Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | The worst Pokemon game of all time?
1 2 3 4
Tell me what is the worst Pokemon game in your opinion! Which game has the least content, worst graphics/pixelart and worst map design! Also the most boring gameplay.
(I'm talking about main series games.)
Tell me what is the worst Pokemon game in your opinion! Which game has the least content, worst graphics/pixelart and worst map design! Also the most boring gameplay.
(I'm talking about main series games.)

GY8SaZl.png
Them/They. Polish. FR 9+. You can call me Vulture, KingVulture, BSM, Moon or even Raptor. A big Rain World, Hollow Knight and Portal fan. A big idiot that just wants a frien. About me. My Wishlist.
Anything from the first generation. I played Yellow a while back and the whole experience was mind-numbing. It was so terribly balanced. Erika's Bellsprout singlehandedly KO'd my entire team except my pikachu with bind, including my pigeot and my charizard. Also I ran out of money and there was no way to get any more because I already battled all the trainers.

0/10 will not Nuzlocke again
Anything from the first generation. I played Yellow a while back and the whole experience was mind-numbing. It was so terribly balanced. Erika's Bellsprout singlehandedly KO'd my entire team except my pikachu with bind, including my pigeot and my charizard. Also I ran out of money and there was no way to get any more because I already battled all the trainers.

0/10 will not Nuzlocke again
IMG-2023-08-05-124048.jpg
I gotta say it may be the current ones. They attempted to do something new, but didn't really commit to truely innovate. Raids are okay-ish, but more of the same; and the wild area doen't feel feel that different from regular routes.
And it has less variance in gameplay. No additional minigames, even its variant of pokemon-amie has been dumbed down.

And then there are these stupid dog legendaries. Their designs don't seem that legendary, more like a split evo. And with other games you can choose between two very different legis. Here? Stupid dog and slightly different stupid dog.

And it might be just me, but does it feel to someone else, that the mons have become a lot less vibrant looking since the jump to 3D? The sprites seemed so much livelier and had bolder colours.
I gotta say it may be the current ones. They attempted to do something new, but didn't really commit to truely innovate. Raids are okay-ish, but more of the same; and the wild area doen't feel feel that different from regular routes.
And it has less variance in gameplay. No additional minigames, even its variant of pokemon-amie has been dumbed down.

And then there are these stupid dog legendaries. Their designs don't seem that legendary, more like a split evo. And with other games you can choose between two very different legis. Here? Stupid dog and slightly different stupid dog.

And it might be just me, but does it feel to someone else, that the mons have become a lot less vibrant looking since the jump to 3D? The sprites seemed so much livelier and had bolder colours.
Hmm, maybe Let's Go? While there were aspects I liked, (like being able to see the pokemon sprites including shinies move around in the wild, getting to start with a non-starter, and being able to dress up your starter) a lot of the game kinda fell flat for me. Tho the new mechanics were interesting, it was just a rehash of gen1 with all the extra content LG & FR had cut out. I know it's been a while since game corners were a thing in the franchise (and they'll likely never come back r.i.p [emoji=eliminate size=1]), but I might've liked the game a bit more if they at least let us explore the sevii islands after the main game.
Hmm, maybe Let's Go?

While there were aspects I liked, (like being able to see the pokemon sprites including shinies move around in the wild, getting to start with a non-starter, and being able to dress up your starter) a lot of the game kinda fell flat for me. Tho the new mechanics were interesting, it was just a rehash of gen1 with all the extra content LG & FR had cut out. I know it's been a while since game corners were a thing in the franchise (and they'll likely never come back r.i.p ), but I might've liked the game a bit more if they at least let us explore the sevii islands after the main game.
vbbxBX.png9QNbhfp.png
Probably Let's Go. The eevee was cute and all but I just grew to hate that pokemon capture system.
Probably Let's Go. The eevee was cute and all but I just grew to hate that pokemon capture system.
tumblr_inline_mjvop8mMef1qz4rgp.gif tumblr_md2y0qnWDS1qk1or3.gif
I can't really give too much criticism on the original games since those who made those games didn't exactly know what direction the franchise would go, I will say, though, that Sword and Shield have kinda had hit and miss moments for me, I've not even played the updated versions of those games. What REALLY bummed me out was the fact that you get to see Eternatus as Eternamax when you're battling it, but then you come to realize that you can't have Eternamax after catching it. So yeah, that sucked. There were a lot of things about that game that didn't bother me too much, but if a company's gonna have me see a Pokemon with a cool design under certain conditions, it would be great if I could have that Pokemon that would have a method of which I could HAVE that cool design during battles on that Pokemon as well.
As someone who grew up playing the Pokemon games before 3D graphics became a thing for the franchise, I'm not bothered by the games that have a more pixelated aesthetic to them, in fact, sometimes I wish the games would go back to that aesthetic for the sake of nostalgia.
I can't really give too much criticism on the original games since those who made those games didn't exactly know what direction the franchise would go, I will say, though, that Sword and Shield have kinda had hit and miss moments for me, I've not even played the updated versions of those games. What REALLY bummed me out was the fact that you get to see Eternatus as Eternamax when you're battling it, but then you come to realize that you can't have Eternamax after catching it. So yeah, that sucked. There were a lot of things about that game that didn't bother me too much, but if a company's gonna have me see a Pokemon with a cool design under certain conditions, it would be great if I could have that Pokemon that would have a method of which I could HAVE that cool design during battles on that Pokemon as well.
As someone who grew up playing the Pokemon games before 3D graphics became a thing for the franchise, I'm not bothered by the games that have a more pixelated aesthetic to them, in fact, sometimes I wish the games would go back to that aesthetic for the sake of nostalgia.
Bit of a dangerous question these days

In all honesty, I can’t choose. No one generation stands out more or less than the others. If any game has something I hate about it, there’s also something else I love about it.

Kanto and Johto have the best map design imo but also the worst balancing. Gens 3, 6, and 8 have my favorite Pokémon designs. Best story is probably B/W and (Ultra) S/M. I haven’t mentioned Gen 4 yet, so maybe I could say those games, but I spent sooo much time in the Underground and other areas it feels wrong to throw it under the bus. And I can count all the things X/Y got wrong, but it’s still a very special game to me. So yeah, I can’t choose between my children.
Bit of a dangerous question these days

In all honesty, I can’t choose. No one generation stands out more or less than the others. If any game has something I hate about it, there’s also something else I love about it.

Kanto and Johto have the best map design imo but also the worst balancing. Gens 3, 6, and 8 have my favorite Pokémon designs. Best story is probably B/W and (Ultra) S/M. I haven’t mentioned Gen 4 yet, so maybe I could say those games, but I spent sooo much time in the Underground and other areas it feels wrong to throw it under the bus. And I can count all the things X/Y got wrong, but it’s still a very special game to me. So yeah, I can’t choose between my children.
Probably Let's Go, I found it kind of boring. The fact that you're limited to Gen 1 Pokemon doesn't help.
Probably Let's Go, I found it kind of boring. The fact that you're limited to Gen 1 Pokemon doesn't help.
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
Either Yellow for being nothing but Rattata and Raticate, or Sword/Shield for... literally every horrible problem already noted about them and the lack of true innovation in comparison to yet another gimmick likely to be abandoned by next gen.
Either Yellow for being nothing but Rattata and Raticate, or Sword/Shield for... literally every horrible problem already noted about them and the lack of true innovation in comparison to yet another gimmick likely to be abandoned by next gen.
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
ORAS. A 3DS game shouldn't have the same shortcomings of coming to 3D that PS1 games had on their first outings back in the day. Just a plain ol' poor and lazy transition of the world in general, and stubborness to not acknowledge that Emerald existed when it came to battle improvements. Instead you get megas, something that really should've been postgame only due to it being a remake. Oh, and also Battle Frontier going poof.

Second place is probably Yellow. I don't know why anyone thought just giving Koga a bunch of Venonats was a good idea. Sure a couple of bugs were fixed like remembering the Champion actually needs moves, but we have pokered projects like Shin Pokemon Red/Blue for that now (which also add Yellow's color methods).
ORAS. A 3DS game shouldn't have the same shortcomings of coming to 3D that PS1 games had on their first outings back in the day. Just a plain ol' poor and lazy transition of the world in general, and stubborness to not acknowledge that Emerald existed when it came to battle improvements. Instead you get megas, something that really should've been postgame only due to it being a remake. Oh, and also Battle Frontier going poof.

Second place is probably Yellow. I don't know why anyone thought just giving Koga a bunch of Venonats was a good idea. Sure a couple of bugs were fixed like remembering the Champion actually needs moves, but we have pokered projects like Shin Pokemon Red/Blue for that now (which also add Yellow's color methods).
My writing project.
1 2 3 4