Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Worst[physical]pain you’ve been in
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
getting braces for the first time. it hurt so bad i could hardly close my mouth, it hurt when my teeth touched. also some period cramps i had that lasted for hours and had me googling if i had something seriously wrong with me.
getting braces for the first time. it hurt so bad i could hardly close my mouth, it hurt when my teeth touched. also some period cramps i had that lasted for hours and had me googling if i had something seriously wrong with me.
wqnTQE2.png
addams » she / her » avatar dragon
“i think i might have fallen in love...”
”...what am i to do?”

had a cyst rupture in my ovaries, was hospitalized bc i was in such extreme pain. legit felt like i was going to pass out. it also came with ridiculous amount of nausea so overall horrible experience. the level of pain for such a consistent and long amount of time was very much something i never want to experience again. they sent me home with some p strong pain meds tho so that definitely helped while my body had time to just calm down a little
had a cyst rupture in my ovaries, was hospitalized bc i was in such extreme pain. legit felt like i was going to pass out. it also came with ridiculous amount of nausea so overall horrible experience. the level of pain for such a consistent and long amount of time was very much something i never want to experience again. they sent me home with some p strong pain meds tho so that definitely helped while my body had time to just calm down a little
I've been unlucky in the medical procedures department. I've had a lot of horrible stuff done to me in the name of improving my health. Top prizes are as follows.

First Place: Tonsillectomy at age 14. My insurance insisted on doing it as an outpatient procedure, so when the pain meds from the hospital wore off after I got home, it sucked. I spent a week in so much pain that I got up to spit out my own saliva rather than swallowing it as needed like a normal person. My uvula (the little dangling thing in the back of your throat) swelled up so large that the tissue because translucent and I could see lymph fluid swirling around inside. Talking was out of the question. I ate and drank so little that I lost ten pounds in that week. I would rather do all of my other painful medical procedures all over again rather than have to do another tonsillectomy.

Second Place: Removal of big toenail with incorrectly administered local anesthetic. My toenail was loose and threatening to come off and make a painful mess, so I went to an urgent care clinic because it was the weekend and my podiatrist's office wasn't open. Turns out the urgent care doctor who removed my toenail forgot there's a big old nerve that runs underneath the big toe that requires numbing before doing anything to the toenail. Even though he (partially) numbed me up, when he pulled out my toenail I felt the whole thing. It felt like he set my toe on fire.

Third Place: I get chronic migraines. From what I understand, mine are very, very mild, but they still aren't fun. Anyway, my neurologist decided to try something called a nerve blocker to see if that would prevent me from getting so many headaches. It involves injecting lidocaine (a local anesthetic that burns like a mother when injected) into the forehead (directly above the eyebrows) and the temples. He was very pleased that I sat there and didn't react when he injected me, because apparently his patients typically jerk and thrash around when he does it. Anyway, the really severe pain didn't last too long, but it was emotionally traumatizing. I'm not alone in that, either, as my neurologist says the patients he does that to often tell him they'd rather deal with the actual migraines than get the nerve blocker again.

Honorable Mention: My minimally invasive back surgery. It was to clean up the mess left by one of the discs in my lower back getting gushy. Waking up in recovery wasn't fun (first thing I did was vomit from the anesthesia), but when the nurse told me I had to get up off the gurney and walk to the bathroom, I wanted to cry. Seriously, it took all of my willpower to get up, because I knew it was going to hurt like hell. And it did. The first three days after the surgery were the most horrible and I required opioids every six hours to make the pain bearable, but after that I was able to get by with just extra strength tylenol. It took me six weeks to recover enough that I could sit up and walk around mostly normally. Worth it, though. Prior to the surgery I was unable to walk more than about fifty feet before needing to sit down because of the pain in my leg and lower back.

As bad as all of those were, the most intense pain award goes to my occasional intestinal cramps from what is probably Irritable Bowel Syndrome. On at least one occasion they were so bad that I seriously thought death sounded like a great idea just to escape the pain.

Brownie Points to all the people posting in this thread. Pain is the worst.
I've been unlucky in the medical procedures department. I've had a lot of horrible stuff done to me in the name of improving my health. Top prizes are as follows.

First Place: Tonsillectomy at age 14. My insurance insisted on doing it as an outpatient procedure, so when the pain meds from the hospital wore off after I got home, it sucked. I spent a week in so much pain that I got up to spit out my own saliva rather than swallowing it as needed like a normal person. My uvula (the little dangling thing in the back of your throat) swelled up so large that the tissue because translucent and I could see lymph fluid swirling around inside. Talking was out of the question. I ate and drank so little that I lost ten pounds in that week. I would rather do all of my other painful medical procedures all over again rather than have to do another tonsillectomy.

Second Place: Removal of big toenail with incorrectly administered local anesthetic. My toenail was loose and threatening to come off and make a painful mess, so I went to an urgent care clinic because it was the weekend and my podiatrist's office wasn't open. Turns out the urgent care doctor who removed my toenail forgot there's a big old nerve that runs underneath the big toe that requires numbing before doing anything to the toenail. Even though he (partially) numbed me up, when he pulled out my toenail I felt the whole thing. It felt like he set my toe on fire.

Third Place: I get chronic migraines. From what I understand, mine are very, very mild, but they still aren't fun. Anyway, my neurologist decided to try something called a nerve blocker to see if that would prevent me from getting so many headaches. It involves injecting lidocaine (a local anesthetic that burns like a mother when injected) into the forehead (directly above the eyebrows) and the temples. He was very pleased that I sat there and didn't react when he injected me, because apparently his patients typically jerk and thrash around when he does it. Anyway, the really severe pain didn't last too long, but it was emotionally traumatizing. I'm not alone in that, either, as my neurologist says the patients he does that to often tell him they'd rather deal with the actual migraines than get the nerve blocker again.

Honorable Mention: My minimally invasive back surgery. It was to clean up the mess left by one of the discs in my lower back getting gushy. Waking up in recovery wasn't fun (first thing I did was vomit from the anesthesia), but when the nurse told me I had to get up off the gurney and walk to the bathroom, I wanted to cry. Seriously, it took all of my willpower to get up, because I knew it was going to hurt like hell. And it did. The first three days after the surgery were the most horrible and I required opioids every six hours to make the pain bearable, but after that I was able to get by with just extra strength tylenol. It took me six weeks to recover enough that I could sit up and walk around mostly normally. Worth it, though. Prior to the surgery I was unable to walk more than about fifty feet before needing to sit down because of the pain in my leg and lower back.

As bad as all of those were, the most intense pain award goes to my occasional intestinal cramps from what is probably Irritable Bowel Syndrome. On at least one occasion they were so bad that I seriously thought death sounded like a great idea just to escape the pain.

Brownie Points to all the people posting in this thread. Pain is the worst.
My fingers and thumbs splitting seemingly constantly because of it being winter and because of retail. Actually, my right thumb was exceptionally painful because of a split that wouldn't stop hurting. I don't usually react relatively loudly to pain, but that split actually made me scream a bit when all I was doing was raising/lowering the window in my mom's car. The splits are the worst for me right now because no matter what I do, they just won't go away
My fingers and thumbs splitting seemingly constantly because of it being winter and because of retail. Actually, my right thumb was exceptionally painful because of a split that wouldn't stop hurting. I don't usually react relatively loudly to pain, but that split actually made me scream a bit when all I was doing was raising/lowering the window in my mom's car. The splits are the worst for me right now because no matter what I do, they just won't go away
The time when I chipped a tooth from trying to eat a rock (it looked like chocolate, and I was 6), once when I was out in freezing temperatures for several hours (the normal temperatures where I live are between 70F-110F), when a German Shepherd bit me (also happened when I was 6), and when I broke my toe. In case you couldn't tell, my pain tolerance is very low.
The time when I chipped a tooth from trying to eat a rock (it looked like chocolate, and I was 6), once when I was out in freezing temperatures for several hours (the normal temperatures where I live are between 70F-110F), when a German Shepherd bit me (also happened when I was 6), and when I broke my toe. In case you couldn't tell, my pain tolerance is very low.
Ovarial cysts being ruptured

I have pcos, which is a hormonal imbalance disorder. In other words, I have too much testosterone. And with that comes some pretty nasty side effects, I have ovarial cysts, I get a period like once every 4-6 months (it lasts 2 weeks and is mega heavy, not as good as it seems) and Iv'e got other effects of pcos. But when period month does hit, it friggin SUCKS A$$ my cramps make me feel like I'm dying and one time I had experienced pain so bad that I could not move and I was rolling on the floor yowling and groaning in absolute agony for 2 days, I couldn't eat or drink as it was just too painful to do so, and I threw up after I ate anything as well. And then my mother finally takes me to the hospital on the second day and they straight up told me that what had happened was that an ovarial cyst.....that was only FOUR MILLIMETERS WHICH BY THE WAY IS ONLY 0.15748 YES THE ZERO IS IN FRONT OF THE DECIMAL !!! And what was sooooooo agonizing was that little 4 millimeter cyst ruptured and the liquid that left behind was was causing that great pain......and I am soooooooooooooooo mad at that.
Ovarial cysts being ruptured

I have pcos, which is a hormonal imbalance disorder. In other words, I have too much testosterone. And with that comes some pretty nasty side effects, I have ovarial cysts, I get a period like once every 4-6 months (it lasts 2 weeks and is mega heavy, not as good as it seems) and Iv'e got other effects of pcos. But when period month does hit, it friggin SUCKS A$$ my cramps make me feel like I'm dying and one time I had experienced pain so bad that I could not move and I was rolling on the floor yowling and groaning in absolute agony for 2 days, I couldn't eat or drink as it was just too painful to do so, and I threw up after I ate anything as well. And then my mother finally takes me to the hospital on the second day and they straight up told me that what had happened was that an ovarial cyst.....that was only FOUR MILLIMETERS WHICH BY THE WAY IS ONLY 0.15748 YES THE ZERO IS IN FRONT OF THE DECIMAL !!! And what was sooooooo agonizing was that little 4 millimeter cyst ruptured and the liquid that left behind was was causing that great pain......and I am soooooooooooooooo mad at that.
10944&p=57189.jpg10940&p=57185.jpg Lover of all things witchy n spooky 10940&p=57185.jpg10944&p=57189.jpg
Broke my right arm. The cast was almost worse than the break with how much it itched though, and playing a Viola and soccer were both hell for four weeks.

My sister left a three ring binder open on the floor of her room and I stepped on it. That was traumatizing and I have a pretty nasty scar

I got SUPER sunburnt when I was around 12. My face, arms, legs, everything was peeling and red and it hurt to move for two straight weeks. It was summer so my parents let me stay in bed for pretty much the entire time, but I remember almost bursting into tears as I tried to sit up. Sleeping was close to impossible too, as I move a ton in my sleep

This one probably doesn’t count but when I was around seven I was doing a strange push-up/plank thing from the coffee table and couch of my parents house, and I fell and hit my face. My teeth ended up going through the skin right under my lip and I had to get stitches. That was interesting and very, very bloody

I can’t really say any of these were that bad though,, I’ve had it pretty easy. I feel bad for all of y’all with your horror stories
Broke my right arm. The cast was almost worse than the break with how much it itched though, and playing a Viola and soccer were both hell for four weeks.

My sister left a three ring binder open on the floor of her room and I stepped on it. That was traumatizing and I have a pretty nasty scar

I got SUPER sunburnt when I was around 12. My face, arms, legs, everything was peeling and red and it hurt to move for two straight weeks. It was summer so my parents let me stay in bed for pretty much the entire time, but I remember almost bursting into tears as I tried to sit up. Sleeping was close to impossible too, as I move a ton in my sleep

This one probably doesn’t count but when I was around seven I was doing a strange push-up/plank thing from the coffee table and couch of my parents house, and I fell and hit my face. My teeth ended up going through the skin right under my lip and I had to get stitches. That was interesting and very, very bloody

I can’t really say any of these were that bad though,, I’ve had it pretty easy. I feel bad for all of y’all with your horror stories
VGxuHXT.png
Almost exactly last year, I thought it would be a magnificent idea to fall back-first into a swimming pool. No diving. Just back-dropping straight into the pool.
I heard a loud slap as I broke the surface of the water. I promptly felt as if the skin on my back was being torn open. It hurt like hell. The sensation carried on for about 20 minutes.

Don't be like sgerj, kids! Dive responsibly!

edit: thought i might add some honourable mentions:

- breaking my left foot
- breaking my finger after getting a basketball thrown at it
- acne treatment at the local salon
- banging the broken part of my left foot on some furniture
- anything that involves impacting my left foot, actually. i need to get it treated
Almost exactly last year, I thought it would be a magnificent idea to fall back-first into a swimming pool. No diving. Just back-dropping straight into the pool.
I heard a loud slap as I broke the surface of the water. I promptly felt as if the skin on my back was being torn open. It hurt like hell. The sensation carried on for about 20 minutes.

Don't be like sgerj, kids! Dive responsibly!

edit: thought i might add some honourable mentions:

- breaking my left foot
- breaking my finger after getting a basketball thrown at it
- acne treatment at the local salon
- banging the broken part of my left foot on some furniture
- anything that involves impacting my left foot, actually. i need to get it treated
forum signature under construction WOOOHOOO!
Oh I forgot. I get really horrid period cramps my first day and I was out walking and I could feel it coming because of the intense stabbing pain and it was getting dark so I was trying to hurry home but that only made the pain worse. By the time I got home, I was in absolute agony. The pain didnt leave until 3 days later.
Oh I forgot. I get really horrid period cramps my first day and I was out walking and I could feel it coming because of the intense stabbing pain and it was getting dark so I was trying to hurry home but that only made the pain worse. By the time I got home, I was in absolute agony. The pain didnt leave until 3 days later.
9e9feb1cd233d5fc793ec7c6dd43c14e98d311f2.gif
2 years ago I had some unexplained intense lower back pain for like 3 days, probably from driving a different car at the time and sitting weirdly since it was low to the ground (on top of an old ice skating injury where I think I fell on my tailbone, never got it checked out so not sure how bad it was and what long term effects it left me with lmao). The first night I couldn't sleep at all because every way I tried to lay down was pain.

Another was accidentally using contact lens hydrogen peroxide cleaning fluid (you know, the bottle with the red cap that warns you not to put it in your eyes) as normal saline solution because I was half awake in the morning. It felt like my eyes were on fire. Good thing I knew how to flush my eyes from working in labs.
2 years ago I had some unexplained intense lower back pain for like 3 days, probably from driving a different car at the time and sitting weirdly since it was low to the ground (on top of an old ice skating injury where I think I fell on my tailbone, never got it checked out so not sure how bad it was and what long term effects it left me with lmao). The first night I couldn't sleep at all because every way I tried to lay down was pain.

Another was accidentally using contact lens hydrogen peroxide cleaning fluid (you know, the bottle with the red cap that warns you not to put it in your eyes) as normal saline solution because I was half awake in the morning. It felt like my eyes were on fire. Good thing I knew how to flush my eyes from working in labs.
tumblr_nsl2ezQmvD1slad33o1_250.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7