Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | character tropes you hate?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
-Mecha only: unwilling "chosen one" pilot.
-Cries or whines after every battle.
-"Strung by protag's charm" sidekick.
-Edgy for really no reason at all.
-Edgy because "Edgy=update of old and beloved character." I'm looking at you Superman.
-Mecha only: unwilling "chosen one" pilot.
-Cries or whines after every battle.
-"Strung by protag's charm" sidekick.
-Edgy for really no reason at all.
-Edgy because "Edgy=update of old and beloved character." I'm looking at you Superman.
My writing project.
Perhaps this one is pretty obvious, but...

I hate it when there's a female character who is incredibly skilled and she's shown up by some lil' nerdy dude character who shows up at the last second and trains for a week and is suddenly just as good as she is and takes over the whole narrative

and then they fall in love and I die

really it should just be her story, she was there first and usually she's more interesting
Perhaps this one is pretty obvious, but...

I hate it when there's a female character who is incredibly skilled and she's shown up by some lil' nerdy dude character who shows up at the last second and trains for a week and is suddenly just as good as she is and takes over the whole narrative

and then they fall in love and I die

really it should just be her story, she was there first and usually she's more interesting
- rich peppy a+ cheerleader is a total jerk but totes cute blonde
- lgbta+ people always young or teens, never older adults or elderly
- older people always discriminatory and liberal/progress people always young and hip
- "trailer trash"
- the liberal is a preachy jerk
- the conservative is a idiot
- girls just wanna have fun but their boyfriends hate being out with them
- rich peppy a+ cheerleader is a total jerk but totes cute blonde
- lgbta+ people always young or teens, never older adults or elderly
- older people always discriminatory and liberal/progress people always young and hip
- "trailer trash"
- the liberal is a preachy jerk
- the conservative is a idiot
- girls just wanna have fun but their boyfriends hate being out with them
bxbkeiO.pngtumblr_nity0dJX6D1tc28p3o7_100.pngbxbkeiO.png
Be brave, be brave, be brave, be brave, and be brave
Just the fact that we always see 'pretty girl looks past physical characteristics and ends up with geeky/nerdy/whatever boy' and almost never the other way around. :/ Though that's more of a general trope, I guess..
Just the fact that we always see 'pretty girl looks past physical characteristics and ends up with geeky/nerdy/whatever boy' and almost never the other way around. :/ Though that's more of a general trope, I guess..
sabel
| infj | server time
i really really like coatls

PYuV1yF.png

“reality is an illusion
the universe is a hologram
buy gold
bye !”
The overly smug character. Most often they come off as really annoying and pretentious. That might be the point, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy the trope.

Character dies for the sake of drama or making another character sad. It's not going to invoke the emotions you expect if your character is killed off with no reason to care or explanation. See Quicksilver from Avengers: Age of Ultron. Does this count as a spoiler at this point? This happens more often with "the female dies for the male to feel man pain" but it has been done with males too.

The overly smug character. Most often they come off as really annoying and pretentious. That might be the point, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy the trope.

Character dies for the sake of drama or making another character sad. It's not going to invoke the emotions you expect if your character is killed off with no reason to care or explanation. See Quicksilver from Avengers: Age of Ultron. Does this count as a spoiler at this point? This happens more often with "the female dies for the male to feel man pain" but it has been done with males too.

Hey, friendly reminder to drink water, stretch, and take a short break if you can. Stay healthy! Also, don't forget about any chores or tasks you might be putting off.
Nasty bad-boys.

I enjoy sarcasm and understand the cruel humor, but unless they have a reason to hate people, it's annoying. I espeically hate men in literature that randomly change personalities- like becoming romantic and self-sacrificial when meeting a girl. What? The last chapter you hated everyone?

-pokes Jace from TMI-
Nasty bad-boys.

I enjoy sarcasm and understand the cruel humor, but unless they have a reason to hate people, it's annoying. I espeically hate men in literature that randomly change personalities- like becoming romantic and self-sacrificial when meeting a girl. What? The last chapter you hated everyone?

-pokes Jace from TMI-
no
The physically perfect main characters. Not exactly a trope but what? I've read I think one book where the main character starts out with a physical problem (a heart defect) and has to overcome that too? I write a lot and most of my main characters have some physical or illness related issue before the book even starts. I find this type of story really, really interesting, and it's sad that I don't get to see more of it. My main novel is about a half blind guy. I understand that it takes a lot of time and research to get it right (believe me I know) but I really want to see more "disabled" main characters. Seems like I have to write all the books myself.
(I totally hope this doesn't sound offensive! Not meant to in any way, it's just an interesting thing for characters to overcome. Instead of just mental or external issues. Issues with their bodies not working right. It's interesting to get into someone like that's head. Like what it is to be blind. Once again, I hope no one takes this offensively! XD)
The physically perfect main characters. Not exactly a trope but what? I've read I think one book where the main character starts out with a physical problem (a heart defect) and has to overcome that too? I write a lot and most of my main characters have some physical or illness related issue before the book even starts. I find this type of story really, really interesting, and it's sad that I don't get to see more of it. My main novel is about a half blind guy. I understand that it takes a lot of time and research to get it right (believe me I know) but I really want to see more "disabled" main characters. Seems like I have to write all the books myself.
(I totally hope this doesn't sound offensive! Not meant to in any way, it's just an interesting thing for characters to overcome. Instead of just mental or external issues. Issues with their bodies not working right. It's interesting to get into someone like that's head. Like what it is to be blind. Once again, I hope no one takes this offensively! XD)
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
Shameless Mary Sues mostly. I think any Mary Sue or cliche character can be saved by good character development or even just talented writing (although that gets rid of most of the tropes anyway...). It's just when you have lore-breaking special characters who are beautiful and stronger than the main character and usually hook up with him... yeah. But I don't hate on them too much because all writers have been there, fanfiction or not, and you have to start somewhere.

Any characters from the "what if these animals/dragons/angels/etc were humans in high school" genre of fanfiction. I have yet to see any redeeming qualities from these stories...

And any characters by people who can't take gentle criticism tend to be insufferable.
Shameless Mary Sues mostly. I think any Mary Sue or cliche character can be saved by good character development or even just talented writing (although that gets rid of most of the tropes anyway...). It's just when you have lore-breaking special characters who are beautiful and stronger than the main character and usually hook up with him... yeah. But I don't hate on them too much because all writers have been there, fanfiction or not, and you have to start somewhere.

Any characters from the "what if these animals/dragons/angels/etc were humans in high school" genre of fanfiction. I have yet to see any redeeming qualities from these stories...

And any characters by people who can't take gentle criticism tend to be insufferable.

Christians as ignorant, selfish people who see themselves as better because their religion and they're depicted as bad or psycho people....I rarely ever see them as calm, rational people???

OR. Southern US people being depicted as completely ignorant and the Southern accent repeatedly used for idiotic characters. Whywhywhy.

Christians as ignorant, selfish people who see themselves as better because their religion and they're depicted as bad or psycho people....I rarely ever see them as calm, rational people???

OR. Southern US people being depicted as completely ignorant and the Southern accent repeatedly used for idiotic characters. Whywhywhy.
tVRq6jk.pngg0hFCu8.pnghmeUSax.png4c85ct1.png
[quote name="SnickerToodles" date=2016-03-25 20:40:31] Shameless Mary Sues mostly. I think any Mary Sue or cliche character can be saved by good character development or even just talented writing (although that gets rid of most of the tropes anyway...). It's just when you have lore-breaking special characters who are beautiful and stronger than the main character and usually hook up with him... yeah. But I don't hate on them too much because all writers have been there, fanfiction or not, and you have to start somewhere. Any characters from the "what if these animals/dragons/angels/etc were humans in high school" genre of fanfiction. I have yet to see any redeeming qualities from these stories... And any characters by people who can't take gentle criticism tend to be insufferable. [/quote] I admit I'm guilty of that first one. But I'm trying to fix it I promise! XD And she has her issues too. Like blaming the main character with murder, for one (yes he's also her boyfriend RIP me and my dreams of writing a fphreat novel. XD)
SnickerToodles wrote on 2016-03-25:

I admit I'm guilty of that first one. But I'm trying to fix it I promise! XD And she has her issues too. Like blaming the main character with murder, for one (yes he's also her boyfriend RIP me and my dreams of writing a fphreat novel. XD)
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9