Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Honest opinions about DeviantArt
1 2 3 4 5 6
when I was a kid (I'm talkin like 10-11 years old) I thought it was cool and I wanted to be a member, because I used to be obsessed w pokemon fan art and back then that was a great place to find it (this was during the gen 4-5 era). but I ended up not making an acct til I was about 16 and by that time I wasn't really vibing w the community so my account just kinda sits there collecting dust now.

nowadays if I wanna look at cool art I usually will look at Pinterest, or people's insta/twitter/tumblr art journals. I basically never go to DeviantArt anymore.
when I was a kid (I'm talkin like 10-11 years old) I thought it was cool and I wanted to be a member, because I used to be obsessed w pokemon fan art and back then that was a great place to find it (this was during the gen 4-5 era). but I ended up not making an acct til I was about 16 and by that time I wasn't really vibing w the community so my account just kinda sits there collecting dust now.

nowadays if I wanna look at cool art I usually will look at Pinterest, or people's insta/twitter/tumblr art journals. I basically never go to DeviantArt anymore.
k6ftfga.png 1vAtYxM.png
H0t7Ypl.png
eTmFfQ7.png
kCHWEjf.png
ipXQ8Fw.png
Ca6EHIb.png
xlJfgCt.png
Rl71vuP.png
oaolHwW.png
o4KdtaP.png
pixil-frame-0245.png
W2pwiXX.png
8GgdVkW.png
VOowzno.png
gYW0j5f.png
tumblr_p51ctjgepA1vamgqko8_100.png
I didn't have a dA before Eclipse, but I made a dA last year* in hopes of getting my art further than it did on Twitter.

Which worked for Pokemon art, to be fair!
The first piece I published hit a hundred favs before midnight, much to my utter shock.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the same for everything else.
Now, the original art I pour my time and tears into gets barely above 3 favs, 5 if I'm lucky.

It's good for if you want to do fandom-related things, especially content that children gravitate towards. However, for being a site that has some... 'interesting' content out in the open, there's a scary amount of kids running around. A bit unsettling and risky, if you ask me.

If you want to strike it out with just your OCs though, you're going to have to draw & publish your pieces every dang day. It's quite the empty market, unless you have a very striking, impressionable style.

I'm thinking about heading back to Tumblr, to be honest. I've never run an art blog before, but it can't be too different from running an aesthetic blog. Just switch up the tags, have fun making your own content instead of RTing others', and go go go.

* Had I heard about the AI fiasco beforehand, I wouldn't have done so.
I didn't have a dA before Eclipse, but I made a dA last year* in hopes of getting my art further than it did on Twitter.

Which worked for Pokemon art, to be fair!
The first piece I published hit a hundred favs before midnight, much to my utter shock.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the same for everything else.
Now, the original art I pour my time and tears into gets barely above 3 favs, 5 if I'm lucky.

It's good for if you want to do fandom-related things, especially content that children gravitate towards. However, for being a site that has some... 'interesting' content out in the open, there's a scary amount of kids running around. A bit unsettling and risky, if you ask me.

If you want to strike it out with just your OCs though, you're going to have to draw & publish your pieces every dang day. It's quite the empty market, unless you have a very striking, impressionable style.

I'm thinking about heading back to Tumblr, to be honest. I've never run an art blog before, but it can't be too different from running an aesthetic blog. Just switch up the tags, have fun making your own content instead of RTing others', and go go go.

* Had I heard about the AI fiasco beforehand, I wouldn't have done so.
Quit because I hated the new site look they did years ago.

It was ok. Tbh discord has been my main motivator for art because I can share with friends :)

I’d never go back. I think tumblr is a pretty solid art site.
Quit because I hated the new site look they did years ago.

It was ok. Tbh discord has been my main motivator for art because I can share with friends :)

I’d never go back. I think tumblr is a pretty solid art site.
wqnTQE2.png Adult Player | She/they | 3+ FR Time | Wishlist

[Sale] Flaxen G1s
I think its a great place to steal art and post stolen art.

I dont know anything about NFT's because I cant be bothered learning about it if I'm not gonna use it? have it? honestly im too tired to care.
All I know is Love, Death & Robots have one which is apparently bad. I have no idea why. Honestly, the world can scream over it, I'll just be over here looking at clouds.

I dont know anything about NFT's because I cant be bothered learning about it if I'm not gonna use it? have it? honestly im too tired to care.
All I know is Love, Death & Robots have one which is apparently bad. I have no idea why. Honestly, the world can scream over it, I'll just be over here looking at clouds.

9e9feb1cd233d5fc793ec7c6dd43c14e98d311f2.gif
That site and the community is 18+, you are at risk if you get exposed to the community when you are underage. I left DA for this reason and the ither things like Eclipse and AI.

Peaceful life after leaving DA tbh.
That site and the community is 18+, you are at risk if you get exposed to the community when you are underage. I left DA for this reason and the ither things like Eclipse and AI.

Peaceful life after leaving DA tbh.
[quote name="MyHartWillDrogon" date="2023-01-17 04:51:59" ] I think its a great place to steal art and post stolen art. [/quote] That describes the entire internet. :P
MyHartWillDrogon wrote on 2023-01-17 04:51:59:

That describes the entire internet. :P
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
Quite a few of my favourite artists have disappeared from the site, which is quite sad. There's three old faves of mine who are still around thankfully, but two of them (who are making comics) also upload their comics to other sites (ComicFury, I think?). I remember hearing about Buzzly and having hope, and then that... situation... happened lol at least it was an entertaining (and painful) rabbit hole to go down.

I can't understand tumblr or pinterest so I don't use them, but I am thinking about using FurAffinity at this point, but I don't know much about it. Just kinda using DeviantArt until something better comes around. Probably helps I don't post with the intent of building a huge audience, but just to have a catalogue of my progress and continue to support my favourite artists.

And maybe in case I do get an audience for my writing and they want a place to see my artwork for said writing. My writing takes priority over art
Quite a few of my favourite artists have disappeared from the site, which is quite sad. There's three old faves of mine who are still around thankfully, but two of them (who are making comics) also upload their comics to other sites (ComicFury, I think?). I remember hearing about Buzzly and having hope, and then that... situation... happened lol at least it was an entertaining (and painful) rabbit hole to go down.

I can't understand tumblr or pinterest so I don't use them, but I am thinking about using FurAffinity at this point, but I don't know much about it. Just kinda using DeviantArt until something better comes around. Probably helps I don't post with the intent of building a huge audience, but just to have a catalogue of my progress and continue to support my favourite artists.

And maybe in case I do get an audience for my writing and they want a place to see my artwork for said writing. My writing takes priority over art
mlHpBMC.png
9hqcHsy.png
ZxAR91S.png
HkZAJYc.png
watervs1.pngHbzShnh.pngmbWgKmD.pngwatershieldr.png
Habitual user from waaaay back, like ... 2011-2012ish back ...

I've used it pretty much every day since, and honestly, ech, all of the recent updates are terrible, only real reason I've been sticking around is out of a mix of sheer habit and there being no real good alternatives

There have been a few alternatives that've popped up, but they're all either in early access/alpha or died due to drama

Sucks honestly, I've been considering hopping over to Pixiv, at least their search function works properly.
Habitual user from waaaay back, like ... 2011-2012ish back ...

I've used it pretty much every day since, and honestly, ech, all of the recent updates are terrible, only real reason I've been sticking around is out of a mix of sheer habit and there being no real good alternatives

There have been a few alternatives that've popped up, but they're all either in early access/alpha or died due to drama

Sucks honestly, I've been considering hopping over to Pixiv, at least their search function works properly.
ShlmoT6.png
Hey ya, my name is O'hare, and I like dragons, I play reference games a lot; I have fandragons in my Pili fandragons, and media archives tabs, if ya can, try to choose someone with a lower count. It's okay to pick from my hibden for forum games
As someone who has a really bad history with DeviantArt.. it's really not worth it, especially with the boom of incredibly critical people whose intentions are to bring you down and not help improve with your style.

I honestly stopped caring about it for a good amount of years now, and I very much lost track on what it has been doing.

Will never forget two people that were seriously critical of my art when I was a beginner. I won't get into one of them because I know FR will not accept it, but just know another compared their art to mine and claimed themselves to be superior. They were far older than me at that time. They still are.

Even using alternatives kind of doesn't help me. I've been more used to sending my art to close friends anymore thanks to the fear that cringe culture brought onto me.
As someone who has a really bad history with DeviantArt.. it's really not worth it, especially with the boom of incredibly critical people whose intentions are to bring you down and not help improve with your style.

I honestly stopped caring about it for a good amount of years now, and I very much lost track on what it has been doing.

Will never forget two people that were seriously critical of my art when I was a beginner. I won't get into one of them because I know FR will not accept it, but just know another compared their art to mine and claimed themselves to be superior. They were far older than me at that time. They still are.

Even using alternatives kind of doesn't help me. I've been more used to sending my art to close friends anymore thanks to the fear that cringe culture brought onto me.
dT9HQge.png
H0t7Ypl.png
bYt72YT.png
oaolHwW.png
5hF3FGk.png
OQwOmsS.png
I don't really know why everyone seems to dislike the Eclipse, I kind of like it and find the dark vibes fit me better. AI has been an issue though and I've almost maxed out my block list :(

Besides from that, there are lots of new budding artists that are getting a step closer to fame every day, I hope I can join them someday :)

specifically northnocta, sandpiper1224 and cloudyymangos lol
I don't really know why everyone seems to dislike the Eclipse, I kind of like it and find the dark vibes fit me better. AI has been an issue though and I've almost maxed out my block list :(

Besides from that, there are lots of new budding artists that are getting a step closer to fame every day, I hope I can join them someday :)

specifically northnocta, sandpiper1224 and cloudyymangos lol
lvNmyEi.pngGIJjY9o.png
MsqRUgo.png3adgzZD.png
oqjWYKt.pngLEpJMnn.png
mlSrRbK.pnghZipXGO.png
5hF3FGk.pngHSWqWgZ.png BXvcePR.png
cCDlMNJ.png12ilQ62.png
1 2 3 4 5 6