Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Wasps are good
1 2 3 4 5
@Herico

my fursona
@Herico

my fursona
[quote name="DoctorAlphys" date="2019-02-23 04:27:15" ] [img]https://niezlomni.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/osa-768x560.jpg[/img] Cutieee <3 I wish they didn't get such a bad rap.. people can be so unnecessarily cruel to them, I've seen some horrific things on places like Reddit regarding them that make me sick to my stomach. I won't detail what I've seen and read, but just a casual reminder that even if you don't like wasps or think bees are better or whatever, please remember that they're living beings just like us and don't deserve to suffer, especially not for long periods of time because you think they deserve to. [/quote] I completely agree (but insects don't have enough developed nervous systems to actually feel pain)
DoctorAlphys wrote on 2019-02-23 04:27:15:
osa-768x560.jpg
Cutieee <3

I wish they didn't get such a bad rap.. people can be so unnecessarily cruel to them, I've seen some horrific things on places like Reddit regarding them that make me sick to my stomach.
I won't detail what I've seen and read, but just a casual reminder that even if you don't like wasps or think bees are better or whatever, please remember that they're living beings just like us and don't deserve to suffer, especially not for long periods of time because you think they deserve to.
I completely agree (but insects don't have enough developed nervous systems to actually feel pain)
sig-1-new.pngdivider-up.png
-V e r i d i s Q u o-
kovske.gif
Brazil | EN/PT/RUS |time-flight-icon-very-tiny.png

» Fake FR Breed Workshop
»
Wishlist
»PWYW ART SHOP
»Clan Lore WIP
divider-up.png
48517330.png

Synesthetic - Artist - Style flexible
• They/Them - He/Him/It • Prev. Solifugespace
small-hourglass.png
@Saturnia
Hehe, wouldn't you say it was a... Bugsona? Insectsona? Exoskelesona?
@Saturnia
Hehe, wouldn't you say it was a... Bugsona? Insectsona? Exoskelesona?
I'm sorry, but I very much dislike wasps

and I'm also allergic, and had terrible experiences with them

I'm sorry, but I just... can't.

We definitely should respect them and keep our distance, but when they get aggressive, it’s not pretty. Just as long as you don't come at me with one, it's cool. Wasps are fine. Yes, I can handle them when they don't come with a hundred foot radius of me
I'm sorry, but I very much dislike wasps

and I'm also allergic, and had terrible experiences with them

I'm sorry, but I just... can't.

We definitely should respect them and keep our distance, but when they get aggressive, it’s not pretty. Just as long as you don't come at me with one, it's cool. Wasps are fine. Yes, I can handle them when they don't come with a hundred foot radius of me
arcanesparkle.gifBasically Redoing my Clan's Lore- for the third time.arcanesparkle.gif
[quote name="SolifugeSpace" date="2019-02-23 08:25:20" ] [quote name="DoctorAlphys" date="2019-02-23 04:27:15" ] [img]https://niezlomni.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/osa-768x560.jpg[/img] Cutieee <3 I wish they didn't get such a bad rap.. people can be so unnecessarily cruel to them, I've seen some horrific things on places like Reddit regarding them that make me sick to my stomach. I won't detail what I've seen and read, but just a casual reminder that even if you don't like wasps or think bees are better or whatever, please remember that they're living beings just like us and don't deserve to suffer, especially not for long periods of time because you think they deserve to. [/quote] I completely agree (but insects don't have enough developed nervous systems to actually feel pain) [/quote] Yes, finally someone who understands. Support the wasps. They are friends. They actually hardly ever sting without reason. They're wasps not frekin hornets.
SolifugeSpace wrote on 2019-02-23 08:25:20:
DoctorAlphys wrote on 2019-02-23 04:27:15:
osa-768x560.jpg
Cutieee <3

I wish they didn't get such a bad rap.. people can be so unnecessarily cruel to them, I've seen some horrific things on places like Reddit regarding them that make me sick to my stomach.
I won't detail what I've seen and read, but just a casual reminder that even if you don't like wasps or think bees are better or whatever, please remember that they're living beings just like us and don't deserve to suffer, especially not for long periods of time because you think they deserve to.
I completely agree (but insects don't have enough developed nervous systems to actually feel pain)
Yes, finally someone who understands. Support the wasps. They are friends. They actually hardly ever sting without reason. They're wasps not frekin hornets.
4xd1oW3.png
@Herico Exoskeletona is so good... I gotta draw
@Herico Exoskeletona is so good... I gotta draw

When I was young'un I used to have specific path from school to my house. One late autumn (what I didn't at that time know were) hornets had started nesting near that path. I'd occasionally 'pick' them up? More like... invite them to climb on my hand. I never once got stung and I used to pick up as many as I could... I was 10 then, I think I got my first wasp sting when I was 16, any wasp sting I've received was accidental or because I've tried to swat them away. I learned their behavior with time, Vespidae is definitely a rather fascinating, misunderstood and underrated family.

When I was young'un I used to have specific path from school to my house. One late autumn (what I didn't at that time know were) hornets had started nesting near that path. I'd occasionally 'pick' them up? More like... invite them to climb on my hand. I never once got stung and I used to pick up as many as I could... I was 10 then, I think I got my first wasp sting when I was 16, any wasp sting I've received was accidental or because I've tried to swat them away. I learned their behavior with time, Vespidae is definitely a rather fascinating, misunderstood and underrated family.
[color=green]Wasps are beautiful, precious, innocent creatures that are a valuable part of the ecosystem and I am so tired of trying to convince people that they aren't evil. How could a simple insect be malevolent? Hell, if there's any ecological imbalance related to them, it's not [i]because[/i] of them - they evolved to fill a niche and nature balances itself out if the population of any niche gets too large. The only animal out there that doesn't follow that rule... is humans. If there's something up with the environment and the bee populations are too low, it's not because the wasps are killing bees, it's because the [i]humans[/i] are killing bees. Also. A wasp following you isn't a sign of aggression. It's curiosity. If you don't want them to do that, wear dull coloured clothes and don't use any floral/fruity products. That way they won't mistake you for a nice flowerbed or tasty fruit, yeah? Wasps have varied diets and actually fill a variety of different niches depending on the species! Some only eat plant matter, for example. Some prefer to scavenge. Actively predatory wasps are important in controlling the populations of many pest species, eating maggots and caterpillars. They fill many important ecological roles. Even if you think they're ugly or scary, at least respect them as a natural, integral part of the ecosystem. Also... [quote name="@SolifugeSpace" date="2019-02-23 08:25:20" ] I completely agree (but insects don't have enough developed nervous systems to actually feel pain) [/quote] [color=green]It is [url=https://blog.oup.com/2011/11/bug-pain/]most likely that insects [b]do[/b] feel pain[/url] in some way, so please keep that in mind if you decide to kill them. At least make it quick. Edit: suffice to say the same goes for all types of wasp, including hornets (which actually tend to be [i]less[/i] aggressive than other wasp species).
Wasps are beautiful, precious, innocent creatures that are a valuable part of the ecosystem and I am so tired of trying to convince people that they aren't evil. How could a simple insect be malevolent?

Hell, if there's any ecological imbalance related to them, it's not because of them - they evolved to fill a niche and nature balances itself out if the population of any niche gets too large. The only animal out there that doesn't follow that rule... is humans. If there's something up with the environment and the bee populations are too low, it's not because the wasps are killing bees, it's because the humans are killing bees.

Also. A wasp following you isn't a sign of aggression. It's curiosity. If you don't want them to do that, wear dull coloured clothes and don't use any floral/fruity products. That way they won't mistake you for a nice flowerbed or tasty fruit, yeah?

Wasps have varied diets and actually fill a variety of different niches depending on the species! Some only eat plant matter, for example. Some prefer to scavenge. Actively predatory wasps are important in controlling the populations of many pest species, eating maggots and caterpillars. They fill many important ecological roles. Even if you think they're ugly or scary, at least respect them as a natural, integral part of the ecosystem.

Also...

@SolifugeSpace wrote on 2019-02-23 08:25:20:

It is most likely that insects do feel pain in some way, so please keep that in mind if you decide to kill them. At least make it quick.

Edit: suffice to say the same goes for all types of wasp, including hornets (which actually tend to be less aggressive than other wasp species).
update guys [img]https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--llVxst7u--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/uk4rkhixr93cfcepuoha.jpg[/img] im going to sob i?? [quote name="Oranitha" date="2019-02-22 22:59:02" ] who could see and NOT immediately love cuckoo wasps? [/quote]
update guys
uk4rkhixr93cfcepuoha.jpg
im going to sob i??
Oranitha wrote on 2019-02-22 22:59:02:
who could see and NOT immediately love cuckoo wasps?
giphy.gif
How.....
I don’t......
Why
W H Y

@Herico
Have you ever been stung by a wasp??? You must have nerves of steel
How.....
I don’t......
Why
W H Y

@Herico