Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | neurodiversity vistas?
1 2 3
...I can't think of a better all-encompassing term so apologies in advance, but it just struck me that if there ever was a round 2 of pride vistas released, should we get some to represent neurodiversity too?

I see a lot of stuff in forum signatures like autism pride/identity symbols and I'm wondering if we could get something similar at some point?

Not doing this in the suggestions forum because it's not a suggestion, it's just more of a genuine question.

EDIT: No, I'm NOT implying that being LGBTQ+ and being neurodivergent are the same thing. I'm just curious if anyone wants a similar set of vistas to represent autism, etc.? It doesn't have to be ribbons either. Just any type of vista really.
...I can't think of a better all-encompassing term so apologies in advance, but it just struck me that if there ever was a round 2 of pride vistas released, should we get some to represent neurodiversity too?

I see a lot of stuff in forum signatures like autism pride/identity symbols and I'm wondering if we could get something similar at some point?

Not doing this in the suggestions forum because it's not a suggestion, it's just more of a genuine question.

EDIT: No, I'm NOT implying that being LGBTQ+ and being neurodivergent are the same thing. I'm just curious if anyone wants a similar set of vistas to represent autism, etc.? It doesn't have to be ribbons either. Just any type of vista really.
Local Overthinker, He/Him, Pings and notifications are fine.
I don't think stuff like autism spectrum disorder warrants a forum decoration. Before you shake your pitchforks and torches at me, let me explain.

I was diagnosed with ASD at a very young age, and a good portion of the bullying I went through in middle school happened because I was terrible at picking up on social cues. Many facets of my behavior, from my unique speech pattern to my ability to hyper-focus on a given task, stem from being on the spectrum. Having ASD can sometimes be a stumbling block to being an independent adult, but there are facets that make people excel in certain areas of life.

I get that people are happy about the new forum decorations. I have a cousin who recently came out as transgender, and I know that if they played this game, they would be delighted to have one of these. And yet, somehow, having a fancy forum decoration tells me nothing about the kind of person someone is. While it is certainly acceptable to have autism, or be gay, transgender, etc., that cannot be all you are, can it?
I don't think stuff like autism spectrum disorder warrants a forum decoration. Before you shake your pitchforks and torches at me, let me explain.

I was diagnosed with ASD at a very young age, and a good portion of the bullying I went through in middle school happened because I was terrible at picking up on social cues. Many facets of my behavior, from my unique speech pattern to my ability to hyper-focus on a given task, stem from being on the spectrum. Having ASD can sometimes be a stumbling block to being an independent adult, but there are facets that make people excel in certain areas of life.

I get that people are happy about the new forum decorations. I have a cousin who recently came out as transgender, and I know that if they played this game, they would be delighted to have one of these. And yet, somehow, having a fancy forum decoration tells me nothing about the kind of person someone is. While it is certainly acceptable to have autism, or be gay, transgender, etc., that cannot be all you are, can it?
Call me AKDG.
Dragon enthusiast (seriously, space dragons are my aesthetic)
Relentless proponent of STEM
FR+0
I'd love a rainbow infinity vista as a general neurodivergence symbol [emoji=wildclaw happy size=1]
I'd love a rainbow infinity vista as a general neurodivergence symbol
!! signature under construction !!
[quote name="AnakidaDragalaxy" date="2023-01-19 22:56:34" ] I get that people are happy about the new forum decorations. I have a cousin who recently came out as transgender, and I know that if they played this game, they would be delighted to have one of these. And yet, somehow, having a fancy forum decoration tells me nothing about the kind of person someone is. While it is certainly acceptable to have autism, or be gay, transgender, etc., that cannot be all you are, can it? [/quote] N-no? What's your point? I fail to understand how wanting to visually show off aspects of yourself you're proud of is in any way a statement that it's your one and only trait? With that in mind, if people want neurodivergent ribbon vistas for [i]their[/i] pride (there are autism-inclusive pride flags, for example), then I don't see why they shouldn't be able to have them. I'm not among said people (at least, I've never been tested - multiple people think I have some level of ADHD but I refuse to claim I do until I have proof of it), but I think their pride and desire to express that pride is valid. They face discrimination and hate too - just as you've explained about yourself - in a way similar to LGBT. We're considered ""different"", and therefore bad to many hateful people in the world.
AnakidaDragalaxy wrote on 2023-01-19 22:56:34:

N-no? What's your point?

I fail to understand how wanting to visually show off aspects of yourself you're proud of is in any way a statement that it's your one and only trait? With that in mind, if people want neurodivergent ribbon vistas for their pride (there are autism-inclusive pride flags, for example), then I don't see why they shouldn't be able to have them. I'm not among said people (at least, I've never been tested - multiple people think I have some level of ADHD but I refuse to claim I do until I have proof of it), but I think their pride and desire to express that pride is valid. They face discrimination and hate too - just as you've explained about yourself - in a way similar to LGBT. We're considered ""different"", and therefore bad to many hateful people in the world.
mlHpBMC.png
9hqcHsy.png
ZxAR91S.png
HkZAJYc.png
watervs1.pngHbzShnh.pngmbWgKmD.pngwatershieldr.png
[quote name="AnakidaDragalaxy" date="2023-01-19 22:56:34" ] And yet, somehow, having a fancy forum decoration tells me nothing about the kind of person someone is. While it is certainly acceptable to have autism, or be gay, transgender, etc., that cannot be all you are, can it? [/quote] No, but it's one part of what we are, and one part of what our dragons are. One of my dragons is intersex, and her mate is grey-ace, and now both of them have vistas saying so. It doesn't mean there's nothing else to be said about them, but it's one thing that can be said about them. So now I'm saying it with their vistas as well as in their bios. Lots of people on this site have the little buttons in their sig that refer to various identities or long-term conditions that they have. They want those things about them to be known to other people, often because it gives them a sense of community to be able to say "Oh, me too." And likewise, plenty of people's dragons have identities or long-term conditions listed in their bios. This is just another way to do the same thing. And it's one that players particularly value, because it's not just FR having no problem with people saying they or their dragons have these identities. FR is handing them official game assets to help them do that, which is strongly affirming and supportive of them. The OP evidently feels that it would be good if FR expressed affirmation and support for neurodiversity as well. I do know autistic people who would be pleased about it. And it's not as if anyone has to use any game asset if they don't want to.
AnakidaDragalaxy wrote on 2023-01-19 22:56:34:
And yet, somehow, having a fancy forum decoration tells me nothing about the kind of person someone is. While it is certainly acceptable to have autism, or be gay, transgender, etc., that cannot be all you are, can it?

No, but it's one part of what we are, and one part of what our dragons are.

One of my dragons is intersex, and her mate is grey-ace, and now both of them have vistas saying so. It doesn't mean there's nothing else to be said about them, but it's one thing that can be said about them. So now I'm saying it with their vistas as well as in their bios.

Lots of people on this site have the little buttons in their sig that refer to various identities or long-term conditions that they have. They want those things about them to be known to other people, often because it gives them a sense of community to be able to say "Oh, me too."

And likewise, plenty of people's dragons have identities or long-term conditions listed in their bios. This is just another way to do the same thing.

And it's one that players particularly value, because it's not just FR having no problem with people saying they or their dragons have these identities. FR is handing them official game assets to help them do that, which is strongly affirming and supportive of them.

The OP evidently feels that it would be good if FR expressed affirmation and support for neurodiversity as well. I do know autistic people who would be pleased about it. And it's not as if anyone has to use any game asset if they don't want to.

tumblr_inline_nhxp29cBNA1qcphlu.png
Buying an additional apparel slot
unlocks it for ALL your dragons,
not just one!
oooooh I've been seeing this butterfly pop up here and there as a symbol for ADHD pride, I think the concept would make such a pretty visa [img]https://www.disabled-world.com/pics/1/adhd-rainbow-butterfly.png[/img] I feel the concept can be a but tricky though, since we're discussing medical conditions. I just know staff can be diligent when it comes to ensuring people's privacy so its hard to say wether they would consider it or not. but I hope they do! edit: just swapped out the image for a more forum friendly version
oooooh I've been seeing this butterfly pop up here and there as a symbol for ADHD pride, I think the concept would make such a pretty visa

adhd-rainbow-butterfly.png

I feel the concept can be a but tricky though, since we're discussing medical conditions. I just know staff can be diligent when it comes to ensuring people's privacy so its hard to say wether they would consider it or not. but I hope they do!

edit: just swapped out the image for a more forum friendly version
dOfXepK.gif
Oh, I'd love one for the schizophrenic spectrum. Would I get one? I doubt it with how much bread crumbs we get, as well as how...shy. We can be. The world absolutely hates us, so we tend to hide a lot. But this is literally the only place where I feel comfortable being open about being on that spectrum to complete strangers. I've shown off my dragon with schizophrenia multiple times, and I'm surprised how welcoming people are to the idea of him every time!
I'm much prouder of being schizophrenic than being aro or ace, so I'd much rather have a silver ribbon. Mostly because, I'm a survivor, and I'd like that to be known.
Oh, I'd love one for the schizophrenic spectrum. Would I get one? I doubt it with how much bread crumbs we get, as well as how...shy. We can be. The world absolutely hates us, so we tend to hide a lot. But this is literally the only place where I feel comfortable being open about being on that spectrum to complete strangers. I've shown off my dragon with schizophrenia multiple times, and I'm surprised how welcoming people are to the idea of him every time!
I'm much prouder of being schizophrenic than being aro or ace, so I'd much rather have a silver ribbon. Mostly because, I'm a survivor, and I'd like that to be known.
FObX7rS.png
apUeZZ4.png
If you ping me, please remember to include capitals for each word or I won't get your ping! It's GaleGecko, not galegecko.
@AnakidaDragalaxy / AKDG, on the last question: No, otherwise I'd be stuck trying to pigeonhole myself into certain roles just because of my transgender identity.

To me, the vistas/decorations/flags/ribbons/etc. only reveals a part of myself to other users, what I'm prideful in, and what makes me happy.

BUT if a person (gay, trans, bi, pan, ace, anybody really) chooses not to use flags, labels, or any other symbol to represent themselves... that's equally valid too.

There are plenty of people who don't use labels for varying reasons, and sometimes that reason IS because of a similar sentiment: because they feel a label/symbol reduces them, as an entire person made up of many things, to only one part of themselves. There's also the other reason that they feel like the labels further disconnect them from being a "normal" person (e.g. a transmale person feeling like if they call themselves a "transgender dude" instead of "dude" is not accepting their own identity). Not all transgender individuals feel the same way, but generally, the idea is that they should call themselves whatever is the most comfortable for them. The same goes for gay, bi, ace, etc.

Happiness always comes first.

A gay person can use the gay ribbon vista. And a different gay person can choose not to use it. Maybe one of them also likes using labels, while the other one doesn't. It's fine and both can coexist in the same space. It's just preference and respect.

I was coming into this thread with a similar attitude about neurodiversity:

I'm aware not everyone wants to slap a sticker of their disability or diagnosis on themselves, but I'm also aware that some do (otherwise I would never see "Autism" tags in signatures). It's ultimately an individual's choice on what they want to do and there's no shame in their decisions.

BUT I'm also super out of touch with the neurodivergent and disabled communities. If it turns out that the overwhelming answer from other players is "the pride vistas are nice but I don't want any to represent me because [insert reason here]" then that's something I have to respect and acknowledge too.

I apologize for the heavy LGBT-focused-ish post but I can only talk from my experiences. So hopefully this makes sense?
@AnakidaDragalaxy / AKDG, on the last question: No, otherwise I'd be stuck trying to pigeonhole myself into certain roles just because of my transgender identity.

To me, the vistas/decorations/flags/ribbons/etc. only reveals a part of myself to other users, what I'm prideful in, and what makes me happy.

BUT if a person (gay, trans, bi, pan, ace, anybody really) chooses not to use flags, labels, or any other symbol to represent themselves... that's equally valid too.

There are plenty of people who don't use labels for varying reasons, and sometimes that reason IS because of a similar sentiment: because they feel a label/symbol reduces them, as an entire person made up of many things, to only one part of themselves. There's also the other reason that they feel like the labels further disconnect them from being a "normal" person (e.g. a transmale person feeling like if they call themselves a "transgender dude" instead of "dude" is not accepting their own identity). Not all transgender individuals feel the same way, but generally, the idea is that they should call themselves whatever is the most comfortable for them. The same goes for gay, bi, ace, etc.

Happiness always comes first.

A gay person can use the gay ribbon vista. And a different gay person can choose not to use it. Maybe one of them also likes using labels, while the other one doesn't. It's fine and both can coexist in the same space. It's just preference and respect.

I was coming into this thread with a similar attitude about neurodiversity:

I'm aware not everyone wants to slap a sticker of their disability or diagnosis on themselves, but I'm also aware that some do (otherwise I would never see "Autism" tags in signatures). It's ultimately an individual's choice on what they want to do and there's no shame in their decisions.

BUT I'm also super out of touch with the neurodivergent and disabled communities. If it turns out that the overwhelming answer from other players is "the pride vistas are nice but I don't want any to represent me because [insert reason here]" then that's something I have to respect and acknowledge too.

I apologize for the heavy LGBT-focused-ish post but I can only talk from my experiences. So hopefully this makes sense?
the above post was posted before I saw the other replies so... welp.

@LuminAgricola made a better point than me
the above post was posted before I saw the other replies so... welp.

@LuminAgricola made a better point than me
This would be nice but then, what about the other people with other things? What about the other sexualities or other disorders or other genders that don't get added? Not everyone will be happy no matter what ends up getting added. I don't think they need to add more.
This would be nice but then, what about the other people with other things? What about the other sexualities or other disorders or other genders that don't get added? Not everyone will be happy no matter what ends up getting added. I don't think they need to add more.
IMG_3849.png
1 2 3