Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | A small fact about yourself!
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28 29
I love insects. I have a dead cicada in my room. I'd like to learn how to pin it, but I think I need to rehydrate it. I don't know how to do that either.

@RaspberryCash
I crochet and I'm only 18. I don't think its weird to knit at this age. I've been meaning to learn, but there are so many crochet patterns that I want to make that I have a hard time convincing myself to take the time to learn.
I love insects. I have a dead cicada in my room. I'd like to learn how to pin it, but I think I need to rehydrate it. I don't know how to do that either.

@RaspberryCash
I crochet and I'm only 18. I don't think its weird to knit at this age. I've been meaning to learn, but there are so many crochet patterns that I want to make that I have a hard time convincing myself to take the time to learn.
CSlUWkg.png
hmm...a fact. most of my dreams involve slightly macabre mysteries in really detailed & specific settings that I wind up trying to solve.

@Bovinae has it been dead for quite some time? if so you can make a relaxing jar. just put some cloth or cotton balls in a jar, thoroughly dampen it with water and a tiny bit of ethyl acetate, and put a layer of cardboard over it (make sure that the cardboard's slightly above the cloth/cotton so it doesn't get soaked as well). then you can put the cicada in, screw on the lid, and wait several days until it's ready to pin!
hmm...a fact. most of my dreams involve slightly macabre mysteries in really detailed & specific settings that I wind up trying to solve.

@Bovinae has it been dead for quite some time? if so you can make a relaxing jar. just put some cloth or cotton balls in a jar, thoroughly dampen it with water and a tiny bit of ethyl acetate, and put a layer of cardboard over it (make sure that the cardboard's slightly above the cloth/cotton so it doesn't get soaked as well). then you can put the cicada in, screw on the lid, and wait several days until it's ready to pin!
she/they | adult human
art twitter
@Radioshark
Another member of migraine crew, nice (awful, actually). I know what you mean about them being set off by everything. I'm pretty sure there are people who think I'm lying when every I have to go into why exactly they can't do things around me. But they can also deal with it, 'cuz I'm not gonna risk one, just 'cause someone wants to use drink sprite, or cut onions next to me.

About me?
I make lace? Needle tatting and bobbin lace. I'm not great at it, 'cause sometimes I can't do it for stretches of time, because life or because I have to take breaks since too much eyestrain gives me a migraine. ;__;
@Radioshark
Another member of migraine crew, nice (awful, actually). I know what you mean about them being set off by everything. I'm pretty sure there are people who think I'm lying when every I have to go into why exactly they can't do things around me. But they can also deal with it, 'cuz I'm not gonna risk one, just 'cause someone wants to use drink sprite, or cut onions next to me.

About me?
I make lace? Needle tatting and bobbin lace. I'm not great at it, 'cause sometimes I can't do it for stretches of time, because life or because I have to take breaks since too much eyestrain gives me a migraine. ;__;
sl1ij5o.pngDHyp0Qb.png krGXgY3.png9RjlOli.png9IQ25Kh.png
@cniht
Oh! That sounds really easy. I'll have to do that when I have some free time. I'd love to pin and frame it to hang one my wall.
Also, I love your signature! So cute.

@InfectiousPants
Ooh, I've been wanting to learn needle tatting! You should share some pictures of lace you've made! If you're comfortable with doing so.
@cniht
Oh! That sounds really easy. I'll have to do that when I have some free time. I'd love to pin and frame it to hang one my wall.
Also, I love your signature! So cute.

@InfectiousPants
Ooh, I've been wanting to learn needle tatting! You should share some pictures of lace you've made! If you're comfortable with doing so.
CSlUWkg.png
@Bovinae ahah thank you! I'm an insect lover as well and cicadas are my absolute favorite~ I bet it'll look really great framed (I took a class that involved pinning insects so if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message).
@Bovinae ahah thank you! I'm an insect lover as well and cicadas are my absolute favorite~ I bet it'll look really great framed (I took a class that involved pinning insects so if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message).
she/they | adult human
art twitter
@Bovinae Unfortunately, I've lost a lot of the tatting pics I had, and I just have a few sad ones from when I was starting out D: What's great tho is that even since I started a few years ago, there seems to be a lot more teaching videos (for tatting in general, but especially needle) on youtube. There was, like, nothing when I started. These are unpressed and from back in the day. It's my way of saying, don't be afraid to be bad when starting out. [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/Blood_Soaked_Fear/Mine/snowstar.png[/img] [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/Blood_Soaked_Fear/Mine/effthis.jpg[/img] [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/Blood_Soaked_Fear/101229-231612.jpg[/img] I still have nightmares about that middle one.
@Bovinae
Unfortunately, I've lost a lot of the tatting pics I had, and I just have a few sad ones from when I was starting out D:
What's great tho is that even since I started a few years ago, there seems to be a lot more teaching videos (for tatting in general, but especially needle) on youtube. There was, like, nothing when I started.

These are unpressed and from back in the day. It's my way of saying, don't be afraid to be bad when starting out.
snowstar.png
effthis.jpg
101229-231612.jpg

I still have nightmares about that middle one.
Whenever I'm listening to music on my own in the car or on the bus, I have a habit of sort of playing along like I'm on a piano. Curse these pianist fingers haha.
Whenever I'm listening to music on my own in the car or on the bus, I have a habit of sort of playing along like I'm on a piano. Curse these pianist fingers haha.
dyOu5Oa.png tumblr_inline_n6kdviAEBO1qlye38.gif PQjgjcl.png
@cniht
I love cicadas too. Moths, beetles, and cicadas are my faves. The one I have was actually a gift from a friend because we kept hearing cicadas and wanted to go hunting for them. He ended up finding one and gave it to me :^)

@Infectiouspants
Wow, you must be really good now if you think those are bad. I mean, I guess I can't really tell the difference. Those look really nice to me. I am impressed :^)
@cniht
I love cicadas too. Moths, beetles, and cicadas are my faves. The one I have was actually a gift from a friend because we kept hearing cicadas and wanted to go hunting for them. He ended up finding one and gave it to me :^)

@Infectiouspants
Wow, you must be really good now if you think those are bad. I mean, I guess I can't really tell the difference. Those look really nice to me. I am impressed :^)
CSlUWkg.png
@Bovinae
Thanks! It's also hard to tell with my old photos. I had a lot of tension issues and just some of those odd problems that occur when you're new to something. I still do!
It's pretty easy to start needle tatting, and once the muscle memory is there, it's pretty easy to enjoy while listening to music or watching tv or w/e.
I have a really hard time doing larger projects with it though, because of the way moving stitches onto the core thread works. So, it's great for medallions, snowflakes, and the smaller designs. I'm working on learning to shuttle tat so I can work on doilies n junk.
@Bovinae
Thanks! It's also hard to tell with my old photos. I had a lot of tension issues and just some of those odd problems that occur when you're new to something. I still do!
It's pretty easy to start needle tatting, and once the muscle memory is there, it's pretty easy to enjoy while listening to music or watching tv or w/e.
I have a really hard time doing larger projects with it though, because of the way moving stitches onto the core thread works. So, it's great for medallions, snowflakes, and the smaller designs. I'm working on learning to shuttle tat so I can work on doilies n junk.
I have synesthesia. More specifically--I have audio-visual and audio-gustatory synesthesia. When I'm listening to just about anything, I can see colors and patterns, and often also taste certain things. My second ex-sister-in-law's voice has a horrid black licorice taste.
I have synesthesia. More specifically--I have audio-visual and audio-gustatory synesthesia. When I'm listening to just about anything, I can see colors and patterns, and often also taste certain things. My second ex-sister-in-law's voice has a horrid black licorice taste.
rlfh5f.jpg
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28 29