Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Post Your Current Thought
i'm a baddie who's gonna pass emt school if its the last thing i do dammit
i'm a baddie who's gonna pass emt school if its the last thing i do dammit
i will never understand why some people think the suffering/mistreatment of animals is funny? esp when people joke about wanting to harm small animals and describing how they want to hurt it like bro please seek help if you think that's cool or humorous. someone posting a cute pic of a baby animal is not an invitation for you to voice how much you wanna hurt it just go away.
i will never understand why some people think the suffering/mistreatment of animals is funny? esp when people joke about wanting to harm small animals and describing how they want to hurt it like bro please seek help if you think that's cool or humorous. someone posting a cute pic of a baby animal is not an invitation for you to voice how much you wanna hurt it just go away.
OjYCOIV.png
forgot the boatload of fodder i bought this morning... hah
forgot the boatload of fodder i bought this morning... hah
[quote name="skullpiercer" date="2021-03-15 18:02:09" ] i will never understand why some people think the suffering/mistreatment of animals is funny? esp when people joke about wanting to harm small animals and describing how they want to hurt it like bro please seek help if you think that's cool or humorous. someone posting a cute pic of a baby animal is not an invitation for you to voice how much you wanna hurt it just go away. [/quote] Quick clarification - are we talking serial killer levels of detail when talking about cute animal murder, or just a simple "I wanna squeeze it to death" comment? I only ask because there might be some science behind it. [s]I assume these are unnecessarily graphic levels of detail that scream "something's wrong with me", but I'm gonna tell you about the science too because it's actually pretty funky.[/s] According to quite a bit of research, the more we think something is adorable, the more we want to harm it. There's one study I remember watching a video on that had participants look at two sets of photos: one of houses, and another of cute animals. Both times, the participants were given bubble wrap to pop as they looked at the photos. On average, the participants popped more bubbles on their bubble wrap while looking at the cute photos than when looking at the boring photos. It's a really weird biological reaction called "cute aggression", and as far as my brief research dive goes, apparently this aggression is your body's way of stopping you from feeling too happy when you look at cute things. As quoted from one of the articles I browsed: "If you find yourself incapacitated by how cute a baby is - so much so that you simply can't take care of it - that baby is going to starve."
skullpiercer wrote on 2021-03-15 18:02:09:

Quick clarification - are we talking serial killer levels of detail when talking about cute animal murder, or just a simple "I wanna squeeze it to death" comment? I only ask because there might be some science behind it. I assume these are unnecessarily graphic levels of detail that scream "something's wrong with me", but I'm gonna tell you about the science too because it's actually pretty funky.

According to quite a bit of research, the more we think something is adorable, the more we want to harm it. There's one study I remember watching a video on that had participants look at two sets of photos: one of houses, and another of cute animals. Both times, the participants were given bubble wrap to pop as they looked at the photos. On average, the participants popped more bubbles on their bubble wrap while looking at the cute photos than when looking at the boring photos.

It's a really weird biological reaction called "cute aggression", and as far as my brief research dive goes, apparently this aggression is your body's way of stopping you from feeling too happy when you look at cute things. As quoted from one of the articles I browsed: "If you find yourself incapacitated by how cute a baby is - so much so that you simply can't take care of it - that baby is going to starve."
wind.gif LEpJMnn.png
BT1N47G.png
OxagJgG.png
eTmFfQ7.png
a129Nss.png
v2PJF9u.png
J7D1quC.png
E3nmoMt.png
Yw8EvNQ.png
gzlHZ53.png
40lq9We.png
WKtl2lb.png
Face into the wind
Prepare to ride the currents
Rise into the sky
So I knocked a bottle of water accidentally onto the floor and it landed somehow upright? That's extremely rare...
So I knocked a bottle of water accidentally onto the floor and it landed somehow upright? That's extremely rare...
gziv3Ja.pnged1cxgE.pngQUIpVFE.pngoouioVf.pngmlHpBMC.png
Currently on a semi-hiatus, still online frequently.
Hyperfixated on history, science, comics, and the transformers franchise.
Really sick of these manipulative strategies to get into relationships. When it works, do you seriously think you will be happy in a relationship you coerced into happening?
Really sick of these manipulative strategies to get into relationships. When it works, do you seriously think you will be happy in a relationship you coerced into happening?
bald is such a funny word. who made that word. i wanna speak to the ceo of bald
bald is such a funny word. who made that word. i wanna speak to the ceo of bald
OjYCOIV.png
bought my first car c:
not quite sure how to decorate it yet
bought my first car c:
not quite sure how to decorate it yet
o007-d01-Amorah.pngo007-d02-Amorah.pngo007-d03-Amorah.pngo007-d04-Amorah.pngs064-d01-Amorah.pngs064-d02-Amorah.pngs064-d03-Amorah.pngs064-d04-Amorah.pngs064-d05-Amorah.pngs064-d06-Amorah.pngs064-d07-Amorah.pngs064-d08-Amorah.pngs064-d09-Amorah.pngs064-d10-Amorah.pngs075-d01-Amorah.pngs075-d02-Amorah.pngs075-d03-Amorah.pngs075-d04-Amorah.pngs075-d05-Amorah.pngs075-d06-Amorah.pngo007-d05-Amorah.png
ADb9Vnz.png
I forgot how much I love browsing the SCP wiki. Tons of awesome stories on there... if only I had the motivation or the know-how to add a few writings of my own.
I forgot how much I love browsing the SCP wiki. Tons of awesome stories on there... if only I had the motivation or the know-how to add a few writings of my own.
wind.gif LEpJMnn.png
BT1N47G.png
OxagJgG.png
eTmFfQ7.png
a129Nss.png
v2PJF9u.png
J7D1quC.png
E3nmoMt.png
Yw8EvNQ.png
gzlHZ53.png
40lq9We.png
WKtl2lb.png