Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Book Discussions
1 2 3 4
im disabled and reading is heck and the first book ive finished in 4 years is the martian HELLO ITS A GOOD BOOK
im disabled and reading is heck and the first book ive finished in 4 years is the martian HELLO ITS A GOOD BOOK
clyCaLS.png .

20s, male, he/him
.np7f4Fm.png about me
.np7f4Fm.png current icon:
NUuorfS.png .
@Icystorm
What about "The Candy Shop War"? This is the book of the same author
@Icystorm
What about "The Candy Shop War"? This is the book of the same author
@Raniuszek
I haven't read The Candy Shop War yet. The series sounds good, though.
@Raniuszek
I haven't read The Candy Shop War yet. The series sounds good, though.
dona_by_brambleclawandjaypaw-dbgci6v.png
@Icystorm
You should read it! This book is just as interesting as Fablehaven.
@Icystorm
You should read it! This book is just as interesting as Fablehaven.
@Raniuszek
I will see if I can get my hands on it eventually. My to-read list is huge right now xD
@Raniuszek
I will see if I can get my hands on it eventually. My to-read list is huge right now xD
dona_by_brambleclawandjaypaw-dbgci6v.png
My current favourite is Dime Store Magic by Kelly Armstrong. I'm a total sucker for her books!
My current favourite is Dime Store Magic by Kelly Armstrong. I'm a total sucker for her books!
x6tELKc.png
feed the stone
[quote name="LizardKing" date=2017-06-16 16:38:45] [quote name="Aethris" date=2017-06-16 15:46:59] [quote name="LizardKing" date=2017-06-16 13:55:42] [quote name="Aethris" date=2017-06-16 13:45:18] I also love the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, it's so good. I especially love the first book. [/quote] Gods, I adore the Guide. My personal favorite is the 4th book So Long and Thanks for All the Fish, that was a master piece. Adams is just a genius. I am really picky about sci-fi, a lot of times it take itself too seriously and becomes a disaster. But its light hearted nihilism (until the last book yikes), a lot of fun and some of the most creative writing styles and devices I have ever read. That trilogy is my religion i swear [/quote] I know right! I didn't like to read at all before, but I was told to check out this series. I asked why and I was only sent a quote from the first book: "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." And then I read all the books. [/quote] oh yeah, that quote is like iconic as for why adams is a genius. its just so unexpected and clever, like all his writing... i was introduced to it from my dad, when i was really little i saw some of the BBC episodes (never got far at all, probably only to the second) but he kept telling me about the cow thing in the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and eventually the curiosity was too much and i had to buy it. [/quote] Hitchhiker's Guide is one of my favorite series. I actually ended up reading it on New Years a few years ago, because there was too much sensory overload and I needed to find something quiet to do. I found a box set of the Guide, and I have been addicted ever since. I actually dressed up as Arthur Dent for Halloween once (I wore my robe, carried a towel, and had a Kindle displaying "Don't Panic". It was awesome). I still love the part with the bulldozer in the first book. It sets up the tone of the series so well, and really shows Arthur and Ford so well.
LizardKing wrote on 2017-06-16:
Aethris wrote on 2017-06-16:
LizardKing wrote on 2017-06-16:
Aethris wrote on 2017-06-16:
I also love the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, it's so good. I especially love the first book.

Gods, I adore the Guide. My personal favorite is the 4th book So Long and Thanks for All the Fish, that was a master piece. Adams is just a genius. I am really picky about sci-fi, a lot of times it take itself too seriously and becomes a disaster. But its light hearted nihilism (until the last book yikes), a lot of fun and some of the most creative writing styles and devices I have ever read. That trilogy is my religion i swear

I know right! I didn't like to read at all before, but I was told to check out this series. I asked why and I was only sent a quote from the first book:
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."
And then I read all the books.

oh yeah, that quote is like iconic as for why adams is a genius. its just so unexpected and clever, like all his writing... i was introduced to it from my dad, when i was really little i saw some of the BBC episodes (never got far at all, probably only to the second) but he kept telling me about the cow thing in the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and eventually the curiosity was too much and i had to buy it.
Hitchhiker's Guide is one of my favorite series. I actually ended up reading it on New Years a few years ago, because there was too much sensory overload and I needed to find something quiet to do. I found a box set of the Guide, and I have been addicted ever since. I actually dressed up as Arthur Dent for Halloween once (I wore my robe, carried a towel, and had a Kindle displaying "Don't Panic". It was awesome).
I still love the part with the bulldozer in the first book. It sets up the tone of the series so well, and really shows Arthur and Ford so well.
NHCZe8E.gifnMkuik2.gifwO1H58F.gif
Wheel of Time. Harry Potter. Assassin's Apprentice (did I spell that right?) Jane Austen novels.
Wheel of Time. Harry Potter. Assassin's Apprentice (did I spell that right?) Jane Austen novels.
I just finished up a book called "Orphan Island" by Laurel Snyder! It's very new (just released on May 30th) but it's already one of my favorites.

(NO SPOILERS, DON'T WORRY)
The basic premise is that nine orphans live on an island together. Life on the island is perfect and the children have everything they need: food, shelter, fire, books, companionship, etc. However, each year a boat comes to the island, carrying a young child. The new child stays on the island, and the eldest child gets into the boat and leaves, never to be heard from again. Nobody knows where the boat has come from, or where it goes.

At the start of the book, protagonist Jinny has just watched her best friend Deen board the boat and leave, replacing him with a young girl named Ess. As the new Elder, Jinny has one year to teach Ess about life on the island before the boat returns.

It's a seriously amazing coming of age novel with a great message. While it definitely has it's flaws, the story hit me like a ton of bricks emotionally.

So yeah. :D
I just finished up a book called "Orphan Island" by Laurel Snyder! It's very new (just released on May 30th) but it's already one of my favorites.

The basic premise is that nine orphans live on an island together. Life on the island is perfect and the children have everything they need: food, shelter, fire, books, companionship, etc. However, each year a boat comes to the island, carrying a young child. The new child stays on the island, and the eldest child gets into the boat and leaves, never to be heard from again. Nobody knows where the boat has come from, or where it goes.

At the start of the book, protagonist Jinny has just watched her best friend Deen board the boat and leave, replacing him with a young girl named Ess. As the new Elder, Jinny has one year to teach Ess about life on the island before the boat returns.

It's a seriously amazing coming of age novel with a great message. While it definitely has it's flaws, the story hit me like a ton of bricks emotionally.

93L4jcM.png
[quote name="GhostlyCat" date=2017-06-17 08:42:00] I just finished up a book called "Orphan Island" by Laurel Snyder! It's very new (just released on May 30th) but it's already one of my favorites. (NO SPOILERS, DON'T WORRY) The basic premise is that nine orphans live on an island together. Life on the island is perfect and the children have everything they need: food, shelter, fire, books, companionship, etc. However, each year a boat comes to the island, carrying a young child. The new child stays on the island, and the eldest child gets into the boat and leaves, never to be heard from again. Nobody knows where the boat has come from, or where it goes. At the start of the book, protagonist Jinny has just watched her best friend Deen board the boat and leave, replacing him with a young girl named Ess. As the new Elder, Jinny has one year to teach Ess about life on the island before the boat returns. It's a seriously amazing coming of age novel with a great message. While it definitely has it's flaws, the story hit me like a ton of bricks emotionally. So yeah. :D [/quote] Sounds good. What genre is it? YA? Fiction?
GhostlyCat wrote on 2017-06-17:

Sounds good. What genre is it? YA? Fiction?
1 2 3 4