Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | The worst Pokemon game of all time?
1 2 3 4
Sword and Shield or Sun and Moon.

Sw/Sh was a big let down, because I don't like any of the new Pokemon/ forms since they all seem to be targeted towards smaller children. They're all round and soft-ish. Dynamaxing is also a sub-par power up, not as bad as Z-moves but nothings been better than mega evolution so far. The starters for Sw/Sh are pretty bad too, mainly Cinderace tho because it's so boring. The map wasn't too bad, but the story was trash. There wasn't really an evil villain team until the very end, and the Dens made it so easy to overlevel and one-shot every Gym leader's Pokemon. I've noticed that past gen 5 (maybe even past gen 4), the games got significantly easier as they became 3D instead of pixel. To Sw/Sh's credit though, I did like the depth of Hop's character and how much emotion he showed. I will also credit them for adding a lot of Pokemon from gen 5 (which needs more appreciation besides the gears and ice cream), and for not having an obviously more "feminine" starter.

So for Su/Mo, the story wasn't *bad*, but it seemed like it tried to be super deep and complex but was still kind of shallow. Ultra-beasts were kind of meh, and there wasn't enough lore surrounding them to make me interested. Don't even get me started on Z-moves. Incineroar is basically a Fire/Fighting type. Oh, also the style change for the Su/Mo anime made me so angry. I do like Gladion's character and Alolan Vulpix. The concept of regional variants was cool, so I appreciate that as well.

To be honest, I've never been a huge fan of any games past gen 6, because of the increasingly younger target groups and the babyfication of all the Pokemon. I will probably continue to dislike each newer gen more and more until a completely open-world, more dangerous, older target group Pokemon game comes out where you can have a Pokemon from your party out to ride/swim/fly on (like Let's Go!). I've always wanted a game where the Pokemon look scarier, and the story is more intense than "oh, I'm going to beat the bad guys and become the Champion!".

Also I really want a Diamond/Pearl/Platinum remake to come out (preferably with the added features that I have stated in the paragraph above).
Sword and Shield or Sun and Moon.

Sw/Sh was a big let down, because I don't like any of the new Pokemon/ forms since they all seem to be targeted towards smaller children. They're all round and soft-ish. Dynamaxing is also a sub-par power up, not as bad as Z-moves but nothings been better than mega evolution so far. The starters for Sw/Sh are pretty bad too, mainly Cinderace tho because it's so boring. The map wasn't too bad, but the story was trash. There wasn't really an evil villain team until the very end, and the Dens made it so easy to overlevel and one-shot every Gym leader's Pokemon. I've noticed that past gen 5 (maybe even past gen 4), the games got significantly easier as they became 3D instead of pixel. To Sw/Sh's credit though, I did like the depth of Hop's character and how much emotion he showed. I will also credit them for adding a lot of Pokemon from gen 5 (which needs more appreciation besides the gears and ice cream), and for not having an obviously more "feminine" starter.

So for Su/Mo, the story wasn't *bad*, but it seemed like it tried to be super deep and complex but was still kind of shallow. Ultra-beasts were kind of meh, and there wasn't enough lore surrounding them to make me interested. Don't even get me started on Z-moves. Incineroar is basically a Fire/Fighting type. Oh, also the style change for the Su/Mo anime made me so angry. I do like Gladion's character and Alolan Vulpix. The concept of regional variants was cool, so I appreciate that as well.

To be honest, I've never been a huge fan of any games past gen 6, because of the increasingly younger target groups and the babyfication of all the Pokemon. I will probably continue to dislike each newer gen more and more until a completely open-world, more dangerous, older target group Pokemon game comes out where you can have a Pokemon from your party out to ride/swim/fly on (like Let's Go!). I've always wanted a game where the Pokemon look scarier, and the story is more intense than "oh, I'm going to beat the bad guys and become the Champion!".

Also I really want a Diamond/Pearl/Platinum remake to come out (preferably with the added features that I have stated in the paragraph above).
black/white-- the music absolutely SLAPS but i just didn't care for many of the pokemon designs, and its kinda hard to get connected to your team when you only like 2 of them gjhgsdfjds
black/white-- the music absolutely SLAPS but i just didn't care for many of the pokemon designs, and its kinda hard to get connected to your team when you only like 2 of them gjhgsdfjds
39.png
From Gen 6 and on I think the games have gotten worse with each release. Honestly I was really excited when the jump from 2d to 3d happened. But with the last gens it has felt like they don't really want to experiment with what they can do.
I was honestly baffled when I learned that SwSh had over 1,000 employees working on the game. Because at launch it did not feel like the work of a large group.

I have seen the plot and pacing being heavily affected the most. The gimmicks are honestly very lame. Like I've used dynamax and gigantamax and I never want to see it again. I could be really nitpicky was it's not worth it. I'll just say that so far SwSh takes the cake for being the worst. I had problems with Sun and Moon but compared to the latter they just show how much is missing from Sword and Shield. ://
One last thing, starting with SuMo, everything is just taking a longer time than it should. Like the battles, animation, dynamax adventures, so many things. Idk if it's just me who thinks this.
From Gen 6 and on I think the games have gotten worse with each release. Honestly I was really excited when the jump from 2d to 3d happened. But with the last gens it has felt like they don't really want to experiment with what they can do.
I was honestly baffled when I learned that SwSh had over 1,000 employees working on the game. Because at launch it did not feel like the work of a large group.

I have seen the plot and pacing being heavily affected the most. The gimmicks are honestly very lame. Like I've used dynamax and gigantamax and I never want to see it again. I could be really nitpicky was it's not worth it. I'll just say that so far SwSh takes the cake for being the worst. I had problems with Sun and Moon but compared to the latter they just show how much is missing from Sword and Shield. ://
One last thing, starting with SuMo, everything is just taking a longer time than it should. Like the battles, animation, dynamax adventures, so many things. Idk if it's just me who thinks this.
tsKE8q5.png 11nVSmV.png

LF Vibrant Dragons

Art Dump!

Tot's Extra Dergs

IlQRgS6.png

My favourite games are from gen 2, 3 and 6. So maybe my opinions are garbage, but I gotta go with Sun/Moon.

Like there was a lot they could have improved with gen 6. When you think about how much work it was to get all the sprites converted to 3D under a deadline and yet ORAS was a solid remake, you kinda get this thought in your head that the next gen will have time to improve and be better.

It wasn't. It was gen 6.5. Disappointing. Then they make them even more irrelevant with the Ultra versions.
My favourite games are from gen 2, 3 and 6. So maybe my opinions are garbage, but I gotta go with Sun/Moon.

Like there was a lot they could have improved with gen 6. When you think about how much work it was to get all the sprites converted to 3D under a deadline and yet ORAS was a solid remake, you kinda get this thought in your head that the next gen will have time to improve and be better.

It wasn't. It was gen 6.5. Disappointing. Then they make them even more irrelevant with the Ultra versions.
Sword was rubbish and disappointed even me more than No Man's Sky. I don't recall how far I got into the game before I simply stopped playing because of how repetitive and uninspired the gameplay & pokemon felt to me, even though I have played previous games in the franchise without losing motivation or interest to complete them. I expected at least some innovation to the core mechanics of the game with the franchise moving from solely a handheld platform to the Switch, as well as an option to increase the difficulty for more experienced gamers.

Like others I won't be buying any future Pokemon games, not until the game is released and it is established by the gaming community that the game is worth playing. I certainly won't be buying any DLC if I can't muster the willpower to finish the story.
Sword was rubbish and disappointed even me more than No Man's Sky. I don't recall how far I got into the game before I simply stopped playing because of how repetitive and uninspired the gameplay & pokemon felt to me, even though I have played previous games in the franchise without losing motivation or interest to complete them. I expected at least some innovation to the core mechanics of the game with the franchise moving from solely a handheld platform to the Switch, as well as an option to increase the difficulty for more experienced gamers.

Like others I won't be buying any future Pokemon games, not until the game is released and it is established by the gaming community that the game is worth playing. I certainly won't be buying any DLC if I can't muster the willpower to finish the story.
USUM

Sun and Moon were great, but USUM blew.
USUM

Sun and Moon were great, but USUM blew.
Nothing much to say here.

slCEFYq.png
sZShZzW.png
Generic bandwagon answer but Sword and Shield :/

It's not even the NatDex problem for me (though that is bad on its own). It's that everything feels really flat and linear. The later towns in the game especially suffer from half the buildings being effectively cardboard cutouts that you can't even walk into or explore. Spikemuth in particular has such a great aesthetic but it's also literally a straight line.

I also don't think raiding is enough to make a strong postgame. The DLC helps and does look good from what I've seen (did not buy it and probably won't) but imo it should have been included in the base game. It looks much more polished than the main game though, so I think everything just needed to be in development a bit longer. Pokemon suffers a lot from being a near-yearly release with a small dev team relative to the massive size and popularity of the franchise.
Generic bandwagon answer but Sword and Shield :/

It's not even the NatDex problem for me (though that is bad on its own). It's that everything feels really flat and linear. The later towns in the game especially suffer from half the buildings being effectively cardboard cutouts that you can't even walk into or explore. Spikemuth in particular has such a great aesthetic but it's also literally a straight line.

I also don't think raiding is enough to make a strong postgame. The DLC helps and does look good from what I've seen (did not buy it and probably won't) but imo it should have been included in the base game. It looks much more polished than the main game though, so I think everything just needed to be in development a bit longer. Pokemon suffers a lot from being a near-yearly release with a small dev team relative to the massive size and popularity of the franchise.
Never be afraid to ping me!
I was so disappointed in S/M that I didn't even bother with Sw/Sh, but it sounds like I didn't miss out on much. The only pokemon in that game that look cool were the legendaries, but the rest of the roster were ugly and a huge downgrade from S/M.

I've never felt as patronized in my life as I did while playing through Sun/Moon, there was so much handholding and baby-gating that I had enough. There's no post-game material of any substanace, the plot was meh, the pokemon designs are ugly, and I felt like legendaries were wayyyy too easy to get.

The last pokemon game that I truly enjoyed was Alpha Sapphire. Everything after B/W 2 has been really disappointing tbh.
I was so disappointed in S/M that I didn't even bother with Sw/Sh, but it sounds like I didn't miss out on much. The only pokemon in that game that look cool were the legendaries, but the rest of the roster were ugly and a huge downgrade from S/M.

I've never felt as patronized in my life as I did while playing through Sun/Moon, there was so much handholding and baby-gating that I had enough. There's no post-game material of any substanace, the plot was meh, the pokemon designs are ugly, and I felt like legendaries were wayyyy too easy to get.

The last pokemon game that I truly enjoyed was Alpha Sapphire. Everything after B/W 2 has been really disappointing tbh.
ybwf4f9.gif
The newer gens haven't been great...
Some of them like Sun and Moon and Sword and Shield had good story potential but bad writing/ execution.

Let's Go should have been a remake of Fire Red/Leaf Green
then at least it would have been the Definitive Gen One Experience!(TM)

Sword/Shield just needed more time in the oven
Sun and Moon tried to be deep at least

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are the worst. They had all the handholding annoyances of Sun and Moon and butchered what little story was there. They are the only games I find painful to play.
The newer gens haven't been great...
Some of them like Sun and Moon and Sword and Shield had good story potential but bad writing/ execution.

Let's Go should have been a remake of Fire Red/Leaf Green
then at least it would have been the Definitive Gen One Experience!(TM)

Sword/Shield just needed more time in the oven
Sun and Moon tried to be deep at least

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are the worst. They had all the handholding annoyances of Sun and Moon and butchered what little story was there. They are the only games I find painful to play.
YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

1 2 3 4