Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Opinion on Internet Friends?
1 2 3 4
I married a friend who I met through a Scavenge match on Left 4 Dead 2.
I play Dungeons and Dragons with him over Skype, with our internet friends from California and Michigan.

I find it easier to articulate myself via technology. I've always been very insecure about my entire being. Appearance, voice, etc. To get to know someone online through text anonymously grants me a better connection point where I feel comfortable.

I was on the news the other day, and my friends have told me that I didn't look/sound that bad, it was just very obviously stage fright from being on camera. However, overhearing someone talking about it in person behind my back, I overheard that I was very cringy and it struck a hard chord and reminded me of why it's so hard to connect to people in face to face.
I married a friend who I met through a Scavenge match on Left 4 Dead 2.
I play Dungeons and Dragons with him over Skype, with our internet friends from California and Michigan.

I find it easier to articulate myself via technology. I've always been very insecure about my entire being. Appearance, voice, etc. To get to know someone online through text anonymously grants me a better connection point where I feel comfortable.

I was on the news the other day, and my friends have told me that I didn't look/sound that bad, it was just very obviously stage fright from being on camera. However, overhearing someone talking about it in person behind my back, I overheard that I was very cringy and it struck a hard chord and reminded me of why it's so hard to connect to people in face to face.
Dreams are like teacups.
They can be kept forever, yet are easily broken.
i met my absolute best friend, @souperal , online on FR and i couldn't be happier. i love them to the moon and back and i've never had a better, more caring person in my life. we even met up for the first time irl at disney in california and it was like the best day of my life!

so, needless to say, i think that online friendships are definitely worth it. i wouldn't be the happy person i am today without my internet friend.
i met my absolute best friend, @souperal , online on FR and i couldn't be happier. i love them to the moon and back and i've never had a better, more caring person in my life. we even met up for the first time irl at disney in california and it was like the best day of my life!

so, needless to say, i think that online friendships are definitely worth it. i wouldn't be the happy person i am today without my internet friend.
2dumqon.jpg

they/them | med student
martial artist
I'm glad for the internet. It's like a mask you wear to disguise your physical attributes, so people can only judge you by your personality. When I met my group of friends I was still in the midst of an H attack from ADHD that was only just beginning to taper off, so... they probably wouldn't have liked me very much had they met me in real life. And I know that because I had no real-life friends.

I'm still a little... weird thanks to anxiety, but now I at least feel confident enough to take that mask off, and I still find it a lot easier to talk online, so the physical anonymity the internet provided really helped. I don't know what I would have done without my friends.

Not to mention, without online friends, what other 18-year-old from America can say they have friends from Singapore, the Philippines, Ireland, Australia, Canada, England, and all across the US? I love the diversity. xD

Also I met my boyfriend, my best friend, and a ton of other great people so yeah, gotta love the internet. xD
I'm glad for the internet. It's like a mask you wear to disguise your physical attributes, so people can only judge you by your personality. When I met my group of friends I was still in the midst of an H attack from ADHD that was only just beginning to taper off, so... they probably wouldn't have liked me very much had they met me in real life. And I know that because I had no real-life friends.

I'm still a little... weird thanks to anxiety, but now I at least feel confident enough to take that mask off, and I still find it a lot easier to talk online, so the physical anonymity the internet provided really helped. I don't know what I would have done without my friends.

Not to mention, without online friends, what other 18-year-old from America can say they have friends from Singapore, the Philippines, Ireland, Australia, Canada, England, and all across the US? I love the diversity. xD

Also I met my boyfriend, my best friend, and a ton of other great people so yeah, gotta love the internet. xD
I have some amazing online friends- though I just think of them as my friends rather than online friends- and I met my fiancee online. We've lived together 5 years now.
The only downside I have is that I want to hug them and can't :-(
I have some amazing online friends- though I just think of them as my friends rather than online friends- and I met my fiancee online. We've lived together 5 years now.
The only downside I have is that I want to hug them and can't :-(
My best Internet Friend is around...5-4 Years older than me,but we are the same mental level I guess. It's awesome :P
My best Internet Friend is around...5-4 Years older than me,but we are the same mental level I guess. It's awesome :P
pssst... dragons for sale here
I prefer friendships over the internet to in-person ones. You get to talk to a lot of people you'd normally never interact with. I also really prefer typing to speaking because a lot of what I say is complete nonsense and it usually takes a half hour of editing until it's clear.

With internet friendships it's also a lot easier to set boundaries.
I prefer friendships over the internet to in-person ones. You get to talk to a lot of people you'd normally never interact with. I also really prefer typing to speaking because a lot of what I say is complete nonsense and it usually takes a half hour of editing until it's clear.

With internet friendships it's also a lot easier to set boundaries.
I think it's an absolutely amazing thing, that like you say is much less vain than real-life friends.
I think it's an absolutely amazing thing, that like you say is much less vain than real-life friends.
SXqaLwu.png

she/her
FR + 8/9
x
x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxart shop
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg1 sales
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxprofile dragon

I'm totally cool with having internet friends because I have anxiety while talking to people in real life. I do have friends irl but they are just as weird as I am. So i guess it kind of works out, internet or real life.
I'm totally cool with having internet friends because I have anxiety while talking to people in real life. I do have friends irl but they are just as weird as I am. So i guess it kind of works out, internet or real life.
DmRdZYl.png
I like internet friends to an extent but nothing beats being able to see my irl friends... irl. XD I prefer physical presence/being able to go out and do things with friends, though it is a lot easier to communicate online due to my severe social anxiety.
I like internet friends to an extent but nothing beats being able to see my irl friends... irl. XD I prefer physical presence/being able to go out and do things with friends, though it is a lot easier to communicate online due to my severe social anxiety.
T5GEBka.png
I honestly don't have any deep friendships in real life right now (and never have, really) so I don't have anything to compare to. But I don't see an issue with having internet friends at all. The only drawback IMO is that I'm pretty different/more awkward in real life from how I am online, so I guess that's something to consider in online friendships.
I honestly don't have any deep friendships in real life right now (and never have, really) so I don't have anything to compare to. But I don't see an issue with having internet friends at all. The only drawback IMO is that I'm pretty different/more awkward in real life from how I am online, so I guess that's something to consider in online friendships.
1 2 3 4