Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Talk Abt Your Fave Prehistoric Creature
1 2 3 4 5
I love archaeopteryx due to how scrunkly it is, and I love myself some dromaeosaurs, but as of late my favorite is probably the spinosaurus. Spinosaurus has become such a hot topic amongst the community and it's lovely to look at all the different depictions of it. personal favorite portrayal is a wading-bird esque type of build, because I like the idea of big murder herons/cranes.
I love archaeopteryx due to how scrunkly it is, and I love myself some dromaeosaurs, but as of late my favorite is probably the spinosaurus. Spinosaurus has become such a hot topic amongst the community and it's lovely to look at all the different depictions of it. personal favorite portrayal is a wading-bird esque type of build, because I like the idea of big murder herons/cranes.
aC86tUH.png mlHpBMC.png
w3eXdQQ.png
wAfJ7Bn.png4Gh3xRo.png
0XHtpWy.pngz3FSuck.png
Spinosaurids are my favorite dinosaurs, especially baryonyx. The whole terrestrial/aquatic debate is really fun to watch and they're pretty cool looking! From what I've heard, Baryonyx used to exist in my country (well, not really since there was only one continent, but you get it) although some researchers say that some of the fossils might not belong to Baryonyx, but Vallibonavenatrix! [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Vallibonavenatrix_cani.jpg[/img] Also, did anyone mention those HUGE arthropods from the Carboniferous period? [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/Meganeurites_gracilipes_restoration.webp/1000px-Meganeurites_gracilipes_restoration.webp.png[/img] Meganeura [img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9py6IgNlFak/TThmmH6R5_I/AAAAAAAAA1o/ndozHWb69Hs/s1600/Arthropleura.jpg[/img] Arthropleura [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/20210116_Pulmonoscorpius_kirktonensis.png[/img] Pulmonoscopius I'm not sure if I'm glad that the oxygen levels are lower today that in the Carboniferous period... you know... I think these are pretty cool, but if I saw any of them in real life I would run for the hills lmao
Spinosaurids are my favorite dinosaurs, especially baryonyx. The whole terrestrial/aquatic debate is really fun to watch and they're pretty cool looking!

From what I've heard, Baryonyx used to exist in my country (well, not really since there was only one continent, but you get it) although some researchers say that some of the fossils might not belong to Baryonyx, but Vallibonavenatrix!

Vallibonavenatrix_cani.jpg

Also, did anyone mention those HUGE arthropods from the Carboniferous period?

1000px-Meganeurites_gracilipes_restoration.webp.png
Meganeura

Arthropleura.jpg
Arthropleura

20210116_Pulmonoscorpius_kirktonensis.png
Pulmonoscopius

I'm not sure if I'm glad that the oxygen levels are lower today that in the Carboniferous period... you know... I think these are pretty cool, but if I saw any of them in real life I would run for the hills lmao
wb_aeth.png
ZbNAjCO.png
hh5n4WA.png
dEe2UrM.png
mjtJ868.png       
LGvol4P.png
AFDqeiv.gif
[quote name="@Aetherna" date="2023-03-09 06:57:01" ] Also, did anyone mention those HUGE arthropods from the Carboniferous period? [Image description: Image of Meganeurites gracilipes /end ID] [/quote] Very, very, very far away from Carboniferous, but did you know an entomologist rediscovered a Jurassic-era giant lacewing? He caught a [i]Polystoechotes punctata[/i], thought to be extirpated in the area since the 1950s, so he thought it was an antlion for the ten years it was chilling in his collection. (Source: Berard, Adrienne (February 27, 2023). "[url=https://phys.org/news/2023-02-rare-insect-arkansas-walmart-historic.html]Rare insect found at Arkansas Walmart sets historic record, points to deeper ecological questions[/url]". [i]Phys.org[/i]. Retrieved March 9, 2023.)
@Aetherna wrote on 2023-03-09 06:57:01:

[Image description: Image of Meganeurites gracilipes /end ID]

Very, very, very far away from Carboniferous, but did you know an entomologist rediscovered a Jurassic-era giant lacewing? He caught a Polystoechotes punctata, thought to be extirpated in the area since the 1950s, so he thought it was an antlion for the ten years it was chilling in his collection.

(Source: Berard, Adrienne (February 27, 2023). "Rare insect found at Arkansas Walmart sets historic record, points to deeper ecological questions". Phys.org. Retrieved March 9, 2023.)
90px-Applications-office.svg.png When people draw up a warm bath and put in flower petals,
Writing Prompts
are they bathing in flower tea?
[quote name="nuttysaladtree" date="2023-03-09 08:23:29" ] [quote name="@Aetherna" date="2023-03-09 06:57:01" ] Also, did anyone mention those HUGE arthropods from the Carboniferous period? [Image description: Image of Meganeurites gracilipes /end ID] [/quote] Very, very, very far away from Carboniferous, but did you know an entomologist rediscovered a Jurassic-era giant lacewing? He caught a [i]Polystoechotes punctata[/i], thought to be extirpated in the area since the 1950s, so he thought it was an antlion for the ten years it was chilling in his collection. (Source: Berard, Adrienne (February 27, 2023). "[url=https://phys.org/news/2023-02-rare-insect-arkansas-walmart-historic.html]Rare insect found at Arkansas Walmart sets historic record, points to deeper ecological questions[/url]". [i]Phys.org[/i]. Retrieved March 9, 2023.) [/quote] I didn't know, thanks for sharing! That's really amazing :O
nuttysaladtree wrote on 2023-03-09 08:23:29:
@Aetherna wrote on 2023-03-09 06:57:01:

[Image description: Image of Meganeurites gracilipes /end ID]

Very, very, very far away from Carboniferous, but did you know an entomologist rediscovered a Jurassic-era giant lacewing? He caught a Polystoechotes punctata, thought to be extirpated in the area since the 1950s, so he thought it was an antlion for the ten years it was chilling in his collection.

(Source: Berard, Adrienne (February 27, 2023). "Rare insect found at Arkansas Walmart sets historic record, points to deeper ecological questions". Phys.org. Retrieved March 9, 2023.)

I didn't know, thanks for sharing! That's really amazing :O
wb_aeth.png
ZbNAjCO.png
hh5n4WA.png
dEe2UrM.png
mjtJ868.png       
LGvol4P.png
AFDqeiv.gif
I'm a fan of the spinosaurids, therizinosaurids, and crocodilomorphs, but I think it's necessary to mention my first love, Postosuchus. [img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49292293626_f4bd90683e_b.jpg[/img]
I'm a fan of the spinosaurids, therizinosaurids, and crocodilomorphs, but I think it's necessary to mention my first love, Postosuchus.

49292293626_f4bd90683e_b.jpg
D4LiygC.png
Pachycephalosaurus. From the young age of old enough to read dinosaur books unaided, I was in love with this thing. I had a cassette tape that played dinosaur songs and it had one. I still sing bits from it to myself. It was a relatively small Late-Cretaceous herbivore (?), a favored snack of young tyrannosaurs, and all around average guy. Jury's still out on it using it's big ol noggin to headbutt, but it's rammed it's way into my heart regardless. The helmet on the dinosaur armor sets is based on it's skull! [img]https://res.cloudinary.com/dk-find-out/image/upload/q_80,w_320,f_auto/DCTM_Penguin_UK_DK_AL720335_ajta8v.jpg[/img]
Pachycephalosaurus.

From the young age of old enough to read dinosaur books unaided, I was in love with this thing. I had a cassette tape that played dinosaur songs and it had one. I still sing bits from it to myself.

It was a relatively small Late-Cretaceous herbivore (?), a favored snack of young tyrannosaurs, and all around average guy. Jury's still out on it using it's big ol noggin to headbutt, but it's rammed it's way into my heart regardless.

The helmet on the dinosaur armor sets is based on it's skull!

DCTM_Penguin_UK_DK_AL720335_ajta8v.jpg
aesq82D.gif
This is difficult for me because I'm not a massive dino nerd but I have a few that I love for different reasons:

1. I used to volunteer at the La Brea Tar Pits before the pandemic happened because I absolutely love giant ground sloths - BUT! As I was working there, I fell more and more in love with saber-toothed cats. I'm a big cat person in the first place, so I felt like this was too on the nose, but their fangs are so wild to me! They're serrated on the inner side, like a cheap steak knife, but WAY sharper! You can easily cut yourself on a 12,000 year old specimen's tooth if you're not careful.

AND. They lived in social groups, AND we have evidence that they took care of older and injured group members, because we have fossil evidence of individuals who healed up from life-threatening injuries that would have prevented them from being able to hunt, such as broken legs and pelvises. So that means that other group members brought them food and protected them from predators.

I really miss volunteering at the museum and nerding out about smilodons with guests.

Other of my favorites are the Carnotaurus, because they look cool but then have these silly flappy little arms without elbows. What did they do with them? How did they even use an appendage like that? I can't help but laugh when I see the specimen we have in the local natural history museum.

And finally, I love Liphistius basal trapdoor spiders specifically because they are the last extant member of a 300 million year old group of spiders, and they have pretty much stayed the same for all that time. I think that's amazing!
This is difficult for me because I'm not a massive dino nerd but I have a few that I love for different reasons:

1. I used to volunteer at the La Brea Tar Pits before the pandemic happened because I absolutely love giant ground sloths - BUT! As I was working there, I fell more and more in love with saber-toothed cats. I'm a big cat person in the first place, so I felt like this was too on the nose, but their fangs are so wild to me! They're serrated on the inner side, like a cheap steak knife, but WAY sharper! You can easily cut yourself on a 12,000 year old specimen's tooth if you're not careful.

AND. They lived in social groups, AND we have evidence that they took care of older and injured group members, because we have fossil evidence of individuals who healed up from life-threatening injuries that would have prevented them from being able to hunt, such as broken legs and pelvises. So that means that other group members brought them food and protected them from predators.

I really miss volunteering at the museum and nerding out about smilodons with guests.

Other of my favorites are the Carnotaurus, because they look cool but then have these silly flappy little arms without elbows. What did they do with them? How did they even use an appendage like that? I can't help but laugh when I see the specimen we have in the local natural history museum.

And finally, I love Liphistius basal trapdoor spiders specifically because they are the last extant member of a 300 million year old group of spiders, and they have pretty much stayed the same for all that time. I think that's amazing!
12266738.png12223394.png10712216.png9093168.png9894381.png
I have been Summoned I am very basic for this but. Allosaurus my beloved <3 Thanks to the [i]Walking with Dinosaurs[/i] series, I am incapable of picturing this guy without red eye crests. If I see paleoart where the artist chose not do do that it sometimes takes me a minute to recognize it as an Allosaurus XD but yeah I'm a huge fan of these guys, from what I understand the proposed hunting method is debatable (using their upper jaw like an axe to kill prey) but still very cool! [img]https://www.fossilera.com/p/908/2048px-Allosaurus_Revised.jpg[/img] [img]https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/2/a-portrait-of-an-allosaurus-skull-derrick-neill.jpg[/img]
I have been Summoned

I am very basic for this but. Allosaurus my beloved <3

Thanks to the Walking with Dinosaurs series, I am incapable of picturing this guy without red eye crests. If I see paleoart where the artist chose not do do that it sometimes takes me a minute to recognize it as an Allosaurus XD but yeah I'm a huge fan of these guys, from what I understand the proposed hunting method is debatable (using their upper jaw like an axe to kill prey) but still very cool!

2048px-Allosaurus_Revised.jpg

a-portrait-of-an-allosaurus-skull-derrick-neill.jpg
extra-birb.png Divider-v-96.png nBUwvfz.png
tyEuRXe.png
Tl1dGxE.png
weia2aX.png Divider-v-96.png
Gosh- I have so many favorites but my two favorites (cannot really show a picture of them atm) are the ceratosaurus and deinocheirus!

The cerato is a medium sized carnivore that scavenged, cannibalized, and hunted down towards the end of their extinction. Of what I remember of it. I believe they could've eaten rotten meat because of their stomach acid. I think anyway I am not too sure.

The deinocheirus is just my second favorite because of how it looks honestly haha.
Gosh- I have so many favorites but my two favorites (cannot really show a picture of them atm) are the ceratosaurus and deinocheirus!

The cerato is a medium sized carnivore that scavenged, cannibalized, and hunted down towards the end of their extinction. Of what I remember of it. I believe they could've eaten rotten meat because of their stomach acid. I think anyway I am not too sure.

The deinocheirus is just my second favorite because of how it looks honestly haha.
Untitled_Artwork.png
I'm learning about ancient animals in one of my lectures [s]that I'm procrastinating on[/s] right now! I wish I could summon all of my knowledge from when I was obsessed with dinosaurs as a kid, but sadly I've forgotten a lot D: My favorite dinosaurs were always velociraptor and parasaurolophus! I remember feeling slightly betrayed when I learned that velociraptors were actually pretty tiny and not like the huge ones in Jurassic Park, those are actually closer in size to the deononychus I think! And for prarasaurolophus, I think they actually managed to recreate what they may have sounded like by making a model of their skulls and passing air through the hollow cavities in their crests! There's probably a video somewhere but I'm too lazy to find it right now LOL I love the weirdo animals of the Cambrian too, I don't know as much about them though... But I do love hallucigenia! Silly, mysterious little worm guy. I think it took scientists a while to figure out what they looked like, they weren't sure what way the fossils should be oriented or even which end the head was. I think their closest living relatives are velvet worms. [img]https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3819358/worm.0.gif[/img] [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/78/NMNH-USNM83935_Hallucigeniasp_%28cropped%29.jpg/1200px-NMNH-USNM83935_Hallucigeniasp_%28cropped%29.jpg[/img] [img]https://nixillustration.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/09-hallucigenia_sparsa.png[/img] (Hallucigenia recreation and a fossil, and the last graphic I just thought was interesting!)
I'm learning about ancient animals in one of my lectures that I'm procrastinating on right now! I wish I could summon all of my knowledge from when I was obsessed with dinosaurs as a kid, but sadly I've forgotten a lot D: My favorite dinosaurs were always velociraptor and parasaurolophus! I remember feeling slightly betrayed when I learned that velociraptors were actually pretty tiny and not like the huge ones in Jurassic Park, those are actually closer in size to the deononychus I think! And for prarasaurolophus, I think they actually managed to recreate what they may have sounded like by making a model of their skulls and passing air through the hollow cavities in their crests! There's probably a video somewhere but I'm too lazy to find it right now LOL
I love the weirdo animals of the Cambrian too, I don't know as much about them though... But I do love hallucigenia! Silly, mysterious little worm guy. I think it took scientists a while to figure out what they looked like, they weren't sure what way the fossils should be oriented or even which end the head was. I think their closest living relatives are velvet worms.
worm.0.gif
1200px-NMNH-USNM83935_Hallucigeniasp_%28cropped%29.jpg
09-hallucigenia_sparsa.png
(Hallucigenia recreation and a fossil, and the last graphic I just thought was interesting!)
Feel free to click and feed my creatures!
2519517.png2534403.png2537496.png2567018.png2634339.png
1 2 3 4 5