Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Harmless words you hate?
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 22
soggy. i associate it with food

and i have s e n s o r y i s s u e s
soggy. i associate it with food

and i have s e n s o r y i s s u e s
UXZITgr.pnggC4M6ke.pngbYt72YT.pngY3tHz6g.pngmlHpBMC.png5hF3FGk.pngrix3ppo.pngnoHmDvU.png
[quote name="azeyma" date="2022-10-16 14:47:39" ] i've really grown to hate the word "valid" ! obviously not in the context of therapy, or having someone explicitly tell me "your feelings are valid," but like.. as a casual offhand response to anything? it grinds my gears. "i'm sad because i had a bad day" "valid" - or - "i really like this band, their music is good!" "valid" shut up! shut up. this word is losing meaning to me. it just feels so impersonal as a response like that. i completely understand if you don't have the spoons or anything to hold a conversation, it just... i don't know. [/quote] bruh thats so invalidating (ironic) its like saying 'oof' to important statements liek if you havent anything supportive to say then keep ur trap shut :moyai:
azeyma wrote on 2022-10-16 14:47:39:
i've really grown to hate the word "valid" !
obviously not in the context of therapy, or having someone explicitly tell me "your feelings are valid," but like.. as a casual offhand response to anything? it grinds my gears.

"i'm sad because i had a bad day"
"valid"

- or -

"i really like this band, their music is good!"
"valid"

shut up! shut up. this word is losing meaning to me. it just feels so impersonal as a response like that. i completely understand if you don't have the spoons or anything to hold a conversation, it just... i don't know.
bruh thats so invalidating (ironic)

its like saying 'oof' to important statements liek if you havent anything supportive to say then keep ur trap shut :moyai:
UXZITgr.pnggC4M6ke.pngbYt72YT.pngY3tHz6g.pngmlHpBMC.png5hF3FGk.pngrix3ppo.pngnoHmDvU.png
[quote name="a0NRSId" date="2022-10-16 14:53:34" ] bruh thats so invalidating (ironic) its like saying 'oof' to important statements liek if you havent anything supportive to say then keep ur trap shut :moyai: [/quote] OH HOW COULD I FORGET OOF! 'oof' in vent chats my detested
a0NRSId wrote on 2022-10-16 14:53:34:
bruh thats so invalidating (ironic)

its like saying 'oof' to important statements liek if you havent anything supportive to say then keep ur trap shut :moyai:

OH HOW COULD I FORGET OOF!
'oof' in vent chats my detested
dT9HQge.png
UBaiWUV.png
4xqaZpf.png
yZFrBUC.png
nnBylsC.png
hello! my name is elsa (or lores!)
i'm just getting back into flight rising after an 8-ish year break, and both the signature & the clan profile are works in progress! thank you for your patience!
thfcc490ed.gif
I don't know why I just dislike the word 'vibe'. I get sometimes it's hard to describe the atmosphere or the 'feel' of the place but somehow I just dislike that word.

Another word is 'hitherto'. That word feels so strange to use! I barely see it now but sometimes it pops up here and there, and I struggle to make out its meaning and it breaks the flow of what I read. Why not have 'previously', or 'until now'.
I don't know why I just dislike the word 'vibe'. I get sometimes it's hard to describe the atmosphere or the 'feel' of the place but somehow I just dislike that word.

Another word is 'hitherto'. That word feels so strange to use! I barely see it now but sometimes it pops up here and there, and I struggle to make out its meaning and it breaks the flow of what I read. Why not have 'previously', or 'until now'.
doggo, pupper, etc. please, shut up.
doggo, pupper, etc. please, shut up.
[quote name="NightmareLuinor" date="2022-10-15 21:32:40" ] "Niggling" and "insemination." The former is a weird word, the latter genuinely disgusts me. [emoji=coatl scared size=1] [/quote] i agree with both of these i also dont like the word inkling when referring to anything but splatoon. i play so much splatoon and i think about it so often that when i hear the word without the Splatoon Game context it makes me angry that i cant reply with my splatoon brainrot edit for clarity
NightmareLuinor wrote on 2022-10-15 21:32:40:
"Niggling" and "insemination." The former is a weird word, the latter genuinely disgusts me.

i agree with both of these

i also dont like the word inkling when referring to anything but splatoon. i play so much splatoon and i think about it so often that when i hear the word without the Splatoon Game context it makes me angry that i cant reply with my splatoon brainrot

edit for clarity
waaah my signature broke and i dont wanna fix it rn
[quote name="Grow" date="2022-10-16 16:32:21" ] I don't know why I just dislike the word 'vibe'. I get sometimes it's hard to describe the atmosphere or the 'feel' of the place but somehow I just dislike that word. Another word is 'hitherto'. That word feels so strange to use! I barely see it now but sometimes it pops up here and there, and I struggle to make out its meaning and it breaks the flow of what I read. Why not have 'previously', or 'until now'. [/quote] Oooh your dislike of 'vibe' reminded me of how much it bothers me to hear 'Oooh that's soooo [i]aesthetic![/i] I love replying with 'Oh, what kind of aesthetic does it remind you of?' and they just kinda dwindle off. Like the word 'aesthetic' in itself doesn't bother me, but it's like, PLEASE know what the word means before you use it. Yes, more and more it's used as an adjective to the point some people find it acceptable. I am not those people. It is not just ' sooooooooo aesthetic'. It has a TYPE of aesthetic. There are TYPES. A shadowy aesthetic is soooo different from a rosey one. When you just say 'it's aesthetic' that could mean ANYTHING. Sorry. Rant over.
Grow wrote on 2022-10-16 16:32:21:

Oooh your dislike of 'vibe' reminded me of how much it bothers me to hear 'Oooh that's soooo aesthetic! I love replying with 'Oh, what kind of aesthetic does it remind you of?' and they just kinda dwindle off. Like the word 'aesthetic' in itself doesn't bother me, but it's like, PLEASE know what the word means before you use it. Yes, more and more it's used as an adjective to the point some people find it acceptable. I am not those people. It is not just ' sooooooooo aesthetic'. It has a TYPE of aesthetic. There are TYPES. A shadowy aesthetic is soooo different from a rosey one. When you just say 'it's aesthetic' that could mean ANYTHING.
Sorry. Rant over.
Luminous Almonds Hello, I'm Doetree!
26 | she | artist + teacher | FR+2
kiddo/kiddos

I can't stand the word kiddo it just!! ughhhhh

kiddos is even worse. it sounds so stupid.
kiddo/kiddos

I can't stand the word kiddo it just!! ughhhhh

kiddos is even worse. it sounds so stupid.
a3665186-2e54-4922-869a-430b41931c92.png
█████████████████
███████████████
███
She/her - 23 - Artist

Trigun Stampede - Dr. Stone
Fleet Foxes - Delicious in Dungeon

actual individual words have no effect on me, just the meaning. people avoiding words is what annoys me, because it's so unnatural and makes it seem like theyre hiding something. like, swearing is something that i am made uncomfortable by the absence of. except in the most professional settings, why should i be forced to say "oh dear it seems ive spilled my chocolate milk all over my nice white shirt" when a simple four-letter word conveys that entire sentence, profoundly, in a single syllable, because someone deemed it to be "inappropriate" despite the fact that ruining my dress shirt is a perfectly appropriate situation to say that? also i have bad social anxiety and overthink so i either have to fire out "scringly dingly little bean, a scrungly scrimblo, id die for this brainlet fr" or miss out on the convo entirely.

i am actually really good at grammar and frequently proofread for my friends! it's just that in an actual social setting where people are exchanging words quickly and context isnt always necessary, slang actually helps because it conveys a common but complex idea quickly. in a professional setting (which i sometimes do write in and am working on a short story compilation), this isnt the case since your words are supposed to reach a large audience who might not know/understand/tolerate slang, and it has no place there. but when im talking on discord or FR or whatever where it's a casual setting and people understand each other better, being concise is not as important as being fast so long as you're understood. i do understand grammar and spelling and their importance, as well as tone, prose, etc., but outside of my professional writings i choose to ignore them.

that said as a fanfic writer/reader i will plough my head through the drywall if i see eyes called "orbs" one more time
actual individual words have no effect on me, just the meaning. people avoiding words is what annoys me, because it's so unnatural and makes it seem like theyre hiding something. like, swearing is something that i am made uncomfortable by the absence of. except in the most professional settings, why should i be forced to say "oh dear it seems ive spilled my chocolate milk all over my nice white shirt" when a simple four-letter word conveys that entire sentence, profoundly, in a single syllable, because someone deemed it to be "inappropriate" despite the fact that ruining my dress shirt is a perfectly appropriate situation to say that? also i have bad social anxiety and overthink so i either have to fire out "scringly dingly little bean, a scrungly scrimblo, id die for this brainlet fr" or miss out on the convo entirely.

i am actually really good at grammar and frequently proofread for my friends! it's just that in an actual social setting where people are exchanging words quickly and context isnt always necessary, slang actually helps because it conveys a common but complex idea quickly. in a professional setting (which i sometimes do write in and am working on a short story compilation), this isnt the case since your words are supposed to reach a large audience who might not know/understand/tolerate slang, and it has no place there. but when im talking on discord or FR or whatever where it's a casual setting and people understand each other better, being concise is not as important as being fast so long as you're understood. i do understand grammar and spelling and their importance, as well as tone, prose, etc., but outside of my professional writings i choose to ignore them.

that said as a fanfic writer/reader i will plough my head through the drywall if i see eyes called "orbs" one more time
eNC9ZRF.jpeg
here's a few words
hospital - I can't pronounce it but it's a normal word
hospice- I read it as hot spice
ambulance - i can't pronounce it which means certain conversations are unable to work smoothly
it's the wii woo wii woo car to me and the wii woo wii woo building
mommy/daddy - no explanation needed
pronounce - just feels so stupid to type and very easily prone to be written wrong by me
infancy - too different from infant makes me confused
ask/asks/asked - very hard to say sounds like I'm cussing
shih tzu - sounds like I'm cussing
here's a few words
hospital - I can't pronounce it but it's a normal word
hospice- I read it as hot spice
ambulance - i can't pronounce it which means certain conversations are unable to work smoothly
it's the wii woo wii woo car to me and the wii woo wii woo building
mommy/daddy - no explanation needed
pronounce - just feels so stupid to type and very easily prone to be written wrong by me
infancy - too different from infant makes me confused
ask/asks/asked - very hard to say sounds like I'm cussing
shih tzu - sounds like I'm cussing
They're saying don't hold your breath I'm saying how can you breathe
writing thread | art thread

6sl9IZQ.gif
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 22