Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [TOOL] easy gene project tracker
1 2
Hey all! I couldn’t find a gene project tracking spreadsheet template that I liked, so I decided to make my own, and I wanted to share it with anyone else who wants it. I intend to keep up with new gene/breed/eye type releases, so I’ll update it when I can, but I also wanted it to be easily editable in the situation where I’m not doing so. This thread will serve as a guide on how to add your projects and how to edit the sheets! Note: Some of the information will be kinda basic sheets/excel how-to, but I wanted to make it accessible to someone who has very little experience with spreadsheets. Just skip the bits you don’t need. So, without further ado: [center][size=6][b][url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19UEg0EjnaTh8RCSnY4Zt76Ez7oBDXZejEpdgsi1GUBc/edit?usp=sharing]The Template[/url][/b][/size] [size=5][url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ud3d0I5-XEIJSRlmQqCpOst1t6D3ccd5gW4joFUUTnI/edit?usp=sharing]Example Sheet[/size][/center] Just click through, hit File, and select “Make a Copy” to copy it to your own google drive. If you download it for Excel, the dropdown menus don’t work, so you’d have to manually enter in your genes by name. Everything else populates correctly! [center][img] https://64.media.tumblr.com/695b6d7cb6b0788537eb0824f04db9ff/d53071e3217413ba-ff/s500x750/a35efa2ade1911b21653ab89dad4ca18b9936463.png[/img][/center] [right][size=2](Forgive any pictures with less than stellar quality - as of posting my computer is not really working with me and they get the point across, so. I'll just leave them be. I might also update some of the formatting of this post, but it's been forever since I played around with BBCode. That's a project for future me <3)[/size][/right] [center][b][size=5]Table of Contents:[/size][/b][/center] [size=4][LIST=1] [*][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/3105192#post_50373997]How To Use and Update The Sheet[/url] [*][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/3105192#post_50373998]How To Add New Genes On Your Own[/url] [*][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/3105192/1#post_50374000]Bug Fixes[/url] [*][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/3105192#post_50374002]FAQ/Pinglist Form[/url] [/LIST][/size]
Hey all! I couldn’t find a gene project tracking spreadsheet template that I liked, so I decided to make my own, and I wanted to share it with anyone else who wants it. I intend to keep up with new gene/breed/eye type releases, so I’ll update it when I can, but I also wanted it to be easily editable in the situation where I’m not doing so. This thread will serve as a guide on how to add your projects and how to edit the sheets! Note: Some of the information will be kinda basic sheets/excel how-to, but I wanted to make it accessible to someone who has very little experience with spreadsheets. Just skip the bits you don’t need.

So, without further ado:

Just click through, hit File, and select “Make a Copy” to copy it to your own google drive. If you download it for Excel, the dropdown menus don’t work, so you’d have to manually enter in your genes by name. Everything else populates correctly!
a35efa2ade1911b21653ab89dad4ca18b9936463.png
(Forgive any pictures with less than stellar quality - as of posting my computer is not really working with me and they get the point across, so. I'll just leave them be. I might also update some of the formatting of this post, but it's been forever since I played around with BBCode. That's a project for future me <3)
Table of Contents:
  1. How To Use and Update The Sheet
  2. How To Add New Genes On Your Own
  3. Bug Fixes
  4. FAQ/Pinglist Form
[b][size=5]How To Use and Update The Sheet:[/size][/b] [LIST] [*]Under the name column in the Project List tab, put the name of your dragon. I also like to link to their page in my lair using the link function on the top bar. [*]From the dropdown menu in each column, select what scrolls you intend to use for this dragon. If you already have a scroll for a certain spot, or don’t want a scroll there, you can either leave it blank or select “None” from the dropdown. [*]Always select breed first when inputting an ancient dragon. The spreadsheet presumes you are geneing a modern breed and will only display modern genes unless you select an ancient breed from the breed dropdown. If your dragon is already the ancient breed you want it to be, select "[Breed name] (Non-Calculating)" and it will display the ancient genes without including the cost of the breed change scroll. [*]If you want to use a silhouette scroll or scroll of eternal youth, select “Yes” from the dropdown. Otherwise, leave it blank or select “No”. [*]Get your total! The first “Total Treasure” column is the normal rate from the MP. The “Total Treasure (Max Discount)” column calculates the cost if you were to buy it at the maximum discounted rate when your flight has dom. The "Grand Total" tab also shows your totals, but doesn't show the dom discounted rate. [/LIST] Once you’ve obtained a gene or finished a project, you can just clear out that cell/those cells and put in another project. The template starts with 48 rows. If you have more than 48 projects, first off, rip your wallet, second off, you can just insert rows above the last row by either right-clicking the row number on your left and selecting “Insert 1 row above” or left-clicking that same row and hitting Ctrl+Shift+’+’. If you insert rows below, a) there’s an annoying black line that I can’t figure out how to make it go away so it’s not as pretty, and b) you’ll have to edit the sum function in the total column to include the added row. Just add it above. It’s easier, I promise. [center][img] https://64.media.tumblr.com/6713313f97816f75ce0833b8a93e214f/d53071e3217413ba-66/s400x600/795719f00577cb80303631b5b2cbeae1cb4fd33b.png[/img][/center] Next, you'll need to go into the invisible raw data tabs. You can access those by clicking the three lines at the bottom left-hand corner of the spreadsheet and scrolling to the bottom. [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/otxlooy.png[/img][/center] You'll need to open all three of them. Add to the sheet the number of rows you want to add to each sheet. [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/ocIAuA4.png[/img][/center] Once you've done that, just drag the formula down from A1. you don't need to do it for the whole row, just the cell. You can make sure that it goes all the way to the end cell by checking the formula at the bottom of the list. If the first variable after the word "MATCH" goes to or past the number of last row you added in the project list, you're all set there. Do it in each sheet - Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary. Finally, you’ll need to drag down the formulas in columns C-O (so from the "Primary" column to the "Total Treasure (Max Dom Discount)" column) in "Project List" in order for them to populate. In order to drag the formulas down you’ll first select the cells above or below the added rows, grab the little blue square in the bottom right corner, and drag it down to the bottom of the sheet. If you drag over any data you've input/selected, it will erase it, so add more rows when you're one up from the bottom, not when you've reached the end. [center][img] https://64.media.tumblr.com/c7e9724451208f1bd6d5659d3ee396ce/d53071e3217413ba-8f/s500x750/65de175d26f744231f20d79ad6a2bae8703c72c8.png[/img][/center] [center][img] https://64.media.tumblr.com/11a9a967e21ee4fa41f706f1dca74815/d53071e3217413ba-18/s500x750/1c2c56932ea599ea3dcd7eb4675cebd9bbc47350.png[/img][/center] [b][size=4]Gene Totals[/size][/b] What it says on the tin - counts up how many you need of each gene. Organized by type, genes themselves separated by breed group (modern, Banescale, etc.). [b][size=4]Materials Total[/size][/b] The Materials Total tab will show you how many materials you need for the Baldwin, Swipp, and other scrolls you’ve chosen. “Total Needed” is the amount of materials calculated by the breakdown tabs. You can enter the amount you own in the “Amount Owned” tab to get the number you need in the “Amount Needed” tab. Each listed material is linked to their search on the Auction House, defaulted to treasure only. That’s just how I personally prefer to search, and, I’m gonna be real, I wasn’t going to make two versions of the sheet for something small like that. If you want to change the links to treasure and gems/gems only, go ahead! I won’t stop you. The complex materials (Glass Beaker, Sizzling Phosphorus, Imbued Sulfur, etc.) are factored into the regular transmuted materials, so if you enter in how many you have, it will account for it in the simple materials needed as well (e.g., a Reinforced Glass Beaker takes 2 Orange Goo, 2 Red Goo, and 4 Broken Bottles to make, and those will show up in their respective spots in the Transmuted Materials table; however, if you put that you already have a Reinforced Glass Beaker, it will subtract those from the total needed). I put the treasure cost of making complex materials in the breakdown tabs, but I didn’t calculate the total cost anywhere because I consider that petty cash. If you don’t have it, play a few rounds of Tidal Trouble or hoardsell some loose trinkets or something. [b][size=4]Grand Total[/size][/b] A summary of the cost in treasure and gems, the overall number of genes you need by type, and the overall number of materials you need for Baldwin/specialty genes. Basically a tab for you to look at and cry over the cost of your projects. [b][size=4]Baldwin Breakdown[/size][/b] This tab breaks down the recipes per scroll, instead of lumping them together by material. You’ll be able to see specifically what scroll needs what, how many you want of each scroll, and the level of cauldron you’ll need to brew it. [b][size=4]Specialty Breakdown[/size][/b] This shows the specialty scrolls (scrolls not bought or brewed), how to get them, and, for the Swipp genes, what the trade items you need are. There’s also a link to the database entry in case you want more information/want to go to the AH listing from there. [size=5][b]Updating the Sheet[/b][/size] Whenever I update, I'll ping the pinglist and put out a "patch notes" summary of what was changed. [b]For treasure/gem genes:[/b] The easiest way to update the sheet for any treasure/gem gene changes will be copy/pasting the entire tab's data from the updated template into the appropriate tabs in your copy. The entire tab can be selected for copy/pasting by pressing the blank rectangle in the upper left-hand corner, above row A and to the left of column 1. From there, go to the "Organized Data" tab and do the same thing. You can also just copy/paste the relevant column(s), it's up to you. [b]For Baldwin and specialty genes:[/b] Copy/paste the "Baldwin Breakdown" tab and "Baldwin Genes" tab from the template as outlined above. It should add in any new rows if needed, but if there are difficulties in getting it to work, add them in yourself before pasting. You'll also need to update the materials tab - again, you can just copy/paste the whole tab. Alternatively, you can just copy/paste the specific table or entry. [b]For new ancient breeds:[/b] Copy/paste the new data as outlined above in every tab [b]except for the "Organized Data" tab.[/b] In the "Organized Data" tab, you will need to add a column [i]before[/i] the Aether and Aether (Non-Calculating) columns. If you add it after, you will throw off the formulas for the dependent dropdowns, and the "Project List" tab will no longer function correctly. To do this, right click the top of the column and select Add Column > Add Column to the left. You will need to do this for both the calculating and non-calculating columns, as well as each category of genes. They're organized left to right, starting with Banescales in column F. Yellow columns are primary genes, green columns are secondary genes, and blue columns are tertiary genes. When you are done, there should be six additional columns - two in each category. You can reference the template to make sure. Once you've done this, you can paste in the new tab data from the template, and it should be good to go. ([b]Note:[/b] If you are using the OG version of the spreadsheet from 2022, you will not be able update your spreadsheet like this. The only option for updating is to make a new copy and re-enter your data. Apologies - I made a couple of quality of life updates that make the dropdowns far less unwieldy, but it made some fundamental changes to tab structure and added new, hidden tabs.)
How To Use and Update The Sheet:

• Under the name column in the Project List tab, put the name of your dragon. I also like to link to their page in my lair using the link function on the top bar.
  • From the dropdown menu in each column, select what scrolls you intend to use for this dragon. If you already have a scroll for a certain spot, or don’t want a scroll there, you can either leave it blank or select “None” from the dropdown.
  • Always select breed first when inputting an ancient dragon. The spreadsheet presumes you are geneing a modern breed and will only display modern genes unless you select an ancient breed from the breed dropdown. If your dragon is already the ancient breed you want it to be, select "[Breed name] (Non-Calculating)" and it will display the ancient genes without including the cost of the breed change scroll.
  • If you want to use a silhouette scroll or scroll of eternal youth, select “Yes” from the dropdown. Otherwise, leave it blank or select “No”.
  • Get your total! The first “Total Treasure” column is the normal rate from the MP. The “Total Treasure (Max Discount)” column calculates the cost if you were to buy it at the maximum discounted rate when your flight has dom. The "Grand Total" tab also shows your totals, but doesn't show the dom discounted rate.

Once you’ve obtained a gene or finished a project, you can just clear out that cell/those cells and put in another project.

The template starts with 48 rows. If you have more than 48 projects, first off, rip your wallet, second off, you can just insert rows above the last row by either right-clicking the row number on your left and selecting “Insert 1 row above” or left-clicking that same row and hitting Ctrl+Shift+’+’. If you insert rows below, a) there’s an annoying black line that I can’t figure out how to make it go away so it’s not as pretty, and b) you’ll have to edit the sum function in the total column to include the added row. Just add it above. It’s easier, I promise.
795719f00577cb80303631b5b2cbeae1cb4fd33b.png

Next, you'll need to go into the invisible raw data tabs. You can access those by clicking the three lines at the bottom left-hand corner of the spreadsheet and scrolling to the bottom.
otxlooy.png

You'll need to open all three of them. Add to the sheet the number of rows you want to add to each sheet.
ocIAuA4.png

Once you've done that, just drag the formula down from A1. you don't need to do it for the whole row, just the cell. You can make sure that it goes all the way to the end cell by checking the formula at the bottom of the list. If the first variable after the word "MATCH" goes to or past the number of last row you added in the project list, you're all set there. Do it in each sheet - Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary.

Finally, you’ll need to drag down the formulas in columns C-O (so from the "Primary" column to the "Total Treasure (Max Dom Discount)" column) in "Project List" in order for them to populate. In order to drag the formulas down you’ll first select the cells above or below the added rows, grab the little blue square in the bottom right corner, and drag it down to the bottom of the sheet. If you drag over any data you've input/selected, it will erase it, so add more rows when you're one up from the bottom, not when you've reached the end.
65de175d26f744231f20d79ad6a2bae8703c72c8.png
1c2c56932ea599ea3dcd7eb4675cebd9bbc47350.png

Gene Totals

What it says on the tin - counts up how many you need of each gene. Organized by type, genes themselves separated by breed group (modern, Banescale, etc.).

Materials Total

The Materials Total tab will show you how many materials you need for the Baldwin, Swipp, and other scrolls you’ve chosen. “Total Needed” is the amount of materials calculated by the breakdown tabs. You can enter the amount you own in the “Amount Owned” tab to get the number you need in the “Amount Needed” tab.

Each listed material is linked to their search on the Auction House, defaulted to treasure only. That’s just how I personally prefer to search, and, I’m gonna be real, I wasn’t going to make two versions of the sheet for something small like that. If you want to change the links to treasure and gems/gems only, go ahead! I won’t stop you.

The complex materials (Glass Beaker, Sizzling Phosphorus, Imbued Sulfur, etc.) are factored into the regular transmuted materials, so if you enter in how many you have, it will account for it in the simple materials needed as well (e.g., a Reinforced Glass Beaker takes 2 Orange Goo, 2 Red Goo, and 4 Broken Bottles to make, and those will show up in their respective spots in the Transmuted Materials table; however, if you put that you already have a Reinforced Glass Beaker, it will subtract those from the total needed).

I put the treasure cost of making complex materials in the breakdown tabs, but I didn’t calculate the total cost anywhere because I consider that petty cash. If you don’t have it, play a few rounds of Tidal Trouble or hoardsell some loose trinkets or something.

Grand Total

A summary of the cost in treasure and gems, the overall number of genes you need by type, and the overall number of materials you need for Baldwin/specialty genes. Basically a tab for you to look at and cry over the cost of your projects.

Baldwin Breakdown

This tab breaks down the recipes per scroll, instead of lumping them together by material. You’ll be able to see specifically what scroll needs what, how many you want of each scroll, and the level of cauldron you’ll need to brew it.

Specialty Breakdown

This shows the specialty scrolls (scrolls not bought or brewed), how to get them, and, for the Swipp genes, what the trade items you need are. There’s also a link to the database entry in case you want more information/want to go to the AH listing from there.

Updating the Sheet

Whenever I update, I'll ping the pinglist and put out a "patch notes" summary of what was changed.

For treasure/gem genes:

The easiest way to update the sheet for any treasure/gem gene changes will be copy/pasting the entire tab's data from the updated template into the appropriate tabs in your copy. The entire tab can be selected for copy/pasting by pressing the blank rectangle in the upper left-hand corner, above row A and to the left of column 1. From there, go to the "Organized Data" tab and do the same thing. You can also just copy/paste the relevant column(s), it's up to you.

For Baldwin and specialty genes:

Copy/paste the "Baldwin Breakdown" tab and "Baldwin Genes" tab from the template as outlined above. It should add in any new rows if needed, but if there are difficulties in getting it to work, add them in yourself before pasting. You'll also need to update the materials tab - again, you can just copy/paste the whole tab. Alternatively, you can just copy/paste the specific table or entry.

For new ancient breeds:

Copy/paste the new data as outlined above in every tab except for the "Organized Data" tab. In the "Organized Data" tab, you will need to add a column before the Aether and Aether (Non-Calculating) columns. If you add it after, you will throw off the formulas for the dependent dropdowns, and the "Project List" tab will no longer function correctly. To do this, right click the top of the column and select Add Column > Add Column to the left.
You will need to do this for both the calculating and non-calculating columns, as well as each category of genes. They're organized left to right, starting with Banescales in column F. Yellow columns are primary genes, green columns are secondary genes, and blue columns are tertiary genes. When you are done, there should be six additional columns - two in each category. You can reference the template to make sure. Once you've done this, you can paste in the new tab data from the template, and it should be good to go.

(Note: If you are using the OG version of the spreadsheet from 2022, you will not be able update your spreadsheet like this. The only option for updating is to make a new copy and re-enter your data. Apologies - I made a couple of quality of life updates that make the dropdowns far less unwieldy, but it made some fundamental changes to tab structure and added new, hidden tabs.)
[b][size=5]How To Add New Genes On Your Own:[/size][/b] Oh no! A new gene has been added and I haven’t updated the sheet/you don’t know how to paste the gene info in so that it populates correctly! What will you do? Well, my beloved reader, I am going to explain how you can get yourself out of this awful conundrum. This spreadsheet was created with formulas that search by rows instead of specific cells, so you only have to make a few small changes in order for it to populate new genes. Usually. Baldwin and Swipp genes complicate things a little, but we’ll get to that. [b][size=4]Treasure/Gem Genes[/size][/b] For plain old treasure and gem marketplace scrolls, adding them in is SUPER easy. For demonstration’s sake, I’m going to say there’s a new gene called “Blorbo” that was just added to the game. It’s a modern primary treasure gene, and it costs 275kt. First thing you’re going to want to do is pop open the Treasure Genes tab. [center][img] https://64.media.tumblr.com/856142c167fa805fea407050124d0995/d53071e3217413ba-e3/s500x750/fbb4c7fd52f5e9ed9459ba5fdf1008f8d0d63379.png[/img][/center] Scroll down to the bottom of the list of primary genes. In the first column, add the name of the gene. In the second column, add the cost. [center][img] https://64.media.tumblr.com/a1c4580ce09949f12d2d6a787c947876/d53071e3217413ba-d3/s500x750/764ec11c183cde2442736963a3eb2656f5197f04.png[/img][/center] Next, scoot yourself over to the Organized Data tab. This is where the dropdown menus get the values for the dropdown. The modern gene columns aren’t titled, but they’re in the same order and color as the treasure/gem gene tabs. Because Blorbo is a modern, primary gene, you'll be updating the primary column, which is column C. You can put the gene name in the bottom cell if you don’t mind where it is in the dropdown. If you want it to be alphabetical, however, you can add it to the bottom of the list, select the entire column, and left click. Choose "Organize Range > Sort A to Z". [b]Do NOT sort the sheet, only the range.[/b] ([b]Note:[/b] If you're adding in an ancient breed gene, do not select the entire column. Select from the 2nd row to the bottom of the list. The headers on the ancient genes need to remain in place in order for the dropdowns to function; this is also why I emphasize that you need to sort the range, not the sheet.) [center][img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/1185d0ffacd6e0a6e00505ce7fe34f48/4e2955e511ec1b0f-3e/s2048x3072/b153d205244d40a38b24ad21e194cecd06c63096.png[/img][/center] In your newly blank cell, type the name of the gene. You can now head back to the main project tab and select the gene from the dropdown menu! [center][img] https://64.media.tumblr.com/2c160e62a1b56e96703358a9910e8c0d/d53071e3217413ba-8c/s250x400/e994e121339ded68f51117e75037dbcfb9cb1047.png[/img][/center] To add it to the Gene Totals tab, highlight the gene and amount below where you want it to be, right click, and insert and shift down. Type in the name and drag down the formula. [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/12e0948251423dd5b55baf3544cc4863/4e2955e511ec1b0f-c0/s2048x3072/a474d605f5716291b803ee1d01ce3ac11300ab61.png[/img] The process is the same for gem genes, just put the name and cost in the gem genes tab instead. [b][size=4]Baldwin/Swipp/Specialty Genes[/size][/b] “But Prae!” you say. “What about Baldwin/Swipp/specialty genes! Those look complicated!” Well, they are, but I promise they're not overly so. Follow this guide and you should be fine. We’re going to do a little cheating here. For this example, our imaginary gene is Glup. It’s a Gaoler-specific secondary. Glup (Gaoler) is made with 50kt, 2 Green Ooze, 1 Purple Goo, 1 Sizzling Phosphorus, and 5 Isopods. You have to have a level 14 cauldron to brew it. First thing is adding it to the Baldwin Gene tab, just like you did with Blorbo in the Treasure Gene tab. The cost will be the 50kt. Also add it to the list of Gaoler secondaries in the Organized Data tab. Next, you’re going to go over to the Baldwin Breakdown tab. Find a recipe in the same row that preferably has the same amount of ingredients - all of the scrolls so far use 4 or 5. As Glup (Gaoler) uses 4, we’re going to use the table for Trail (Gaoler) as a template. Select the whole thing and copy it. [center][img] https://64.media.tumblr.com/af2871be784d1ef5c47d646a567ed2a5/d53071e3217413ba-98/s500x750/7056205b8c95529683dbf5289704bec452206256.png[/img][/center] Paste it below, with one empty row in between to prevent confusion. [center][img] https://64.media.tumblr.com/58e720da968ee44506ae92cb1563da21/d53071e3217413ba-d1/s500x750/82235724e1fa24674fe31c154b275b16dd3793d6.png[/img][/center] Update the information, but don’t touch the right column yet. [center][img] https://64.media.tumblr.com/d80730c4f2af42f2389adc1ebb6a19ae/4e2955e511ec1b0f-7a/s500x750/3eb32be59c9807b344dac5c6562c354f63ad206e.png[/img][/center] Now, because of the formulas I used, you don’t need to do anything to link the transmuted ingredients to the totals tab. They’ll automatically be counted. I’ll tell you how to add the isopods later in this post. The tally in the upper right hand corner will be fine too; as long as it’s copied from the same row, the formula will shift to where it needs to be. What you’ll need to fix are the “Needed” formulas. Select one of the cells. The first cell reference is fine - it’s not static, so the values changed to pull from the correct cells when you pasted the table. The second one has the dollar signs, which make it so it doesn’t move. [center][img] https://64.media.tumblr.com/4cd260e955d9bbc8d96f0fa0763d6a52/4e2955e511ec1b0f-16/s500x750/453c25428b3ae6923e089174147e4d988ad3a9f3.png[/img][/center] You’ll notice the the tally in the upper right hand corner is referencing the number of genes needed for the gene you copied from, not the gene you're entering - in this case, it's cell H103, when it needs to be referencing cell H112. You’ll just need to change that refence so that it references the tally in the upper right hand corner - again, in this case, changing the 103 to 112 for all of the formulas in the “Needed” column for that table. [center][img] https://64.media.tumblr.com/f6672aa27fa630b2ea26d243272eb8b5/4e2955e511ec1b0f-11/s500x750/1fb31292700838174f1c24ff22c8e927f40a548d.png[/img][/center] And ta-da! The new gene is added. There’s only one last thing to do. Isopods are a special material, like the Serthis Poison for the Poison gene. What you’ll need to do is go into the Total Materials tab, type Isopod in the Other Baldwin Materials table, and drag the formula down. [center][img] https://64.media.tumblr.com/db5c1cf69d79abb82edfdb5900dea067/4e2955e511ec1b0f-68/s500x750/0080eea1cd840d3047412b2dde6e871a165b8c83.png[/img][/center] [b]Do not drag from or over the Broken Bottle entry![/b] It has a slightly different formula so that it can accommodate for complex materials you have. Drag from the upper portion of the table. Mission accomplished. You can do the same thing for the Swipp trades. Add to the Specialty Genes and Data tabs, copy/paste an existing Swipp trade in the Specialty Breakdown tab, update the materials and the “Needed” formula, and add it to the Swipp Materials table in Total Materials. Congratulations, you are now a master at updating the sheet. If I’ve already updated the sheet and you don’t want to do all that work, you can just follow the guide on updating the sheet, making sure to drag down any relevant formulas. [size=5][b]In Conclusion[/b][/size] Thank you for taking the time to read through this post! Or, if you didn’t, thank you for making the effort to scroll all the way to the end and read this little blurb. I hope this spreadsheet is as useful to you as it is to me. If there are any questions, you find an error in the sheet, or you have a bit of feedback on the design/function, don’t hesitate to ask! The sheet has been lovingly stress-tested by @astrotheology, but there’s a lot of stuff in there so it’s super easy to miss something. I'm subscribed to this thread so you don't have to ping. Bug fix list and FAQ are below [emoji=obelisk happy size=1]
How To Add New Genes On Your Own:

Oh no! A new gene has been added and I haven’t updated the sheet/you don’t know how to paste the gene info in so that it populates correctly! What will you do?

Well, my beloved reader, I am going to explain how you can get yourself out of this awful conundrum. This spreadsheet was created with formulas that search by rows instead of specific cells, so you only have to make a few small changes in order for it to populate new genes. Usually. Baldwin and Swipp genes complicate things a little, but we’ll get to that.

Treasure/Gem Genes

For plain old treasure and gem marketplace scrolls, adding them in is SUPER easy. For demonstration’s sake, I’m going to say there’s a new gene called “Blorbo” that was just added to the game. It’s a modern primary treasure gene, and it costs 275kt. First thing you’re going to want to do is pop open the Treasure Genes tab.
fbb4c7fd52f5e9ed9459ba5fdf1008f8d0d63379.png

Scroll down to the bottom of the list of primary genes. In the first column, add the name of the gene. In the second column, add the cost.
764ec11c183cde2442736963a3eb2656f5197f04.png

Next, scoot yourself over to the Organized Data tab. This is where the dropdown menus get the values for the dropdown. The modern gene columns aren’t titled, but they’re in the same order and color as the treasure/gem gene tabs. Because Blorbo is a modern, primary gene, you'll be updating the primary column, which is column C. You can put the gene name in the bottom cell if you don’t mind where it is in the dropdown. If you want it to be alphabetical, however, you can add it to the bottom of the list, select the entire column, and left click. Choose "Organize Range > Sort A to Z". Do NOT sort the sheet, only the range.

(Note: If you're adding in an ancient breed gene, do not select the entire column. Select from the 2nd row to the bottom of the list. The headers on the ancient genes need to remain in place in order for the dropdowns to function; this is also why I emphasize that you need to sort the range, not the sheet.)
b153d205244d40a38b24ad21e194cecd06c63096.png

In your newly blank cell, type the name of the gene. You can now head back to the main project tab and select the gene from the dropdown menu!
e994e121339ded68f51117e75037dbcfb9cb1047.png

To add it to the Gene Totals tab, highlight the gene and amount below where you want it to be, right click, and insert and shift down. Type in the name and drag down the formula.

a474d605f5716291b803ee1d01ce3ac11300ab61.png

The process is the same for gem genes, just put the name and cost in the gem genes tab instead.

Baldwin/Swipp/Specialty Genes

“But Prae!” you say. “What about Baldwin/Swipp/specialty genes! Those look complicated!” Well, they are, but I promise they're not overly so. Follow this guide and you should be fine.

We’re going to do a little cheating here. For this example, our imaginary gene is Glup. It’s a Gaoler-specific secondary. Glup (Gaoler) is made with 50kt, 2 Green Ooze, 1 Purple Goo, 1 Sizzling Phosphorus, and 5 Isopods. You have to have a level 14 cauldron to brew it. First thing is adding it to the Baldwin Gene tab, just like you did with Blorbo in the Treasure Gene tab. The cost will be the 50kt. Also add it to the list of Gaoler secondaries in the Organized Data tab.

Next, you’re going to go over to the Baldwin Breakdown tab. Find a recipe in the same row that preferably has the same amount of ingredients - all of the scrolls so far use 4 or 5. As Glup (Gaoler) uses 4, we’re going to use the table for Trail (Gaoler) as a template. Select the whole thing and copy it.
7056205b8c95529683dbf5289704bec452206256.png

Paste it below, with one empty row in between to prevent confusion.
82235724e1fa24674fe31c154b275b16dd3793d6.png

Update the information, but don’t touch the right column yet.
3eb32be59c9807b344dac5c6562c354f63ad206e.png

Now, because of the formulas I used, you don’t need to do anything to link the transmuted ingredients to the totals tab. They’ll automatically be counted. I’ll tell you how to add the isopods later in this post. The tally in the upper right hand corner will be fine too; as long as it’s copied from the same row, the formula will shift to where it needs to be.

What you’ll need to fix are the “Needed” formulas. Select one of the cells. The first cell reference is fine - it’s not static, so the values changed to pull from the correct cells when you pasted the table. The second one has the dollar signs, which make it so it doesn’t move.
453c25428b3ae6923e089174147e4d988ad3a9f3.png

You’ll notice the the tally in the upper right hand corner is referencing the number of genes needed for the gene you copied from, not the gene you're entering - in this case, it's cell H103, when it needs to be referencing cell H112. You’ll just need to change that refence so that it references the tally in the upper right hand corner - again, in this case, changing the 103 to 112 for all of the formulas in the “Needed” column for that table.
1fb31292700838174f1c24ff22c8e927f40a548d.png

And ta-da! The new gene is added. There’s only one last thing to do. Isopods are a special material, like the Serthis Poison for the Poison gene. What you’ll need to do is go into the Total Materials tab, type Isopod in the Other Baldwin Materials table, and drag the formula down.
0080eea1cd840d3047412b2dde6e871a165b8c83.png

Do not drag from or over the Broken Bottle entry! It has a slightly different formula so that it can accommodate for complex materials you have. Drag from the upper portion of the table.

Mission accomplished.

You can do the same thing for the Swipp trades. Add to the Specialty Genes and Data tabs, copy/paste an existing Swipp trade in the Specialty Breakdown tab, update the materials and the “Needed” formula, and add it to the Swipp Materials table in Total Materials.

Congratulations, you are now a master at updating the sheet. If I’ve already updated the sheet and you don’t want to do all that work, you can just follow the guide on updating the sheet, making sure to drag down any relevant formulas.

In Conclusion

Thank you for taking the time to read through this post! Or, if you didn’t, thank you for making the effort to scroll all the way to the end and read this little blurb. I hope this spreadsheet is as useful to you as it is to me.

If there are any questions, you find an error in the sheet, or you have a bit of feedback on the design/function, don’t hesitate to ask! The sheet has been lovingly stress-tested by @astrotheology, but there’s a lot of stuff in there so it’s super easy to miss something. I'm subscribed to this thread so you don't have to ping.

Bug fix list and FAQ are below
Bug Fixes
  • Keel labeled incorrectly in Baldwin Breakdown tab (2/18/22)
  • A massive overhaul of the entire sheet. Added Undertides, Aethers, the Veilspun expansion, and every gene that's been added since March 2022. Created dependent dropdowns to make gene selection easier. Added a Grand Total tab. If you are using the original version, you will not be able to easily update, so I suggest making a new copy and re-entering/pasting in your information. (4/13/23)

Bug Fixes
  • Keel labeled incorrectly in Baldwin Breakdown tab (2/18/22)
  • A massive overhaul of the entire sheet. Added Undertides, Aethers, the Veilspun expansion, and every gene that's been added since March 2022. Created dependent dropdowns to make gene selection easier. Added a Grand Total tab. If you are using the original version, you will not be able to easily update, so I suggest making a new copy and re-entering/pasting in your information. (4/13/23)

FAQ

None yet!

Use the link above to add yourself to the pinglist. This list is for major changes: new breeds, new genes, new tab added to the sheet, etc. Any minor bug fixes will be listed in the bug post. Please check that post if you find an issue - if it's unreported, you can let me know the issue on the thread or via DM!

If you want to be taken off of the pinglist, please let me know!
FAQ

None yet!

Use the link above to add yourself to the pinglist. This list is for major changes: new breeds, new genes, new tab added to the sheet, etc. Any minor bug fixes will be listed in the bug post. Please check that post if you find an issue - if it's unreported, you can let me know the issue on the thread or via DM!

If you want to be taken off of the pinglist, please let me know!
wow this is so cool and fresh and so well beta tested <- not biased

but seriously this is the first gene project tracker i’ve ever used and liked in my 6 years of flight rising so good job. also i love u
wow this is so cool and fresh and so well beta tested <- not biased

but seriously this is the first gene project tracker i’ve ever used and liked in my 6 years of flight rising so good job. also i love u
VfJfrBs.jpeg
@astrotheology [emoji=obelisk love size=1] [emoji=obelisk love size=1] [emoji=obelisk love size=1] [emoji=obelisk love size=1]
@astrotheology
would you be able to ping me for updates to the spreadsheet? ;o i just have trouble reading large walls of text + i don't wanna break anything lol
would you be able to ping me for updates to the spreadsheet? ;o i just have trouble reading large walls of text + i don't wanna break anything lol
CPMK3ES.gif Dg3u2u3.png bumble
advAsr3.png non-binary
he/him or
xey/xem
@bubbaberriboo
W0PfjfV.png strawberry
Updated for Aberrations! As always, please let me know if you run into any issues.

@pawsmos pinging you because you asked - I also added a pinglist form, so if you go enter your username there you can join the pinglist for major updates :D

Updated for Aberrations! As always, please let me know if you run into any issues.

@pawsmos pinging you because you asked - I also added a pinglist form, so if you go enter your username there you can join the pinglist for major updates :D

Oh, my, god. I’ve discovered and discarded SO MANY different project trackers, but this? This is brilliant. Super simple, easy-to-read, no excessive faff or trying to be “clever” with linked imports that break if you look at them wrong. Love love love it.
Oh, my, god. I’ve discovered and discarded SO MANY different project trackers, but this? This is brilliant. Super simple, easy-to-read, no excessive faff or trying to be “clever” with linked imports that break if you look at them wrong. Love love love it.
IMG_4595.png
image1.png
5hF3FGk.png
image0.png
image0.png
image3.png
1 2