Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | character tropes you hate?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Lesbians finding out they are lesbians. Sick of it, very boring. Please give me books and movies with confidant gay girls thanks. And don't kill them.
Lesbians finding out they are lesbians. Sick of it, very boring. Please give me books and movies with confidant gay girls thanks. And don't kill them.
bonsai_princessparrot_1_by_auricolor-dap3vba.png
Not really a character trope but fan service in general kinda irks me. Like, it was one of the main reasons I stopped watching anime. I got sick of the continuous over-sexualization of female characters. And it of course doesn't just happen in anime. I wanna roll my eyes every time a movie/show tries to fit in a pretty female character who's just a love interest of the MC in order to pander to the male audience.

Also:
  • queer-baiting
  • negative racial and LGBT stereotypes
  • that stereotype where all smart people wear glasses ??
  • Usually because of bad screenwriting, but I hate when characters have literally no characterization after multiple seasons. Especially if it's a main character
  • When a character suffers a tragic loss or something terrible happens to them and then they seem to forget about it / are totally fine after a few episodes. what???
  • absolute lack of cool, butt-kicking female characters. And they're rarely main characters
  • ^^^Same thing with LGBT characters
  • Especially in anime, that trope where one or both of the main character's parents are dead. It's soooo overused
  • All those action movies with a million stereotypes. I like most action movies but there's a lot that make me cringe. There's always the white, male MC with some sort of military background, usually only one black character who's made a sergeant or some authority figure, the shallow wife of the MC who ends up being a damsel in distress, always no more than one bad*ss female character who dies and/or falls in love with the MC, and no LGBT characters. ugh...
  • When fandoms defend really abusive or downright evil characters
  • the whole 'Chosen One' trope
Not really a character trope but fan service in general kinda irks me. Like, it was one of the main reasons I stopped watching anime. I got sick of the continuous over-sexualization of female characters. And it of course doesn't just happen in anime. I wanna roll my eyes every time a movie/show tries to fit in a pretty female character who's just a love interest of the MC in order to pander to the male audience.

Also:
  • queer-baiting
  • negative racial and LGBT stereotypes
  • that stereotype where all smart people wear glasses ??
  • Usually because of bad screenwriting, but I hate when characters have literally no characterization after multiple seasons. Especially if it's a main character
  • When a character suffers a tragic loss or something terrible happens to them and then they seem to forget about it / are totally fine after a few episodes. what???
  • absolute lack of cool, butt-kicking female characters. And they're rarely main characters
  • ^^^Same thing with LGBT characters
  • Especially in anime, that trope where one or both of the main character's parents are dead. It's soooo overused
  • All those action movies with a million stereotypes. I like most action movies but there's a lot that make me cringe. There's always the white, male MC with some sort of military background, usually only one black character who's made a sergeant or some authority figure, the shallow wife of the MC who ends up being a damsel in distress, always no more than one bad*ss female character who dies and/or falls in love with the MC, and no LGBT characters. ugh...
  • When fandoms defend really abusive or downright evil characters
  • the whole 'Chosen One' trope
wASY1DG.png
bury your gays

BURY YOUR GAYS

BURY ! YOUR ! GAYS! NEEDS TO STOP!!
bury your gays

BURY YOUR GAYS

BURY ! YOUR ! GAYS! NEEDS TO STOP!!
"Black Guy Dies First"
every time come on now
"Black Guy Dies First"
every time come on now
ceasefire. now.
Really dumb main characters.
Thomas from The Maze Runner (made to look even dumber in the movie)
Michael from The Mortality Doctrine (also written by the same author)

Both of them are very similar and, well, don't do anything...
Really dumb main characters.
Thomas from The Maze Runner (made to look even dumber in the movie)
Michael from The Mortality Doctrine (also written by the same author)

Both of them are very similar and, well, don't do anything...
Looking for
- "runic prince" or "runic king" accent
- Sand/Oilslick/Obsidian Light Wildclaw - can you breed this?
| For sale |
| Fandergs |
___________|
BEGocSN.pngTeeny_Sprite.png
eSXu2YQ.png
[quote name="RottenSocks" date=2016-03-30 15:57:58] good guys who always have to have "good guy traits" or look attractive or be immune to everything where's the traumatized heroes? where's the self-conscious heroes? where's the selfish heroes? where's the heroes who're not always nice? where's the heroes who arent blindly trusting? where's the heroes who arent the perfect date or ideal partner? where's the heroes who've been hurt and arent immune to everything? where's the heroes who dont get the girl? where's the heroes who dont want to be in a relationship? where's the mentally ill heroes? where's the disabled heroes? where's the heroes who have issues no one wants to talk about or traits and conditions no one wants them to have bc god forbid the hero isnt absolutely perfect??? a hero doesnt mean a dashing, charming, completely selfless person who has to save the world and is a kind soul who can do no wrong. no offense to people who like those characters, but i cant stand them. they all seem so fake and unrealistic when they're the only kind of hero i see. >>note: i use hero and guy as gender neutral in this, so im not just referring to one gender, im referring to them all. [/quote] Just this. Grrrrr. I hate it when people then say "but you can't care about others without caring about yourself, so this character deep down must love themselves." Uh no? (My main character thinks he's awful and is cripplingly self conscious. Because he's traumatized.) Can I just say though this thread [b]REALLY [/b] helps me as a writer?
RottenSocks wrote on 2016-03-30:
good guys who always have to have "good guy traits" or look attractive or be immune to everything

where's the traumatized heroes? where's the self-conscious heroes? where's the selfish heroes? where's the heroes who're not always nice? where's the heroes who arent blindly trusting? where's the heroes who arent the perfect date or ideal partner? where's the heroes who've been hurt and arent immune to everything? where's the heroes who dont get the girl? where's the heroes who dont want to be in a relationship? where's the mentally ill heroes? where's the disabled heroes?
where's the heroes who have issues no one wants to talk about or traits and conditions no one wants them to have bc god forbid the hero isnt absolutely perfect???

a hero doesnt mean a dashing, charming, completely selfless person who has to save the world and is a kind soul who can do no wrong. no offense to people who like those characters, but i cant stand them. they all seem so fake and unrealistic when they're the only kind of hero i see.

>>note: i use hero and guy as gender neutral in this, so im not just referring to one gender, im referring to them all.
Just this. Grrrrr. I hate it when people then say "but you can't care about others without caring about yourself, so this character deep down must love themselves." Uh no? (My main character thinks he's awful and is cripplingly self conscious. Because he's traumatized.)

Can I just say though this thread REALLY helps me as a writer?
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
The bu**monkey. Oh my god do I hate that. It's just so frustrating watching a character to just be beaten and abused for "humor". I mean seeing an a**hole get beaten can be fun but if the person is just some avarege dude? Why????

Also oblivious idiot characters. I absolutely HATED Inspector Gadet as a kid like I could not watch one episode because of that. It's not funny it's frustrating, stop it. I mean I had no problem with the dad in case closed because at least he was a functional adult he was just lazy and jumped to conclusions.

And I just remembered adult or at least teenage girls that talk and act like 4 year olds. Thank god moe and this trope have become more rare but for a while you couldn't turn around without some bug eyed blob talking in third person in a high pitched mewling voice.
The bu**monkey. Oh my god do I hate that. It's just so frustrating watching a character to just be beaten and abused for "humor". I mean seeing an a**hole get beaten can be fun but if the person is just some avarege dude? Why????

Also oblivious idiot characters. I absolutely HATED Inspector Gadet as a kid like I could not watch one episode because of that. It's not funny it's frustrating, stop it. I mean I had no problem with the dad in case closed because at least he was a functional adult he was just lazy and jumped to conclusions.

And I just remembered adult or at least teenage girls that talk and act like 4 year olds. Thank god moe and this trope have become more rare but for a while you couldn't turn around without some bug eyed blob talking in third person in a high pitched mewling voice.
I really don't like...
A) immature idiots as main characters that influence everyone else to act more or less the same.

B) Really poorly made villains, you know, those idiots who don't have a good reason for being evil, are generic, and make really bad schemes that the main character crushes easily.

This next category I don't dislike, but this type of character makes me shiver when they come on and not in a good way. These characters leave a bad taste in my mouth yet always make my top ten because they're so well developed and their scenes are always dramatic or interesting. This category is...

Overpowered Insane sociopaths, why, because I know someone like this and they put me through some horrible things, all those characters are so familiar that it makes me uncomfortable.
I really don't like...
A) immature idiots as main characters that influence everyone else to act more or less the same.

B) Really poorly made villains, you know, those idiots who don't have a good reason for being evil, are generic, and make really bad schemes that the main character crushes easily.

This next category I don't dislike, but this type of character makes me shiver when they come on and not in a good way. These characters leave a bad taste in my mouth yet always make my top ten because they're so well developed and their scenes are always dramatic or interesting. This category is...

Overpowered Insane sociopaths, why, because I know someone like this and they put me through some horrible things, all those characters are so familiar that it makes me uncomfortable.
ONZG2xX.png
Art Sales

Lore Shop

Art Trades
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9