Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Astronomy Club!
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 76 77
@ZannaDragon Have you tried playing Universe Sandbox? It's like SpaceEngine, but I can't say if it's better or worse. I just can't compare them really. Just thought you might wanna check it out! :D Also am I a member now?? :o ive never been in an astronomy club before
@ZannaDragon Have you tried playing Universe Sandbox? It's like SpaceEngine, but I can't say if it's better or worse. I just can't compare them really. Just thought you might wanna check it out! :D Also am I a member now?? :o ive never been in an astronomy club before
| Wishlist | FR +10 |
i9ilGii.png
@Reltseo

No problem! You may want to make sure that you get the base "SpaceEngine 0.7.2" and not "0.7.3", as 0.7.3 is actually a patch. that I haven't figured out how to install yet Also, it does require a computer with at least these specs to run properly:

1. CPU---2.0Ghz
  2. RAM---2.0GB
  3. Video---512MB

I think as long as your computer is average or above average, you should be able to run it just fine.

Also, OMG Zooniverse!!!!! I love that so much!!! I found it through The Andromeda Project, and even though it was already finished I spent hours classifying because it was just so dang cool :) And then I moved on to the others, Planet Hunters, Milky Way Project (OMG gorgeous), even Cell Slider and Seafloor Explorer and the other non-astronomy ones. But by far my favorite was Galaxy Zoo!!! I love galaxies, and here I was getting to look at all these distant galaxies to help science, and maybe even be the first person to see one of them! Then it got 9999999x more awesome to me in a single realization:

See, I had always wondered what the little "SDSS" next to the images meant. (Not enough to google it, there was galaxy classifying to be done!) Then I started reading my favorite astronomy book of all time, "A Grand and Bold Thing", and started to fall in love with the Sloan Digital Sky Survey. About halfway through, I started to put 2 and 2 together, and realized that SDSS meant Sloan Digital Sky Survey, and I was doing science for the #1 best project in astronomy to me!

Anyhow, Zooniverse is awesome. Thank you for reminding me :)

Clear Skies!
@Reltseo

No problem! You may want to make sure that you get the base "SpaceEngine 0.7.2" and not "0.7.3", as 0.7.3 is actually a patch. that I haven't figured out how to install yet Also, it does require a computer with at least these specs to run properly:

1. CPU---2.0Ghz
  2. RAM---2.0GB
  3. Video---512MB

I think as long as your computer is average or above average, you should be able to run it just fine.

Also, OMG Zooniverse!!!!! I love that so much!!! I found it through The Andromeda Project, and even though it was already finished I spent hours classifying because it was just so dang cool :) And then I moved on to the others, Planet Hunters, Milky Way Project (OMG gorgeous), even Cell Slider and Seafloor Explorer and the other non-astronomy ones. But by far my favorite was Galaxy Zoo!!! I love galaxies, and here I was getting to look at all these distant galaxies to help science, and maybe even be the first person to see one of them! Then it got 9999999x more awesome to me in a single realization:

See, I had always wondered what the little "SDSS" next to the images meant. (Not enough to google it, there was galaxy classifying to be done!) Then I started reading my favorite astronomy book of all time, "A Grand and Bold Thing", and started to fall in love with the Sloan Digital Sky Survey. About halfway through, I started to put 2 and 2 together, and realized that SDSS meant Sloan Digital Sky Survey, and I was doing science for the #1 best project in astronomy to me!

Anyhow, Zooniverse is awesome. Thank you for reminding me :)

Clear Skies!
@roboticspace

Yeah, I have Universe Sandbox 2! It's also very fun. They're very different beasts, and honestly I recommend both :) Universe Sandbox 2 is much more of a realistic physics simulation, but you can't go big picture or exploring, really. But you can also tweak orbits and launch planets and feed gas to a star until it goes supernova, so it earns a 10 on the funness scale *evil grin*

Also, you're a member now! Buut it seems like I forgot to add you to the member's list! I'm sorry about that, I was getting a lot of member requests in a short amount of time and I guess I missed you. You've been added now :) Sorry again, I hope I didn't worry you!

(hey, some new images came back from the SSO robotic telescopes just now and are downloading, so I'll be putting them up in a bit if they're any good!)

Clear Skies!
@roboticspace

Yeah, I have Universe Sandbox 2! It's also very fun. They're very different beasts, and honestly I recommend both :) Universe Sandbox 2 is much more of a realistic physics simulation, but you can't go big picture or exploring, really. But you can also tweak orbits and launch planets and feed gas to a star until it goes supernova, so it earns a 10 on the funness scale *evil grin*

Also, you're a member now! Buut it seems like I forgot to add you to the member's list! I'm sorry about that, I was getting a lot of member requests in a short amount of time and I guess I missed you. You've been added now :) Sorry again, I hope I didn't worry you!

(hey, some new images came back from the SSO robotic telescopes just now and are downloading, so I'll be putting them up in a bit if they're any good!)

Clear Skies!
@ZannaDragon Yeah, it's really really fun! The first time I played it I managed to blow up the sun. And then I proceeded to launch planets into black holes. That was a fun one! c:

Oh, great, thanks for letting me know, I was kinda confused there! ^^;

By the by, forgive me for being forward, but I was wondering if you wanted a banner of sorts? Like something with a fancy space background or anything? Because I have quite a few ideas and honestly I'd love to work on something, do let me know!
@ZannaDragon Yeah, it's really really fun! The first time I played it I managed to blow up the sun. And then I proceeded to launch planets into black holes. That was a fun one! c:

Oh, great, thanks for letting me know, I was kinda confused there! ^^;

By the by, forgive me for being forward, but I was wondering if you wanted a banner of sorts? Like something with a fancy space background or anything? Because I have quite a few ideas and honestly I'd love to work on something, do let me know!
| Wishlist | FR +10 |
i9ilGii.png
@roboticspace

Those are the fun ones XD

Yes, that would be awesome!! I might make a badge eventually, but I would LOVE it if you would make a banner!! I do have one request: If you do a spacey background please use a real space photo, but you don't have to. I don't want to place any restrictions on your creativity! I was going to make a banner eventually, but I was not looking forward to it. Thanks again! :)

Clear Skies!
@roboticspace

Those are the fun ones XD

Yes, that would be awesome!! I might make a badge eventually, but I would LOVE it if you would make a banner!! I do have one request: If you do a spacey background please use a real space photo, but you don't have to. I don't want to place any restrictions on your creativity! I was going to make a banner eventually, but I was not looking forward to it. Thanks again! :)

Clear Skies!
@ZannaDragon Awesome! I'll try my best to make it look great! Do you have in mind a size that you'd like the banner to be? I'm not really sure myself haha ^-^
@ZannaDragon Awesome! I'll try my best to make it look great! Do you have in mind a size that you'd like the banner to be? I'm not really sure myself haha ^-^
| Wishlist | FR +10 |
i9ilGii.png
@roboticspace

Hmmm... Standard forum size is 490px wide, and if we want it to be used as a signature, it should be about 100px tall. (My forum signature is 490x94) But I think for a thread heading 490x150 might be a better size. I'm going to be making a badge that people can have in their signature, so you can make it either forum heading or signature sized (after all, we can always use a signature as a forum heading!)

Summary: 490x100 or 490x150.

Clear Skies!
@roboticspace

Hmmm... Standard forum size is 490px wide, and if we want it to be used as a signature, it should be about 100px tall. (My forum signature is 490x94) But I think for a thread heading 490x150 might be a better size. I'm going to be making a badge that people can have in their signature, so you can make it either forum heading or signature sized (after all, we can always use a signature as a forum heading!)

Summary: 490x100 or 490x150.

Clear Skies!
@ZannaDragon How's this for a first idea? I wasn't sure if the stars ended up looking okay or not, please tell me! And also is there anything in particular that you'd like me to add or anything? :D This is a very early stage though, I'll try to improve it! [img]http://i.imgur.com/vE76SU8.png[/img]
@ZannaDragon How's this for a first idea? I wasn't sure if the stars ended up looking okay or not, please tell me! And also is there anything in particular that you'd like me to add or anything? :D This is a very early stage though, I'll try to improve it!

vE76SU8.png
| Wishlist | FR +10 |
i9ilGii.png
@roboticspace

OMG THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love it!!!! Thank you so much!!!!! The stars look great! Really the only thing I can think of that could be done to improve would be to anti-alias the words slightly... Honestly though it's already so awesome I don't think it needs much more improving! Thanks again, this is great :)

(I'll add it to the post as soon as you give the ok since you said this was an early stage)

Clear Skies!
@roboticspace

OMG THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love it!!!! Thank you so much!!!!! The stars look great! Really the only thing I can think of that could be done to improve would be to anti-alias the words slightly... Honestly though it's already so awesome I don't think it needs much more improving! Thanks again, this is great :)

(I'll add it to the post as soon as you give the ok since you said this was an early stage)

Clear Skies!
@ZannaDragon

Could I join? I'm a complete amateur, but I really like space!
@ZannaDragon

Could I join? I'm a complete amateur, but I really like space!
DyYwZkw.png
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 76 77