Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | some favorite obscure games?
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
My favorite obscure game would have to be Dog's Life back on Playstation 2. I'm not even sure how I got hold of it, my parents might have gotten it for me for Christmas. But it ended up being one of my most loved games of all time! It has a great soundtrack (that I still need to download...) fun gameplay and tasks, and you play as a dog running through the countryside. What could be better?!

There was a sequel that I never got around to playing, I'm hoping to find that sometime and try it out.
My favorite obscure game would have to be Dog's Life back on Playstation 2. I'm not even sure how I got hold of it, my parents might have gotten it for me for Christmas. But it ended up being one of my most loved games of all time! It has a great soundtrack (that I still need to download...) fun gameplay and tasks, and you play as a dog running through the countryside. What could be better?!

There was a sequel that I never got around to playing, I'm hoping to find that sometime and try it out.
Volunteer Moderator
If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation please feel free to use the Contact Us form. These submissions are viewed solely by the Flight Rising staff, not the volunteer moderator group.
XRwFykP.png

I'm just going to gently leave Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura here and go back to rolling around in the string-quartet-soundtrack and trying to figure out what breed of dragon Virgil would be.
I'm just going to gently leave Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura here and go back to rolling around in the string-quartet-soundtrack and trying to figure out what breed of dragon Virgil would be.
unknown.png
Speaking as an "ignorant Final Fantasy fan(girl)"...I love Legend of Dragoon, as do many of my fellow FF-loving friends. I think it's more the hardcore FFVII fanboys who perpetuated the myth that FF players are snobby about other RPGs. Heck, the first RPG I played through, finished and immediately played through again wasn't even a Final Fantasy game.

Although if there is such a thing as an obscure Final Fantasy game, my overall favorite of the series is IX, which is often disliked, mainly by those very same FFVII fanboys who widely panned this throwback to the older games. Fun fact, it's also the favorite of Sakaguchi, the man who created the series.

It's not obscure so much as impossible to find, but one of my absolute favorites is Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis for the PC, PS2 and XBOX. Even so many years later I still find the graphics beautiful, especially the water, and the dinosaurs hold up well. Not to mention all the classic sounds and music. Gameplay is obviously repetitive but fun for what it is and of course the dinosaurs never get old.
Speaking as an "ignorant Final Fantasy fan(girl)"...I love Legend of Dragoon, as do many of my fellow FF-loving friends. I think it's more the hardcore FFVII fanboys who perpetuated the myth that FF players are snobby about other RPGs. Heck, the first RPG I played through, finished and immediately played through again wasn't even a Final Fantasy game.

Although if there is such a thing as an obscure Final Fantasy game, my overall favorite of the series is IX, which is often disliked, mainly by those very same FFVII fanboys who widely panned this throwback to the older games. Fun fact, it's also the favorite of Sakaguchi, the man who created the series.

It's not obscure so much as impossible to find, but one of my absolute favorites is Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis for the PC, PS2 and XBOX. Even so many years later I still find the graphics beautiful, especially the water, and the dinosaurs hold up well. Not to mention all the classic sounds and music. Gameplay is obviously repetitive but fun for what it is and of course the dinosaurs never get old.
@Hol
HELLO FELLOW LIVE A LIVE, YOU HAVE GOOD TASTE. Seriously, though, nice to see someone else who likes it.
@Jaena
I always meant to play Boktai but it never happened. I do like Lunar Knights a lot though, even if I suck at it.
@Cymas
I have LoD but I still need to play it. ^^; I have heard a lot of good about it, though.
@Hol
HELLO FELLOW LIVE A LIVE, YOU HAVE GOOD TASTE. Seriously, though, nice to see someone else who likes it.
@Jaena
I always meant to play Boktai but it never happened. I do like Lunar Knights a lot though, even if I suck at it.
@Cymas
I have LoD but I still need to play it. ^^; I have heard a lot of good about it, though.
[quote name="Alphaeon" date="2014-03-16 17:08:59"]My favorite obscure game would have to be Dog's Life back on Playstation 2. I'm not even sure how I got hold of it, my parents might have gotten it for me for Christmas. But it ended up being one of my most loved games of all time! It has a great soundtrack (that I still need to download...) fun gameplay and tasks, and you play as a dog running through the countryside. What could be better?! There was a sequel that I never got around to playing, I'm hoping to find that sometime and try it out.[/quote] @Alphaeon Ah, gosh, I forgot all about this game. This was one of my favorites when I was little. Think I actually got a fully complete game once, no idea on where the save is, though. Kind of borrowed my friends copy that turned into a keep, ehe.
Alphaeon wrote on 2014-03-16 17:08:59:

@Alphaeon
Ah, gosh, I forgot all about this game.
This was one of my favorites when I was little. Think I actually got a fully complete game once, no idea on where the save is, though.
Kind of borrowed my friends copy that turned into a keep, ehe.
Communication is key.
When you unlock to believe, can you see what I see?
Searchlights, looking for the watcher in the sky.
@Dragon, it was a surprisingly good game! Thinking about it brings back so many memories, especially while listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjePhe2jSOo
@Dragon, it was a surprisingly good game! Thinking about it brings back so many memories, especially while listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjePhe2jSOo
Volunteer Moderator
If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation please feel free to use the Contact Us form. These submissions are viewed solely by the Flight Rising staff, not the volunteer moderator group.
XRwFykP.png

I enjoy Age of Wonders II. It's a fantasy turn-based strategy game, where you get to conquer the map with an army of fantasy warriors and creatures, and I don't think I've ever come across anyone who knows it. The best units in the game tend to be dragons =D
I enjoy Age of Wonders II. It's a fantasy turn-based strategy game, where you get to conquer the map with an army of fantasy warriors and creatures, and I don't think I've ever come across anyone who knows it. The best units in the game tend to be dragons =D
qIcJ82H.pngEmI9Jgd.png2ZYu6OU.png0mjfpw6.pngPXqYGyl.png
[quote name="Amalythia" date="2014-02-12 10:01:16"]For me it would be Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma. Most people I talk to have no idea what they are or what they're about. Both are SNES era RTA RPGs from Enix before they merged with Square. Terranigma's music is just so gorgeous.[/quote] Yes! Even though Illusion of Gaia does have its plot holes, it was an interesting concept. I'm so made my parents got rid of our old SNES and the games rather than just storing them :/ We had a copy of IoG and Earthbound.... (I've only played a little of Terranigma though, and on an emulator XD)
Amalythia wrote on 2014-02-12 10:01:16:
For me it would be Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma. Most people I talk to have no idea what they are or what they're about. Both are SNES era RTA RPGs from Enix before they merged with Square.

Terranigma's music is just so gorgeous.

Yes! Even though Illusion of Gaia does have its plot holes, it was an interesting concept. I'm so made my parents got rid of our old SNES and the games rather than just storing them :/ We had a copy of IoG and Earthbound....

(I've only played a little of Terranigma though, and on an emulator XD)
30595_s.gif
Hyperdimension Neptunia is pretty decent. It's a JRPG where all of the characters are based off of game consoles... like there are the DS twins and the GameGear girl trying to be strong and cool :P

There's also that computer (Steam???) game where you control a surgeon's arm/hand and have to perform surgery on a person without killing them. The controls are basically OctoDad difficult. I can't remember the name for the life of me, unfortunately. (If anyone knows please let me know!! I think they did something about it recently on Game Grumps...)

Edit: HOW COULD I FORGET THE STAIRWELL SIMULATOR???! It's a computer game where you just continue walking down a dark stairwell and there's a random chance of stuff happening. Red eyes pop up, noises, you see things move... My brother was playing it once and when he got to level 16 he screamed and hard reset the game so fast. I didn't even see what happened - mind you the man is 23 and has more hair on his back/chest than my cats do. Not for the faint of heart :P

OH OH and also "The Path" (also available on Steam) is pretty good. You play a little girl who's goal is to get to grandma's house by staying on the path. Obviously, you wander into the forest for the good stuff. No pop-outs or screamers but it's still spooky. You can play as I think 5 different girls who each have different events you can run into in the forest - like monsters, people, objects, etc. When you die you awaken outside grandma's house but it's reaaalllly spooky and trippy. I definitely recommend it!!
Hyperdimension Neptunia is pretty decent. It's a JRPG where all of the characters are based off of game consoles... like there are the DS twins and the GameGear girl trying to be strong and cool :P

There's also that computer (Steam???) game where you control a surgeon's arm/hand and have to perform surgery on a person without killing them. The controls are basically OctoDad difficult. I can't remember the name for the life of me, unfortunately. (If anyone knows please let me know!! I think they did something about it recently on Game Grumps...)

Edit: HOW COULD I FORGET THE STAIRWELL SIMULATOR???! It's a computer game where you just continue walking down a dark stairwell and there's a random chance of stuff happening. Red eyes pop up, noises, you see things move... My brother was playing it once and when he got to level 16 he screamed and hard reset the game so fast. I didn't even see what happened - mind you the man is 23 and has more hair on his back/chest than my cats do. Not for the faint of heart :P

OH OH and also "The Path" (also available on Steam) is pretty good. You play a little girl who's goal is to get to grandma's house by staying on the path. Obviously, you wander into the forest for the good stuff. No pop-outs or screamers but it's still spooky. You can play as I think 5 different girls who each have different events you can run into in the forest - like monsters, people, objects, etc. When you die you awaken outside grandma's house but it's reaaalllly spooky and trippy. I definitely recommend it!!
Frog Fractions.
Frog Fractions.
Mr-Spider wrote:
IT IS POLITE TO KNOCK
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13