Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Unpopular media you like?
[quote name="luckydragonwolf" date="2023-12-29 20:13:39" ] More of some sections of the Pokemon fandom, but i ADORE pokespe (yellow is my pfp wherever i can have it) and also just. i adore johto, one of the more forgotten regions within the pokemon series. sometimes i have to defend myself for liking it because "it has no story" (if it had a story i bet people would complain about it anyway), "the level scaling is bad" (but exp candies are fine?), "half of the game is literally kanto" (at the time of gen 2, this was a near-impossible marvel of storage), "chikorita sucks" (sure, going through brock and misty with a fire type is fine, but going through falkner and bugsy with a grass type isnt? coward /lh) my advice for enjoying the unpopular things from pokemon like johto and galar is that the fandom will cram their complaints down your throat at every turn - ignore them. pokemon is so good when you dont have people in your ear telling you it sucks <3 [/quote] I have no clue how people can dislike Johto when Heartgold and Soulsilver, arguably two of the BEST Pokemon games, are set there. Literally all of the regions have some silly issue with them (everyone loves Sinnoh but it's HM hell with a singular non starter fire type before postgame)
luckydragonwolf wrote on 2023-12-29 20:13:39:
More of some sections of the Pokemon fandom, but i ADORE pokespe (yellow is my pfp wherever i can have it) and also just. i adore johto, one of the more forgotten regions within the pokemon series. sometimes i have to defend myself for liking it because "it has no story" (if it had a story i bet people would complain about it anyway), "the level scaling is bad" (but exp candies are fine?), "half of the game is literally kanto" (at the time of gen 2, this was a near-impossible marvel of storage), "chikorita sucks" (sure, going through brock and misty with a fire type is fine, but going through falkner and bugsy with a grass type isnt? coward /lh)

my advice for enjoying the unpopular things from pokemon like johto and galar is that the fandom will cram their complaints down your throat at every turn - ignore them. pokemon is so good when you dont have people in your ear telling you it sucks <3

I have no clue how people can dislike Johto when Heartgold and Soulsilver, arguably two of the BEST Pokemon games, are set there. Literally all of the regions have some silly issue with them (everyone loves Sinnoh but it's HM hell with a singular non starter fire type before postgame)
KNiDL_Star_Rod_sprite.png 7nrEOpT.png
bYt72YT.png
Zn1clbn.png
9vwqdfK.png
tyEuRXe.png
9R2Unq1.png
CeZAyqc.png
lA1sWNh.png
Collector of gen 1 aethers, imperial enjoyer, old dragon admirer, sprite/nymph adorer
AI bros DNI
KNiDL_Star_Rod_icon.png
Probably Neal Shusterman's book series Everlost and Unwound. I'd say they're slightly unpopular because I haven't seen much fandom for them. If anyone knows his books its probably for Scythe (great series btw). His one off books are also really good and I'm a huge fan of all of his works
Probably Neal Shusterman's book series Everlost and Unwound. I'd say they're slightly unpopular because I haven't seen much fandom for them. If anyone knows his books its probably for Scythe (great series btw). His one off books are also really good and I'm a huge fan of all of his works
BJmjb0y.pngT45QsK.png T4G0l9.png
i really liked the jungle book remake and thought the lion king one was fine
i really liked the jungle book remake and thought the lion king one was fine
9121892.png xxxxx
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
@2Blue2BTrue

Mune is such an adorable and strange movie, I watched it with my partner and we both loved it to death!! Wasn't expecting the 2D segment at all but it was lovely to see.

@Bugdude88

Literally a god-tier movie. It's stunning visually and the fact the characters are so much more than simple black and white is such a refreshing take. Disney would never, not now. Too cowardly </3

-

I'd say Nexomon/Nexomon: Extinction for me. I never see anything about that game anywhere but it's super fun.
The first game is a bit rocky gameplay-wise and there's a section/area that's a bit insensitive... But if you can acknowledge that and move past it it's a genuinely interesting game with solid designs.
The second game takes everything great and cranks it up a notch.
Apparently they've been working on a 3rd with a more 3D style and it looks super cute! Keeping the style of the last 2 games in design too.

-

Sort of unrelated, but here anyway.

I have a pet peeve when people call games like this one a 'Pokemon clone' or a ripoff. The genre is called Monster Tamer and Pokemon isn't the only one in it. It frustrates me to no end when people attack other games from the genre for 'copying' Pokemon when that's literally how the entire genre works.
People don't unleash slander on Digimon despite being the same genre, so why should they treat other games different!
People complain about Pokemon games being worse now but the second they have the chance to try a new franchise they start hounding it for being a shameless copy.
@2Blue2BTrue

Mune is such an adorable and strange movie, I watched it with my partner and we both loved it to death!! Wasn't expecting the 2D segment at all but it was lovely to see.

@Bugdude88

Literally a god-tier movie. It's stunning visually and the fact the characters are so much more than simple black and white is such a refreshing take. Disney would never, not now. Too cowardly </3

-

I'd say Nexomon/Nexomon: Extinction for me. I never see anything about that game anywhere but it's super fun.
The first game is a bit rocky gameplay-wise and there's a section/area that's a bit insensitive... But if you can acknowledge that and move past it it's a genuinely interesting game with solid designs.
The second game takes everything great and cranks it up a notch.
Apparently they've been working on a 3rd with a more 3D style and it looks super cute! Keeping the style of the last 2 games in design too.

-

Sort of unrelated, but here anyway.

I have a pet peeve when people call games like this one a 'Pokemon clone' or a ripoff. The genre is called Monster Tamer and Pokemon isn't the only one in it. It frustrates me to no end when people attack other games from the genre for 'copying' Pokemon when that's literally how the entire genre works.
People don't unleash slander on Digimon despite being the same genre, so why should they treat other games different!
People complain about Pokemon games being worse now but the second they have the chance to try a new franchise they start hounding it for being a shameless copy.
|Art Shop
SZ6yYcj.png
@QuetzalMuse

I was around back when Pokémon and Digimon first started and believe me, it was vicious back then with the allegations of copying. Now there's none because they have diverged so differently that there's literally no way you could accuse one of copying the other (not that you really could back in the beginning but that didn't stop people, namely Pokémon fans, they have always been a bit zealous).

Honestly, I wish there were more games in the genre, if only to show Nintendo/Game Freak/The Pokefans that they don't own the monopoly on the genre just because of Pokémon. It's one of the reasons I love the look of Palmon, because it's so drastically different but clearly poking fun at Pokémon and honestly looks like a lot of fun. Shame that Nintendo is probably gonna come at them hard because of the potentially ripped models...

As for my own media joys, honestly there's so much, namely in the horror genre, that people give so much hate to because it's not "triple A top tier critic loved".

For movies, the Conjuring series and the Insidious series are both so genuinely good, I absolutely adore them. There hasn't been a single movie in those series that I disliked. But because the critics didn't like any of them, most people won't even give them a second glance (meanwhile the stuff that critics love, like the "horror" movie Oculus or the entirety of the Avengers films, I found genuinely boring).

In games? The Calling on the Wii. It was a Horror game with some pretty nifty little mechanics, like using the wiimote as a phone for spirits to contact you or even sending you messages through the Wii notification system. It was genuinely creepy and while a little janky in the controls, it was just so so so good.
Pretty much eveyu person I've spoken to about it? Wouldn't even give it the time of day because "it's a Fatal Frame clone". Thing is, aside from it being Japanese and it having ghosts, there's NOTHING about it that's like Fatal Frame, a series I adore. ZERO similarities whatsoever, and this genuinely made me mad because Dreadout, a mediocre game that the Devs ADMITTED was "inspired" by Fatal Frame, was APPLAUDED for the similarities to FF.
@QuetzalMuse

I was around back when Pokémon and Digimon first started and believe me, it was vicious back then with the allegations of copying. Now there's none because they have diverged so differently that there's literally no way you could accuse one of copying the other (not that you really could back in the beginning but that didn't stop people, namely Pokémon fans, they have always been a bit zealous).

Honestly, I wish there were more games in the genre, if only to show Nintendo/Game Freak/The Pokefans that they don't own the monopoly on the genre just because of Pokémon. It's one of the reasons I love the look of Palmon, because it's so drastically different but clearly poking fun at Pokémon and honestly looks like a lot of fun. Shame that Nintendo is probably gonna come at them hard because of the potentially ripped models...

As for my own media joys, honestly there's so much, namely in the horror genre, that people give so much hate to because it's not "triple A top tier critic loved".

For movies, the Conjuring series and the Insidious series are both so genuinely good, I absolutely adore them. There hasn't been a single movie in those series that I disliked. But because the critics didn't like any of them, most people won't even give them a second glance (meanwhile the stuff that critics love, like the "horror" movie Oculus or the entirety of the Avengers films, I found genuinely boring).

In games? The Calling on the Wii. It was a Horror game with some pretty nifty little mechanics, like using the wiimote as a phone for spirits to contact you or even sending you messages through the Wii notification system. It was genuinely creepy and while a little janky in the controls, it was just so so so good.
Pretty much eveyu person I've spoken to about it? Wouldn't even give it the time of day because "it's a Fatal Frame clone". Thing is, aside from it being Japanese and it having ghosts, there's NOTHING about it that's like Fatal Frame, a series I adore. ZERO similarities whatsoever, and this genuinely made me mad because Dreadout, a mediocre game that the Devs ADMITTED was "inspired" by Fatal Frame, was APPLAUDED for the similarities to FF.
*Looks at lair* Ah yes. Organised chaos.
KASr4bY.png
Most people have stated that they didn't like it, but Pixar's Elemental is a big favorite of mine. I love Pixar films in general, but Elemental is one of the more comforting ones for me. It really isn't appreciated enough.
Most people have stated that they didn't like it, but Pixar's Elemental is a big favorite of mine. I love Pixar films in general, but Elemental is one of the more comforting ones for me. It really isn't appreciated enough.
MUYNhfy.png
mTAp2ld.png
u6ZPWxO.png
zzLpW3R.png
gUe2de3.png
FR Artist
Tumblr
f3JUYSL.png
I'm a huge fan of musicals, I used to watch them with my mom as a kid. The Matilda musical that came out last year is fabulous.
I'm a huge fan of musicals, I used to watch them with my mom as a kid. The Matilda musical that came out last year is fabulous.
tundrasig_small.png
#1 Speckle Fan * Old Dragon Collector * FR+3
spykids 3

rwby????
spykids 3

rwby????

NN9NPXA.png
P9aWhak.png
OxagJgG.png
WKtl2lb.png
haxorus.gif

t3kr0g.png
[quote name="firenyx45" date="2023-12-24 09:06:48" ] i like fire emblem fates. i like the characters. i like CORRIN. im tired of having to defend the fact that i like it "despite the poor writing choices" whenever it comes up in conversation. there's so much negativity and i'm just like Teehee Dragon [/quote] i like fates too the story is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than engage lol conquest has such an interesting story also [spoiler]anankos[/spoiler] is so cool [quote name="Inuka" date="2023-12-30 03:09:43" ] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate This is not really about the game itself but more about a certain mechanic: underwater combat. I liked it and I want it to return. [/quote] meeee i am very nostalgic for this entry in particular i need lagiacrus to return also dire miralis too [quote name="Lunavagans" date="2024-01-22 12:15:51" ] The movie Professor Layton and the eternal Diva. Watched it once (1) with my family after watching it a few times alone and stopped after they criticized it without naming one good thing, which they absolutely could?? The music which is a main theme throughout and impossible to not notice? But also the story overall. The Layton series was a big part of my childhood. [/quote] was that the first movie? i really liked it too, i was so surprised to see it available to borrow at hotel mine arent hated but they are niche: -muramasa the demon blade: i want port on switch pls -crimson shroud: also want on switch -endless ocean: pleeease switch port please -fragile farewell ruins of the moon: i regret selling mine
firenyx45 wrote on 2023-12-24 09:06:48:
i like fire emblem fates. i like the characters. i like CORRIN. im tired of having to defend the fact that i like it "despite the poor writing choices" whenever it comes up in conversation. there's so much negativity and i'm just like Teehee Dragon
i like fates too
the story is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than engage lol
conquest has such an interesting story
also anankos is so cool
Inuka wrote on 2023-12-30 03:09:43:
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate This is not really about the game itself but more about a certain mechanic: underwater combat. I liked it and I want it to return.
meeee i am very nostalgic for this entry in particular i need lagiacrus to return also dire miralis too
Lunavagans wrote on 2024-01-22 12:15:51:
The movie Professor Layton and the eternal Diva. Watched it once (1) with my family after watching it a few times alone and stopped after they criticized it without naming one good thing, which they absolutely could?? The music which is a main theme throughout and impossible to not notice? But also the story overall. The Layton series was a big part of my childhood.
was that the first movie? i really liked it too, i was so surprised to see it available to borrow at hotel

mine arent hated but they are niche:
-muramasa the demon blade: i want port on switch pls
-crimson shroud: also want on switch
-endless ocean: pleeease switch port please
-fragile farewell ruins of the moon: i regret selling mine
my colors!
my cool ids interest check
space for a new post
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
I had this game as a kid called Zoids: Legacy. Basically, it's a critter-collector with giant mecha animals that the different human characters pilot. Why it's a "I like it despite"? The story is trying to tie together at least five different games/anime none of which I've figured out how to play/watch without pirating, though I might get a chance for one if I can get a Gameboy of some sort and learn how to read Japanese and uh... how do I put this... Zoids: Legacy technically is translated to English. It's really bad in places, though. It's also super fun though- I'm honestly thinking about doing another replay, I just have to figure out where my charger cable went. Six-on-six battles are super fun, especially when it like, matters who you put where! Also I really like the Zoids' designs ^-^ So yeah! Maybe one day I'll even run into somebody else with a copy and get to try out the multiplayer!

(Although honestly, even well-regarded media for me tends to be a "I like it despite"; it's just part of how I view the world, the bad things (usually) have things that can be appreciated, and the good things have flaws)
I had this game as a kid called Zoids: Legacy. Basically, it's a critter-collector with giant mecha animals that the different human characters pilot. Why it's a "I like it despite"? The story is trying to tie together at least five different games/anime none of which I've figured out how to play/watch without pirating, though I might get a chance for one if I can get a Gameboy of some sort and learn how to read Japanese and uh... how do I put this... Zoids: Legacy technically is translated to English. It's really bad in places, though. It's also super fun though- I'm honestly thinking about doing another replay, I just have to figure out where my charger cable went. Six-on-six battles are super fun, especially when it like, matters who you put where! Also I really like the Zoids' designs ^-^ So yeah! Maybe one day I'll even run into somebody else with a copy and get to try out the multiplayer!

(Although honestly, even well-regarded media for me tends to be a "I like it despite"; it's just part of how I view the world, the bad things (usually) have things that can be appreciated, and the good things have flaws)
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, if you have a response to what I said!
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.