Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | The worst Pokemon game of all time?
1 2 3 4
Sword & Shield. Really don't the design of Zacian or Zamazenta, or the Dynamax/Gigantimax mechanic. I was hesitant about Mega Evolution and Z-Moves when those came out, but I pretty quickly came around to liking both mechanics a lot. Think I've had enough time with Dynamax/Gigantimax that I can confidently say I don't like them.
Sword & Shield. Really don't the design of Zacian or Zamazenta, or the Dynamax/Gigantimax mechanic. I was hesitant about Mega Evolution and Z-Moves when those came out, but I pretty quickly came around to liking both mechanics a lot. Think I've had enough time with Dynamax/Gigantimax that I can confidently say I don't like them.
im not a big fan of the let's go games, they were fun, but not on par to the other games
im not a big fan of the let's go games, they were fun, but not on par to the other games
Let's go was not fun. It was another unneeded g1 remake made to peddle pokemon go and honestly I shouldnt have got it. It was a real turn off from the franchise for me, and the last games i will ever play from them are diamond/pearl remakes if they ever make them. I really am dissapointed for many reasons about the sw/sh ones too but thats not nearly as bad. but still the dlc can go burn in hell it brought back everything wrong with sun/moon competitive >:(
Let's go was not fun. It was another unneeded g1 remake made to peddle pokemon go and honestly I shouldnt have got it. It was a real turn off from the franchise for me, and the last games i will ever play from them are diamond/pearl remakes if they ever make them. I really am dissapointed for many reasons about the sw/sh ones too but thats not nearly as bad. but still the dlc can go burn in hell it brought back everything wrong with sun/moon competitive >:(
Huge old dragon purge here. All under 2mil ID digits (T/G) accepted. 6 digits, leveled dragons, earth dragons, old coatls, unbreds, xxy, etc all for sale please make offers
All the 3D games, imo. Ever since the jump to 3D, Pokemon became way more gimmicky, boring, and linear. There is a lot that has lead up to this (like the fact that Masuda thinks kids don’t want to play games that require effort due to “phones”). However, I would be rambling here all day about why modern Pokemon is just simply not entertaining to me if I wanted to elaborate, and I am too tired for that rn. So, I will just leave it at that for now.

All the 3D games, imo. Ever since the jump to 3D, Pokemon became way more gimmicky, boring, and linear. There is a lot that has lead up to this (like the fact that Masuda thinks kids don’t want to play games that require effort due to “phones”). However, I would be rambling here all day about why modern Pokemon is just simply not entertaining to me if I wanted to elaborate, and I am too tired for that rn. So, I will just leave it at that for now.

5255079-8Mmx39RQgBpdGm07.jpg
[quote name="JoweeTheRaposa" date="2021-01-26 15:22:37" ] All the 3D games, imo. Ever since the jump to 3D, Pokemon became way more gimmicky, boring, and linear. There is a lot that has lead up to this (like the fact that Masuda thinks kids don’t want to play games that require effort due to “phones”), but honestly I could ramble all day about why modern Pokemon is just simply not entertaining to me anymore. [/quote]I would argue that Black and White started the descent, but I agree that when things went 3D was the same gen when there were no brakes on the power creep/gimmick train. The exception to this IMO is Let's Go. Sure the PGO mechanics are rightfully in the "love or hate" department and so are the weird plot elements, but they actually paid attention to things like balance and move availability. A lot of modern-day mechanics were also outright benched, though megas stayed around. If only Sword/Shield got the same amount of attention.
JoweeTheRaposa wrote on 2021-01-26 15:22:37:
All the 3D games, imo. Ever since the jump to 3D, Pokemon became way more gimmicky, boring, and linear. There is a lot that has lead up to this (like the fact that Masuda thinks kids don’t want to play games that require effort due to “phones”), but honestly I could ramble all day about why modern Pokemon is just simply not entertaining to me anymore.
I would argue that Black and White started the descent, but I agree that when things went 3D was the same gen when there were no brakes on the power creep/gimmick train.

The exception to this IMO is Let's Go. Sure the PGO mechanics are rightfully in the "love or hate" department and so are the weird plot elements, but they actually paid attention to things like balance and move availability. A lot of modern-day mechanics were also outright benched, though megas stayed around. If only Sword/Shield got the same amount of attention.
My writing project.
I actually loved LetsGo. The capture mechanic sucked from a usage standpoint cuz the motion controls are terrible but it was nice to take a break from constant battles and do a different style of "mini game" for captures. Plus the art was super cute and I was really enjoying a chill, simplified playthrough. Lets Go felt like they cared and put a lot of polish and effort into everything. The follow animations were so fun to discover. Lets Go might actually be one of my favorites!

100% the worst game imo is SWSH. I have enjoyed most Pokémon games when others didn't (a lot of people hated XY and SuMo but I enjoyed them), but SWSH is the only game that I hate the more I think about it. The graphics are unpolished, the story feels incomplete, and the raid battles are fun at first but become repetitive very fast. Some of the Pokémon designs are really amazing, especially when you can interact with them in the camp, and the gym battles have amazing atmosphere, but the whole game looks and feels unfinished, like the devs didn't care.. I wish they would have saved the Eternatus stuff for the post game. Also hottake: the wild area looks like garbage.

I'm also someone who really enjoys the art of the games and enjoys seeing all the Pokémon designs so that's probably why I loved seeing the unique and creative animations of the follow Pokémon in Lets Go so much. I think there's a lot more charm to the 2d sprites in general but I've always been fine with the 3d stuff.
I actually loved LetsGo. The capture mechanic sucked from a usage standpoint cuz the motion controls are terrible but it was nice to take a break from constant battles and do a different style of "mini game" for captures. Plus the art was super cute and I was really enjoying a chill, simplified playthrough. Lets Go felt like they cared and put a lot of polish and effort into everything. The follow animations were so fun to discover. Lets Go might actually be one of my favorites!

100% the worst game imo is SWSH. I have enjoyed most Pokémon games when others didn't (a lot of people hated XY and SuMo but I enjoyed them), but SWSH is the only game that I hate the more I think about it. The graphics are unpolished, the story feels incomplete, and the raid battles are fun at first but become repetitive very fast. Some of the Pokémon designs are really amazing, especially when you can interact with them in the camp, and the gym battles have amazing atmosphere, but the whole game looks and feels unfinished, like the devs didn't care.. I wish they would have saved the Eternatus stuff for the post game. Also hottake: the wild area looks like garbage.

I'm also someone who really enjoys the art of the games and enjoys seeing all the Pokémon designs so that's probably why I loved seeing the unique and creative animations of the follow Pokémon in Lets Go so much. I think there's a lot more charm to the 2d sprites in general but I've always been fine with the 3d stuff.
Probably Ruby/Sapphire. A lot of the plot makes no sense depending on which team is focused on. Why is Team Magma stealing a [i]submarine[/i] to summon the [u]land[/u]-creating Pokémon in an [i]undersea[/i] cave? How does going to a [i]volcano[/i] help Team Aqua's plans to summon the [u]sea[/u]-creating Pokémon? There's also the sprites being the most off-model they've been since gen 1. If it isn't in the Hoenn Pokedex, odds are they didn't care too much about making sure its sprites looked their best. Consequently, there are lots of sprites with goofy expressions or improperly saturated colors; at worst, they're nearly identical to their shiny versions. While the bad posing got fixed in FL/LG, in some cases there were Pokémon whose sprites' colors didn't reflect their official art again until HG/SS. [center][img]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/d/d6/Spr_3r_207.png[/img][img]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/0/0a/Spr_3r_006.png[/img][img]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/8/8b/Spr_3r_161.png[/img][img]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/3/3d/Spr_3r_058.png[/img][/center] Honorary mention to Diamond and Pearl because while they brought in many innovations, the time it takes to surf anywhere, save after using the storage system, or watch HP decrease is long enough for Barry to start threatening to give out fines.
Probably Ruby/Sapphire. A lot of the plot makes no sense depending on which team is focused on. Why is Team Magma stealing a submarine to summon the land-creating Pokémon in an undersea cave? How does going to a volcano help Team Aqua's plans to summon the sea-creating Pokémon?

There's also the sprites being the most off-model they've been since gen 1. If it isn't in the Hoenn Pokedex, odds are they didn't care too much about making sure its sprites looked their best. Consequently, there are lots of sprites with goofy expressions or improperly saturated colors; at worst, they're nearly identical to their shiny versions. While the bad posing got fixed in FL/LG, in some cases there were Pokémon whose sprites' colors didn't reflect their official art again until HG/SS.
Spr_3r_207.pngSpr_3r_006.pngSpr_3r_161.pngSpr_3r_058.png

Honorary mention to Diamond and Pearl because while they brought in many innovations, the time it takes to surf anywhere, save after using the storage system, or watch HP decrease is long enough for Barry to start threatening to give out fines.
tumblr_nknb5ifvlX1s7y9wxo5_100.pngiiadg18.png
[quote name="Lunalatic" date="2021-01-26 16:48:21" ] Probably Ruby/Sapphire. A lot of the plot makes no sense depending on which team is focused on. Why is Team Magma stealing a [i]submarine[/i] to summon the [u]land[/u]-creating Pokémon in an [i]undersea[/i] cave? How does going to a [i]volcano[/i] help Team Aqua's plans to summon the [u]sea[/u]-creating Pokémon? There's also the sprites being the most off-model they've been since gen 1. If it isn't in the Hoenn Pokedex, odds are they didn't care too much about making sure its sprites looked their best. Consequently, there are lots of sprites with goofy expressions or improperly saturated colors; at worst, they're nearly identical to their shiny versions. While the bad posing got fixed in FL/LG, in some cases there were Pokémon whose sprites' colors didn't reflect their official art again until HG/SS. [center][img]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/d/d6/Spr_3r_207.png[/img][img]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/0/0a/Spr_3r_006.png[/img][img]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/8/8b/Spr_3r_161.png[/img][img]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/3/3d/Spr_3r_058.png[/img][/center] [/quote] At least they fixed the story issues in Emerald. Fun fact though: if you pay close attention to some backsprites on non-Hoenn pokemon, they're actually the same as in Crystal.
Lunalatic wrote on 2021-01-26 16:48:21:
Probably Ruby/Sapphire. A lot of the plot makes no sense depending on which team is focused on. Why is Team Magma stealing a submarine to summon the land-creating Pokémon in an undersea cave? How does going to a volcano help Team Aqua's plans to summon the sea-creating Pokémon?

There's also the sprites being the most off-model they've been since gen 1. If it isn't in the Hoenn Pokedex, odds are they didn't care too much about making sure its sprites looked their best. Consequently, there are lots of sprites with goofy expressions or improperly saturated colors; at worst, they're nearly identical to their shiny versions. While the bad posing got fixed in FL/LG, in some cases there were Pokémon whose sprites' colors didn't reflect their official art again until HG/SS.
Spr_3r_207.pngSpr_3r_006.pngSpr_3r_161.pngSpr_3r_058.png
At least they fixed the story issues in Emerald.

Fun fact though: if you pay close attention to some backsprites on non-Hoenn pokemon, they're actually the same as in Crystal.
My writing project.
anything after gen 5 belongs in the trash, sorry. I can't deal with all the handholding and cutscenes every 10 seconds.
anything after gen 5 belongs in the trash, sorry. I can't deal with all the handholding and cutscenes every 10 seconds.
9vd48xw.png
Ima be honest I wasn’t completely thrilled with Sword and Shield. My opinion technically isn’t that valuable given I’ve only played about 4 hours of the game ever, but it felt like I was flying through the gym leaders (and the game as a whole?) I remember my first Pokémon game, Pearl, and fighting the gym leaders felt like such a intense and powerful moment! This could just be entirely me though. I will say I did love the graphics of SWSH. I love it when tech gets a upgrade and I really liked the models of the Pokémon!
A small gripe I had with SWSH is what kinda feels like the lack of design? The characters themselves are sooooo nice but I feel like some of the Pokémon were a little skimped on. I know not everything is gonna be my cup of tea but hmmm. Zacian and Zamazenta are some of my favorite legendary Pokémon designs though.
I think the biggest thing that I didn’t like about SWSH is the gigantamax/dynamax feature. It just feels really out of place I think? I would much rather have continued the mega evolution aspect. I can’t speak from a game mechanics standpoint because I’m a very casual player, but It just doesn’t feel like a cohesive thing to me.
Ima be honest I wasn’t completely thrilled with Sword and Shield. My opinion technically isn’t that valuable given I’ve only played about 4 hours of the game ever, but it felt like I was flying through the gym leaders (and the game as a whole?) I remember my first Pokémon game, Pearl, and fighting the gym leaders felt like such a intense and powerful moment! This could just be entirely me though. I will say I did love the graphics of SWSH. I love it when tech gets a upgrade and I really liked the models of the Pokémon!
A small gripe I had with SWSH is what kinda feels like the lack of design? The characters themselves are sooooo nice but I feel like some of the Pokémon were a little skimped on. I know not everything is gonna be my cup of tea but hmmm. Zacian and Zamazenta are some of my favorite legendary Pokémon designs though.
I think the biggest thing that I didn’t like about SWSH is the gigantamax/dynamax feature. It just feels really out of place I think? I would much rather have continued the mega evolution aspect. I can’t speak from a game mechanics standpoint because I’m a very casual player, but It just doesn’t feel like a cohesive thing to me.
DE4-CE494-C24-A-441-F-8809-5-B8-BFD08205-C.png| He/She | Autistic/ADHD| 3+ FR Time |
1 2 3 4