Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [HUB] Aquatics Hobbyists & Fishkeepers!
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
I have four (Sorta 5) daffodil cichlids, a breeding pair and their three babies (the 5th is a half-sibling to the others). I should really come up with names for them, any suggestions?

Also a smaller tank with a goldfish, some tetras and something else, but I forget what they're called.
I have four (Sorta 5) daffodil cichlids, a breeding pair and their three babies (the 5th is a half-sibling to the others). I should really come up with names for them, any suggestions?

Also a smaller tank with a goldfish, some tetras and something else, but I forget what they're called.
faxrqz.jpg
Okay, so a few things -- we've sold off our giant project tank because we're preparing to downsize for RV Lyfe. We still have a betta tank. But I am rich with animal stories, fish included. My wife is basically a Disney princess. She's worked on ranches with champion dressage horses, she's worked in pet stores, she's local registered small animal rescue, she's run a rattery, I mean-- yeah.

But I still have pics of the old project tank while it was being put together early on!
(x)
(x)
(x)
(x)
(x)
(x)
Wouldn't let me image link from facebook but links to the pics work apparently.

I'm trying to find pictures of the blue crawfish but alas.

I could keep going with glamor shots of fish but this is already long as heck so that'll do. The beta tank is pretty standard. Nothing to write home about. Has some friends that deal in Betta breeding though.

So anyway let me tell you the tale about the Blue Botia Loach at Pet Supplies Plus.

The place had a three filtration tank system. One day blue botia shipments come in... one gets sucked into the filtration system and she's like, oops. Oh well, rest in peace little buddy.

Two years later she filtration tanks, which are generally self-managing things in its wash cycles, and left alone... start clogging. She goes to open it and there's a two year old Blue Botia Loach just chilling in there. And since they're scavenger types apparently it was just like, surviving on the sediment of ick that was getting pulled through. It was like OH CRAP and ... long story short they had to give it to someone.

There was also the incident when someone mistakenly shipped them smolfish worth about 3500 each... to Pet Supplies Plus. Aint nobody gonna buy 3,500 golden catfish at Pet Supplies Plus. She price marked them down and waited a few weeks, praying -- because those things could get HUUUUUUUUGE. Some guy with a 35,000 gallon tank exhibit in his mansion came in and lost his mind and bought them all as the end result.

So yeah.

I also notice there's talk of terrariums in here. Reptiles (and spiders) were also a huge thing of hers. Right now we have an empty terrarium that was home to a Bahaman Anole that hitchhiked on a Uhaul about 800 miles during the wrong time of year that became a temporary den until we could uh, rehome him to an appropriate climate.

I'll find other pics of things to add to discussion here later probably. If it's any kind of animal, whatsoever, we've probably owned it. So speak my afro chickens, the goat, and the ostrich we're currently discussing getting, so tanked critters are honestly just sort of the daily around here.
Okay, so a few things -- we've sold off our giant project tank because we're preparing to downsize for RV Lyfe. We still have a betta tank. But I am rich with animal stories, fish included. My wife is basically a Disney princess. She's worked on ranches with champion dressage horses, she's worked in pet stores, she's local registered small animal rescue, she's run a rattery, I mean-- yeah.

But I still have pics of the old project tank while it was being put together early on!
(x)
(x)
(x)
(x)
(x)
(x)
Wouldn't let me image link from facebook but links to the pics work apparently.

I'm trying to find pictures of the blue crawfish but alas.

I could keep going with glamor shots of fish but this is already long as heck so that'll do. The beta tank is pretty standard. Nothing to write home about. Has some friends that deal in Betta breeding though.

So anyway let me tell you the tale about the Blue Botia Loach at Pet Supplies Plus.

The place had a three filtration tank system. One day blue botia shipments come in... one gets sucked into the filtration system and she's like, oops. Oh well, rest in peace little buddy.

Two years later she filtration tanks, which are generally self-managing things in its wash cycles, and left alone... start clogging. She goes to open it and there's a two year old Blue Botia Loach just chilling in there. And since they're scavenger types apparently it was just like, surviving on the sediment of ick that was getting pulled through. It was like OH CRAP and ... long story short they had to give it to someone.

There was also the incident when someone mistakenly shipped them smolfish worth about 3500 each... to Pet Supplies Plus. Aint nobody gonna buy 3,500 golden catfish at Pet Supplies Plus. She price marked them down and waited a few weeks, praying -- because those things could get HUUUUUUUUGE. Some guy with a 35,000 gallon tank exhibit in his mansion came in and lost his mind and bought them all as the end result.

So yeah.

I also notice there's talk of terrariums in here. Reptiles (and spiders) were also a huge thing of hers. Right now we have an empty terrarium that was home to a Bahaman Anole that hitchhiked on a Uhaul about 800 miles during the wrong time of year that became a temporary den until we could uh, rehome him to an appropriate climate.

I'll find other pics of things to add to discussion here later probably. If it's any kind of animal, whatsoever, we've probably owned it. So speak my afro chickens, the goat, and the ostrich we're currently discussing getting, so tanked critters are honestly just sort of the daily around here.
f7zL9d1.png
time to stalk general discussion as well as FRD

I've got a 40 gallon tank with 20-25 mollies, hundreds of those small aquatic snails (idk what theyre called since i didnt buy them, they hitchhiked a ride when i bought some of my now-dead plants) and 2-3 ghost shrimp.

Ghost Shrimp Worries Incoming:
I'm not too knowledgeable in terms of ghost shrimp (or in anything really lmao) since I figured they'd be pretty easy to keep anyways but today the largest female shrimp I've had for nearly a year (gotten pretty attached to her <3) just sat there when i checked up on her, then would randomly hyper-swim around the bottom of the tank, then just sit there again. She seemed fine yesterday but she has been turning yellow on the inside for the past 1-2 months (I read that that's supposed to be natural, though?). Ammonia levels are fine as well. IDK I'm a bit worried and maybe she's just getting old or something but like I said, I've gotten pretty attached XD.
Anyone have an idea of what's going on with her?

Funny Story:
all my mollies at this point are relatives of each other because ok so. Two years ago I gave three store bought mollies to my favorite teacher (she had 3 empty tanks in her classroom) and someone else also donated maybe 7-8 mollies to help restore her tanks. We put them in a heavily planted 29 gallon and badabing badaboom a few months later (March-April ish) there were tiny little fry swimming around their tank. Since she had 2 other empty tanks a few students, including me, helped her take them out (must've been like a consistent 30 babies at any given time for a while there o.o).
Since she now had way too many, a bunch of students with established tanks took them home (including me). One year later, the babies I took home grew up as well and THEY start having babies too (some inbreeding there, oof but oh well). I don't even do much to encourage breeding, they just breed and survive on their own (nice). Now those babies are grown up as well. Yepp. That's it. It wasn't that funny. Oh well.
time to stalk general discussion as well as FRD

I've got a 40 gallon tank with 20-25 mollies, hundreds of those small aquatic snails (idk what theyre called since i didnt buy them, they hitchhiked a ride when i bought some of my now-dead plants) and 2-3 ghost shrimp.

Ghost Shrimp Worries Incoming:
I'm not too knowledgeable in terms of ghost shrimp (or in anything really lmao) since I figured they'd be pretty easy to keep anyways but today the largest female shrimp I've had for nearly a year (gotten pretty attached to her <3) just sat there when i checked up on her, then would randomly hyper-swim around the bottom of the tank, then just sit there again. She seemed fine yesterday but she has been turning yellow on the inside for the past 1-2 months (I read that that's supposed to be natural, though?). Ammonia levels are fine as well. IDK I'm a bit worried and maybe she's just getting old or something but like I said, I've gotten pretty attached XD.
Anyone have an idea of what's going on with her?

Funny Story:
all my mollies at this point are relatives of each other because ok so. Two years ago I gave three store bought mollies to my favorite teacher (she had 3 empty tanks in her classroom) and someone else also donated maybe 7-8 mollies to help restore her tanks. We put them in a heavily planted 29 gallon and badabing badaboom a few months later (March-April ish) there were tiny little fry swimming around their tank. Since she had 2 other empty tanks a few students, including me, helped her take them out (must've been like a consistent 30 babies at any given time for a while there o.o).
Since she now had way too many, a bunch of students with established tanks took them home (including me). One year later, the babies I took home grew up as well and THEY start having babies too (some inbreeding there, oof but oh well). I don't even do much to encourage breeding, they just breed and survive on their own (nice). Now those babies are grown up as well. Yepp. That's it. It wasn't that funny. Oh well.
tUjSZIC.png
@Youmeanies

Okay so about the shrimp, first of all, she's just getting old as part of it. Like 1 1/2-2 years is standard life, and by the time you get them from the pet store they're usually adults anyway. The yellowing etc comes from her shell calcifying as she gets older, yes, that's normal. The skittering can be caused by several things: being spooked, trying to impress someone in the cage (like hey I'm still a viable female) or alternately, oxygen levels in the water to aerate herself. Or maybe needing a little more cuz she's getting old. If it's the latter, like, a bubble wand would fix that.
@Youmeanies

Okay so about the shrimp, first of all, she's just getting old as part of it. Like 1 1/2-2 years is standard life, and by the time you get them from the pet store they're usually adults anyway. The yellowing etc comes from her shell calcifying as she gets older, yes, that's normal. The skittering can be caused by several things: being spooked, trying to impress someone in the cage (like hey I'm still a viable female) or alternately, oxygen levels in the water to aerate herself. Or maybe needing a little more cuz she's getting old. If it's the latter, like, a bubble wand would fix that.
f7zL9d1.png
@Experimentural ah phew, thanks! relieved its natural, at least ^^
@Experimentural ah phew, thanks! relieved its natural, at least ^^
tUjSZIC.png
I got a question for all y’all. I got my female betta Rupee a little over two weeks ago, and she’s settling in nicely. She’s only an inch and a half long or so, so she’ll grow a bit more I hypothesise. I made an earlier post, but just in case, she’s in a 5.5 gallon heated and filtered tank. [img]https://i.imgur.com/ITsN9J3.jpg[/img] And here’s the beauty herself: [img]https://i.imgur.com/0vDcg9E.jpg[/img] The only living things in the tank right now are herself, a marimo ball, and the beneficial bacteria. Thing is... I sort of wanted to get another fish.[b] Don’t worry, I’m not getting another betta! [/b]I know people tend to warn against getting tank mates for bettas in smaller settings, but I’ve only ever found people talking about male bettas. Rupee herself seems to be a quite mellow individual. She’s never flared at me even when I wear colourful clothes or when colourful objects are placed near her tank. TL;DR: I want to get a bottom feeder fish for my 5.5 gallon betta tank but I don’t know if that would be a good idea. [size=2]@Clutch feel free to add me to the pinglist too[/size]
I got a question for all y’all.

I got my female betta Rupee a little over two weeks ago, and she’s settling in nicely. She’s only an inch and a half long or so, so she’ll grow a bit more I hypothesise. I made an earlier post, but just in case, she’s in a 5.5 gallon heated and filtered tank.

ITsN9J3.jpg

And here’s the beauty herself:

0vDcg9E.jpg

The only living things in the tank right now are herself, a marimo ball, and the beneficial bacteria. Thing is... I sort of wanted to get another fish. Don’t worry, I’m not getting another betta! I know people tend to warn against getting tank mates for bettas in smaller settings, but I’ve only ever found people talking about male bettas.

Rupee herself seems to be a quite mellow individual. She’s never flared at me even when I wear colourful clothes or when colourful objects are placed near her tank.

TL;DR: I want to get a bottom feeder fish for my 5.5 gallon betta tank but I don’t know if that would be a good idea.

@Clutch feel free to add me to the pinglist too
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
@RabidWhovian
Most bottom feeder fish that can live with bettas need large tanks (20g+). I'd suggest going with nerite snails (1-2).
@RabidWhovian
Most bottom feeder fish that can live with bettas need large tanks (20g+). I'd suggest going with nerite snails (1-2).
Waystone1.gif
@StarGlade Okay yeah, that’s what I’ve been reading. I’d love to own a bottom feeder but I’d rather it be in an appropriate habitat first. I’ll look into those snails.
@StarGlade Okay yeah, that’s what I’ve been reading. I’d love to own a bottom feeder but I’d rather it be in an appropriate habitat first. I’ll look into those snails.
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
Hello! I have a question! I'm getting a couple of axolotls in a couple days in an emergency re-home, and I have plans to completely re-vamp their tank (including buying a whole new tank). Does anyone have any suggestions for plants that might work in such a tank? (i.e. low light and cold water). I'm very excited.
Hello! I have a question! I'm getting a couple of axolotls in a couple days in an emergency re-home, and I have plans to completely re-vamp their tank (including buying a whole new tank). Does anyone have any suggestions for plants that might work in such a tank? (i.e. low light and cold water). I'm very excited.
Quote:
Anubias Nana - great plant, virtually indestructible, hardy and low maintenance.
Anubias Isabelle - very tough, taller than the Nana.
Anubias Barteri - just like the Nana, but a bit bigger and with rounder leaves.
Java Fern - one of the toughest aquatic plants you can get - grows anywhere!
Java Moss - grows anywhere as well, can be made into a sort-of "carpet"
Lilaeopsis - this is like grass, you can make a beautiful lawn in your tank with it.
Eleocharis (Hairgrass) - same as with Lilaeopsis tends to be a bit taller though.
Pongol - this is actually Mondo Grass, so it's not a true aquatic but survives (doesn't grow, just survives) for ages submerged, not really recommended.
Congensis - quite striking for a centrepiece plant.
Riccia - Riccia generally needs a lot of light to grow properly, thus only suitable for brighter tanks.
Narrow Chain Sword - another grassy-type thing. Looks pretty, grows happily.
I'm quoting a user (Shizeric) off Caudata. Though most tanks I've seen with axolotls usually don't have plants, so I'm excited to hear about which plants you choose! Just make sure to properly quarantine plants before introducing them to your axolotls to avoid snails.
@nazmiye
Quote:
Anubias Nana - great plant, virtually indestructible, hardy and low maintenance.
Anubias Isabelle - very tough, taller than the Nana.
Anubias Barteri - just like the Nana, but a bit bigger and with rounder leaves.
Java Fern - one of the toughest aquatic plants you can get - grows anywhere!
Java Moss - grows anywhere as well, can be made into a sort-of "carpet"
Lilaeopsis - this is like grass, you can make a beautiful lawn in your tank with it.
Eleocharis (Hairgrass) - same as with Lilaeopsis tends to be a bit taller though.
Pongol - this is actually Mondo Grass, so it's not a true aquatic but survives (doesn't grow, just survives) for ages submerged, not really recommended.
Congensis - quite striking for a centrepiece plant.
Riccia - Riccia generally needs a lot of light to grow properly, thus only suitable for brighter tanks.
Narrow Chain Sword - another grassy-type thing. Looks pretty, grows happily.
I'm quoting a user (Shizeric) off Caudata. Though most tanks I've seen with axolotls usually don't have plants, so I'm excited to hear about which plants you choose! Just make sure to properly quarantine plants before introducing them to your axolotls to avoid snails.
@nazmiye
Waystone1.gif
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21