Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [Resource] Alchemy for Profit
1 2 3
[center][size=7]Alchemy for Profit[/size][/center] ---------- [center][b]Welcome to the Alchemy for Profit Reference Guide! Long story short, this is a spreadsheet you can use as a guideline to see which of Baldwin’s brews tend to sell for more than the total cost of their ingredients, and which ones cost more to make than they’d earn you. Keep reading if you want the long-winded version.[/b][/center] After the advent of the Game Database, I started to become more aware of what Flight Rising’s useful items are actually worth on the Auction House, and it made me start to wonder: exactly how much does that Baldwin brew cost when you factor all that in? Am I actually making a profit by brewing and selling this item, or would it be better to just sell the ingredients themselves? So, naturally, I brought spreadsheets into it. Of course, if you reduce all your own reagents and get all the other ingredients for free from gathering or grinding in the Coliseum, each item has a much smaller (if any) monetary cost to you. Technically, it is possible to get basically everything in Baldwin’s Bubbling Brew for only the monetary cost of the brews themselves, and thus you could add treasure to your pile by brewing and selling those items. If you’re fine with that method, carry on! It’s not necessarily a bad method. BUT CONSIDER: what if you could make MORE money by brewing more selectively, or just selling the raw ingredients you would have used for less profitable brews? That’s the point of this guide. There are at least a couple other guides on making money with alchemy (specifically [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2352566#post_2352566]here[/url] and [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2535469#post_2535469]here[/url]) but I decided to make this one because both of those are a few years old (and thus probably out of date in terms of what items are listed on them), and are designed to be filled in at the time that you want to brew something - more exact in the moment, but it takes a lot of work! This one is a very simple to use spreadsheet. It allows you to scroll through all the items available for brewing at Baldwin’s Bubbling Brew (excluding festival/holiday brews), and you can see at a glance which items are likely to make you the most money, based on long-term Auction House lowest price averages. This means that the profits listed are not [i]exactly[/i] what you would make by brewing and selling that item right now. It covers general trends and serves as a [b]GUIDELINE[/b] for which brews typically sell for more than they cost to make (all ingredient prices included), and which ones are just not worth it. Its purpose is simply to point you in the right direction, and from there you can do minimal AH searching and find the item you want to brew for the best profit right now. [center][url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1227bpSHJVzikMN-YUWGE4BxyX4ayZIyF7OoKAmqive0/edit?usp=sharing][img]https://i.imgur.com/tF2u1wj.png[/img][/url][/center] [center][size=2][i]WARNING: Take a few of the higher profit items (primarily apparel) with a grain of salt. If there are very few of them listed on the AH, they tend to be listed for overly high prices, which makes them look good, but they don’t necessarily actually sell for those prices, meaning the numbers on the spreadsheet may be falsely inflated for those items.[/i][/size][/center] [b][size=4]WHAT YOU’LL FIND IN THE SPREADSHEET[/size][/b] [LIST=1] [*] The first sheet is a brief [b]explanation[/b] of the spreadsheet, covering what it is for, what different colors mean, and some info on my methods and how to keep it updated yourself should I ever drop the project (or you just think you can do it better). [*] The second and most important sheet is the [b]Profits[/b] sheet. This is where you’ll want to look to see which items are worth brewing and how much you could be making over the ingredient costs. Some items may have a warning in the column after the item value that says “unstable price”. Be careful and definitely check current item prices in the Auction House on those ones, as it means the price for that item tends to vary quite a lot. I’ve locked the spreadsheet to protect all my precious, delicate data and functions, but you can go to the menu and click Data -> Filter Views to sort the sheet by various columns in order to get what you want out of it more easily! This tab includes some other good info such as percent gain (helpful if you want to find out which recipes give you the most bang for your buck even if they’re not the most singularly profitable brew), and includes a quick link to the Auction House for each item so you can easily check what actual current prices are on the item you’re interested in making. [*] [b]Reagent Swaps[/b]: Have way too many Orange Goo and not enough Yellow? Is it worthwhile transmuting what you have into something else, or just selling your excess and using the money to buy what you’re lacking? Find out here! This sheet very simply tells you how much value you would gain or lose by changing one type of reagent into another. [*] [b]Item Prices[/b]: This is where I (or you, should you choose to) keep track of item prices on the Auction House. All brewable items and the materials needed for those brews are included here, along with a quick Auction House link. I simply add new price checks into the next column down the line, and the second column on the sheet keeps track of the average to smooth out price fluctuations and give the spreadsheet a more solid, long-term base to calculate off of. [*] [b]Recipes[/b]: Plain and simple, the recipe for each brew, including how many of each material are needed. The Profits sheet refers to this and the Item Prices sheet to calculate total brew costs. [*] [b]Currency Calculator[/b]: This is mostly just a simple little tool I find helpful to quickly calculate what gems are worth in treasure (or vice versa), as all prices listed on the spreadsheet are in treasure (for calculation reasons) even if the actual price used from the Auction House was gems. If you put in both treasure price and gem price for an item, it’ll convert the gems into treasure, compare, and tell you the lowest price (which is maybe a little redundant, but hey, there it is). [/LIST] Feel free to ask any questions you have. Suggestions are welcome. I’m always happy to try to improve what I’ve got! Also please let me know if you spot any errors or typos!
Alchemy for Profit

Welcome to the Alchemy for Profit Reference Guide! Long story short, this is a spreadsheet you can use as a guideline to see which of Baldwin’s brews tend to sell for more than the total cost of their ingredients, and which ones cost more to make than they’d earn you. Keep reading if you want the long-winded version.

After the advent of the Game Database, I started to become more aware of what Flight Rising’s useful items are actually worth on the Auction House, and it made me start to wonder: exactly how much does that Baldwin brew cost when you factor all that in? Am I actually making a profit by brewing and selling this item, or would it be better to just sell the ingredients themselves? So, naturally, I brought spreadsheets into it.

Of course, if you reduce all your own reagents and get all the other ingredients for free from gathering or grinding in the Coliseum, each item has a much smaller (if any) monetary cost to you. Technically, it is possible to get basically everything in Baldwin’s Bubbling Brew for only the monetary cost of the brews themselves, and thus you could add treasure to your pile by brewing and selling those items. If you’re fine with that method, carry on! It’s not necessarily a bad method. BUT CONSIDER: what if you could make MORE money by brewing more selectively, or just selling the raw ingredients you would have used for less profitable brews? That’s the point of this guide.

There are at least a couple other guides on making money with alchemy (specifically here and here) but I decided to make this one because both of those are a few years old (and thus probably out of date in terms of what items are listed on them), and are designed to be filled in at the time that you want to brew something - more exact in the moment, but it takes a lot of work!

This one is a very simple to use spreadsheet. It allows you to scroll through all the items available for brewing at Baldwin’s Bubbling Brew (excluding festival/holiday brews), and you can see at a glance which items are likely to make you the most money, based on long-term Auction House lowest price averages.

This means that the profits listed are not exactly what you would make by brewing and selling that item right now. It covers general trends and serves as a GUIDELINE for which brews typically sell for more than they cost to make (all ingredient prices included), and which ones are just not worth it. Its purpose is simply to point you in the right direction, and from there you can do minimal AH searching and find the item you want to brew for the best profit right now.

tF2u1wj.png
WARNING: Take a few of the higher profit items (primarily apparel) with a grain of salt. If there are very few of them listed on the AH, they tend to be listed for overly high prices, which makes them look good, but they don’t necessarily actually sell for those prices, meaning the numbers on the spreadsheet may be falsely inflated for those items.

WHAT YOU’LL FIND IN THE SPREADSHEET
  1. The first sheet is a brief explanation of the spreadsheet, covering what it is for, what different colors mean, and some info on my methods and how to keep it updated yourself should I ever drop the project (or you just think you can do it better).
  2. The second and most important sheet is the Profits sheet. This is where you’ll want to look to see which items are worth brewing and how much you could be making over the ingredient costs. Some items may have a warning in the column after the item value that says “unstable price”. Be careful and definitely check current item prices in the Auction House on those ones, as it means the price for that item tends to vary quite a lot. I’ve locked the spreadsheet to protect all my precious, delicate data and functions, but you can go to the menu and click Data -> Filter Views to sort the sheet by various columns in order to get what you want out of it more easily! This tab includes some other good info such as percent gain (helpful if you want to find out which recipes give you the most bang for your buck even if they’re not the most singularly profitable brew), and includes a quick link to the Auction House for each item so you can easily check what actual current prices are on the item you’re interested in making.
  3. Reagent Swaps: Have way too many Orange Goo and not enough Yellow? Is it worthwhile transmuting what you have into something else, or just selling your excess and using the money to buy what you’re lacking? Find out here! This sheet very simply tells you how much value you would gain or lose by changing one type of reagent into another.
  4. Item Prices: This is where I (or you, should you choose to) keep track of item prices on the Auction House. All brewable items and the materials needed for those brews are included here, along with a quick Auction House link. I simply add new price checks into the next column down the line, and the second column on the sheet keeps track of the average to smooth out price fluctuations and give the spreadsheet a more solid, long-term base to calculate off of.
  5. Recipes: Plain and simple, the recipe for each brew, including how many of each material are needed. The Profits sheet refers to this and the Item Prices sheet to calculate total brew costs.
  6. Currency Calculator: This is mostly just a simple little tool I find helpful to quickly calculate what gems are worth in treasure (or vice versa), as all prices listed on the spreadsheet are in treasure (for calculation reasons) even if the actual price used from the Auction House was gems. If you put in both treasure price and gem price for an item, it’ll convert the gems into treasure, compare, and tell you the lowest price (which is maybe a little redundant, but hey, there it is).

Feel free to ask any questions you have. Suggestions are welcome. I’m always happy to try to improve what I’ve got! Also please let me know if you spot any errors or typos!
TFmPIfy.png
UPDATES

• May 13 2022 - Whoops, sure did forget to add all of the Aberration genes. Got them now
  • Apr 27 2022 - Added Scarlet Dinosaur armor set
  • Dec 15 2021 - Added Tertiary Gene: Angler (Veilspun)
  • Nov 19 2021 - Added Capsule for Banescale and Gaoler. Broke spreadsheet. Fixed spreadsheet. idk what's going on anymore
  • Nov 4 2021 - Added Friend Sugar Glider, Friend Anole, and Friend Red Eared Slider recipes and all relevant items to the price list. Finally back to updating price checks again!

PINGLIST FOR UPDATES

@/ElementMaster @/Ceenbee
UPDATES

• May 13 2022 - Whoops, sure did forget to add all of the Aberration genes. Got them now
  • Apr 27 2022 - Added Scarlet Dinosaur armor set
  • Dec 15 2021 - Added Tertiary Gene: Angler (Veilspun)
  • Nov 19 2021 - Added Capsule for Banescale and Gaoler. Broke spreadsheet. Fixed spreadsheet. idk what's going on anymore
  • Nov 4 2021 - Added Friend Sugar Glider, Friend Anole, and Friend Red Eared Slider recipes and all relevant items to the price list. Finally back to updating price checks again!

PINGLIST FOR UPDATES

@/ElementMaster @/Ceenbee
TFmPIfy.png
idk might as well reserve another
idk might as well reserve another
TFmPIfy.png
just found this and looks good! i've made my own copy which i'll be prettying up later, as well as putting in some new raw data. i'm interested to see if the numbers in each month are distinct or are you also converting lowest gem listings?

i'm converting gem listings for the sake of averages, and i would also be interested in a profit per minute/hour, although i don't have enough spreadsheet knowledge (yet >:3) to do it myself. my main thing is just that while the averages/profit percents/etc spits out nice numbers, they run the risk of becoming seriously out of date (and with how many raw materials need to be check, that's a big task!)

when i finish up raw values i'll toss a link to my own spreadsheet in here
just found this and looks good! i've made my own copy which i'll be prettying up later, as well as putting in some new raw data. i'm interested to see if the numbers in each month are distinct or are you also converting lowest gem listings?

i'm converting gem listings for the sake of averages, and i would also be interested in a profit per minute/hour, although i don't have enough spreadsheet knowledge (yet >:3) to do it myself. my main thing is just that while the averages/profit percents/etc spits out nice numbers, they run the risk of becoming seriously out of date (and with how many raw materials need to be check, that's a big task!)

when i finish up raw values i'll toss a link to my own spreadsheet in here
@AWB
Yes, please feel free to link your own updated version here! I honestly got a little disheartened when nobody even said anything in this thread after I created it, so I didn't have a ton of motivation to upkeep it because, as you noted, price checking all those items is a lot of work!

Not sure what you mean by "if the numbers in each month are distinct" but yes, lowest gem prices were taken into consideration. Basically I looked at lowest treasure price and lowest gem price, converted the gems to treasure by the approximate going ratio at the time, and input the lowest of the two

I thought about adding profit/time, but decided when I initially made this that that was more work than I was ready to add to it just then XD It is/was on the list for possible future upgrades, though

And yeah, it can get out of date easily. My intention with upkeeping this spreadsheet was to check all prices once or twice a month, but only keep like the last 10 or so price checks, because if an item's price changed over time (say, if it suddenly also became an item needed for a swipp swap or whatever and its price shot up), the older price checks would make that average value technically incorrect for the current times. You're welcome to handle keeping your price averages accurate in whatever way you see fit, though! Maybe if an item price changes considerably in a way that is not just a random fluctuation, you could remove all previous price checks of that specific item? The average for that item would be on shakier ground for a bit, but it would be a good way to keep older prices from biasing your averages
@AWB
Yes, please feel free to link your own updated version here! I honestly got a little disheartened when nobody even said anything in this thread after I created it, so I didn't have a ton of motivation to upkeep it because, as you noted, price checking all those items is a lot of work!

Not sure what you mean by "if the numbers in each month are distinct" but yes, lowest gem prices were taken into consideration. Basically I looked at lowest treasure price and lowest gem price, converted the gems to treasure by the approximate going ratio at the time, and input the lowest of the two

I thought about adding profit/time, but decided when I initially made this that that was more work than I was ready to add to it just then XD It is/was on the list for possible future upgrades, though

And yeah, it can get out of date easily. My intention with upkeeping this spreadsheet was to check all prices once or twice a month, but only keep like the last 10 or so price checks, because if an item's price changed over time (say, if it suddenly also became an item needed for a swipp swap or whatever and its price shot up), the older price checks would make that average value technically incorrect for the current times. You're welcome to handle keeping your price averages accurate in whatever way you see fit, though! Maybe if an item price changes considerably in a way that is not just a random fluctuation, you could remove all previous price checks of that specific item? The average for that item would be on shakier ground for a bit, but it would be a good way to keep older prices from biasing your averages
TFmPIfy.png
@AWB Thank you in advance for your updated version!

@Velifer My sincere apologies for not coming back to thank you for your spreadsheet. I refer to it constantly, and it's been a huge help deciding what to brew up daily, so a much belated but very appreciative 'thank you' for all your hard work and effort!
@AWB Thank you in advance for your updated version!

@Velifer My sincere apologies for not coming back to thank you for your spreadsheet. I refer to it constantly, and it's been a huge help deciding what to brew up daily, so a much belated but very appreciative 'thank you' for all your hard work and effort!
8TwF8Tj.gif QynGjjZ.gifFr3kxgb.gif
@velifer
yeah for averages sake im doin the lowest treasure AND the lowesr gem price, just converting treasure at current going rate (put in a spreadsheet note for ref)

anyways i haven't had much of a chance to work on it yesterday or today but tomorrow hopefully!
@velifer
yeah for averages sake im doin the lowest treasure AND the lowesr gem price, just converting treasure at current going rate (put in a spreadsheet note for ref)

anyways i haven't had much of a chance to work on it yesterday or today but tomorrow hopefully!
@Velifer I just found this and I so appreciate all the work you put into it! This is an invaluable tool.
@Velifer I just found this and I so appreciate all the work you put into it! This is an invaluable tool.
Aged Tome she/her
FR+3
wishlist
@aprilraven
Thank you for saying so! I had assumed nobody was using it. I may go back to doing semi-regular price checks, but the next couple months are super busy for me, so it might be slow. I appreciate you telling me how much you use it, though!

@AWB
So you mean you're averaging between the treasure and gem price and then putting that in for your price check? That's a good method I hadn't really thought of

@EclipsedSun
Thanks so much!
@aprilraven
Thank you for saying so! I had assumed nobody was using it. I may go back to doing semi-regular price checks, but the next couple months are super busy for me, so it might be slow. I appreciate you telling me how much you use it, though!

@AWB
So you mean you're averaging between the treasure and gem price and then putting that in for your price check? That's a good method I hadn't really thought of

@EclipsedSun
Thanks so much!
TFmPIfy.png
@velifer
augh i didn't respond back then bc i was busy but i'm taking the lowest treasure listing and inputting that regularly, and then taking the lowest gem listing and converting that, and putting that in as ANOTHER entry

anyways. for velifer and also anyone else, here's the link (NOT completed, about 1/4ths done. also added a little blurb about my fork specifically)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vs7-N-1gg7f4dlTnTQaO0IrrTLJvs8izxd4j8KSLz3Y/edit?usp=sharing
@velifer
augh i didn't respond back then bc i was busy but i'm taking the lowest treasure listing and inputting that regularly, and then taking the lowest gem listing and converting that, and putting that in as ANOTHER entry

anyways. for velifer and also anyone else, here's the link (NOT completed, about 1/4ths done. also added a little blurb about my fork specifically)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vs7-N-1gg7f4dlTnTQaO0IrrTLJvs8izxd4j8KSLz3Y/edit?usp=sharing
1 2 3