Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Things in games that freak you out.
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
i used to play half life as a child n https://youtu.be/ipYOMnTwulo?t=1m36s made me fully brick it and gave me nightmares lol
i used to play half life as a child n https://youtu.be/ipYOMnTwulo?t=1m36s made me fully brick it and gave me nightmares lol
QZRMy.gif5rsP7.gif7A9On.gifEATfP.gif
Do I have to post the Clock Tower story again? [quote name="KalliZora" date="2018-01-14 17:31:12" ] GATHER ROUND KIDDIES I’M GONNA TELL YOU HOW I BECAME SCARED OF IT’S A SMALL WORLD Back when I was like 9 and my little brother was about 6, he rented this game called Epic Mickey from GameFly. It was a game where you play as Mickey Mouse and you fight this black goo by using a paintbrush. So one of the bosses in the game was the Clock Tower from It’s a Small World. You know the one. The one with the smiley face that goes side to side and doesn’t even blink. And then it happened. Its happy sunny face melted off into a dark and twisted grin, and it sprouted mechanical arms. The music was all warped and scary, which made it even worse. And I was scared out of my mind. I barely even went into the room when Drew played Epic Mickey anymore, because oh my hecking Farore, the bosses were the scariest thing. I didn’t even go on It’s a Small World anymore. All because of that murderous timepiece... [/quote]
Do I have to post the Clock Tower story again?
KalliZora wrote on 2018-01-14 17:31:12:
GATHER ROUND KIDDIES I’M GONNA TELL YOU HOW I BECAME SCARED OF IT’S A SMALL WORLD

Back when I was like 9 and my little brother was about 6, he rented this game called Epic Mickey from GameFly. It was a game where you play as Mickey Mouse and you fight this black goo by using a paintbrush. So one of the bosses in the game was the Clock Tower from It’s a Small World. You know the one. The one with the smiley face that goes side to side and doesn’t even blink.
And then it happened. Its happy sunny face melted off into a dark and twisted grin, and it sprouted mechanical arms. The music was all warped and scary, which made it even worse. And I was scared out of my mind. I barely even went into the room when Drew played Epic Mickey anymore, because oh my hecking Farore, the bosses were the scariest thing. I didn’t even go on It’s a Small World anymore.

All because of that murderous timepiece...
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
I don't remember if I posted in this thread a long time ago so I'm just gonna go ahead...

First, those wolves in The Long Dark. They're not zombie wolves or monster wolves, just....highly aggressive animals and every time I hear them snarling in the dark I panic. Maybe it's because you can't really do anything to defend yourself if you don't have a flare to keep them back?

Second, the fast and skinny headcrab zombies from Half Life 2. The first time they came after me I noped the heck out of the game and it took me a while to go back and finish the Ravenholm chapter.

Lastly, I don't think there's anything in any game that made me freak out more than that dog in Telltale's Walking Dead 2 game.
I don't remember if I posted in this thread a long time ago so I'm just gonna go ahead...

First, those wolves in The Long Dark. They're not zombie wolves or monster wolves, just....highly aggressive animals and every time I hear them snarling in the dark I panic. Maybe it's because you can't really do anything to defend yourself if you don't have a flare to keep them back?

Second, the fast and skinny headcrab zombies from Half Life 2. The first time they came after me I noped the heck out of the game and it took me a while to go back and finish the Ravenholm chapter.

Lastly, I don't think there's anything in any game that made me freak out more than that dog in Telltale's Walking Dead 2 game.
lF5nfl9.png tShJXZX.png
This monstrosity [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/d171eaa61fd75433e9f830445700038b/tumblr_oixhqtIFYY1s2hs2ko1_400.png[/img]
This monstrosity
tumblr_oixhqtIFYY1s2hs2ko1_400.png
[quote name="Barrypaws" date="2018-04-12 16:29:23" ] This monstrosity [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/d171eaa61fd75433e9f830445700038b/tumblr_oixhqtIFYY1s2hs2ko1_400.png[/img] [/quote] Is that the freaking murder mountain?! Because I swear that turd killed me so many times. Any time I had to go anywhere *near* it's part of the map, I'd be on edge the whole time. Stupid sea boulder of death.
Barrypaws wrote on 2018-04-12 16:29:23:
This monstrosity
tumblr_oixhqtIFYY1s2hs2ko1_400.png

Is that the freaking murder mountain?! Because I swear that turd killed me so many times. Any time I had to go anywhere *near* it's part of the map, I'd be on edge the whole time. Stupid sea boulder of death.
Anything to do with headcrabs. I haven't even played Half-Life but eUGUGGHHHHH

The Centaurs from Fallout 3/NV are the only weird radiation monster that properly gets to me in those games. The ghouls used to but I got used to them cause ferals are so common in the games... Centaurs aren't though. And they're proper kinda squicky for me with those flesh tentacles coming out of their mouths rip
Anything to do with headcrabs. I haven't even played Half-Life but eUGUGGHHHHH

The Centaurs from Fallout 3/NV are the only weird radiation monster that properly gets to me in those games. The ghouls used to but I got used to them cause ferals are so common in the games... Centaurs aren't though. And they're proper kinda squicky for me with those flesh tentacles coming out of their mouths rip
cbaa17a5a06daa6a78029fcf8763b4844dd0e1a6.png .
...he/him | FR+8
@Fire lairs - please let me know
if you hatch a mint/ruby/hunter
dragon! I have a mighty need.
....OjYCOIV.png
All the stuff with the kids’ brains in Psychonauts. I mean, like I get the sneezing thing was supposed to be funny but i’ll Nope the heck right outa that thanks. I don’t like it when they’re mounted onto tanks, I don’t like seeing all the empty kids in that room. Heck, i don’t even like it when Raz finds them and just like, picks them up with his hands, makes some comment, and then like, sticks them in his pocket like nbd. And then he has to go and smooch them as well. NOPE. Nope nope nope nope. I don’t like brains man. They can stay in peoples heads, in one piece, where they belong and I don’t have to think about them.

Seriously tho if the characters weren’t so amazing I would NOT be playing this.

Also I find OFF in general terrifying. No thanks I would rather not bring the apocalypse and make people’s heads explode and beat my infant son to death. NO THANKS WOULD NOT PLAY AGAIN.
All the stuff with the kids’ brains in Psychonauts. I mean, like I get the sneezing thing was supposed to be funny but i’ll Nope the heck right outa that thanks. I don’t like it when they’re mounted onto tanks, I don’t like seeing all the empty kids in that room. Heck, i don’t even like it when Raz finds them and just like, picks them up with his hands, makes some comment, and then like, sticks them in his pocket like nbd. And then he has to go and smooch them as well. NOPE. Nope nope nope nope. I don’t like brains man. They can stay in peoples heads, in one piece, where they belong and I don’t have to think about them.

Seriously tho if the characters weren’t so amazing I would NOT be playing this.

Also I find OFF in general terrifying. No thanks I would rather not bring the apocalypse and make people’s heads explode and beat my infant son to death. NO THANKS WOULD NOT PLAY AGAIN.
tumblr_ona6ed8Hu71u9ymyzo6_r1_250.pngtumblr_on2sm1UsoN1u9ymyzo9_r1_100.png
I can't play horror games AT ALL because I get scared easily and scary things really stick with me and make my anxiety and depression worse. There are some scary games I can play once in a blue moon in a very small dose so long as there's NO gore, though. I managed to play a few minutes of Slenderman and the first night of FNaF but that was it. :p

So for regular games:

* Water in any game. It's buggy, it's dark, there are THINGS in the water (and if there aren't MY MIND STILL TELLS ME THEY'RE THERE), the controls are usually awful so you get stuck in it, etc. Sometimes I break down into tears when I have to swim in a game and I constantly feel like something's chasing me and is just about to grab me. Despite this, I've attempted to play Subnautica because I hate myself. It is one of THE most terrifying games I've ever played!! I've watched playthroughs so I know how to beat the game, where everything is (besides the randomly-generated stuff), etc. but I WANT TO CRY. My seamoth got attacked and destroyed by a reaper near the Aurora and I screamed irl and actually cried and I could've gotten away but I was freaking out too much. My girlfriend thought it was hilarious, though, so at least I was entertaining.

* THE VOID. I don't know why but I have an actual PHOBIA of the void in video games. I had a hard time back on the NES, SNES, N64 and some early GameCube games that had the "view distance fog" because it always made me nervous (there are THINGS in the fog!) but games where you FALL INTO THE VOID AAAAAA. Like I said with water in games, it's usually buggy and it's connected to the void. Too often in games I've found a buggy tile where you fall through the water into the void, you can swim below the world, you pass through a texture into the void, etc., etc., etc. IT'S TERRIBLE! Every time I fall into the void in a game I feel like I'm falling irl and my heart goes into my throat and sometimes I cry and scream. I guess it's pretty sad. DESPITE THIS PHOBIA I LOVE messing around in games and finding these buggy things. I've read about every glitch in all my favourite games and I've explored them and found new ones myself. Often I just stumble across things because of my playstyle (explore EVERY LITTLE THING EVEN THOUGH IT'S CLEARLY NOTHING) but other times I try to bug games out... even though I will cry when I fall through the world.

* DARKNESS. Like the void. Especially terrible when there's no visible floor and you can fall off unexpectedly. NOPENOPENOPE. I did this recently in BOTW when I tried to enter Typhlo Ruins from the opposite shore instead of using the bridge. DOESN'T WORK. YOU FALL THROUGH THE GROUND, SCREAMING ALL THE WAY.

* Sneak missions. Too nervous. I freak out even going through Hyrule Castle and Gerudo Fortress in OoT and those are super basic.

Super specific things:

* Forest Temple, OoT. It's worse than the Shadow Temple for me! That music is HORRIFYING, all the hands that come down from the ceiling (in the Shadow Temple too and they're my most hated part but there's plenty in the Forest Temple too), the Poes, the fog, the spiders, etc. I always felt like something was going to leap out of the frog. I HATED going through the sewer-like area.

* Bottom of the Well, OoT. I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS!! Falling through the floor, the spiders, the flaming skulls (that were HUGE for some reason!!), the blood, the creepy story, the music, the sounds, EVERYTHING!! It's the worst!

I'm sure there's a ton more things because I'm a coward but these are the main ones.
I can't play horror games AT ALL because I get scared easily and scary things really stick with me and make my anxiety and depression worse. There are some scary games I can play once in a blue moon in a very small dose so long as there's NO gore, though. I managed to play a few minutes of Slenderman and the first night of FNaF but that was it. :p

So for regular games:

* Water in any game. It's buggy, it's dark, there are THINGS in the water (and if there aren't MY MIND STILL TELLS ME THEY'RE THERE), the controls are usually awful so you get stuck in it, etc. Sometimes I break down into tears when I have to swim in a game and I constantly feel like something's chasing me and is just about to grab me. Despite this, I've attempted to play Subnautica because I hate myself. It is one of THE most terrifying games I've ever played!! I've watched playthroughs so I know how to beat the game, where everything is (besides the randomly-generated stuff), etc. but I WANT TO CRY. My seamoth got attacked and destroyed by a reaper near the Aurora and I screamed irl and actually cried and I could've gotten away but I was freaking out too much. My girlfriend thought it was hilarious, though, so at least I was entertaining.

* THE VOID. I don't know why but I have an actual PHOBIA of the void in video games. I had a hard time back on the NES, SNES, N64 and some early GameCube games that had the "view distance fog" because it always made me nervous (there are THINGS in the fog!) but games where you FALL INTO THE VOID AAAAAA. Like I said with water in games, it's usually buggy and it's connected to the void. Too often in games I've found a buggy tile where you fall through the water into the void, you can swim below the world, you pass through a texture into the void, etc., etc., etc. IT'S TERRIBLE! Every time I fall into the void in a game I feel like I'm falling irl and my heart goes into my throat and sometimes I cry and scream. I guess it's pretty sad. DESPITE THIS PHOBIA I LOVE messing around in games and finding these buggy things. I've read about every glitch in all my favourite games and I've explored them and found new ones myself. Often I just stumble across things because of my playstyle (explore EVERY LITTLE THING EVEN THOUGH IT'S CLEARLY NOTHING) but other times I try to bug games out... even though I will cry when I fall through the world.

* DARKNESS. Like the void. Especially terrible when there's no visible floor and you can fall off unexpectedly. NOPENOPENOPE. I did this recently in BOTW when I tried to enter Typhlo Ruins from the opposite shore instead of using the bridge. DOESN'T WORK. YOU FALL THROUGH THE GROUND, SCREAMING ALL THE WAY.

* Sneak missions. Too nervous. I freak out even going through Hyrule Castle and Gerudo Fortress in OoT and those are super basic.

Super specific things:

* Forest Temple, OoT. It's worse than the Shadow Temple for me! That music is HORRIFYING, all the hands that come down from the ceiling (in the Shadow Temple too and they're my most hated part but there's plenty in the Forest Temple too), the Poes, the fog, the spiders, etc. I always felt like something was going to leap out of the frog. I HATED going through the sewer-like area.

* Bottom of the Well, OoT. I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS!! Falling through the floor, the spiders, the flaming skulls (that were HUGE for some reason!!), the blood, the creepy story, the music, the sounds, EVERYTHING!! It's the worst!

I'm sure there's a ton more things because I'm a coward but these are the main ones.
I have to say that the 3-day time limit is what stops me from playing Majora's Mask. It doesn't do any favors for my anxiety and I feel like it just ruins the enjoyment of the game for me...

But who knows? Maybe one day I'll work up the courage to try it again.

The time limits in the old Trauma Center games (Second Opinion and New Blood) would also freak me out if I had to do two long operations within 5 minutes. Ugh... so much stress! But I still enjoy the games. They took out the time limits in Trauma Team and that was a huge relief for me.

(Also the Guardians in Breath of the Wild still give me the shivers... I hate those things!)
I have to say that the 3-day time limit is what stops me from playing Majora's Mask. It doesn't do any favors for my anxiety and I feel like it just ruins the enjoyment of the game for me...

But who knows? Maybe one day I'll work up the courage to try it again.

The time limits in the old Trauma Center games (Second Opinion and New Blood) would also freak me out if I had to do two long operations within 5 minutes. Ugh... so much stress! But I still enjoy the games. They took out the time limits in Trauma Team and that was a huge relief for me.

(Also the Guardians in Breath of the Wild still give me the shivers... I hate those things!)
nPEtuOq.png SILN8af.gif VO3icXF.png
In Pokémon Ranger, if you walk past a certain area in the sewers, this Crawdaunt will pounce out of the water, make this horrible loud noise and pull you into battle. I screamed the first time that happened.

Any ghost house/ghost girl encounter in the main Pokémon games. Scariest one has to be the Abandoned House in Black/White 2. I was home alone while playing through that the first time, so that didn't help at all. I intentionally kept my Repel off so I could encounter Pokémon, the random battles broke up the creepy music.
The ghost in the skyscraper in Lumiose City in X/Y is worth a mention. I was just scouring through every building in the city to make sure I got every item available, then I go up to the top floor and suddenly I can't move my character, the music dies, and this girl, who's model actually doesn't have a walk animation so she just glides, comes along saying "No, you're not the one." or something along those lines. I searched the room for items as quickly as possible (there were none and I was so annoyed) and got the heck out of there.
And I just remembered the ghost event in Ultra Sun/Moon? You have to help a little girl find out the causes of the strange events in the Pokémon school at night. The first few have actual logical explanations, but the last few don't really have any. The final mystery is one the little girl who asked you to solve the others doesn't know about, because she IS the mystery. A long time ago she went missing from the school after a Drifloon took her away, and what's been floating next to her the whole time? Drifloon.
I love the ghost mysteries in Pokémon games but they freak me out so much--

Other minor creepy things would be the gyroids in Animal Crossing after I found out what they were based off (before I thought that some were cute, now? nope), the Redeads from The Legend of Zelda, and Omega Flowey, Alphys's True Lab, and the slowed music in the Genocide Route from Undertale. I found the slowed Snowdin Forest theme the most creepy for some reason?
In Pokémon Ranger, if you walk past a certain area in the sewers, this Crawdaunt will pounce out of the water, make this horrible loud noise and pull you into battle. I screamed the first time that happened.

Any ghost house/ghost girl encounter in the main Pokémon games. Scariest one has to be the Abandoned House in Black/White 2. I was home alone while playing through that the first time, so that didn't help at all. I intentionally kept my Repel off so I could encounter Pokémon, the random battles broke up the creepy music.
The ghost in the skyscraper in Lumiose City in X/Y is worth a mention. I was just scouring through every building in the city to make sure I got every item available, then I go up to the top floor and suddenly I can't move my character, the music dies, and this girl, who's model actually doesn't have a walk animation so she just glides, comes along saying "No, you're not the one." or something along those lines. I searched the room for items as quickly as possible (there were none and I was so annoyed) and got the heck out of there.
And I just remembered the ghost event in Ultra Sun/Moon? You have to help a little girl find out the causes of the strange events in the Pokémon school at night. The first few have actual logical explanations, but the last few don't really have any. The final mystery is one the little girl who asked you to solve the others doesn't know about, because she IS the mystery. A long time ago she went missing from the school after a Drifloon took her away, and what's been floating next to her the whole time? Drifloon.
I love the ghost mysteries in Pokémon games but they freak me out so much--

Other minor creepy things would be the gyroids in Animal Crossing after I found out what they were based off (before I thought that some were cute, now? nope), the Redeads from The Legend of Zelda, and Omega Flowey, Alphys's True Lab, and the slowed music in the Genocide Route from Undertale. I found the slowed Snowdin Forest theme the most creepy for some reason?
CAszu6o.png clai/mordecai/aether
fae/they
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx fqG5KmE.png
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17