Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Nightmare fuel in kid's games?
I'm surprised that none has brought up the eel thing from Super Mario 64... [img]https://abload.de/img/m64eelxkx3b.jpg[/img]
I'm surprised that none has brought up the eel thing from Super Mario 64...

m64eelxkx3b.jpg
| DeviantArt |
| Sweden | +9 hours FR time | Local YGO and GW2 nerd |
KE4Ayzq.png
@buggy101
Yea, it's almost as bad as that bloody piano...
@buggy101
Yea, it's almost as bad as that bloody piano...
| DeviantArt |
| Sweden | +9 hours FR time | Local YGO and GW2 nerd |
KE4Ayzq.png
I'm not even sure this was a kids game but I had a game on PS2 called Vexx and I remember on almost all of the levels there were these tombstones and if you stood there long enough, whispering orbs of light came out of them. They scared the hell outta me when I was a kid. I can't find footage but on the wiki it says "Occasionally, a small yellow orb will float around the stones, from which distorted voices can be heard from"
I'm not even sure this was a kids game but I had a game on PS2 called Vexx and I remember on almost all of the levels there were these tombstones and if you stood there long enough, whispering orbs of light came out of them. They scared the hell outta me when I was a kid. I can't find footage but on the wiki it says "Occasionally, a small yellow orb will float around the stones, from which distorted voices can be heard from"
talVTRC.pngPVLY9UN.pngDHJ7JWN.png
The ruins of Alph mysterious radio signal
youtube.com/watch?v=iylYxStrldA
The ruins of Alph mysterious radio signal
youtube.com/watch?v=iylYxStrldA
NBeoOgB.png
I only know Zelda stuff so mildly repeating stuff but here's my list: -All of Majora's Mask. -Dead Hand and Redeads from OoT, and the hecking Redeads in Wind Waker. I don'tttttt likkeeeeeee themmmmmmmm -The sound effect that plays whenever Zant is on screen. Wonderful little violinist ripping their strings out, it sounds like -The Poes in Arbiter's Grounds. Especially when the first one points and mouths.... something. -Guardians, both Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild, but definitely in SS. The Skywatchers in BoTW are probably like freakiest, what with not knowing if they'll swoop around and see you, but the Decayed ones like to deceive you and makes exploring and seeing a husk of a Guardian a rather terrifying sequence. -Blood moons. I can't stand them. The high sounds and the deep redness, tendrils of red light seeping from the moon, it's terrifying to me. -Lizalfos deciding that they're done being invisible. -Stalnox. Imagine peacefully riding through Akkala down to the stable, and BAM. Giant skeleton on the hill. I still get shivers thinking about Dark Souls. I didn't even play, I just watched my brother play. edit: have a Poe C: [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/355530026990436353/447517240578015244/poe.jpg[/img] and a Zant, because why not? he's p cool [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/355530026990436353/447517615209054208/zant.jpg[/img]
I only know Zelda stuff so mildly repeating stuff but here's my list:

-All of Majora's Mask.
-Dead Hand and Redeads from OoT, and the hecking Redeads in Wind Waker. I don'tttttt likkeeeeeee themmmmmmmm
-The sound effect that plays whenever Zant is on screen. Wonderful little violinist ripping their strings out, it sounds like
-The Poes in Arbiter's Grounds. Especially when the first one points and mouths.... something.
-Guardians, both Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild, but definitely in SS. The Skywatchers in BoTW are probably like freakiest, what with not knowing if they'll swoop around and see you, but the Decayed ones like to deceive you and makes exploring and seeing a husk of a Guardian a rather terrifying sequence.
-Blood moons. I can't stand them. The high sounds and the deep redness, tendrils of red light seeping from the moon, it's terrifying to me.
-Lizalfos deciding that they're done being invisible.
-Stalnox. Imagine peacefully riding through Akkala down to the stable, and BAM. Giant skeleton on the hill.

I still get shivers thinking about Dark Souls. I didn't even play, I just watched my brother play.

edit: have a Poe C:
poe.jpg
and a Zant, because why not? he's p cool
zant.jpg
i need to redo my signature
casey/zoru - they/them
fr +3
mp100/spyxfamily/pokemon/loz/ace attorney
Back when I was a kid, the Dead Hand in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time terrified me! I was also extremely freaked out by Redeads and Wallmasters, though of those two, the Wallmasters especially got to me. I don't remember what Navi said about them, but she said something warning you of them, and it just made it a thousand times worse to me.

Also, the background music in Forest Temple freaked me out. Sounded like the poes were singing along with it, and it made me think they were close, ahah! (I actually found the Forest Temple to be scarier than the Shadow Temple. Funny how that works.)
Back when I was a kid, the Dead Hand in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time terrified me! I was also extremely freaked out by Redeads and Wallmasters, though of those two, the Wallmasters especially got to me. I don't remember what Navi said about them, but she said something warning you of them, and it just made it a thousand times worse to me.

Also, the background music in Forest Temple freaked me out. Sounded like the poes were singing along with it, and it made me think they were close, ahah! (I actually found the Forest Temple to be scarier than the Shadow Temple. Funny how that works.)
pixel_icon___coffee_cup_by_moth_doll-dbl7qny.gif
-- --
The Caverns of Winters

The track itself is spooky enough, but I had the misfortune of experiencing Sonic.exe before Earthbound (Sonic.exe scarred me as a kid), and I didn't find out that it was an Earthbound track until years later when I was playing it for myself. The first time I entered a cave that played it, I noped out immediately.
The Caverns of Winters

The track itself is spooky enough, but I had the misfortune of experiencing Sonic.exe before Earthbound (Sonic.exe scarred me as a kid), and I didn't find out that it was an Earthbound track until years later when I was playing it for myself. The first time I entered a cave that played it, I noped out immediately.
aaaaaaaaa
RdVh6mS.png
aa
Naomi ~ she/they ~ FR +3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Music Share | Wishlist
Art Shop | Hatchery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Writing noughts till the end of time...
Meet me where the cliffs greet the sea. ~
aa GdA4c8j.png
Not sure if anyone's spoken about this yet, but the Palace of Twilight from LoZ Twilight Princess and the Zant hands were utter nightmare fuel for me as a kid. Pretty much, the goal was to get this giant ball of light from one side of the room to the other, but you'd have to let it go or do certain things with it since the room wasn't just completely flat or anything. However, once you picked it up, a giant hand would come out and would start slowly moving towards the ball of light. You could see it's shadow if it was above you and it would just continually loom overhead and the closer it got, the louder and higher the music got. It was probably the scariest thing I encountered as a kid in a video game. [img]http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/572738/images/p21/065.jpg[/img]
Not sure if anyone's spoken about this yet, but the Palace of Twilight from LoZ Twilight Princess and the Zant hands were utter nightmare fuel for me as a kid.

Pretty much, the goal was to get this giant ball of light from one side of the room to the other, but you'd have to let it go or do certain things with it since the room wasn't just completely flat or anything. However, once you picked it up, a giant hand would come out and would start slowly moving towards the ball of light. You could see it's shadow if it was above you and it would just continually loom overhead and the closer it got, the louder and higher the music got. It was probably the scariest thing I encountered as a kid in a video game.

065.jpg
F3icfRT.png • She/her
• FR+0
• Probably floating around
in space somewhere
cnbXhtq.png
Pgv53XB.png
I remember a game I played on my Wii called The Mystery of Malgrave Island. You were a detective, following a man's orders to collect magical energy across the island so that he could save his dying daughter. But the entire island was an abandoned city, and I'm not sure what it was, but that place FREAKED ME OUT.

Perhaps the scariest part was the theater in the center of town that you had to enter to progress in the game. If you tilted the Wii remote up too much, you would look at a stone bust on the wall, and if you left it sit there for too long, the bust's EYES MOVED.

Couple that with eerie music and telephones ringing with nobody there to answer them, and I was done with that game for about five years.

Seriously though? What was my mom thinking when she bought that for 7 year old me?
I remember a game I played on my Wii called The Mystery of Malgrave Island. You were a detective, following a man's orders to collect magical energy across the island so that he could save his dying daughter. But the entire island was an abandoned city, and I'm not sure what it was, but that place FREAKED ME OUT.

Perhaps the scariest part was the theater in the center of town that you had to enter to progress in the game. If you tilted the Wii remote up too much, you would look at a stone bust on the wall, and if you left it sit there for too long, the bust's EYES MOVED.

Couple that with eerie music and telephones ringing with nobody there to answer them, and I was done with that game for about five years.

Seriously though? What was my mom thinking when she bought that for 7 year old me?
8HtYjYR.jpg art-shop-icon_orig.jpg EE6A8YJ.jpg
[quote name="Drastalblight" date="2018-05-19 18:08:02" ] Not sure if anyone's spoken about this yet, but the Palace of Twilight from LoZ Twilight Princess and the Zant hands were utter nightmare fuel for me as a kid. Pretty much, the goal was to get this giant ball of light from one side of the room to the other, but you'd have to let it go or do certain things with it since the room wasn't just completely flat or anything. However, once you picked it up, a giant hand would come out and would start slowly moving towards the ball of light. You could see it's shadow if it was above you and it would just continually loom overhead and the closer it got, the louder and higher the music got. It was probably the scariest thing I encountered as a kid in a video game. [img]http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/572738/images/p21/065.jpg[/img] [/quote] I took a long hiatus in playing this game because I ragequit during the horse cart sequence like five years ago and only recently got back into it. I could only spend about ten minutes on the Palace of Twilight before I got fully freaked out and had to turn it off. This was last month. I'm 20. D:
Drastalblight wrote on 2018-05-19 18:08:02:
Not sure if anyone's spoken about this yet, but the Palace of Twilight from LoZ Twilight Princess and the Zant hands were utter nightmare fuel for me as a kid.

Pretty much, the goal was to get this giant ball of light from one side of the room to the other, but you'd have to let it go or do certain things with it since the room wasn't just completely flat or anything. However, once you picked it up, a giant hand would come out and would start slowly moving towards the ball of light. You could see it's shadow if it was above you and it would just continually loom overhead and the closer it got, the louder and higher the music got. It was probably the scariest thing I encountered as a kid in a video game.

065.jpg

I took a long hiatus in playing this game because I ragequit during the horse cart sequence like five years ago and only recently got back into it. I could only spend about ten minutes on the Palace of Twilight before I got fully freaked out and had to turn it off. This was last month. I'm 20. D:
EWVk32n.png 2myBCp7.png vnzi22K.png EZm008o.png O0Pbuvo.png