Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Anyone here into plants?
1 2 3 4 5
@SakuOpal - Marimo balls? Sweet! I've been wanting one for a while. Do you know if they can be kept in something besides an aquarium? I might keep one in a jar, if so. ^-^

Anubias? Those are super cool - back when I had a forty gallon, my dad and I considered getting some. We didn't; we ended up getting some pretty silk plants. But if I ever get another aquarium, I do plan to add anubias as a plant. c:
@SakuOpal - Marimo balls? Sweet! I've been wanting one for a while. Do you know if they can be kept in something besides an aquarium? I might keep one in a jar, if so. ^-^

Anubias? Those are super cool - back when I had a forty gallon, my dad and I considered getting some. We didn't; we ended up getting some pretty silk plants. But if I ever get another aquarium, I do plan to add anubias as a plant. c:
1391_350px_rainforest_by_miirshroom-dbvjs1a.png
@Lonin - A terrarium? How's that going? ^^ I dearly wish for a pilea, as well as a fittonia. Both are high on my plant wishlist! =D How're pileas and fittonias to care for? Are they picky?

Ooh, sweet! ^^ Plant and aquarium keeping can indeed become addicting! xD
@Lonin - A terrarium? How's that going? ^^ I dearly wish for a pilea, as well as a fittonia. Both are high on my plant wishlist! =D How're pileas and fittonias to care for? Are they picky?

Ooh, sweet! ^^ Plant and aquarium keeping can indeed become addicting! xD
@Charoula - I have tomatoes! ^^ (And basil.) I had an aloe, but it died... :c Do you grow your plants outdoors? Sometimes my mom grows herbs inside.. good luck with your aloe, too, by the way! c:
@Charoula - I have tomatoes! ^^ (And basil.) I had an aloe, but it died... :c Do you grow your plants outdoors? Sometimes my mom grows herbs inside.. good luck with your aloe, too, by the way! c:
@PiecesOSky - Sweet! A bonsai?! How's that doing? I'm hoping to get a bonsai soon - do you have any type you'd recommend? I considered a redwood bonsai for a while, but I decided not to. I'd love to see photos of your bonsai, maybe! ^^

Good luck with your herbs / tomatoes! Those are fantastic choices to grow. c:
@PiecesOSky - Sweet! A bonsai?! How's that doing? I'm hoping to get a bonsai soon - do you have any type you'd recommend? I considered a redwood bonsai for a while, but I decided not to. I'd love to see photos of your bonsai, maybe! ^^

Good luck with your herbs / tomatoes! Those are fantastic choices to grow. c:
@Schatzi - It's gonna be a long list.. ahaha...

Pothos: Peanut Butter, Jelly
Thanksgiving cacti: Joy, Khione, Lady Guinevere, Beanie
Spider plants: Charlotte, Cheyenne, Chevy
Umbrella plants: Parasol, Canopy, Awning
Kalanchoe: Faun
Snake plant: Athena
Polka dot plant: Nymph
Jade: E.N
Succulents I forgot name of: Harmony (the other one needs a name)
A plant my grandma gave me but I forget what it's called: Gwendolyn

My basil, coleus, coleus cutting, ivy, sweet potato vine, oxalis, wandering Jew, and bird's nest fern all need names still.. if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them! =D

My basil, coleus, coleus cutting, ivy, sweet potato vine, oxalis, wandering Jew, and bird's nest fern all need names still.. if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them! =D
It’s doing great! Well, by that I mean it’s healthy. It’s nowhere near the quality you’d see at a show or garden or something. it doesn’t really fit all the aesthetic standards yet because i’m Still teaching myself. The leaves are far too big and the branch structure is underdeveloped, and it’s got tape and wire all over it so the trunk can fuse, lol. But it’s getting there. When I say i’m Proud of it, I mean i’m Proud of the progress it’s made from when I bought it at a Lowe’s when it was a little piece of stump with some twigs sticking out of it, lol.

Though I still consider myself a beginner, here are some tips.

1. Buy a cheap, mas-produced tree, because you probably will kill it. You’ll probably kill your first few trees.

2. Don’t try too many techniques at once, that’s how you kill a tree. Start with one at a time, leaving a couple months recovery time.

3. Maybe this is a personal preference, but I think tropical evergreens, like Ficus and jade, are easier to care for. Where I live, we have harsh winters, making wintering trees difficult. Tropical evergreens do not need to winter and so can stay indoors. Plus, if you live in a place where it doesn’t frost in the summer, they can be kept outside in the summer for a hearty growth period!

4.overwatering can be as deadly as underwatering. Even water-loving species can attract fungal infections and pests of constantly wet.

It’s dark outside rn, maybe i’ll Try to get you a pic tomorrow!
It’s doing great! Well, by that I mean it’s healthy. It’s nowhere near the quality you’d see at a show or garden or something. it doesn’t really fit all the aesthetic standards yet because i’m Still teaching myself. The leaves are far too big and the branch structure is underdeveloped, and it’s got tape and wire all over it so the trunk can fuse, lol. But it’s getting there. When I say i’m Proud of it, I mean i’m Proud of the progress it’s made from when I bought it at a Lowe’s when it was a little piece of stump with some twigs sticking out of it, lol.

Though I still consider myself a beginner, here are some tips.

1. Buy a cheap, mas-produced tree, because you probably will kill it. You’ll probably kill your first few trees.

2. Don’t try too many techniques at once, that’s how you kill a tree. Start with one at a time, leaving a couple months recovery time.

3. Maybe this is a personal preference, but I think tropical evergreens, like Ficus and jade, are easier to care for. Where I live, we have harsh winters, making wintering trees difficult. Tropical evergreens do not need to winter and so can stay indoors. Plus, if you live in a place where it doesn’t frost in the summer, they can be kept outside in the summer for a hearty growth period!

4.overwatering can be as deadly as underwatering. Even water-loving species can attract fungal infections and pests of constantly wet.

It’s dark outside rn, maybe i’ll Try to get you a pic tomorrow!
tumblr_ona6ed8Hu71u9ymyzo6_r1_250.pngtumblr_on2sm1UsoN1u9ymyzo9_r1_100.png
[quote name="Cersai" date="2018-05-17 16:48:21" ] @Schatzi - It's gonna be a long list.. ahaha... Pothos: Peanut Butter, Jelly Thanksgiving cacti: Joy, Khione, Lady Guinevere, Beanie Spider plants: Charlotte, Cheyenne, Chevy Umbrella plants: Parasol, Canopy, Awning Kalanchoe: Faun Snake plant: Athena Polka dot plant: Nymph Jade: E.N Succulents I forgot name of: Harmony (the other one needs a name) A plant my grandma gave me but I forget what it's called: Gwendolyn My basil, coleus, coleus cutting, ivy, sweet potato vine, oxalis, wandering Jew, and bird's nest fern all need names still.. if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them! =D [/quote] The name Gaea could be good for the succulent! You could call the birds nest Magpie, Raven or Robin! (or any bird name lol those are just my favourites)
Cersai wrote on 2018-05-17 16:48:21:

The name Gaea could be good for the succulent!
You could call the birds nest Magpie, Raven or Robin! (or any bird name lol those are just my favourites)
@Cersai Yep, everything is outdoors! I dread the thought of bringing the huge cucumber plants inside haha! Although I'll probably bring the aloe indoors in the winter, if it survives until then :P

Yeah, it's been a lot of trial and error with the aloe plant. The research I did online told me to water it very rarely, as it's a succulent obviously. But it instantly went into drought mode and started going red. It can survive like that, but now with the more often watering it's thriving much better. It's probably the hot climate I live in. It can easily get to 100-110F in the summer.
@Cersai Yep, everything is outdoors! I dread the thought of bringing the huge cucumber plants inside haha! Although I'll probably bring the aloe indoors in the winter, if it survives until then :P

Yeah, it's been a lot of trial and error with the aloe plant. The research I did online told me to water it very rarely, as it's a succulent obviously. But it instantly went into drought mode and started going red. It can survive like that, but now with the more often watering it's thriving much better. It's probably the hot climate I live in. It can easily get to 100-110F in the summer.
light_small.png
Happiness can be found,
even in the darkest of times,
if one only remembers to turn on the light.

light_small.png
I love plant, I love them more than humans. I only have 7 in my bedroom, for I like my room to be freezing cold and I already killed a succulent by freezing it to death... T_T. But I do have at least one plant in every room. Five orchids, a bunch of palms and four cherry tomatoes are in my living room and a lot of herbs and onions in the kitchen, not to mention the ivies, ferns and succulents scattered around the other rooms in my house. There's also flower gardens and a greenhouse in my yard. I'm also the one my mom gives all the plants she wants to trow out. It's perfectly healthy and you want to trow it out because it has grown up looking a bit awkward? Nope, it's my child now.
I also plant trees every spring on earth day or a bit later if the nights are still cold.
I love plant, I love them more than humans. I only have 7 in my bedroom, for I like my room to be freezing cold and I already killed a succulent by freezing it to death... T_T. But I do have at least one plant in every room. Five orchids, a bunch of palms and four cherry tomatoes are in my living room and a lot of herbs and onions in the kitchen, not to mention the ivies, ferns and succulents scattered around the other rooms in my house. There's also flower gardens and a greenhouse in my yard. I'm also the one my mom gives all the plants she wants to trow out. It's perfectly healthy and you want to trow it out because it has grown up looking a bit awkward? Nope, it's my child now.
I also plant trees every spring on earth day or a bit later if the nights are still cold.
I'll Secondary Gene: Morph to someone else. I'm just a Tertiary Gene: Ghost Sprsme376.gifSprcr079.gif
I have a new draceana -- bicolor, I believe. I've been trying to think of a name, but haven't come up with one yet. And there's a baby spider plant that my dad grew in a tiny pot from a pup. I've claimed that, but I haven't brought it home yet (my dad and I work in a greenhouse, so that's where it's staying until then).

We have lots of plants at home, but those two are mine. I had a baby clementine tree named Nemo that I grew from seed, but a squirrel tried to bury something in the pot and it broke the taproot. :'( RIP Nemo
I have a new draceana -- bicolor, I believe. I've been trying to think of a name, but haven't come up with one yet. And there's a baby spider plant that my dad grew in a tiny pot from a pup. I've claimed that, but I haven't brought it home yet (my dad and I work in a greenhouse, so that's where it's staying until then).

We have lots of plants at home, but those two are mine. I had a baby clementine tree named Nemo that I grew from seed, but a squirrel tried to bury something in the pot and it broke the taproot. :'( RIP Nemo
1 2 3 4 5