Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Going to First Con! 8 Days Away!
1 2 3
I"m going to comic con in Kansas city in 8 days, any advise? I have a bit of money to spend! Tell me, would it be weird, if I am not comfortable with photos, to ask people to take a photo with a plushie instead?

Also, is it rude to barter in the dealers den? Ofc, not the artist alley. I just need some ediquite advice.
I"m going to comic con in Kansas city in 8 days, any advise? I have a bit of money to spend! Tell me, would it be weird, if I am not comfortable with photos, to ask people to take a photo with a plushie instead?

Also, is it rude to barter in the dealers den? Ofc, not the artist alley. I just need some ediquite advice.
CrumbledCandy.gif 92n1dwB.png" alt="92n1dwB.jpg
Please feel free to ping me whenever!
If you could like Eosphoros, that would be great!
Wish and something might just appear in your hand!
(enter your wish on my profile)

G8AyR6r.png
I mean cons are a place where "weird" people get to meet other "weird" people and have fun, so asking for "weird" things like taking photos with a plushie is not that crazy! (I have heard of way crazier things happening at cons) People should respect you not being comfortable being in photos (me neither buddy), and if they don't want to take a picture with your plushie, that should be respected as well.

Have fun! :D
I mean cons are a place where "weird" people get to meet other "weird" people and have fun, so asking for "weird" things like taking photos with a plushie is not that crazy! (I have heard of way crazier things happening at cons) People should respect you not being comfortable being in photos (me neither buddy), and if they don't want to take a picture with your plushie, that should be respected as well.

Have fun! :D
5409.png bDmZHbw.png
Soloee
windiishe/her
cs dv
Idk what I'm doing ~
a129Nss.png
NJY6F8t.png
IrrC5OJ.png
8094.png
I've personally gone to Comic Con Revolution once, and one thing I would definitely recommend is to bring some cash money with you since some vendors will charge you less with cash compared to card if they accept both payment options. Plus from my experience, some vendors will only be interested in making transactions with you if you have cash on you. But most importantly, have fun out there! [emoji=aberration laughing size=1]
I've personally gone to Comic Con Revolution once, and one thing I would definitely recommend is to bring some cash money with you since some vendors will charge you less with cash compared to card if they accept both payment options. Plus from my experience, some vendors will only be interested in making transactions with you if you have cash on you.

But most importantly, have fun out there!
7jRUFbW.png
When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home
7kHxxxY.png
Okay, this is me cracking my knuckles, so get ready, heh.

Firstly, wear comfortable shoes. You will be doing a lot of standing and walking about. Even a youngling can get a sore back after just one day, so you don't wanna be miserable the rest of the convention.

Do not buy everything you see within the first few minutes of getting onto the convention floor. You will be broke and I have seen people literally beg for food money because they got overzealous in the dealer's room. Take your time, set a budget, shop around for price differences, and remember--you can always buy the same items online later for perhaps a lower cost. It's just the convenience of it being there immediately. And, if you're going on Saturday and Sunday, check prices on the final day. Some vendors will come down on their prices to ensure they sell their wares. The only drawback is the pickings might be slim, but they may be cheaper.

Food. I cannot stress this enough, do not try to live off ramune and pocky. You will be tired and cranky. If the convention doesn't allow outside food--and most don't--plan a trip to get some actual, decent grub for your meals. (As in treat yourself to a restaurant meal if you can afford it and it's not too far away.) A single banana saved me at Otakon 2008 when I was feeling woozy and I swear by granola bars for in between snackage.

Lip balm. Keep those kissers hydrated!

Permission is key--always ask if it's okay to take someone's picture. I'm sure most will love to have their picture taken with your plushie if you just ask them, but respect them if they decline.

Pace yourself--you will most likely get overwhelmed in a new, fun atmosphere, so remember to take breaks as needed! There will be loads of people and it can get cramped at times, so always be mindful of yourself and others.

Deodorant. Goes without saying.

Most importantly, do your best to make the most of the convention! I--as a convention veteran--am glad to hear you're going to your first one and hope it's an amazing time! If I think of any other advice to give, I'll be sure to let you know!
Okay, this is me cracking my knuckles, so get ready, heh.

Firstly, wear comfortable shoes. You will be doing a lot of standing and walking about. Even a youngling can get a sore back after just one day, so you don't wanna be miserable the rest of the convention.

Do not buy everything you see within the first few minutes of getting onto the convention floor. You will be broke and I have seen people literally beg for food money because they got overzealous in the dealer's room. Take your time, set a budget, shop around for price differences, and remember--you can always buy the same items online later for perhaps a lower cost. It's just the convenience of it being there immediately. And, if you're going on Saturday and Sunday, check prices on the final day. Some vendors will come down on their prices to ensure they sell their wares. The only drawback is the pickings might be slim, but they may be cheaper.

Food. I cannot stress this enough, do not try to live off ramune and pocky. You will be tired and cranky. If the convention doesn't allow outside food--and most don't--plan a trip to get some actual, decent grub for your meals. (As in treat yourself to a restaurant meal if you can afford it and it's not too far away.) A single banana saved me at Otakon 2008 when I was feeling woozy and I swear by granola bars for in between snackage.

Lip balm. Keep those kissers hydrated!

Permission is key--always ask if it's okay to take someone's picture. I'm sure most will love to have their picture taken with your plushie if you just ask them, but respect them if they decline.

Pace yourself--you will most likely get overwhelmed in a new, fun atmosphere, so remember to take breaks as needed! There will be loads of people and it can get cramped at times, so always be mindful of yourself and others.

Deodorant. Goes without saying.

Most importantly, do your best to make the most of the convention! I--as a convention veteran--am glad to hear you're going to your first one and hope it's an amazing time! If I think of any other advice to give, I'll be sure to let you know!
9iqeDz7.png
@Loniface hello hello! I hope you don't mind the ping, but I have a few questions about panels? what is a good number to go to if you are just going for the day? and how early should you be in line before it starts?

And I know this is a lot of questions, you don't need to answer them, but if you have the answers and want to:

How loud does it get?

Does the con allow a few snacky foods into the venue, like a protein bar and a packaged protein cookie?

Do people often steal at cons? I have a back covered to the brim with keychains and pins (they have safety-pins on them so they don't fall off) would you recommend me to not bring it?

How early to the con should I be? if it starts at 10am, should I be there at like 9-9:30?

are there any quiet places to go at the cons? I can get overwhelmed often, and I am autistic and sometimes need to be away from noise.

If I had a moderately large plushie that I would carry around, would I get some weird looks? I have two options for a plushie. One is small, one is around a foot and a half long and like ten inches wide. The bigger one is a comfort item, and might help me cope better, but I don't want to lose it or get it dirty. Plus, it might get me strange looks.

And lastly, do you know the price range of the art commissions offered at the artist alley?
@Loniface hello hello! I hope you don't mind the ping, but I have a few questions about panels? what is a good number to go to if you are just going for the day? and how early should you be in line before it starts?

And I know this is a lot of questions, you don't need to answer them, but if you have the answers and want to:

How loud does it get?

Does the con allow a few snacky foods into the venue, like a protein bar and a packaged protein cookie?

Do people often steal at cons? I have a back covered to the brim with keychains and pins (they have safety-pins on them so they don't fall off) would you recommend me to not bring it?

How early to the con should I be? if it starts at 10am, should I be there at like 9-9:30?

are there any quiet places to go at the cons? I can get overwhelmed often, and I am autistic and sometimes need to be away from noise.

If I had a moderately large plushie that I would carry around, would I get some weird looks? I have two options for a plushie. One is small, one is around a foot and a half long and like ten inches wide. The bigger one is a comfort item, and might help me cope better, but I don't want to lose it or get it dirty. Plus, it might get me strange looks.

And lastly, do you know the price range of the art commissions offered at the artist alley?

G8AyR6r.png
Oh woah! Have fun! <3
Oh woah! Have fun! <3
Duanwu will shamelessly eat your likes. Art by celaine.
Some day, there will be art here.
Wishlist | Lore [WIP] | Gallery | Archive
G1 sales thread here.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Harvest RaffleKeikoKat's Raffe
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sorry for the delay, but hopefully I can answer some of your questions adequately!

You will want to get into the panel room early if you want a good (or any) seat, but make sure you're not interrupting another panel in-progress by showing up too early. I'd say get there within fifteen to twenty minutes and wait nearby, allowing the other con-goers to exit the panel room before jumping in.

Loudness? It can get very loud. There are a lot of excited people of all ages and they're all talking at once. It's a positive loudness, but loudness all the same. As far as quiet places go, you may have to actually go outside of the venue to get some peace, but as long as you have your badge/wristband, you can always go back in when ready.

The last few conventions I went to did not allow food of any kind inside. If they check your bags, and they might, you may have to eat what you have right then and there. But, that's an if. Not all conventions are finicky like that. You may be able to carry small snacks inside. I wish I could better answer this question, but check out your convention's rules and regulations just to be sure.

You won't be the only one decorated with pins and buttons, so you shouldn't have to worry about theft, but I would advise to be aware of your surroundings at all times regardless. One time, someone dropped their Eevee plushie in front of me and I was thankfully the one who noticed, and I quickly got it back to them. I've also taken plenty of debit cards/identification cards to the lost and found. People get a little oblivious in large crowds, but just having a little self-awareness goes a long way!

As far as time goes, you will want to show up early and get in line. An hour is a good time. Sucks to have to stand outside for that long, but the lines will fill up very quickly. Cons are good about getting everyone in fast, though.

Are you pre-registered or no? If not, get there very early. Fire code only allows a certain amount of people in the venue at a time, and if you're not registered, you can get stuck waiting even longer for available space. If you're pre-registered--and I HIGHLY encourage it--they'll have a quicker line to get you in even faster. Thing is, I've seen con-goers standing outside in the rain all day waiting for a chance to attend and not get in because the venue was just too full to accommodate everyone. So, again, pre-registration!

I am a very old woman (okay, not that old, but still) and I actually tote plushies around the convention all the time. You will not be the only one, I can assure this 100%. Feel free to carry to your heart's content! Thing is, you're going to see a lot of like-minded people at a convention. They're all gathered there with the same interests, so you'll fit right in! And, with vendors selling them, nearly everyone will have a plushie or eight. It's totally fine!

And, finally, art will vary in price, but I've seen most artists sell their prints around $10-15 and run specials for multiple-item purchases. Hand-made crafts will have a heavier price, and it's justified.

Whew, I feel my knowledge draining out of me, heh. But, I am still ready to answer questions if you have any more! I myself am getting ready to attend an anime convention in May, and talking about conventions in-general has me all kinds of excited!
Sorry for the delay, but hopefully I can answer some of your questions adequately!

You will want to get into the panel room early if you want a good (or any) seat, but make sure you're not interrupting another panel in-progress by showing up too early. I'd say get there within fifteen to twenty minutes and wait nearby, allowing the other con-goers to exit the panel room before jumping in.

Loudness? It can get very loud. There are a lot of excited people of all ages and they're all talking at once. It's a positive loudness, but loudness all the same. As far as quiet places go, you may have to actually go outside of the venue to get some peace, but as long as you have your badge/wristband, you can always go back in when ready.

The last few conventions I went to did not allow food of any kind inside. If they check your bags, and they might, you may have to eat what you have right then and there. But, that's an if. Not all conventions are finicky like that. You may be able to carry small snacks inside. I wish I could better answer this question, but check out your convention's rules and regulations just to be sure.

You won't be the only one decorated with pins and buttons, so you shouldn't have to worry about theft, but I would advise to be aware of your surroundings at all times regardless. One time, someone dropped their Eevee plushie in front of me and I was thankfully the one who noticed, and I quickly got it back to them. I've also taken plenty of debit cards/identification cards to the lost and found. People get a little oblivious in large crowds, but just having a little self-awareness goes a long way!

As far as time goes, you will want to show up early and get in line. An hour is a good time. Sucks to have to stand outside for that long, but the lines will fill up very quickly. Cons are good about getting everyone in fast, though.

Are you pre-registered or no? If not, get there very early. Fire code only allows a certain amount of people in the venue at a time, and if you're not registered, you can get stuck waiting even longer for available space. If you're pre-registered--and I HIGHLY encourage it--they'll have a quicker line to get you in even faster. Thing is, I've seen con-goers standing outside in the rain all day waiting for a chance to attend and not get in because the venue was just too full to accommodate everyone. So, again, pre-registration!

I am a very old woman (okay, not that old, but still) and I actually tote plushies around the convention all the time. You will not be the only one, I can assure this 100%. Feel free to carry to your heart's content! Thing is, you're going to see a lot of like-minded people at a convention. They're all gathered there with the same interests, so you'll fit right in! And, with vendors selling them, nearly everyone will have a plushie or eight. It's totally fine!

And, finally, art will vary in price, but I've seen most artists sell their prints around $10-15 and run specials for multiple-item purchases. Hand-made crafts will have a heavier price, and it's justified.

Whew, I feel my knowledge draining out of me, heh. But, I am still ready to answer questions if you have any more! I myself am getting ready to attend an anime convention in May, and talking about conventions in-general has me all kinds of excited!
9iqeDz7.png
Oh how exciting! Man, I didn't realize KC was having a con, I could've went if I would have booked something in time! I've never been to a convention but I'd absolutely love to someday! :) I hope you have lots of fun!
Oh how exciting! Man, I didn't realize KC was having a con, I could've went if I would have booked something in time! I've never been to a convention but I'd absolutely love to someday! :) I hope you have lots of fun!
a3665186-2e54-4922-869a-430b41931c92.png
█████████████████
███████████████
███
She/her - 23 - Artist

Trigun Stampede - Dr. Stone
Fleet Foxes - Delicious in Dungeon

@loniface hello hello! Thank you so much for your answers you are a gem! Thank you so much!!!!

Also, is pre-registering just buying your tickets beforehand? Because if that is so, I think I got that covered! :D
@loniface hello hello! Thank you so much for your answers you are a gem! Thank you so much!!!!

Also, is pre-registering just buying your tickets beforehand? Because if that is so, I think I got that covered! :D

G8AyR6r.png
No problem, my friend!

And, yes, pre-registering means you already have your passes bought and paid for.

If you post about your experiences after the convention, I'd love to hear about them!
No problem, my friend!

And, yes, pre-registering means you already have your passes bought and paid for.

If you post about your experiences after the convention, I'd love to hear about them!
9iqeDz7.png
1 2 3