Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [HUB] Xenofiction
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
[quote name="sunnySerina" date="2020-11-27 08:44:43" ] The idea of xenofiction from the perspective of an Earth species on an alien (but necessarily still Earth-like) planet is an intriguing one, but then I worry that it's almost too weird for anyone but geeky kids like I was to be interested in. [/quote] Kinda reminds me of The Last Legends of Earth. I wouldn't call it Xenofiction, but the world is similar.
sunnySerina wrote on 2020-11-27 08:44:43:
The idea of xenofiction from the perspective of an Earth species on an alien (but necessarily still Earth-like) planet is an intriguing one, but then I worry that it's almost too weird for anyone but geeky kids like I was to be interested in.
Kinda reminds me of The Last Legends of Earth. I wouldn't call it Xenofiction, but the world is similar.
My writing project.
Oooooh man, I remember reading the silverwing books as a kid and I absolutely adored guardians of ga'hoole
Oooooh man, I remember reading the silverwing books as a kid and I absolutely adored guardians of ga'hoole
@Xionahri Would the planet in this hypothetical series be terraformed or just naturally Earth-like enough to support Earth animals?
@Xionahri Would the planet in this hypothetical series be terraformed or just naturally Earth-like enough to support Earth animals?
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
Very neat subject for a thread! I know of a few books that fit that don't seem to be on your list yet.
The Books of the Raksura by Martha Wells that start with The Cloud Roads are fantastic. There are multiple sapient species in the fantasy world, but no humans at all. And in one blog interview Wells described the main characters as "flying lizard antlion people" there's a very immersive sense that they aren't human, in how they think, communicate, and their culture.

Julie Czerneda has a science fiction trilogy that starts with Beholder's Eye about a shape shifting alien species that has some excellent viewpoints of various nonhuman species since the main characters current shape has a very strong influence on their outlook and perceptions.
Very neat subject for a thread! I know of a few books that fit that don't seem to be on your list yet.
The Books of the Raksura by Martha Wells that start with The Cloud Roads are fantastic. There are multiple sapient species in the fantasy world, but no humans at all. And in one blog interview Wells described the main characters as "flying lizard antlion people" there's a very immersive sense that they aren't human, in how they think, communicate, and their culture.

Julie Czerneda has a science fiction trilogy that starts with Beholder's Eye about a shape shifting alien species that has some excellent viewpoints of various nonhuman species since the main characters current shape has a very strong influence on their outlook and perceptions.
@PersimmonBird: Oh yes, I loved the first Raksura book! But waited too long to get the sequel so I need to reread the first to remember what happened and what everyone looks like
@PersimmonBird: Oh yes, I loved the first Raksura book! But waited too long to get the sequel so I need to reread the first to remember what happened and what everyone looks like
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
Has anyone heard of I Am A Cat, by Natsume Soseki? It is a Xenofiction novel, and probably one of the oldest examples of the genre.
Has anyone heard of I Am A Cat, by Natsume Soseki? It is a Xenofiction novel, and probably one of the oldest examples of the genre.
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
@SunnySerina

Either may work, but I think a natural earth-like that has had a lot of time for its own evolution has more story potential, since now they'd have to adapt to wildlife completely unknown to them. The same of ourse goes the other wa around, as some prey species likely do not unstand these new predators yet. But there's also finding out which prey is safe to eat in first place.

@PersimmonBird @Requacy

Added!
@SunnySerina

Either may work, but I think a natural earth-like that has had a lot of time for its own evolution has more story potential, since now they'd have to adapt to wildlife completely unknown to them. The same of ourse goes the other wa around, as some prey species likely do not unstand these new predators yet. But there's also finding out which prey is safe to eat in first place.

@PersimmonBird @Requacy

Added!
Alright, question for all the Xenofiction people here: What is your favorite way inhumans view humans?

I personally like, "Humans are Cthulhu/fair folk" and other beings see us as really weird and freaky. Alternatively, I enjoy the idea that we are seen as funky, but entertaining dudes. I find "Humans are below us superior creatures" too overdone, personally. I like things to be more creative, although I do enjoy some Xenofiction stories with that viewpoint.
Alright, question for all the Xenofiction people here: What is your favorite way inhumans view humans?

I personally like, "Humans are Cthulhu/fair folk" and other beings see us as really weird and freaky. Alternatively, I enjoy the idea that we are seen as funky, but entertaining dudes. I find "Humans are below us superior creatures" too overdone, personally. I like things to be more creative, although I do enjoy some Xenofiction stories with that viewpoint.
@Requacy

Depends on the type. For non-sapient animals, I second humans being incomprehensible.
I frequently think about what my cats think about me when I or other people do something weird. Just recently my mum called me over because my cats were mildy scared of something my neighbors left in the staircase. That scary thing? A small, yellow balloon. Not even a floating one. Just another proof we do weird things no one else can understand.

For aliens, I prefer them just being fascinated by each other, trying to learn from each other, until they eventually become accustomed to one anothers presence, despite differences. Sure, conflics may happen, but where do they not?
See the Mass Effect triology, for example, where several diffrent races live next to other at relative peace. I love those games.

For fantasy, it is highly dependand on the setting. The one trope I don't like here is the 'humans are normal'. If you want normal humans, them why not go the extra step and make them physiologically anti-magic. That's a fun twist on normality.
@Requacy

Depends on the type. For non-sapient animals, I second humans being incomprehensible.
I frequently think about what my cats think about me when I or other people do something weird. Just recently my mum called me over because my cats were mildy scared of something my neighbors left in the staircase. That scary thing? A small, yellow balloon. Not even a floating one. Just another proof we do weird things no one else can understand.

For aliens, I prefer them just being fascinated by each other, trying to learn from each other, until they eventually become accustomed to one anothers presence, despite differences. Sure, conflics may happen, but where do they not?
See the Mass Effect triology, for example, where several diffrent races live next to other at relative peace. I love those games.

For fantasy, it is highly dependand on the setting. The one trope I don't like here is the 'humans are normal'. If you want normal humans, them why not go the extra step and make them physiologically anti-magic. That's a fun twist on normality.
@Xionahri

Couldn't have worded it better. I'm human but I think I'm a bit baffled by what we do. Could a lion ever understand he was being hunted for sport, to be turned into a rug? Sure, cats sometimes hunt for the heck of it, but could they ever understand the idea of trophies? We really are strange, incomprehensible creatures. Wh needs Cthulhu when we have us.

Please, if you don't know about it already, check out myrmecomorphy. It is really interesting. What if the reason so many aliens/fantasy creatures/etc. disguise themselves as humans is because we are the megafaunal equivalent of ants? Something that lives in groups that is considering too risky to eat (for we are ether too aggressive or taste bad).

Agreed. We have so many stories about aliens or humans being irredeemable jerks. Why can't we jus learn to become better? Whenever I write difference-caused conflicts between sapient species, I always try to show there is peace possible. Humans, and other creatures, are flawed, but we can adapt and learn. If we just try, we can make this world (or galaxy) a bit better.

The idea that humans are physiologically anti-magic sounds really interesting. Normality could be, in a way, our superpower. Perhaps magic is even radioactive or dangerous, and, while we haven't adapted to wielding it, we are better at resisting its damage. Sad to say I haven't seen a piece of fiction do that yet, although there have been some close ones. Too many stories make science "anti-magic", and I'd like to see different things be anti-magic for once.
@Xionahri

Couldn't have worded it better. I'm human but I think I'm a bit baffled by what we do. Could a lion ever understand he was being hunted for sport, to be turned into a rug? Sure, cats sometimes hunt for the heck of it, but could they ever understand the idea of trophies? We really are strange, incomprehensible creatures. Wh needs Cthulhu when we have us.

Please, if you don't know about it already, check out myrmecomorphy. It is really interesting. What if the reason so many aliens/fantasy creatures/etc. disguise themselves as humans is because we are the megafaunal equivalent of ants? Something that lives in groups that is considering too risky to eat (for we are ether too aggressive or taste bad).

Agreed. We have so many stories about aliens or humans being irredeemable jerks. Why can't we jus learn to become better? Whenever I write difference-caused conflicts between sapient species, I always try to show there is peace possible. Humans, and other creatures, are flawed, but we can adapt and learn. If we just try, we can make this world (or galaxy) a bit better.

The idea that humans are physiologically anti-magic sounds really interesting. Normality could be, in a way, our superpower. Perhaps magic is even radioactive or dangerous, and, while we haven't adapted to wielding it, we are better at resisting its damage. Sad to say I haven't seen a piece of fiction do that yet, although there have been some close ones. Too many stories make science "anti-magic", and I'd like to see different things be anti-magic for once.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16