Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Mental Illness
1 2 3 4 5 6
Yeah, hey, I have depression, anxiety, and unspecified eating disorder. Woo.

Lucky me, depression is genetic in my family so I've been battling that since 8th grade (I'll be 24 in November). Anxiety is newer, since like 3 or 4 years ago? Maybe longer. It's one of those things I didn't notice until I started having anxiety attacks. And the eating disorder thing....bleh.

Therapy has been good for me but I really recommend learning about different types and being willing to try out different things. I've done group several times (yay for university resources being overloaded and sticking people into group therapy) and it was fine for a while but I'm more "advanced" than a lot of people (my last group had people who had never interacted with a depressed person before) so I'm moving back to individual.

I got on meds in January for the first time since the depression got extremely bad last fall/winter. Been playing that game now for a while....I don't remember much of April actually! lol so yeah, flunked my whole Spring semester this year and trying to fix that. I'm on a good combo of meds now so fingers crossed.

In regards to leaving school cause of mental illness, it's just a thing that has to happen sometimes. I got forced into it - put on probation due to GPA - and took a year and a half of before going back. It sucks. All my friends have graduated (I have a 35 year old friend who went back to college and did a 4yr degree in 2yrs in the time it took me to do 3 semesters) so that blows. But you're not them. And they don't (necessarily) have to deal with what you have to deal with.

For me, the key is to remember that I have mental illness. I am sick. That's who I am and sickness is gonna affect me! I wouldn't expect someone with the flu to do their normal every day things, so how can I expect me to function 100% neurotypically if I'm ill?

Okay I meant for this to be more uplifting and inspiring but I'm feeling the weight of it all today (I haven't been to much of my classes because of getting back on meds and that funkiness). Sigh.

It's okay for things to suck. It's okay to have hope for things to get better. It's okay to keep going and it's okay to not want to. Just remember that you have survived every day up until now and that's amazing. Keep beating your days existing record.
Yeah, hey, I have depression, anxiety, and unspecified eating disorder. Woo.

Lucky me, depression is genetic in my family so I've been battling that since 8th grade (I'll be 24 in November). Anxiety is newer, since like 3 or 4 years ago? Maybe longer. It's one of those things I didn't notice until I started having anxiety attacks. And the eating disorder thing....bleh.

Therapy has been good for me but I really recommend learning about different types and being willing to try out different things. I've done group several times (yay for university resources being overloaded and sticking people into group therapy) and it was fine for a while but I'm more "advanced" than a lot of people (my last group had people who had never interacted with a depressed person before) so I'm moving back to individual.

I got on meds in January for the first time since the depression got extremely bad last fall/winter. Been playing that game now for a while....I don't remember much of April actually! lol so yeah, flunked my whole Spring semester this year and trying to fix that. I'm on a good combo of meds now so fingers crossed.

In regards to leaving school cause of mental illness, it's just a thing that has to happen sometimes. I got forced into it - put on probation due to GPA - and took a year and a half of before going back. It sucks. All my friends have graduated (I have a 35 year old friend who went back to college and did a 4yr degree in 2yrs in the time it took me to do 3 semesters) so that blows. But you're not them. And they don't (necessarily) have to deal with what you have to deal with.

For me, the key is to remember that I have mental illness. I am sick. That's who I am and sickness is gonna affect me! I wouldn't expect someone with the flu to do their normal every day things, so how can I expect me to function 100% neurotypically if I'm ill?

Okay I meant for this to be more uplifting and inspiring but I'm feeling the weight of it all today (I haven't been to much of my classes because of getting back on meds and that funkiness). Sigh.

It's okay for things to suck. It's okay to have hope for things to get better. It's okay to keep going and it's okay to not want to. Just remember that you have survived every day up until now and that's amazing. Keep beating your days existing record.
ermagerdglerdkerper_zpsf96bb327.pngtumblr_inline_nbe8e2NZyN1qg78ij.png
@Grr I have depression, anxiety and OCD. Right now depression is kicking my butt, but I see a therapist every week and I'm going back to the psychiatrist to see if we can figure out some sort of medication plan. I feel like the stuff I'm on isn't doing it's job right now. I'm literally tired of being tired and fatigued all the time. Doesn't help that I can't sleep at all during the night either...

I know you might feel ashamed of being in therapy, but it's much better that you're getting help instead of doing nothing at all. I've been in denial about my problems at times, only for things to get to a crisis point because I waited too long. It's better to get help than not get any at all.
@Grr I have depression, anxiety and OCD. Right now depression is kicking my butt, but I see a therapist every week and I'm going back to the psychiatrist to see if we can figure out some sort of medication plan. I feel like the stuff I'm on isn't doing it's job right now. I'm literally tired of being tired and fatigued all the time. Doesn't help that I can't sleep at all during the night either...

I know you might feel ashamed of being in therapy, but it's much better that you're getting help instead of doing nothing at all. I've been in denial about my problems at times, only for things to get to a crisis point because I waited too long. It's better to get help than not get any at all.
nPEtuOq.png SILN8af.gif VO3icXF.png
I have undiagnosed bipolar (I've read a lot about mental illness critically and I observe my behaviour, so please spare me the URJUSTSELFDIAGNOSINGFORATTENTION judgment, I'm 27 years old and have known this since late teens), because getting an official diagnosis might cause a lot of stigma with continuing a career in my field (doctor/employer confidentiality laws are kinda fuzzy where I live, as far as I know), and I have anxiety, which I do get medication for - I've found meds that are mostly sold in mine and a few surrounding countries, which act on the limbic system and bypass dopamine receptors, so there are very few side effects and no withdrawal, and these do really work for me.
Also, these things are occasionally exacerbated by my thyroid disorder, but I guess I'm mostly functional, can hold a job (with various amounts of crying outside of it, lol).
There's group therapy in town that I've been thinking about looking into, because it's much more affordable than individual therapy - and therapist-shopping might be pretty difficult for me, since I've worked out quite well for myself where my anxiety and self-esteem issues come from and I try to change my thinking patterns and behaviour on my own - but the group meetings are at times that are very inconvenient for me, so I haven't visited them. But perhaps someday!

So yeah, while things are sometimes quite sucky and right now I'm fighting apathy that's constantly on the edge of my vision, so to say, I'm grateful that I'm functional enough.

Stay strong, everybody.
I have undiagnosed bipolar (I've read a lot about mental illness critically and I observe my behaviour, so please spare me the URJUSTSELFDIAGNOSINGFORATTENTION judgment, I'm 27 years old and have known this since late teens), because getting an official diagnosis might cause a lot of stigma with continuing a career in my field (doctor/employer confidentiality laws are kinda fuzzy where I live, as far as I know), and I have anxiety, which I do get medication for - I've found meds that are mostly sold in mine and a few surrounding countries, which act on the limbic system and bypass dopamine receptors, so there are very few side effects and no withdrawal, and these do really work for me.
Also, these things are occasionally exacerbated by my thyroid disorder, but I guess I'm mostly functional, can hold a job (with various amounts of crying outside of it, lol).
There's group therapy in town that I've been thinking about looking into, because it's much more affordable than individual therapy - and therapist-shopping might be pretty difficult for me, since I've worked out quite well for myself where my anxiety and self-esteem issues come from and I try to change my thinking patterns and behaviour on my own - but the group meetings are at times that are very inconvenient for me, so I haven't visited them. But perhaps someday!

So yeah, while things are sometimes quite sucky and right now I'm fighting apathy that's constantly on the edge of my vision, so to say, I'm grateful that I'm functional enough.

Stay strong, everybody.
ZPPY.png
@Grr
Therapy is an awesome thing. Easier said than done, but try not to fault yourself for needing time to deal with these things. Those other people that look like they're kicking *** at life - they didn't have to work for their personal happiness (if they even have it) like you will have to. Sure, no one has it easy, but having it harder than most will allow you to appreciate the happiness you eventually attain even more, and it shows true strength of character that other people never have to develop.

I am diagnosed with bipolar 1, dissociative identity disorder, and cPTSD. I am on my second year of doing nothing aside from some light volunteering in research. I want to go to graduate school, but I don't know if I can - my mental issues contributed to me getting a terrible GPA, and while I have made great strides with my bipolar, my DID and cPTSD continues to mess me up more than I'm comfortable with. I'm looking at many more years of therapy.

Therapy is awesome.
@Grr
Therapy is an awesome thing. Easier said than done, but try not to fault yourself for needing time to deal with these things. Those other people that look like they're kicking *** at life - they didn't have to work for their personal happiness (if they even have it) like you will have to. Sure, no one has it easy, but having it harder than most will allow you to appreciate the happiness you eventually attain even more, and it shows true strength of character that other people never have to develop.

I am diagnosed with bipolar 1, dissociative identity disorder, and cPTSD. I am on my second year of doing nothing aside from some light volunteering in research. I want to go to graduate school, but I don't know if I can - my mental issues contributed to me getting a terrible GPA, and while I have made great strides with my bipolar, my DID and cPTSD continues to mess me up more than I'm comfortable with. I'm looking at many more years of therapy.

Therapy is awesome.
@Amura
My boyfriend is schizotypal as well. It's very interesting, and he gets so stressed out during 'episodes'. He's unmedicated at the moment, as he doesn't have funds to get meds, and the state is taking ages to process his paper work. My cat helps him immensely, as well as grounding (i have crystal spheres, and the texture, weight and temperature help him a ton).

I have anxiety and depression. And, sadly, no amount of therapy will help. I was doing awesome for a while, taking an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant and then Wellbutrin, which helps with the lows. It's frustrating, because it wears off, and i'm pretty sure i'll have to switch meds, which i hate the thought of needing something 'stronger' or having to deal with myself while I adjust to new meds, and then there's the fear of becoming a zombie from them, along with all the side effects i get to deal with, not to mention coming off of those meds if they don't work.

It's enough to make me never want to go back to the doctor. I'm 25 and my dad usually has to make appointments for me or I won't make them/go. >.>
@Amura
My boyfriend is schizotypal as well. It's very interesting, and he gets so stressed out during 'episodes'. He's unmedicated at the moment, as he doesn't have funds to get meds, and the state is taking ages to process his paper work. My cat helps him immensely, as well as grounding (i have crystal spheres, and the texture, weight and temperature help him a ton).

I have anxiety and depression. And, sadly, no amount of therapy will help. I was doing awesome for a while, taking an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant and then Wellbutrin, which helps with the lows. It's frustrating, because it wears off, and i'm pretty sure i'll have to switch meds, which i hate the thought of needing something 'stronger' or having to deal with myself while I adjust to new meds, and then there's the fear of becoming a zombie from them, along with all the side effects i get to deal with, not to mention coming off of those meds if they don't work.

It's enough to make me never want to go back to the doctor. I'm 25 and my dad usually has to make appointments for me or I won't make them/go. >.>
Funny this thread shows up, was just gonna make one...

Today I finally confronted my mother about needing to go someplace serious since I'm still on her insurance at 24 even though I live some ways away on my own and have for years now. She took it well, way better than I expected.

Anyway,
I have been in therapy before as well as diagnosed with anxiety and depression, but everything is catching up to me after a 5 year abusive relationship.

I've begun disassociating, blacking out, become violent, nonverbal, obsessive, etc to my partner and my friends.
It's really bad. To the point I am scaring people and it is starting to affect my workplace performance.

So... yeah. Hopefully today starts. I suspect I may have BPD, we'll see :\
Funny this thread shows up, was just gonna make one...

Today I finally confronted my mother about needing to go someplace serious since I'm still on her insurance at 24 even though I live some ways away on my own and have for years now. She took it well, way better than I expected.

Anyway,
I have been in therapy before as well as diagnosed with anxiety and depression, but everything is catching up to me after a 5 year abusive relationship.

I've begun disassociating, blacking out, become violent, nonverbal, obsessive, etc to my partner and my friends.
It's really bad. To the point I am scaring people and it is starting to affect my workplace performance.

So... yeah. Hopefully today starts. I suspect I may have BPD, we'll see :\
Δ KUJJm1Z.gif 6XeGCFj.gif Ω
Haven't gone to therapy, mainly because I'm not a danger to myself so they legally can't force me and I'm stubborn and refuse to go on my own. It would probably be a good idea, but I'm essentially on the same boat as you with the whole 'wanting to function like a normal human being' paired with extreme stubbornness and determination.

I have anxiety, OCD, and PTSD.
Haven't gone to therapy, mainly because I'm not a danger to myself so they legally can't force me and I'm stubborn and refuse to go on my own. It would probably be a good idea, but I'm essentially on the same boat as you with the whole 'wanting to function like a normal human being' paired with extreme stubbornness and determination.

I have anxiety, OCD, and PTSD.
plague_banner_by_silverybeast-d7eggdt.png
I have anxiety, and I'm really struggling with it at the minute. I feel like I can't talk to anyone about it either, because so many people have told me things like I'm using it as an excuse or their anxiety is worse than mine, so I'm feeling pretty isolated, which is definitely not helping but the people I've talked to about it have just made me feel like I shouldn't be talking about it. I'm sure therapy would probably help, but right now I'm not comfortable doing that. I know there are people who are making it worse, but I can't cut them out of my life without making more problems for myself. I'm getting to the point where I feel like I can't do anything and everything is overwhelming me and I can't make simple decisions any more and everything just sucks :/
I have anxiety, and I'm really struggling with it at the minute. I feel like I can't talk to anyone about it either, because so many people have told me things like I'm using it as an excuse or their anxiety is worse than mine, so I'm feeling pretty isolated, which is definitely not helping but the people I've talked to about it have just made me feel like I shouldn't be talking about it. I'm sure therapy would probably help, but right now I'm not comfortable doing that. I know there are people who are making it worse, but I can't cut them out of my life without making more problems for myself. I'm getting to the point where I feel like I can't do anything and everything is overwhelming me and I can't make simple decisions any more and everything just sucks :/
Calenmiriel_Umbra.png
GMT | FR + 8
@Calenmiriel

The point of a disorder is that it adversely affects your life. And your anxiety fits that criteria. So for someone to try and play the 'I have it worse than you so shut up' does nothing to help you and honestly ends up hurting you.

Should you decide to go to therapy (and I hope you do eventually get there!), it will help out in the long run. You may even find that you need medication to help better manage it, or therapy may just be all you need. No right or wrong way to do it as long as you're making an effort to try and get it under control as best you can.

Hmm...if you might be willing to try this, it could help you. It's CBT and while I can only talk about how it's affected me, it has indeed helped quite a lot. I know the site is for BPD, but it can work for depression, anxiety disorders and so forth. It's not a cure and it might not help since everyone reacts differently, but it wouldn't hurt to see for yourself.

http://www.bpdrecovery.com/untwist-your-thinking

I'd also like to point out that while I can talk about my experiences and what works for me, I still strongly recommend that you see a therapist since they'd know way more about this than I.
@Calenmiriel

The point of a disorder is that it adversely affects your life. And your anxiety fits that criteria. So for someone to try and play the 'I have it worse than you so shut up' does nothing to help you and honestly ends up hurting you.

Should you decide to go to therapy (and I hope you do eventually get there!), it will help out in the long run. You may even find that you need medication to help better manage it, or therapy may just be all you need. No right or wrong way to do it as long as you're making an effort to try and get it under control as best you can.

Hmm...if you might be willing to try this, it could help you. It's CBT and while I can only talk about how it's affected me, it has indeed helped quite a lot. I know the site is for BPD, but it can work for depression, anxiety disorders and so forth. It's not a cure and it might not help since everyone reacts differently, but it wouldn't hurt to see for yourself.

http://www.bpdrecovery.com/untwist-your-thinking

I'd also like to point out that while I can talk about my experiences and what works for me, I still strongly recommend that you see a therapist since they'd know way more about this than I.
Coelum Ad Proelium Elige
I own the most wonderful Shiba Inus named Jiro and Lou!
tumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.pngtumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.pngtumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.png
What do Shiba Inus~ like to dream about? Is it dancing Hainus?
@shotinthedark that actually looks like it might be helpful, I'll definitely give that a try, thank you. I know going to see a therapist is probably the best thing for me to do, but right now I'm just not sure I'm ready to do that yet, but that's also making me feel worse because I can't do something that could help me. I'm just really tired of not being able to do things :/

I'm hoping things are going to be better once I'm back at uni, I'll be able to start doing archery again which helps, and I think it's going to be good to have some structure in my life again, I'm going to try and avoid the people who are making me feel bad and take some more time for myself, definitely try what you've just linked me, but if I don't feel like things are improving there's a friend I've been getting close to lately who I think I'd be comfortable talking to about this.

Thanks again for linking that, I appreciate it : )
@shotinthedark that actually looks like it might be helpful, I'll definitely give that a try, thank you. I know going to see a therapist is probably the best thing for me to do, but right now I'm just not sure I'm ready to do that yet, but that's also making me feel worse because I can't do something that could help me. I'm just really tired of not being able to do things :/

I'm hoping things are going to be better once I'm back at uni, I'll be able to start doing archery again which helps, and I think it's going to be good to have some structure in my life again, I'm going to try and avoid the people who are making me feel bad and take some more time for myself, definitely try what you've just linked me, but if I don't feel like things are improving there's a friend I've been getting close to lately who I think I'd be comfortable talking to about this.

Thanks again for linking that, I appreciate it : )
Calenmiriel_Umbra.png
GMT | FR + 8
1 2 3 4 5 6