does this. i remember being mildly frustrated by it 10 years ago, i don't even want to think about what it must be like now xD

ani_mdrt_134_ms.gif

G8AyR6r.png
160P7Fb.png

btn-rtts.png

ico-a_old_134.gif
SUMMER READING LIST:
3/???
CURRENTLY READING:
inbetween
DragonCave does have name exclusivity. It’s actually a major sore spot with the community- those who have played 10+ years are very possessive over “common” names like “Bob.”
It’s not a good mechanic. I’m glad FR doesn’t make me name dragons stuff like “64fjHd.”
DragonCave does have name exclusivity. It’s actually a major sore spot with the community- those who have played 10+ years are very possessive over “common” names like “Bob.”
It’s not a good mechanic. I’m glad FR doesn’t make me name dragons stuff like “64fjHd.”
RSUsSvx.png
My avatar Neopet was randomly changed from a Darigan Hissi to a baby Hissi. I was so freaking miffed because that Darigan PB cost me 1.4m NP. At least I was sitting on a ton of savings so I could just waltz over to the Faerie Tower and buy another one to change her back.

Immediately swapped my active pet to one that I was experimenting with paints anyway.

I'd perish if FR had that mechanic. But random events that only drop you bonuses items/a small handful of treasure or a single gem just for doing your typical activities, why not? Random events should always be positive or neutral and never negative.
My avatar Neopet was randomly changed from a Darigan Hissi to a baby Hissi. I was so freaking miffed because that Darigan PB cost me 1.4m NP. At least I was sitting on a ton of savings so I could just waltz over to the Faerie Tower and buy another one to change her back.

Immediately swapped my active pet to one that I was experimenting with paints anyway.

I'd perish if FR had that mechanic. But random events that only drop you bonuses items/a small handful of treasure or a single gem just for doing your typical activities, why not? Random events should always be positive or neutral and never negative.
[ jxckalito ]
hoarding dragons and dreaming of lore

[ lore ] [ link ] [ link ]
[quote name="wonderwild" date="2024-07-11 05:34:29" ] i actually love those aspects of neopets. the thrill of rng events was always my favourite part of the site. the fact the site can "interact" with you makes it feel a bit more like a game. sometimes you win (rngs that give you paint brushes or other rare items) and sometimes you lose (rngs that steal yo cash). the p2w currency was never touched, so that was never an issue. plus, these events are just kind of funny. i feel like the players on neopets are a lot more prone to just accepting it when these things happen to them. the vibe i get from the community on fr though is that everyone would get extremely salty about it, so it's no wonder they haven't introduced negative rng events. then again, maybe it's just a matter of exposure. either way, i would welcome those kind of events, because at the end of the day virtual pet site currency isn't that deep, and being put on a public clown list for everyone to shame would make my day and go into my beloved screenshots folder immediately. but that's just me. [/quote] I'm glad I'm not the only one. I actually think Neopets' mechanics are still superior to most sites, to be honest. But also, most of the negative events are really, really, REALLY rare. There's one that is actually so rare that it was unconfirmed for a long time whether or not it even existed.
wonderwild wrote on 2024-07-11 05:34:29:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I actually think Neopets' mechanics are still superior to most sites, to be honest.

But also, most of the negative events are really, really, REALLY rare. There's one that is actually so rare that it was unconfirmed for a long time whether or not it even existed.

I'll make a nice signature eventually :(
pvp here sounds cool (in theory....) random events would be really funny,
it would mostly suck though sadly

edit: well i was partially lying, i love the interactability (is that a word...) of neopets and im curious to know what new npcs and items people would add if they had the chance (if you think about it genes and skins are kinda like the paintbrushes i guess)
pvp here sounds cool (in theory....) random events would be really funny,
it would mostly suck though sadly

edit: well i was partially lying, i love the interactability (is that a word...) of neopets and im curious to know what new npcs and items people would add if they had the chance (if you think about it genes and skins are kinda like the paintbrushes i guess)