Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Talk Abt Your Fave Prehistoric Creature
1 2 3 4 5
[center]This is one of the coolest, most interesting animals to have ever been. Look at it. This guy leapt eight feet almost straight up to start flying and had bones no thicker than a playing card in some places. What the hell. I LOVE this thing and was moved to TEARS seeing it in a museum for the first time. Quetzalcoatlus my most beloved [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/568302404588666880/1079184851929931916/latest.png[/img][/center]
This is one of the coolest, most interesting animals to have ever been. Look at it. This guy leapt eight feet almost straight up to start flying and had bones no thicker than a playing card in some places. What the hell. I LOVE this thing and was moved to TEARS seeing it in a museum for the first time. Quetzalcoatlus my most beloved
latest.png
KBV0BbS.png
name's mot!
FbBE7dN.png
JvUa9ma.png
yPlj8ew.pnghrSE73S.png
I love the genus Therizinosauridae way too much, especially Enigmosaurus, just look at this fluffy boy :) [img]https://i.imgur.com/d3OGTO0.jpg[/img] for non dinosaur prehistoric creatures that I like have to be moschops, Deinosuchus, Quetzalcoatlus, and Entelodonts
I love the genus Therizinosauridae way too much, especially Enigmosaurus, just look at this fluffy boy :)
d3OGTO0.jpg

for non dinosaur prehistoric creatures that I like have to be moschops, Deinosuchus, Quetzalcoatlus, and Entelodonts
|Ello I'm Awoken, She/her, FR+8, I am a bunch of lizards in a coat, Profile dragon|
WyB8X7e.jpg
@FivePebbles
Wow! I've never heard of those, how amazing. And very alien indeed. I'm absolutely gonna have to do some reading on those.

@YeehawYote
Azhdarchid enjoyers unite...... that thing is terrifying I think I'd die of fright seeing it before it even got a chance to lean forward and snatch me up. like what

@Nikaido
Enigmosaurus!! What a fun name! I absolutely love the fluffy dinosaur reconstructions. That art kinda reminds me of an anteater :)
@FivePebbles
Wow! I've never heard of those, how amazing. And very alien indeed. I'm absolutely gonna have to do some reading on those.

@YeehawYote
Azhdarchid enjoyers unite...... that thing is terrifying I think I'd die of fright seeing it before it even got a chance to lean forward and snatch me up. like what

@Nikaido
Enigmosaurus!! What a fun name! I absolutely love the fluffy dinosaur reconstructions. That art kinda reminds me of an anteater :)
MUYNhfy.png
OK SO I'm not done. Now I can talk about how much I love azhdarchids (as I see people have brought up before). They have to have one of the single most bizarre tetrapod bodyplans I have ever seen. They are [i]terrifying[/i]. I think more media featuring the Mesozoic should recognize that. They have stick thin limbs and huge, disproportionate heads, tiny little eyes. They walk like giraffes, and yet, fly. With the sizes some could reach, these were real life dragons. If they were still alive I would cry myself to sleep every night. [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5c/48/5b/5c485bef96353d7640cf9a362c96ffae.jpg[/img] Down to genus (technically species) level, one of my favourite prehistoric creatures of all time is Aegirocassis, an enormous filter-feeding arthropod, the whale of its time...enormous, for its time. Potentially exceeding 6 feet long, this animal was a titan back in its day. It's funny what can become the "big filter feeding creature" if the niche is unoccupied. [img]https://www.researchgate.net/publication/327645945/figure/fig5/AS:958878741192704@1605625915052/Diversity-of-sizes-and-feeding-habits-in-radiodonts-As-exemplified-by-Aegirocassis-and.png[/img]
OK SO I'm not done. Now I can talk about how much I love azhdarchids (as I see people have brought up before). They have to have one of the single most bizarre tetrapod bodyplans I have ever seen. They are terrifying. I think more media featuring the Mesozoic should recognize that. They have stick thin limbs and huge, disproportionate heads, tiny little eyes. They walk like giraffes, and yet, fly. With the sizes some could reach, these were real life dragons. If they were still alive I would cry myself to sleep every night.

5c485bef96353d7640cf9a362c96ffae.jpg

Down to genus (technically species) level, one of my favourite prehistoric creatures of all time is Aegirocassis, an enormous filter-feeding arthropod, the whale of its time...enormous, for its time. Potentially exceeding 6 feet long, this animal was a titan back in its day. It's funny what can become the "big filter feeding creature" if the niche is unoccupied.
Diversity-of-sizes-and-feeding-habits-in-radiodonts-As-exemplified-by-Aegirocassis-and.png
ll0CfnD.png
mlHpBMC.png
FObX7rS.png
awUnQ0L.png
TdTJOrw.png
3M48cU6.png
:
:
:
:
:
:
NEW-SIGNATURE.png
@FivePebbles
Yess!! All the more azhdarchid love, all the better. Such fascinating creatures. I've never heard of aegirocassis either! Learning about all kinds of funky invertebrates from this thread! That thing was a titan indeed :o
@FivePebbles
Yess!! All the more azhdarchid love, all the better. Such fascinating creatures. I've never heard of aegirocassis either! Learning about all kinds of funky invertebrates from this thread! That thing was a titan indeed :o
MUYNhfy.png
Anchiornis, my tiny son [emoji=familiar heart size=1] [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3f/Anchiornis_martyniuk.png/1920px-Anchiornis_martyniuk.png[/img] Just a little man in Adidas trackpants. It's one of the few non-avian dinosaurs we actually know the feather coloration of - some pigment traces were preserved in fossil specimens. They would have been about the size of a small crow. Incidentally, my current D&D character has a pet one who rides around on her shoulder - I convinced our DM that since we were in Chult (fantasy!Dinotopia), I should be allowed to buy one with my share of the treasure while we were in the big city. He's named Milo Jr., after the party's cleric who died tragically while we were fighting animate statues.
Anchiornis, my tiny son

1920px-Anchiornis_martyniuk.png

Just a little man in Adidas trackpants. It's one of the few non-avian dinosaurs we actually know the feather coloration of - some pigment traces were preserved in fossil specimens. They would have been about the size of a small crow.

Incidentally, my current D&D character has a pet one who rides around on her shoulder - I convinced our DM that since we were in Chult (fantasy!Dinotopia), I should be allowed to buy one with my share of the treasure while we were in the big city. He's named Milo Jr., after the party's cleric who died tragically while we were fighting animate statues.
they/them - geologist & artist

art + tabletop gaming blog
i have too many favorite dinosaurs lol

utahraptor, purely because they found the first one in utah and decided thats what they'd call it (imagine finding the fossil of a new dinosaur in a walmart and naming it walmartosaurus or something)

attenboroughsaurus, because david attenborough has been my favorite nature documentary narrator since i was a kid and im happy he has a dinosaur named after him

quetzalcoatlus because B I G B O Y

and therizunosaurus because i just think its funny that this massive seven-foot-tall monster with three claws over a foot long on each of its hands ends up just eating plants.

edit: if you want cool dinosaur information, id recommend the documentary series Prehistoric Planet on appke tv! its narrated by david attenborough (yay!) and all the dinos are cgi obviously which means that if a baby gets separated from its parents its not "sadly, the baby will not survive." *cut to something else* because the artists can choose what happens so NO SAD BABY DEATHS :D
i have too many favorite dinosaurs lol

utahraptor, purely because they found the first one in utah and decided thats what they'd call it (imagine finding the fossil of a new dinosaur in a walmart and naming it walmartosaurus or something)

attenboroughsaurus, because david attenborough has been my favorite nature documentary narrator since i was a kid and im happy he has a dinosaur named after him

quetzalcoatlus because B I G B O Y

and therizunosaurus because i just think its funny that this massive seven-foot-tall monster with three claws over a foot long on each of its hands ends up just eating plants.

edit: if you want cool dinosaur information, id recommend the documentary series Prehistoric Planet on appke tv! its narrated by david attenborough (yay!) and all the dinos are cgi obviously which means that if a baby gets separated from its parents its not "sadly, the baby will not survive." *cut to something else* because the artists can choose what happens so NO SAD BABY DEATHS :D
eq6zQ9M.png
Tl1dGxE.png
bYt72YT.png
2VtxnMX.png
mlHpBMC.png
OrlEqVx.png
The sinomacrops is so CUTE. It looks like a feathery bird bulldog gremlin and I love it. [img]https://i.imgur.com/bs5eBZX.png[/img] It was also only 15 cm long with a wingspan of 33 cm. Sooo small, I want to hold it like hamburger.
The sinomacrops is so CUTE. It looks like a feathery bird bulldog gremlin and I love it.

bs5eBZX.png

It was also only 15 cm long with a wingspan of 33 cm. Sooo small, I want to hold it like hamburger.
7685.png
Tyler/Caff
- - - - - - - - - -
- He/Him
- Gay and a Pokémon expert
- Has the tism
- Pingable
vBazOjz.png
Apparently there is a dinosaur called Heterodontosaurus and it's name makes me laugh
It is so ugly and I love it
Apparently there is a dinosaur called Heterodontosaurus and it's name makes me laugh
It is so ugly and I love it
i6v47.gif ART SHOP! | Fandragons! | Wishlist6D4fA.gifZNCto.gifFq96d.gif5TJLH.gifGlo5n.gif
I'm a huge fan of gorgonopsids. Like, [i]really[/i] huge. They're one of my favorite prehistoric animals and it's a shame they always seem to get sidelined in favor of dinosaurs because they died off before they existed. I like Inostrancevia a lot, it's one of the biggest ones :) [img]http://www.prehistoric-wildlife.com/images/species/i/inostrancevia-size.jpg[/img]
I'm a huge fan of gorgonopsids. Like, really huge. They're one of my favorite prehistoric animals and it's a shame they always seem to get sidelined in favor of dinosaurs because they died off before they existed. I like Inostrancevia a lot, it's one of the biggest ones :)
inostrancevia-size.jpg
ZwMTIV6.png
+3 fr time. please ping if responding. pfp dragon
1 2 3 4 5