Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Mythos Share
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I don't have a story but I thought I'd share this youtube channel for all my fellow myth lovers [Link]. Basically the channel is two youtubers who break down stories, many of them myths from all over, into fun, short videos with cute art.

I linked their miscellaneous myths playlist, but they also have a ton of history and literature related videos that are fun to watch too~
I don't have a story but I thought I'd share this youtube channel for all my fellow myth lovers [Link]. Basically the channel is two youtubers who break down stories, many of them myths from all over, into fun, short videos with cute art.

I linked their miscellaneous myths playlist, but they also have a ton of history and literature related videos that are fun to watch too~
vbbxBX.png9QNbhfp.png
@BeckAlistiere [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/741835709228515441/780870436576952320/Screen_Shot_2019-11-25_at_10.28.15_AM.jpg[/img] That's one of my favorite youtube channels
@BeckAlistiere Screen_Shot_2019-11-25_at_10.28.15_AM.jpg

That's one of my favorite youtube channels
image0.pngl3LmnyE.giftumblr_pelod6tOrq1tv56zio8_100-removebg-preview.pngXB8NBmR.pngserperior.giftp1eAiM.png
Ooh, love some mythology! Here's a classic Jewish tale!

Long ago (around 1600) in the city of Prague there was a Rabbi, Loew, who created a large creature called a golem from clay. It was animated through the name of God (Shem) written on its head and created to protect the ghetto from the anti-Semitic rulers of the city. Every Sabbath (Saturday) the Rabbi erased the Shem from the golem, turning it off and allowing it to rest until the Sunday, but one day he forgot (although some tales tell of the golem falling in love and getting rejected instead). The golem went crazy, destroying property and desecrating the Sabbath, so the golem was deactivated and put away for good. It was stored in the attic of the local Old New Synagogue, where stories say it still rests there to this day.
Ooh, love some mythology! Here's a classic Jewish tale!

Long ago (around 1600) in the city of Prague there was a Rabbi, Loew, who created a large creature called a golem from clay. It was animated through the name of God (Shem) written on its head and created to protect the ghetto from the anti-Semitic rulers of the city. Every Sabbath (Saturday) the Rabbi erased the Shem from the golem, turning it off and allowing it to rest until the Sunday, but one day he forgot (although some tales tell of the golem falling in love and getting rejected instead). The golem went crazy, destroying property and desecrating the Sabbath, so the golem was deactivated and put away for good. It was stored in the attic of the local Old New Synagogue, where stories say it still rests there to this day.
Lovely, lovely holidays...
Come check out my art shop! Lemme draw ur dergs!
Check out my Holiday Hatchery!
My wishlist!

We were here. Qboauiw.png
acecatcher.png
@Timeshadow012 that is probably one of the first Jewish stories I've ever heard! What a ride too, sending a gift!
@Timeshadow012 that is probably one of the first Jewish stories I've ever heard! What a ride too, sending a gift!
image0.pngl3LmnyE.giftumblr_pelod6tOrq1tv56zio8_100-removebg-preview.pngXB8NBmR.pngserperior.giftp1eAiM.png

This is one of my favorites!

Leutogi, a Samoan princess, was to be married to the king of Tonga. There, on his island, she found a baby bat that was injured, so she nursed it to health, but she was ridiculed for it.

Then when Leutogi’s husband the king fell into misfortune, they pinned the blame on her, and said she was a witch, so they tried to burn her, but a thousand bats flew above her and (using their urine) put out the fires.

She was then exiled to an island full of nothing, and while everyone expected her to die of starvation, the bats brought her food to eat, and kept her company. Eventually, the once barren island became lush again!

Leutogi is now known as the goddess of bats!

Not sure how effective bat pee would be at putting out fires, but it’s interesting right!

This is one of my favorites!

Leutogi, a Samoan princess, was to be married to the king of Tonga. There, on his island, she found a baby bat that was injured, so she nursed it to health, but she was ridiculed for it.

Then when Leutogi’s husband the king fell into misfortune, they pinned the blame on her, and said she was a witch, so they tried to burn her, but a thousand bats flew above her and (using their urine) put out the fires.

She was then exiled to an island full of nothing, and while everyone expected her to die of starvation, the bats brought her food to eat, and kept her company. Eventually, the once barren island became lush again!

Leutogi is now known as the goddess of bats!

Not sure how effective bat pee would be at putting out fires, but it’s interesting right!
15295.png
+ Pacific Time | Neutral Evil | Artist Kinda +
rtbhGZ5_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium.png
39072.png q7KYqlT.png
Here’s an interesting creation myth from the Kono people of Guinea, which is interesting in that the main creation god is actually mostly Death.

A long time ago Death, known as Sa, lived with his wife and daughter alone in the darkness. He decided to improve their lives and made a large ball of mud, where he built a house for his family.

Eventually the god Alatangana came by, and decided to help out by hardening the clay in the planet Earth and adding plants and animals. Sa was grateful, and invited Alatangana into his house. The God stayed for a while before asking for Sa’s daughter’s hand in marriage, but when Sa said no (because he would miss her too much) the pair eloped anyways, without paying the bride-price (a huge deal over there).

Alatangana and his new wife settled in a far corner of the earth, and had 14 kids- 7 boys (3 white and 4 black) and 7 girls (3 white and 4 black). Unfortunately, all the kids spoke different languages and hey couldn’t understand them. When they asked Sa what was up he said it was revenge for eloping with his daughter. Da demanded all children be separated into pairs and spread across the Earth and Alatangana, not wanting to anger him, agreed. (This explains why there are so many different races and people across the world.)

Alatangana figured it was still too dark for their children, so he asked Sa for help. Sa gave the rooster an tou-you bird a special song that would call forth the sun until it went to sleep each night, and added the moon and stars for extra light during nighttime.

Eventually Sa sat down with Alatangana. He told him that because he had not paid the bride price, he would be able to take one of their children whenever it pleases him. The children would hear the rattling of a gourd in their dreams, and that’s how they would know Death would come calling.
Here’s an interesting creation myth from the Kono people of Guinea, which is interesting in that the main creation god is actually mostly Death.

A long time ago Death, known as Sa, lived with his wife and daughter alone in the darkness. He decided to improve their lives and made a large ball of mud, where he built a house for his family.

Eventually the god Alatangana came by, and decided to help out by hardening the clay in the planet Earth and adding plants and animals. Sa was grateful, and invited Alatangana into his house. The God stayed for a while before asking for Sa’s daughter’s hand in marriage, but when Sa said no (because he would miss her too much) the pair eloped anyways, without paying the bride-price (a huge deal over there).

Alatangana and his new wife settled in a far corner of the earth, and had 14 kids- 7 boys (3 white and 4 black) and 7 girls (3 white and 4 black). Unfortunately, all the kids spoke different languages and hey couldn’t understand them. When they asked Sa what was up he said it was revenge for eloping with his daughter. Da demanded all children be separated into pairs and spread across the Earth and Alatangana, not wanting to anger him, agreed. (This explains why there are so many different races and people across the world.)

Alatangana figured it was still too dark for their children, so he asked Sa for help. Sa gave the rooster an tou-you bird a special song that would call forth the sun until it went to sleep each night, and added the moon and stars for extra light during nighttime.

Eventually Sa sat down with Alatangana. He told him that because he had not paid the bride price, he would be able to take one of their children whenever it pleases him. The children would hear the rattling of a gourd in their dreams, and that’s how they would know Death would come calling.
Lovely, lovely holidays...
Come check out my art shop! Lemme draw ur dergs!
Check out my Holiday Hatchery!
My wishlist!

We were here. Qboauiw.png
acecatcher.png
@Alepha That was probably one of the most out of the box stories ever. Holy crap.

@Timeshadow012 OKay, you have me properly invested now. PLEASE tell me there is more to this tale.
@Alepha That was probably one of the most out of the box stories ever. Holy crap.

@Timeshadow012 OKay, you have me properly invested now. PLEASE tell me there is more to this tale.
In Aztec beliefs, when someone died of natural causes they were sent to Mictlan, a dark and dense section of the underworld filled with obstacles that the dead must overcome in order to resurface. I'll only be focusing on Mictlan this time because there were different kingdoms of the underworld depending on cause of death; one for those who died in battle or as sacrifices, one for women who died during childbirth, and one for the children and drowned.

Mictlan consists of nine levels or stages.

1. Apanohuaia or Itzcuintlan
The dead must cross a river, its black waters a symbol of human passions. In order to do this they must be helped by Xólotl (dogs); specifically the ones that were sacrificed by their living family in order to aid in this part. This is why it was common for the dead to be buried with dog bones.

2. Tepectli Monamictlan
The souls must cross between two hills that are constantly crashing against each other. This is where they must leave behind all their clothing.

3. Izteecayan
A razor wind blows and rips their bodies to shreds.

4. Iztepetl
They must cross eight obsidian hills, all while being eternally attacked by the snow.

5. Paniecatayocan
Where their bodies float like flags in the wind. It's said this place was located at the foot of Iztehecayan, where the dead would lose gravity and be at the mercy of the winds, which dragged them endlessly until they were finally released.

6. Timiminalaloayan
Here they must endure a rain of arrows. There was a dense path whose sides were lined with invisible hands that sent the arrows to pelt the dead.

7. Teocoyocualloa
Jaguars and wild beasts cracked open their chests and ate their hearts.

8. Izmictlan Apochcalolca
They must traverse a path full of mist and boulders. At the end, they finally rest and their tonali (soul) is separated from their body (or what's left of it anyway).

9. Chicunamictlan
The last step is to cross the nine waters of Chiconauhhapan. Once completed, they were devoured by the gods Mictlantecuhtli and Mictecacihuatl, thereby becoming one with the universe and being liberated completely.

The Aztecs celebrated death like no others. They had several celebrations dedicated to it each year. That is, until the Spanish colonized, prohibited the practice of any aspect of their culture—be it language, traditions, or other— and imposed Catholicism. They literally built their churches on top of Aztec temples, as a symbol. You can see the ruins of one pyramid below the glass floor of a cathedral in Mexico City; I forget what it's called. So this aspect of Aztec tradition was subdued and transformed by the things that were forced onto them.

That's how Día de Muertos was born! A mix of both Aztec and Spanish traditions, as many aspects of Mexican culture are. We're a big soup of various ethnicities and cultures, and this is no different. I summarized this a lot, feel free to do your own research. It's really interesting and most people don't know much about it. Hey, we even have a dragon breed based on an Aztec god! (Quetzalcoatl, the plumed snake). Thanks for reading! <3
In Aztec beliefs, when someone died of natural causes they were sent to Mictlan, a dark and dense section of the underworld filled with obstacles that the dead must overcome in order to resurface. I'll only be focusing on Mictlan this time because there were different kingdoms of the underworld depending on cause of death; one for those who died in battle or as sacrifices, one for women who died during childbirth, and one for the children and drowned.

Mictlan consists of nine levels or stages.

1. Apanohuaia or Itzcuintlan
The dead must cross a river, its black waters a symbol of human passions. In order to do this they must be helped by Xólotl (dogs); specifically the ones that were sacrificed by their living family in order to aid in this part. This is why it was common for the dead to be buried with dog bones.

2. Tepectli Monamictlan
The souls must cross between two hills that are constantly crashing against each other. This is where they must leave behind all their clothing.

3. Izteecayan
A razor wind blows and rips their bodies to shreds.

4. Iztepetl
They must cross eight obsidian hills, all while being eternally attacked by the snow.

5. Paniecatayocan
Where their bodies float like flags in the wind. It's said this place was located at the foot of Iztehecayan, where the dead would lose gravity and be at the mercy of the winds, which dragged them endlessly until they were finally released.

6. Timiminalaloayan
Here they must endure a rain of arrows. There was a dense path whose sides were lined with invisible hands that sent the arrows to pelt the dead.

7. Teocoyocualloa
Jaguars and wild beasts cracked open their chests and ate their hearts.

8. Izmictlan Apochcalolca
They must traverse a path full of mist and boulders. At the end, they finally rest and their tonali (soul) is separated from their body (or what's left of it anyway).

9. Chicunamictlan
The last step is to cross the nine waters of Chiconauhhapan. Once completed, they were devoured by the gods Mictlantecuhtli and Mictecacihuatl, thereby becoming one with the universe and being liberated completely.

The Aztecs celebrated death like no others. They had several celebrations dedicated to it each year. That is, until the Spanish colonized, prohibited the practice of any aspect of their culture—be it language, traditions, or other— and imposed Catholicism. They literally built their churches on top of Aztec temples, as a symbol. You can see the ruins of one pyramid below the glass floor of a cathedral in Mexico City; I forget what it's called. So this aspect of Aztec tradition was subdued and transformed by the things that were forced onto them.

That's how Día de Muertos was born! A mix of both Aztec and Spanish traditions, as many aspects of Mexican culture are. We're a big soup of various ethnicities and cultures, and this is no different. I summarized this a lot, feel free to do your own research. It's really interesting and most people don't know much about it. Hey, we even have a dragon breed based on an Aztec god! (Quetzalcoatl, the plumed snake). Thanks for reading! <3
@calabazitos [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/741835709228515441/782990142901714984/Screen_Shot_2020-11-30_at_9.22.21_AM.png[/img] WAIT COME BACK
@calabazitos
Screen_Shot_2020-11-30_at_9.22.21_AM.png

WAIT COME BACK
@Ambivalence no wait i have a math exam HAHAHA
@Ambivalence no wait i have a math exam HAHAHA
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9