Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | neurodiversity vistas?
1 2 3
[quote name="DoubleO" date="2023-01-19 23:56:37" ] @AnakidaDragalaxy / AKDG, on the last question: No, otherwise I'd be stuck trying to pigeonhole myself into certain roles just because of my transgender identity. To me, the vistas/decorations/flags/ribbons/etc. only reveals a part of myself to other users, what I'm prideful in, and what makes me happy. BUT if a person (gay, trans, bi, pan, ace, anybody really) chooses not to use flags, labels, or any other symbol to represent themselves... that's equally valid too. There are plenty of people who don't use labels for varying reasons, and sometimes that reason IS because of a similar sentiment: because they feel a label/symbol reduces them, as an entire person made up of many things, to only one part of themselves. There's also the other reason that they feel like the labels further disconnect them from being a "normal" person (e.g. a transmale person feeling like if they call themselves a "transgender dude" instead of "dude" is not accepting their own identity). Not all transgender individuals feel the same way, but generally, the idea is that they should call themselves whatever is the most comfortable for them. The same goes for gay, bi, ace, etc. Happiness always comes first. A gay person can use the gay ribbon vista. And a different gay person can choose not to use it. Maybe one of them also likes using labels, while the other one doesn't. It's fine and both can coexist in the same space. It's just preference and respect. I was coming into this thread with a similar attitude about neurodiversity: I'm aware not everyone wants to slap a sticker of their disability or diagnosis on themselves, but I'm also aware that some do (otherwise I would never see "Autism" tags in signatures). It's ultimately an individual's choice on what they want to do and there's no shame in their decisions. BUT I'm also super out of touch with the neurodivergent and disabled communities. If it turns out that the overwhelming answer from other players is "the pride vistas are nice but I don't want any to represent me because [insert reason here]" then that's something I have to respect and acknowledge too. I apologize for the heavy LGBT-focused-ish post but I can only talk from my experiences. So hopefully this makes sense? [/quote] Sure thing. :)
DoubleO wrote on 2023-01-19 23:56:37:
@AnakidaDragalaxy / AKDG, on the last question: No, otherwise I'd be stuck trying to pigeonhole myself into certain roles just because of my transgender identity.

To me, the vistas/decorations/flags/ribbons/etc. only reveals a part of myself to other users, what I'm prideful in, and what makes me happy.

BUT if a person (gay, trans, bi, pan, ace, anybody really) chooses not to use flags, labels, or any other symbol to represent themselves... that's equally valid too.

There are plenty of people who don't use labels for varying reasons, and sometimes that reason IS because of a similar sentiment: because they feel a label/symbol reduces them, as an entire person made up of many things, to only one part of themselves. There's also the other reason that they feel like the labels further disconnect them from being a "normal" person (e.g. a transmale person feeling like if they call themselves a "transgender dude" instead of "dude" is not accepting their own identity). Not all transgender individuals feel the same way, but generally, the idea is that they should call themselves whatever is the most comfortable for them. The same goes for gay, bi, ace, etc.

Happiness always comes first.

A gay person can use the gay ribbon vista. And a different gay person can choose not to use it. Maybe one of them also likes using labels, while the other one doesn't. It's fine and both can coexist in the same space. It's just preference and respect.

I was coming into this thread with a similar attitude about neurodiversity:

I'm aware not everyone wants to slap a sticker of their disability or diagnosis on themselves, but I'm also aware that some do (otherwise I would never see "Autism" tags in signatures). It's ultimately an individual's choice on what they want to do and there's no shame in their decisions.

BUT I'm also super out of touch with the neurodivergent and disabled communities. If it turns out that the overwhelming answer from other players is "the pride vistas are nice but I don't want any to represent me because [insert reason here]" then that's something I have to respect and acknowledge too.

I apologize for the heavy LGBT-focused-ish post but I can only talk from my experiences. So hopefully this makes sense?

Sure thing. :)
Call me AKDG.
Dragon enthusiast (seriously, space dragons are my aesthetic)
Relentless proponent of STEM
FR+0
Despite several of the pride vistas (arguably - there's a reason I'll argue it despite knowing full well what my sexuality is because people are complicated and those labels miss a lot of how I am aware of what I am) applying to me they actually made me uncomfortable as yet another reminder of how to some people I'm doing me gender and sexuality wrong.

The worst part for me in all that is that with how passionate people are about the whole thing I'm now afraid to give my opinion on that after several people have said that they're using people's discomfort or dislike of the vistas to determine who to block and then sharing 'block lists' with each other to make sure they don't miss anyone. So, uh, that's doing the opposite of the intended function for me by creating a feeling of isolation and heightened discomfort.

The last thing I want is vistas to make me feel the same way about how I think and interact with the world/how my brain influences both.

On the other hand I totally support it for other people who like that kind of thing because I know the lack of it makes them feel the same way the presence of the vistas does for me.

I just wish there was a middle ground or something, but it really feels like an all or nothing kind of deal.
Despite several of the pride vistas (arguably - there's a reason I'll argue it despite knowing full well what my sexuality is because people are complicated and those labels miss a lot of how I am aware of what I am) applying to me they actually made me uncomfortable as yet another reminder of how to some people I'm doing me gender and sexuality wrong.

The worst part for me in all that is that with how passionate people are about the whole thing I'm now afraid to give my opinion on that after several people have said that they're using people's discomfort or dislike of the vistas to determine who to block and then sharing 'block lists' with each other to make sure they don't miss anyone. So, uh, that's doing the opposite of the intended function for me by creating a feeling of isolation and heightened discomfort.

The last thing I want is vistas to make me feel the same way about how I think and interact with the world/how my brain influences both.

On the other hand I totally support it for other people who like that kind of thing because I know the lack of it makes them feel the same way the presence of the vistas does for me.

I just wish there was a middle ground or something, but it really feels like an all or nothing kind of deal.
@Teeka If they would block you for something like that, they aren't the sort of people you'd want to be interacting with, right? Better off saying how you feel, other people who agree with you will feel better about it when they see you speaking up. If they make you uncomfortable to see, then block the people who use them.

The middle ground is to not use them for yourself. don't buy, it's fully optional. It's the middle ground between "not having them at all" and "everyone being forced to choose only one and being forced to display it"

anyway, this thread is about the possibility of neurodivergent and disability pride vistas, not whether you like the LGBTQI vistas.

@Teeka If they would block you for something like that, they aren't the sort of people you'd want to be interacting with, right? Better off saying how you feel, other people who agree with you will feel better about it when they see you speaking up. If they make you uncomfortable to see, then block the people who use them.

The middle ground is to not use them for yourself. don't buy, it's fully optional. It's the middle ground between "not having them at all" and "everyone being forced to choose only one and being forced to display it"

anyway, this thread is about the possibility of neurodivergent and disability pride vistas, not whether you like the LGBTQI vistas.

33352.png U65gRpm.png EP9270D.png 33351.png
While I wouldn't necessarily buy any for myself, there are clearly users on this site who want to display ND and disability pride, and I have in the past. I don't see a reason not to have them available as an option.

Anyone saying they should stop here for some arbitrary reason-- you could say that about any other type of vista. They already have enough vistas with animals on them, the Corgi is going too far, etc. It's very interesting that people only seem to bring that sort of thing up when it has to do with certain types of people.
While I wouldn't necessarily buy any for myself, there are clearly users on this site who want to display ND and disability pride, and I have in the past. I don't see a reason not to have them available as an option.

Anyone saying they should stop here for some arbitrary reason-- you could say that about any other type of vista. They already have enough vistas with animals on them, the Corgi is going too far, etc. It's very interesting that people only seem to bring that sort of thing up when it has to do with certain types of people.
33352.png U65gRpm.png EP9270D.png 33351.png
I think as long as its done after some research into the individual communities (eg- absolutely no puzzle pieces for anything autism related) then it could be great. It's always nice to offer more choice to players. Feeling pride about a certain aspect of your person isn't limiting or pigeonholing yourself into a category, it's just showing that pride you feel, or wanting to signal to others who would have something in common with you.
I think as long as its done after some research into the individual communities (eg- absolutely no puzzle pieces for anything autism related) then it could be great. It's always nice to offer more choice to players. Feeling pride about a certain aspect of your person isn't limiting or pigeonholing yourself into a category, it's just showing that pride you feel, or wanting to signal to others who would have something in common with you.
xoTBwi7.png
Agree with @Teeka on feeling a bit exposed, for lack of a better word? But overall I think the team had the right idea.

However, while a single neurodivergent vista would be easy enough to do, not sure how they would do a vista for some types that are not based on stereotypes. Pretty sure mine doesn't have a flag/colour association.

And considering people argue about whether my disorder fits in under the neurodivergent umbrella or not (or people like to joke that they have it) I'd personally rather avoid it. I guess I see it is a bit easier to determine what is a sexuality and what is a gender, than whether a mental illness should fit under the same umbrella as autism. But that may be my own experiences talking and others may see it differently.
Agree with @Teeka on feeling a bit exposed, for lack of a better word? But overall I think the team had the right idea.

However, while a single neurodivergent vista would be easy enough to do, not sure how they would do a vista for some types that are not based on stereotypes. Pretty sure mine doesn't have a flag/colour association.

And considering people argue about whether my disorder fits in under the neurodivergent umbrella or not (or people like to joke that they have it) I'd personally rather avoid it. I guess I see it is a bit easier to determine what is a sexuality and what is a gender, than whether a mental illness should fit under the same umbrella as autism. But that may be my own experiences talking and others may see it differently.
CK1QM1M.png91069659.png91292986.png91366580.png91366581.png91366582.png
im not opposed, although as someone that was an active everskies user it can get tricky. in ES there are nd and mental illness + disability badges and some of them caused huge issues between users . idk its kind of a can of worms bc it can cause unneeded fakeclaiming / other issues. like in ES it was stuff like 'youre speaking about x issue but I don't see you having x badge!" though ES is also 10000x more toxic so
im not opposed, although as someone that was an active everskies user it can get tricky. in ES there are nd and mental illness + disability badges and some of them caused huge issues between users . idk its kind of a can of worms bc it can cause unneeded fakeclaiming / other issues. like in ES it was stuff like 'youre speaking about x issue but I don't see you having x badge!" though ES is also 10000x more toxic so
1vAtYxM.png g4XyQaa.png 0eGuNQX.png 7ntZZGM.png
@GaleGecko you made my day just bringing the subject up and
@semisweet I cannot wait to show the household gender-non-conforming ADHD 10yo who has struggled SO hard in school that fantastic symbol, it's not one we've seen before

FR is a good space compared to so much of the 'net.
Not perfect, but good.
@GaleGecko you made my day just bringing the subject up and
@semisweet I cannot wait to show the household gender-non-conforming ADHD 10yo who has struggled SO hard in school that fantastic symbol, it's not one we've seen before

FR is a good space compared to so much of the 'net.
Not perfect, but good.
NBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gif
We Want Blep! Take Our money! We Want Blep! Take Our Money!

Please note - wonky eyes & busted hands; thanks for help & patience!
Eh, I'm gonna say no on this one. As others have said it would get incredibly tricky very fast. I'm not neurotypical myself, I just don't think this is a needed thing.
Eh, I'm gonna say no on this one. As others have said it would get incredibly tricky very fast. I'm not neurotypical myself, I just don't think this is a needed thing.
not opposed to this idea, but realistically the only flags that could be implemented are the autism ones, the general disabilities flags and maybe like, the bpd one. some mental illnesses have 'flags' but they tend to be niche, disputed and sometimes problematic in ways i don't think fr would be able to address. i think the disabilities flag could potentially be a good addition, considering it's an umbrella for everything from physical to invisible disabilities
not opposed to this idea, but realistically the only flags that could be implemented are the autism ones, the general disabilities flags and maybe like, the bpd one. some mental illnesses have 'flags' but they tend to be niche, disputed and sometimes problematic in ways i don't think fr would be able to address. i think the disabilities flag could potentially be a good addition, considering it's an umbrella for everything from physical to invisible disabilities
29vcwrR.gif

7XiycbK.gif
Se6OEzL.gif
efbd526ffdc363c82cdf72ac37ebe9caf36c32d0.gif
1 2 3