Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Anyone else noticed this?
1 2 3 4
[quote name="DeathSpecter" date="2024-03-25 07:33:37" ] As a hatchery owner who started out way back in 2016 ish I don't feel like mine ever "took off" so I suppose I never saw much change over the years lol Then again, I'm mostly a casual hatchery. I have pairs, I still create more without expecting to make a profit or getting back the loss from gening them, and don't like to sell most at prices higher than 30kt unless demand is high Sometimes they sell within a day or two and sometimes they don't sell at all. I exalt and move on bc I know there are a ton more dragons and users on site now than in the past, making it easy to find cheap dragons at fodder prices As a buyer, I almost tend to avoid hatcheries just because so many I come across have 100+kt/g dragons and I'm not paying that much for 1 dragon without something special about it beyond "rare color combo" or "new genes" Even 50kt pushes it for me bc I have to really like that specific dragon over similar cheaper ones I might find on the AH. [/quote] I can relate on the prices for sure! I cannot justify spending over 100kt/gems for a dragon unless it's REALLY special, can't really believe how much some people are charging, and it always seems they're the ones with 55 people on the pinglist! it's nuts! Personally I don't sell anything over 55kt, and that's only for rare eyes/gene and colour combos, 30kt pretty much my limit on most hatchies.
DeathSpecter wrote on 2024-03-25 07:33:37:
As a hatchery owner who started out way back in 2016 ish I don't feel like mine ever "took off" so I suppose I never saw much change over the years lol

Then again, I'm mostly a casual hatchery. I have pairs, I still create more without expecting to make a profit or getting back the loss from gening them, and don't like to sell most at prices higher than 30kt unless demand is high

Sometimes they sell within a day or two and sometimes they don't sell at all. I exalt and move on bc I know there are a ton more dragons and users on site now than in the past, making it easy to find cheap dragons at fodder prices

As a buyer, I almost tend to avoid hatcheries just because so many I come across have 100+kt/g dragons and I'm not paying that much for 1 dragon without something special about it beyond "rare color combo" or "new genes"

Even 50kt pushes it for me bc I have to really like that specific dragon over similar cheaper ones I might find on the AH.

I can relate on the prices for sure! I cannot justify spending over 100kt/gems for a dragon unless it's REALLY special, can't really believe how much some people are charging, and it always seems they're the ones with 55 people on the pinglist! it's nuts!

Personally I don't sell anything over 55kt, and that's only for rare eyes/gene and colour combos, 30kt pretty much my limit on most hatchies.
[quote name="Achaius" date="2024-03-25 07:27:39" ] I can only speak for myself, but I've been very much bitten by the project bug. When I was a new player, it was enough just to buy & have neat dragons; now I want to create neat dragons. It's a bit like becoming a g1 lair, except I still take dragons of all gens. If I buy a gorgeous off-the-shelf hatchery dragon for 100kt, it's like, okay now what? It's not that satisfying. [/quote] This is so me. I do occasionally buy a hatchery dragon for an expensive price (if it has the colors/gem genes I want, usually), but I do so less often than buying cheaper dragons that I make "mine" by regening somehow. And for my own hatchlings, I usually only price 12-20g, so that if they don't sell, no problem! I can exalt and make half the money anyway, and then have enough space to breed again! Thus the cycle continues, resulting in a steady income whether the babies sell or not, but hatchlings of my special (to me at least) color combos are also regularly available to buy if someone wants one ^^ I'm always amazed that people put up their hatchlings for such large amounts tbh; I gene up some of my pairs with Gem genes and still send off the babies at relatively low prices. I'd hate to wait for a buyer and not exalt because of potential lost profit lol. I guess if you're a very popular hatchery it's not as big a deal though. All that being said I enjoy looking through hatcheries; if I am going to buy an expensive baby I [i]will[/i] wait forever for a perfect colored one to hatch, I'm pretty picky these days.
Achaius wrote on 2024-03-25 07:27:39:
I can only speak for myself, but I've been very much bitten by the project bug. When I was a new player, it was enough just to buy & have neat dragons; now I want to create neat dragons. It's a bit like becoming a g1 lair, except I still take dragons of all gens.

If I buy a gorgeous off-the-shelf hatchery dragon for 100kt, it's like, okay now what? It's not that satisfying.

This is so me. I do occasionally buy a hatchery dragon for an expensive price (if it has the colors/gem genes I want, usually), but I do so less often than buying cheaper dragons that I make "mine" by regening somehow. And for my own hatchlings, I usually only price 12-20g, so that if they don't sell, no problem! I can exalt and make half the money anyway, and then have enough space to breed again! Thus the cycle continues, resulting in a steady income whether the babies sell or not, but hatchlings of my special (to me at least) color combos are also regularly available to buy if someone wants one ^^

I'm always amazed that people put up their hatchlings for such large amounts tbh; I gene up some of my pairs with Gem genes and still send off the babies at relatively low prices. I'd hate to wait for a buyer and not exalt because of potential lost profit lol. I guess if you're a very popular hatchery it's not as big a deal though.

All that being said I enjoy looking through hatcheries; if I am going to buy an expensive baby I will wait forever for a perfect colored one to hatch, I'm pretty picky these days.
__________________My Random Progen, Faendal Avatar Dragon
Dragonsona
Hatchery
Autumncore
I enjoy being pinged :) I also like Stars on my dragons!
My Custom Progen, Iselene
[quote name="Nightkore" date="2024-03-25 01:19:12" ] Now it just seems like half the posts in every hatchery are just bumps, the prices have skyrocketed and starting out leads to virtually no takers. [/quote] Hatchery owner here. Absolutely this. I can do everything to advertise, on site and off site, and still I feel that the majority of dragons end up as fodder. I have several pairs that have only sold a handful of their offspring, and I’m honestly just considering retiring several pairs cuz they don’t sell. I tried to start out as a mostly xyz fun matchy hatchery, but most of my xyz pairs just don’t move. I’ve noticed that the xxx and xxy pairs are the only ones that really sell, with few exceptions. It’s a little frustrating. And about the prices skyrocketing, I’ve tried my best to keep mine low but above fodder floor, and people still don’t bite.
Nightkore wrote on 2024-03-25 01:19:12:
Now it just seems like half the posts in every hatchery are just bumps, the prices have skyrocketed and starting out leads to virtually no takers.

Hatchery owner here. Absolutely this. I can do everything to advertise, on site and off site, and still I feel that the majority of dragons end up as fodder. I have several pairs that have only sold a handful of their offspring, and I’m honestly just considering retiring several pairs cuz they don’t sell. I tried to start out as a mostly xyz fun matchy hatchery, but most of my xyz pairs just don’t move. I’ve noticed that the xxx and xxy pairs are the only ones that really sell, with few exceptions. It’s a little frustrating. And about the prices skyrocketing, I’ve tried my best to keep mine low but above fodder floor, and people still don’t bite.
Ukt5hov.png 6WJQDgR.png D55IPKI.png 87195919.png he/him
I definitely agree with most of the things people are saying here.
As a relatively new player I love hatcheries for finding dragons with neat colours, and modifying them a little to fit my own breedings. I'm a regular buyer from them, but, like others have said- I don't tend to want more than one dragon from a pair unless they're very very varied.
I definitely agree with most of the things people are saying here.
As a relatively new player I love hatcheries for finding dragons with neat colours, and modifying them a little to fit my own breedings. I'm a regular buyer from them, but, like others have said- I don't tend to want more than one dragon from a pair unless they're very very varied.
Hey, I'm Kabet!
He/They/Any

Wishlist
As someone who started out in 2015, with the caveat I've never done a hatchery myself, it seems like it's always been this way. Unless you were selling imperials very early in the site's run, it's the unfortunate truth that most dragons are exalt price.

Personally, I only buy from hatcheries as an incidental thing. I was revitalizing my subspecies and two of the dragons I bought just happened to be hatchery. Both of them had name and gene changes.

It's not just hatcheries; I have a whole tab of pretty g1s I will exalt come wavecrest's push. At least those used to sell. It's just market oversatuaration.
As someone who started out in 2015, with the caveat I've never done a hatchery myself, it seems like it's always been this way. Unless you were selling imperials very early in the site's run, it's the unfortunate truth that most dragons are exalt price.

Personally, I only buy from hatcheries as an incidental thing. I was revitalizing my subspecies and two of the dragons I bought just happened to be hatchery. Both of them had name and gene changes.

It's not just hatcheries; I have a whole tab of pretty g1s I will exalt come wavecrest's push. At least those used to sell. It's just market oversatuaration.
Silver Pocketwatch Copper Pocketwatch
[quote name="kadeunderscore" date="2024-03-25 12:18:34" ] [quote name="Nightkore" date="2024-03-25 01:19:12" ] Now it just seems like half the posts in every hatchery are just bumps, the prices have skyrocketed and starting out leads to virtually no takers. [/quote] Hatchery owner here. Absolutely this. I can do everything to advertise, on site and off site, and still I feel that the majority of dragons end up as fodder. I have several pairs that have only sold a handful of their offspring, and I’m honestly just considering retiring several pairs cuz they don’t sell. I tried to start out as a mostly xyz fun matchy hatchery, but most of my xyz pairs just don’t move. I’ve noticed that the xxx and xxy pairs are the only ones that really sell, with few exceptions. It’s a little frustrating. And about the prices skyrocketing, I’ve tried my best to keep mine low but above fodder floor, and people still don’t bite. [/quote] Literally same here! I honestly don't quite get what the obsession with XXX is tbh, I much prefer a bit of variety! I have a few pairs that are XXY or XYY but damn do I love a colourful dragon. To be honest, I think my goal now is more looking to breed unique colour combos, I got my first 1/1 the other day and I am honestly a little obsessed haha
kadeunderscore wrote on 2024-03-25 12:18:34:
Now it just seems like half the posts in every hatchery are just bumps, the prices have skyrocketed and starting out leads to virtually no takers.

Hatchery owner here. Absolutely this. I can do everything to advertise, on site and off site, and still I feel that the majority of dragons end up as fodder. I have several pairs that have only sold a handful of their offspring, and I’m honestly just considering retiring several pairs cuz they don’t sell. I tried to start out as a mostly xyz fun matchy hatchery, but most of my xyz pairs just don’t move. I’ve noticed that the xxx and xxy pairs are the only ones that really sell, with few exceptions. It’s a little frustrating. And about the prices skyrocketing, I’ve tried my best to keep mine low but above fodder floor, and people still don’t bite.

Literally same here! I honestly don't quite get what the obsession with XXX is tbh, I much prefer a bit of variety! I have a few pairs that are XXY or XYY but damn do I love a colourful dragon. To be honest, I think my goal now is more looking to breed unique colour combos, I got my first 1/1 the other day and I am honestly a little obsessed haha
I tried doing a hatchery way back in the day, and I just didn't vibe with it. It's a lot of work for hit and miss sales, and this was years ago. I imagine it's only gotten worse since the AH is inundated with cheap dragons of all sorts - even triples are easy and inexpensive to acquire now. It seems like you've really gotta commit to a niche, and I don't want to do that. I like my chaotic 'whatever I was feeling when I hatched or bought this dragon' lair, and I still use a lot of old and unpopular genes if they're what best suits my project. Their babies would never sell for anything above fodder floor, so I don't see the need to spend a lot of energy trying to ship them out to new homes. They can go mop Tidelord's empty halls while he's gone, and then I don't have to worry about keeping them fed.

Alternatively, if the niche route isn't your thing, you REALLY just... need to be willing to spend a fortune on new breed changes or new genes on the day that they drop, boon the nest, and have your dragons on the market before all the other people trying to do the same thing. Hopefully people frantic to get the Shiny+New things will be willing to spend enough that you'll recoup your costs and make some extra before the prices start falling. If you're the only hatchery who immediately has the new things available, people will buy.
I tried doing a hatchery way back in the day, and I just didn't vibe with it. It's a lot of work for hit and miss sales, and this was years ago. I imagine it's only gotten worse since the AH is inundated with cheap dragons of all sorts - even triples are easy and inexpensive to acquire now. It seems like you've really gotta commit to a niche, and I don't want to do that. I like my chaotic 'whatever I was feeling when I hatched or bought this dragon' lair, and I still use a lot of old and unpopular genes if they're what best suits my project. Their babies would never sell for anything above fodder floor, so I don't see the need to spend a lot of energy trying to ship them out to new homes. They can go mop Tidelord's empty halls while he's gone, and then I don't have to worry about keeping them fed.

Alternatively, if the niche route isn't your thing, you REALLY just... need to be willing to spend a fortune on new breed changes or new genes on the day that they drop, boon the nest, and have your dragons on the market before all the other people trying to do the same thing. Hopefully people frantic to get the Shiny+New things will be willing to spend enough that you'll recoup your costs and make some extra before the prices start falling. If you're the only hatchery who immediately has the new things available, people will buy.
SFixrnH.pngIeBhKII.png Tf2WhDq.pngnJ9aapY.png
[quote name="Nightkore" date="2024-03-25 14:46:29" ] [quote name="kadeunderscore" date="2024-03-25 12:18:34" ] [quote name="Nightkore" date="2024-03-25 01:19:12" ] Now it just seems like half the posts in every hatchery are just bumps, the prices have skyrocketed and starting out leads to virtually no takers. [/quote] Hatchery owner here. Absolutely this. I can do everything to advertise, on site and off site, and still I feel that the majority of dragons end up as fodder. I have several pairs that have only sold a handful of their offspring, and I’m honestly just considering retiring several pairs cuz they don’t sell. I tried to start out as a mostly xyz fun matchy hatchery, but most of my xyz pairs just don’t move. I’ve noticed that the xxx and xxy pairs are the only ones that really sell, with few exceptions. It’s a little frustrating. And about the prices skyrocketing, I’ve tried my best to keep mine low but above fodder floor, and people still don’t bite. [/quote] Literally same here! I honestly don't quite get what the obsession with XXX is tbh, I much prefer a bit of variety! I have a few pairs that are XXY or XYY but damn do I love a colourful dragon. To be honest, I think my goal now is more looking to breed unique colour combos, I got my first 1/1 the other day and I am honestly a little obsessed haha [/quote] xxx’s aren’t my thing either but i do have a lot of them, some of them hatchery dragons, because i wanted a bunch of stock the pond pairs as fodder breeders so that might be part of the market?
Nightkore wrote on 2024-03-25 14:46:29:
kadeunderscore wrote on 2024-03-25 12:18:34:

Literally same here! I honestly don't quite get what the obsession with XXX is tbh, I much prefer a bit of variety! I have a few pairs that are XXY or XYY but damn do I love a colourful dragon. To be honest, I think my goal now is more looking to breed unique colour combos, I got my first 1/1 the other day and I am honestly a little obsessed haha

xxx’s aren’t my thing either but i do have a lot of them, some of them hatchery dragons, because i wanted a bunch of stock the pond pairs as fodder breeders so that might be part of the market?
D9XjOpZ.jpg
It has become difficult to sell dragons outside of fodder prices even when it comes to G1s, so no wonder, it's really sad.

But I think I am also just being affected by the lack of space
It has become difficult to sell dragons outside of fodder prices even when it comes to G1s, so no wonder, it's really sad.

But I think I am also just being affected by the lack of space
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
I have a semi-hatchery (it's mostly just a hub for pinglists honestly), I haven't had any more trouble selling dragons then I had when I first started making nicer pairs 6ish years ago.

Might just be a result of my playstyle though. I have enough pairs to have a nest every day, a lot of aesthetic variety, only a few of my pairs make clones, and I usually keep my prices at 25kt/g (with the exceptions of occasional art dragons, new genes (higher) and STP hatchlings (15kt)). So I have a higher chance of someone stumbling across one of my AH listings than someone who's got 5 pairs with similar aesthetics trying to sell hatchlings at 150kt.

I'm also completely willing to fodder any and all hatchlings that don't sell in the first week or two after I list them on the AH.

Some weeks I don't sell anything but fodder, and some weeks I can sell 10 different dragons for full price. This week I sold 8, and I'm pretty happy with that!

I breed mostly for fun though. I'm here to make dragons I like and crack open their eggs like those little collectable mystery goodie bags.
I have a semi-hatchery (it's mostly just a hub for pinglists honestly), I haven't had any more trouble selling dragons then I had when I first started making nicer pairs 6ish years ago.

Might just be a result of my playstyle though. I have enough pairs to have a nest every day, a lot of aesthetic variety, only a few of my pairs make clones, and I usually keep my prices at 25kt/g (with the exceptions of occasional art dragons, new genes (higher) and STP hatchlings (15kt)). So I have a higher chance of someone stumbling across one of my AH listings than someone who's got 5 pairs with similar aesthetics trying to sell hatchlings at 150kt.

I'm also completely willing to fodder any and all hatchlings that don't sell in the first week or two after I list them on the AH.

Some weeks I don't sell anything but fodder, and some weeks I can sell 10 different dragons for full price. This week I sold 8, and I'm pretty happy with that!

I breed mostly for fun though. I'm here to make dragons I like and crack open their eggs like those little collectable mystery goodie bags.
5X7uUDht.png

~3 hours ahead of FR time~
~She/Her~
Dragons for Sale
1 2 3 4