Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Anyone else not really in a fandom?
1 2 3 4 5 6
Nice to see I'm not the only one. I'll like something, I'll watch funny videos from a band, if something seems off with something I like, I'll try to figure out why, I'll talk to others about something, and I can get excited over something but I am not part of a fanbase, they seem so hyper (that's not bad, it's just not me). Closest I've come to being in a fan base is talking to my friend about why the guitarist from Imagine Dragons looked so mad or watching their videos every now and then. Actually, from what I read in an article, there's been fights in that fanbase. I don't ship myself with any of the members though or creepy stuff like that.

There are only 3 fanbases I'd join if I absolutely had to, Shinedown's, MythBusters', and Battle Bots. Shinedown seems pretty relaxed and contain their fanbase to a website. As for MythBusters and Battle Bots, I think that's more of nerd kind in general talking about science then shipping, although again, I barely interact with any of those fan bases.

Overall, I don't mind fan bases, as long as they leave me alone. Once you start yelling at me for not being a part of your fan base though, I get wary.
Nice to see I'm not the only one. I'll like something, I'll watch funny videos from a band, if something seems off with something I like, I'll try to figure out why, I'll talk to others about something, and I can get excited over something but I am not part of a fanbase, they seem so hyper (that's not bad, it's just not me). Closest I've come to being in a fan base is talking to my friend about why the guitarist from Imagine Dragons looked so mad or watching their videos every now and then. Actually, from what I read in an article, there's been fights in that fanbase. I don't ship myself with any of the members though or creepy stuff like that.

There are only 3 fanbases I'd join if I absolutely had to, Shinedown's, MythBusters', and Battle Bots. Shinedown seems pretty relaxed and contain their fanbase to a website. As for MythBusters and Battle Bots, I think that's more of nerd kind in general talking about science then shipping, although again, I barely interact with any of those fan bases.

Overall, I don't mind fan bases, as long as they leave me alone. Once you start yelling at me for not being a part of your fan base though, I get wary.
bEY99am.gif
All the stars seem so far gone
~He/him
~FR+3

Replace by the fading of the dawn
@Yeehaw
I did exactly the same, tried watching things just to be part of the conversation. When I didn't enjoy the show, I would tell my friend that I had tried, but it really wasn't my thing. She would them try spend hours trying to convince me how amazing it is, putting on episode after episode. I'd try to explain and say stuff like "I get why you like it, it's just not my thing. Like you don't like SG1 so we don't watch it together because you find it boring" would just result in the replay "yeah. BUT ....." and we would be off again.
I stoped going round in the end. And when she came round here I wouldn't put the TV on. Like with you, it just put distance between us. Felt like I was willing to try, but she wasn't willing to except that people like different things.

I wish there was a way to rebuild our friendship. But last time I tried I spent an hour on the phone listening to her go on about some ice skating anime.
@Yeehaw
I did exactly the same, tried watching things just to be part of the conversation. When I didn't enjoy the show, I would tell my friend that I had tried, but it really wasn't my thing. She would them try spend hours trying to convince me how amazing it is, putting on episode after episode. I'd try to explain and say stuff like "I get why you like it, it's just not my thing. Like you don't like SG1 so we don't watch it together because you find it boring" would just result in the replay "yeah. BUT ....." and we would be off again.
I stoped going round in the end. And when she came round here I wouldn't put the TV on. Like with you, it just put distance between us. Felt like I was willing to try, but she wasn't willing to except that people like different things.

I wish there was a way to rebuild our friendship. But last time I tried I spent an hour on the phone listening to her go on about some ice skating anime.
kQwtPyj.png
ku5wTFW.png
eh, i'm not exactly in a fandom either. sure, i like portal, voltron, zelda, and other such things, but i don't write fanfiction or ship anyone. fandoms are just a little bit too crazy for me sometimes.
eh, i'm not exactly in a fandom either. sure, i like portal, voltron, zelda, and other such things, but i don't write fanfiction or ship anyone. fandoms are just a little bit too crazy for me sometimes.
UOO8oB4.png
KdJtVsv.png
Rw7uKRS.png
mlHpBMC.png
No way. I love a lot of different things... But I enjoy what people make, and stories people write, and stuff at a distance. I'll read the things, and like the art, and do my own art... But because people get crazy, I can't handle when someone just gets mad at you for having a certain theory or headcanon. I hate people when they get aggressive about something that they like, or a character that they love.

I once had someone actually tell me (simply because I said I liked a certain character that they adored) that I can't like them too because they were going to marry them. Then they just treated me poorly ever since. Gladly that was high school, and all that is over with them. But anyways. I only discuss things with a good friend of mine. Or my wife who just deals with my angry rants. Or happy rants. XD

But seriously. I just can't do fandoms.
No way. I love a lot of different things... But I enjoy what people make, and stories people write, and stuff at a distance. I'll read the things, and like the art, and do my own art... But because people get crazy, I can't handle when someone just gets mad at you for having a certain theory or headcanon. I hate people when they get aggressive about something that they like, or a character that they love.

I once had someone actually tell me (simply because I said I liked a certain character that they adored) that I can't like them too because they were going to marry them. Then they just treated me poorly ever since. Gladly that was high school, and all that is over with them. But anyways. I only discuss things with a good friend of mine. Or my wife who just deals with my angry rants. Or happy rants. XD

But seriously. I just can't do fandoms.
tumblr_inline_nrj53lAKh41rbfe8q_500_zpsqiquog40.gif
Kind of? There are some fandoms that I'm really really into, but others that I just scrape the surface of so o dont get as much discourse as I get from the others
Kind of? There are some fandoms that I'm really really into, but others that I just scrape the surface of so o dont get as much discourse as I get from the others
Fear the Old Blood
iuEBSJ3.png
slCEFYq.png
C41-B82-D4-74-CF-41-F7-82-B0-DDEF5-B909503.gif
i don't really get myself into fandoms either, feels more calm this way. i have some more casually liked things that have fandoms, but i don't really go into those. i have been in a couple of more fandomy things tho (owl city, sigur rós). as for my current most fave thing, or music artist rather (moa pillar), he doesn't really have any kind of organized specific fanbase thing per se, rather each fan on their own probably (esp outside of russia). he tends to occasionally interact a bit with some fans / ppl who mention moa pillar more directly tho (especially on twitter; he's relatively obscureish/underground = easier to be direct), which is really nice. i seem to be (one of) the recurring more active enthusiast(s)/mentioner(s), so. and one time after a live thing i gave him a few tiny paper cranes and a tiny handmade calendar with a tiny note and he recognized those as from me, i guess this says enough. and then friends around me, some of whom i've made like moa pillar to some extent also (even if a tiny bit). i guess this is relatively close to being some strangely built untraditional fandom hahaha, since most of the few friends and i are also in this group chat where i occasionally enthuse hahahha (and there have also been a whole truckload of crappy puns. what do you call a book about only moa pillar? an encyclofedya. and then all the moa-puns) honestly i prefer it like this (i.e relatively fandomless). special interest, deep bond, possibly on some kind of wayyy spiritual level by now, all that. don't want to spoil it. and i tend to enthuse /at/ others rather than /with/ others lol. and mostly i just kinda listen to the music pretty much daily by now, my most frequent way of quiet enthusing i guess /shrug edit re: the pic in the first post of the thread: [img]https://s25.postimg.org/ufl47jlan/1499734112107.jpg[/img] [size=1][s]may or may not be a part of the cover art of a certain upcoming moa pillar album[/s][/size]
i don't really get myself into fandoms either, feels more calm this way. i have some more casually liked things that have fandoms, but i don't really go into those. i have been in a couple of more fandomy things tho (owl city, sigur rós).

as for my current most fave thing, or music artist rather (moa pillar), he doesn't really have any kind of organized specific fanbase thing per se, rather each fan on their own probably (esp outside of russia).
he tends to occasionally interact a bit with some fans / ppl who mention moa pillar more directly tho (especially on twitter; he's relatively obscureish/underground = easier to be direct), which is really nice. i seem to be (one of) the recurring more active enthusiast(s)/mentioner(s), so. and one time after a live thing i gave him a few tiny paper cranes and a tiny handmade calendar with a tiny note and he recognized those as from me, i guess this says enough.

and then friends around me, some of whom i've made like moa pillar to some extent also (even if a tiny bit). i guess this is relatively close to being some strangely built untraditional fandom hahaha, since most of the few friends and i are also in this group chat where i occasionally enthuse hahahha (and there have also been a whole truckload of crappy puns. what do you call a book about only moa pillar? an encyclofedya. and then all the moa-puns)

honestly i prefer it like this (i.e relatively fandomless). special interest, deep bond, possibly on some kind of wayyy spiritual level by now, all that. don't want to spoil it. and i tend to enthuse /at/ others rather than /with/ others lol. and mostly i just kinda listen to the music pretty much daily by now, my most frequent way of quiet enthusing i guess /shrug

edit re: the pic in the first post of the thread:
1499734112107.jpg
may or may not be a part of the cover art of a certain upcoming moa pillar album
a minimal doodle of a charcoal/periwinkle imperial with some matchy apparel lounging, with the text 'wow...' near her head she/her / frt+10

"have you tried drink water"
Man, yeah. I really enjoy a lot of things that have fan-bases, but fan-bases in general make me real uncomfortable. They're all so toxic and usually p gross
Man, yeah. I really enjoy a lot of things that have fan-bases, but fan-bases in general make me real uncomfortable. They're all so toxic and usually p gross
I'm not really in any fandom. I just consume the stuff they make. Fanart, fanfiction (no shipping tho), character interpretation/analysis are fun.

I don't really contribute to fandoms (I lack skills and ideas) and I don't interact with fans. I'm fine with that.

So, yeah, that kinda counts?
I'm not really in any fandom. I just consume the stuff they make. Fanart, fanfiction (no shipping tho), character interpretation/analysis are fun.

I don't really contribute to fandoms (I lack skills and ideas) and I don't interact with fans. I'm fine with that.

So, yeah, that kinda counts?
Oh no.
I'm into a lot of things - some shows like Supernatural and Game of thrones, LOTS OF ANIMES, so many games, but I don't relly care about the fandom. All the interaction with fandom of any of these things would be me looking at some dope fanart and maybe talking about the thing with one friend who also knows it. But tht's about it. Let's take Superntural for example. I watch the thing for my own entertainment at the moment, but don't really dwell on it later on.
I'm into a lot of things - some shows like Supernatural and Game of thrones, LOTS OF ANIMES, so many games, but I don't relly care about the fandom. All the interaction with fandom of any of these things would be me looking at some dope fanart and maybe talking about the thing with one friend who also knows it. But tht's about it. Let's take Superntural for example. I watch the thing for my own entertainment at the moment, but don't really dwell on it later on.
I'm not really in to fandoms. I know, I use Amino for fandom related things, but sometimes things get off hand a bit. Like NITW, I'm too scared to get in the fandom because I worry It's gonna be the next "Undertale."
I'm not really in to fandoms. I know, I use Amino for fandom related things, but sometimes things get off hand a bit. Like NITW, I'm too scared to get in the fandom because I worry It's gonna be the next "Undertale."
proty_icon_2_by_newglasses-dc6pnfz.pnghumbee_icon_2_by_newglasses-dc6pngb.pngjorge_icon_2_by_newglasses-dc6pnfh.png
1 2 3 4 5 6