Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Post Your Current Thought
erftgvyhbjnkml stop putting me on holds fstyhjnik
erftgvyhbjnkml stop putting me on holds fstyhjnik
95052610.png
hm i wanna learn how to use the rw leditor but it looks so complicated, even the more user friendly leditors are a lot to look at
hm i wanna learn how to use the rw leditor but it looks so complicated, even the more user friendly leditors are a lot to look at
DtBIuzC.png
How I hate words like "yasno" and "ponyatno"
How I hate words like "yasno" and "ponyatno"
image.png
KNdRBxl.png
jA5A7gu.png
tyEuRXe.png
rI18gRz.png
agWlVws.png
Bt9KLea.png
kcbWnDp.png
mlHpBMC.png
mlSrRbK.png
WAkWK5y.png
SRsfBYm.png
qhK4FYS.png
3hKoziR.png
Yw8EvNQ.png
5hF3FGk.png
HZSRMw5.png
image.png
Throwing trash away when getting started on cleaning is the best small win
Throwing trash away when getting started on cleaning is the best small win
95052610.png
So close yet so far.

Once June's halfway done, I should be finished.
So close yet so far.

Once June's halfway done, I should be finished.
rsz-2img-1151.png
I can't tell if it's allergies or a cold.
I can't tell if it's allergies or a cold.
Gcwdq5a.png
should I keep cleaning or to go to bed on time for work? probably neither
should I keep cleaning or to go to bed on time for work? probably neither
[quote name="@RheoTastic" date="2024-05-15 07:51:48" ] [quote name="Melova" date="2024-05-15 00:49:33" ] heck yeah, I can understand like 20% of the written text and the way sentances work also makes sense. Lets go bois only *checks notes* 700 characters left??? This speedrun lookin good [/quote] out of curiosity, how did you study chinese (which I think is what youre referring to)? like do you have a course or a workbook or something else or nothing else, whats your Speedrun Setup—ofc feel free to ignore me but either way good luck on speedrunning the rest of the characters! [/quote] yooo thank you, thank you! Yeah, I was talking about chinese oof the setup is chaotic. I'm not sure where to begin. My original goal was to read a webnovel because I'm too impatient to wait for a translation :'D Mostly I use Pleco and Ankidroid apps, but I started with syllable pronounciation first. HackingChinese.com and [url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_tIypNTG-9o]this video[/url] helped. When pronounciation was good enough I got those two apps Pleco is a chinese dictionary and has a screen reader you can use outside the app, so I used that to skim over every character in the webnovel chapter and just tried to pronounce them based on pinyin. The characters that appeared most often or were kinda cool got thrown in the Ankidroid app Ankidroid works like those memorization cards, but you have to make them yourself. On one side there is the character, on the other side I added pinyin and a rough translation. If I need clarification I add some explanations or examples. Basically I added enough hints where it was possible for me to remember the character without saying what it is. For example, if I confuse two characters I add a note saying "not characterA" I also installed chinese keyboard on my phone where it's possible to draw. Every time I add a character or a word to Ankidroid I draw them. Pleco shows how to draw simple characters, so I follow that. If the phone can understand what I'm drawing then I pass the test For funsies I also have Daily Chinese app. It's kinda similar to Ankidroid. The card packs are premade, but I don't really like how they determine how often a card will appear. One of the packs consists of reading basics. I use that to fill in the gaps that might be left empty by picking stuff from a webnovel, but it's just there as filler when I'm bored For grammar there's Chinese Grammar app that helped to understand the basics. For a more in depth grammar there's MandarinBean.com and if that doesn't help there's always Chinese.StackExchange.com for more niche questions For pronounciation and listening I just picked a streamer on twitch. I like movies, so I follow AccentedCinema on youtube and plan to watch movies he has recommended or covered. There's also spotify with a chinese metal playlist and I can always rewatch genshin impact cutscenes Side note: I also have firefox extension that works similar to Pleco screen reader, but on a web browser. Twitch chat, as chaotic as it is, still contributes to reading to some degree. At least I can point to a character and be excited I've seen it before aaand because this isn't long enough already, there's also youtube channels like ShuoshuoChinese and GraceMandarinChinese. They help a lot with the mindset, how to think or interpret certain things from a native perspective It's a lot of stuff, but only because I got curious. The only consistent thing I do is Ankidroid card revising and watching something in chinese for an hour or so. Everything else is there in case I get bored or if I need some clarification
@RheoTastic wrote on 2024-05-15 07:51:48:
Melova wrote on 2024-05-15 00:49:33:
heck yeah, I can understand like 20% of the written text and the way sentances work also makes sense. Lets go bois only *checks notes* 700 characters left??? This speedrun lookin good
out of curiosity, how did you study chinese (which I think is what youre referring to)? like do you have a course or a workbook or something else or nothing else, whats your Speedrun Setup—ofc feel free to ignore me but either way good luck on speedrunning the rest of the characters!

yooo thank you, thank you! Yeah, I was talking about chinese

oof the setup is chaotic. I'm not sure where to begin. My original goal was to read a webnovel because I'm too impatient to wait for a translation :'D

Mostly I use Pleco and Ankidroid apps, but I started with syllable pronounciation first. HackingChinese.com and this video helped. When pronounciation was good enough I got those two apps

Pleco is a chinese dictionary and has a screen reader you can use outside the app, so I used that to skim over every character in the webnovel chapter and just tried to pronounce them based on pinyin. The characters that appeared most often or were kinda cool got thrown in the Ankidroid app

Ankidroid works like those memorization cards, but you have to make them yourself. On one side there is the character, on the other side I added pinyin and a rough translation. If I need clarification I add some explanations or examples. Basically I added enough hints where it was possible for me to remember the character without saying what it is. For example, if I confuse two characters I add a note saying "not characterA"

I also installed chinese keyboard on my phone where it's possible to draw. Every time I add a character or a word to Ankidroid I draw them. Pleco shows how to draw simple characters, so I follow that. If the phone can understand what I'm drawing then I pass the test

For funsies I also have Daily Chinese app. It's kinda similar to Ankidroid. The card packs are premade, but I don't really like how they determine how often a card will appear. One of the packs consists of reading basics. I use that to fill in the gaps that might be left empty by picking stuff from a webnovel, but it's just there as filler when I'm bored

For grammar there's Chinese Grammar app that helped to understand the basics. For a more in depth grammar there's MandarinBean.com and if that doesn't help there's always Chinese.StackExchange.com for more niche questions

For pronounciation and listening I just picked a streamer on twitch. I like movies, so I follow AccentedCinema on youtube and plan to watch movies he has recommended or covered. There's also spotify with a chinese metal playlist and I can always rewatch genshin impact cutscenes

Side note: I also have firefox extension that works similar to Pleco screen reader, but on a web browser. Twitch chat, as chaotic as it is, still contributes to reading to some degree. At least I can point to a character and be excited I've seen it before

aaand because this isn't long enough already, there's also youtube channels like ShuoshuoChinese and GraceMandarinChinese. They help a lot with the mindset, how to think or interpret certain things from a native perspective

It's a lot of stuff, but only because I got curious. The only consistent thing I do is Ankidroid card revising and watching something in chinese for an hour or so. Everything else is there in case I get bored or if I need some clarification
Neon.png You start with an impossible goal: defeating the unbeatable enemy. And then you do whatever you gotta do to achieve it! Because even you can't know how much potential you have until you push yourself past your limits. THAT'S how you make yourself not just stronger... but stronger than you ever imagined you could be!

Qpv2mvo.pngYE53boy.pngSZfmfRv.png
fujRTIl.png
i'm very sleepy
i'm very sleepy
DNJ518h.png
OuP0IWM.pngfdUVIfW.pngANZRVK7.pngJ8QoPxT.pngBT1N47G.png
56yqAPu.png q9EEy5M.png rix3ppo.png
4kekx4D.pngSZwTK40.png2SxeZ07.pngYUzmw5z.png
“Hellsing Ultimate and Rick & Morty are technically Disney shows” is a sentence that I never thought I’d ever utter

For context: You can stream both of them on the Disney+ app. If you skim through the Disney+ streaming library it very quickly becomes apparent that the phrase “Disney owns everything now” isn’t too much of an exaggeration

Edit: grammar
“Hellsing Ultimate and Rick & Morty are technically Disney shows” is a sentence that I never thought I’d ever utter

For context: You can stream both of them on the Disney+ app. If you skim through the Disney+ streaming library it very quickly becomes apparent that the phrase “Disney owns everything now” isn’t too much of an exaggeration

Edit: grammar
6nI5sr3.png Arcane-Network.png