Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Mythos Share
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
@Ambivalence What can I say, I live for angst
@Ambivalence What can I say, I live for angst
wpEE9mo.png 6IcEXCU.png
@GrecianUrn hhhhhhhhhhhhhh
@GrecianUrn hhhhhhhhhhhhhh
image0.pngl3LmnyE.giftumblr_pelod6tOrq1tv56zio8_100-removebg-preview.pngXB8NBmR.pngserperior.giftp1eAiM.png
Woo, I'm back. Hello. Okay. So since my last post was rather Christian, which is no surprise since I'm living in a mainly Catholic country, I thought I'd provide a little something from before Christianity was a thing here. The (celtic) god people believed in before was Latobius (alternatively Latovius). He was a god for healing, shepherds and death and is depicted with a shepherd's crook (mostly on mountains). Unfortunately, there's not a lot known about it, or at least I don't really know about it. There is a reason for it - as you might know, the ancient Romans accepted many gods as their own when taking over areas to avoid conflict, Latobius being one of them. He was then called Mars Latobius, regarded like the traditional Roman god Mars (which they also took from Greek culture -
Ares - haha).
Now that I look at it... that's again not really a myth aaaah
Woo, I'm back. Hello. Okay. So since my last post was rather Christian, which is no surprise since I'm living in a mainly Catholic country, I thought I'd provide a little something from before Christianity was a thing here. The (celtic) god people believed in before was Latobius (alternatively Latovius). He was a god for healing, shepherds and death and is depicted with a shepherd's crook (mostly on mountains). Unfortunately, there's not a lot known about it, or at least I don't really know about it. There is a reason for it - as you might know, the ancient Romans accepted many gods as their own when taking over areas to avoid conflict, Latobius being one of them. He was then called Mars Latobius, regarded like the traditional Roman god Mars (which they also took from Greek culture -
Ares - haha).
Now that I look at it... that's again not really a myth aaaah
P(I have enough dragons)=1/9999999999999999999999999999^9999999
It's a bad obsession, it's always messing, it's always messing my lair
News about my dragons
@ComfortZone that's still some interesting history!!
@ComfortZone that's still some interesting history!!
image0.pngl3LmnyE.giftumblr_pelod6tOrq1tv56zio8_100-removebg-preview.pngXB8NBmR.pngserperior.giftp1eAiM.png
Not sure if this counts as a myth, as it is not a myth, BUT it is a myth in Pokemon!
Its not really my favorite either, but i cant think of any rn other than the super ob ones like medusa or that guy with the harp haha. Here i goes, anyway:

One day a strange object fell down onto a bamboo grove, that looked like a bamboo shoot and had an infants face. An old couple found it, and took care of it, naming it Celeste. Along the line though, the bamboos around the tiny alien shoot started to wither, and the village got mad. They tried to attack Celeste, and but the old couple defended it. As they were defending Celeste from the village though, it grew rockets at the bottom, and flew up, straight to the moon!

This was considered a fairy tale, or legend in Alola, which was revealed in the episode where they dealt with Celesteela, who they gang thinks the legend was based off of. interestingly enough, Celesteela herself was ALSO based of a Japanese myth, which was real!

Its thought this ultra beast was based off Princess Kaguya from The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, which i don't think there's much point of writing the entirety up on here, so instead ill just link you the story, i don't wanna plagiarize after all!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_the_Bamboo_Cutter

I guess this was kinda 2 myths in one, but i hope you find them fun ^^
Not sure if this counts as a myth, as it is not a myth, BUT it is a myth in Pokemon!
Its not really my favorite either, but i cant think of any rn other than the super ob ones like medusa or that guy with the harp haha. Here i goes, anyway:

One day a strange object fell down onto a bamboo grove, that looked like a bamboo shoot and had an infants face. An old couple found it, and took care of it, naming it Celeste. Along the line though, the bamboos around the tiny alien shoot started to wither, and the village got mad. They tried to attack Celeste, and but the old couple defended it. As they were defending Celeste from the village though, it grew rockets at the bottom, and flew up, straight to the moon!

This was considered a fairy tale, or legend in Alola, which was revealed in the episode where they dealt with Celesteela, who they gang thinks the legend was based off of. interestingly enough, Celesteela herself was ALSO based of a Japanese myth, which was real!

Its thought this ultra beast was based off Princess Kaguya from The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, which i don't think there's much point of writing the entirety up on here, so instead ill just link you the story, i don't wanna plagiarize after all!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_the_Bamboo_Cutter

I guess this was kinda 2 myths in one, but i hope you find them fun ^^
zUvN5QT.png?1.png
@DragonFilms any and all myths are accepted!!! I never heard that pokemon one either, cool lore!
@DragonFilms any and all myths are accepted!!! I never heard that pokemon one either, cool lore!
In Greek and Roman mythology there is the tale of Chloris, goddess of flowers and springtime (Roman: Flora). As the story goes, early one morning Chloris was out walking when she stumbled upon the lifeless body of a woodland nymph. Saddened by the innocent creature’s fate, Chloris decided to breathe life anew, transforming the nymph’s body into a flower.

She called out to Zephyrus, husband and keeper of the west wind, asking him to blow away the clouds in the sky so that Apollo might allow the sun to cast down its warming rays. To this, Aphrodite would add beauty, and Dionysus a nectar of intoxicating aroma… the three Graces further bestowing upon the blossom the gifts of charm, joy, and splendor.

All agreed it was the most spectacular of flowers, truly “The Queen of Flowers.” Aphrodite named the flower Rose, dedicating it to her son, Eros, the god of love. Chloris then called upon Iris and Aurora to spread the word. Iris borrowed a touch of rose’s color, while Aurora painted the morning sky in rose-tinted hues.

Upon being presented the rose by Chloris, Eros would offer it as a bribe to Harpocrates (goddess of silence), hoping to cover up his mother’s recent indiscretions. Thus, roses would also come to be associated with silence and secrecy (Latin: sub rosa meaning ‘under the rose’).

The goddess of love, Aphrodite (Roman: Venus) is the source of this second rose myth. According to the Greek lyric poet Anacreon, the white rose first sprang forth during the birth of Aphrodite. As the legend goes, Ouranus was the father of the sky. Ouranus also really hated his Titan son, Chronos, imprisoning him inside the earth. One evening, when Ouranus went to lay with Gaia, mother of the earth (and Chronos), Chronos seized the opportunity, attacking his father with a sickle crafted by Gaia. In fact, he rather gruesomely severs Ouranus’ genitalia from his body. As his father’s testicles fall into the sea, Aphrodite is born. And as the sea foam around her touches the earth, bushes of white roses appear.

Another myth about Aphrodite that includes roses is this one.
The gods were tired about Aphrodite bragging about her powers, so Zeus made her fall in love with the mortal Adonis, who liked to hunt, in order to show her she was not that powerful and to disgrace her. Aphrodite, fearing for his life, pleaded with Adonis to stop his dangerous sports or he would get hurt. One day, as Adonis was out hunting, he was killed by a wild boar that was Ares in disguise.

Hearing his cries of pain, Aphrodite hastened to his side. She held his lifeless body in her arms and cursed the Fates and Ares. While she was running, her feet were cut by thorns from roses and her blood turned the roses red. The red roses became a memorial of their love.
In Greek and Roman mythology there is the tale of Chloris, goddess of flowers and springtime (Roman: Flora). As the story goes, early one morning Chloris was out walking when she stumbled upon the lifeless body of a woodland nymph. Saddened by the innocent creature’s fate, Chloris decided to breathe life anew, transforming the nymph’s body into a flower.

She called out to Zephyrus, husband and keeper of the west wind, asking him to blow away the clouds in the sky so that Apollo might allow the sun to cast down its warming rays. To this, Aphrodite would add beauty, and Dionysus a nectar of intoxicating aroma… the three Graces further bestowing upon the blossom the gifts of charm, joy, and splendor.

All agreed it was the most spectacular of flowers, truly “The Queen of Flowers.” Aphrodite named the flower Rose, dedicating it to her son, Eros, the god of love. Chloris then called upon Iris and Aurora to spread the word. Iris borrowed a touch of rose’s color, while Aurora painted the morning sky in rose-tinted hues.

Upon being presented the rose by Chloris, Eros would offer it as a bribe to Harpocrates (goddess of silence), hoping to cover up his mother’s recent indiscretions. Thus, roses would also come to be associated with silence and secrecy (Latin: sub rosa meaning ‘under the rose’).

The goddess of love, Aphrodite (Roman: Venus) is the source of this second rose myth. According to the Greek lyric poet Anacreon, the white rose first sprang forth during the birth of Aphrodite. As the legend goes, Ouranus was the father of the sky. Ouranus also really hated his Titan son, Chronos, imprisoning him inside the earth. One evening, when Ouranus went to lay with Gaia, mother of the earth (and Chronos), Chronos seized the opportunity, attacking his father with a sickle crafted by Gaia. In fact, he rather gruesomely severs Ouranus’ genitalia from his body. As his father’s testicles fall into the sea, Aphrodite is born. And as the sea foam around her touches the earth, bushes of white roses appear.

Another myth about Aphrodite that includes roses is this one.
The gods were tired about Aphrodite bragging about her powers, so Zeus made her fall in love with the mortal Adonis, who liked to hunt, in order to show her she was not that powerful and to disgrace her. Aphrodite, fearing for his life, pleaded with Adonis to stop his dangerous sports or he would get hurt. One day, as Adonis was out hunting, he was killed by a wild boar that was Ares in disguise.

Hearing his cries of pain, Aphrodite hastened to his side. She held his lifeless body in her arms and cursed the Fates and Ares. While she was running, her feet were cut by thorns from roses and her blood turned the roses red. The red roses became a memorial of their love.
Tap here:t6LfK.gifeO2Hc.gifGCwXk.gifGxhoY.gif
Novadin.png
img]http://i.imgur.com/407Ohsj.png[/img]In order to fly,you must learn to fall.
@Ambivalence Has anyone written about Coyote the Firebringer?
@Ambivalence Has anyone written about Coyote the Firebringer?
@Sevlyna okay WOAH :o
@Runesniper nope!
@Sevlyna okay WOAH :o
@Runesniper nope!
I haven't read through all the posts here, so I apologize if this has been brought up already.

There's an Irish myth about a queen called Queen Maeve and her raid on Cooley to get a cow. The story goes that Maeve was arguing with her husband Ailill about which of them was wealthier. Her husband had an incredibly valuable white bull, so in order to win the argument Maeve tries to aquire an equally famous brown bull from Cooley.

The owner originally agrees to part with it, but after hearing that Queen Meave wouldn have stolen it if he refused, he backs out of the deal. Naturally, this angers Queen Maeve who sets out with an army to steal the bull. When she arrives all the defending men are crippled by a curse which causes them to feel labor pains because they made a pregnant woman/goddess (not entirely sure which) race a horse.

The only one able to fend off Maeve's army is Cu Chualinn (who is unaffeted by the curse because he's still technically a child), who invoces the right of single combat. After fighting through a big chunk of Maeve's army, he must fight Ferdiad, a man he trained with. The two are very evenly matched, but Cu Chulainn eventually kills him using a nasty barbed spear called a gae bulg.

The men of Ulster have finally recovered from their curse, and they chase off Mave's army. Even though Queen Maeve lost the battle, she returned with the cow. Some versions go on to tell how Maeve's brown bull and her husband's white bull then kill each other, leaving Maeve and Ailill poorer than they had started.
I haven't read through all the posts here, so I apologize if this has been brought up already.

There's an Irish myth about a queen called Queen Maeve and her raid on Cooley to get a cow. The story goes that Maeve was arguing with her husband Ailill about which of them was wealthier. Her husband had an incredibly valuable white bull, so in order to win the argument Maeve tries to aquire an equally famous brown bull from Cooley.

The owner originally agrees to part with it, but after hearing that Queen Meave wouldn have stolen it if he refused, he backs out of the deal. Naturally, this angers Queen Maeve who sets out with an army to steal the bull. When she arrives all the defending men are crippled by a curse which causes them to feel labor pains because they made a pregnant woman/goddess (not entirely sure which) race a horse.

The only one able to fend off Maeve's army is Cu Chualinn (who is unaffeted by the curse because he's still technically a child), who invoces the right of single combat. After fighting through a big chunk of Maeve's army, he must fight Ferdiad, a man he trained with. The two are very evenly matched, but Cu Chulainn eventually kills him using a nasty barbed spear called a gae bulg.

The men of Ulster have finally recovered from their curse, and they chase off Mave's army. Even though Queen Maeve lost the battle, she returned with the cow. Some versions go on to tell how Maeve's brown bull and her husband's white bull then kill each other, leaving Maeve and Ailill poorer than they had started.
pWqZNtj.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9