Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What do you do... [skins]
1 2
i always check the AH first for the specific breed and gender, and then the skins & accents forums, and then the database :> i too wish there was a tagging system or anything of that sort, i feel your pain of looking for something specific and having the hardest time finding it dkdjd
i always check the AH first for the specific breed and gender, and then the skins & accents forums, and then the database :> i too wish there was a tagging system or anything of that sort, i feel your pain of looking for something specific and having the hardest time finding it dkdjd
..................................... MUYNhfy.png
dEe2UrM.png

5hF3FGk.png
7Y0SkWr.png Np4NxIR.png
HZSRMw5.png
nL26Ewd.png
I'd just pick a weekend to comb throught the game database.
I'd just pick a weekend to comb throught the game database.
I wonder if we could kind of crowdsource a bootleg tagging system for Games DB? Like, you can search a specific site with Google/whatever (I think Bing and DuckDuckGo can too, haven't needed to use it recently), so if we all agreed on a specific format that we used for tags, then while it'd be subjective to an extent, there could be a workaround. All three browsers support "only this specific text" too.

Maybe something like "<[TAGHERE]>" where you're really unlikely to see that formatting anywhere else onsite? Please ping me if you actually want to do this, I want to help put it in action! But uh, there's WAY too much stuff onsite to do by myself, and there'd probably need to be some guidelines talk. Also I'm kinda squeamish and some busy stuff mucks with my head, so having somebody else focusing on that would help.

As far as myself, I try to stay out of the UMA stuff... but that said, I do search by colors sometimes. Gets stuff narrowed down more?
I wonder if we could kind of crowdsource a bootleg tagging system for Games DB? Like, you can search a specific site with Google/whatever (I think Bing and DuckDuckGo can too, haven't needed to use it recently), so if we all agreed on a specific format that we used for tags, then while it'd be subjective to an extent, there could be a workaround. All three browsers support "only this specific text" too.

Maybe something like "<[TAGHERE]>" where you're really unlikely to see that formatting anywhere else onsite? Please ping me if you actually want to do this, I want to help put it in action! But uh, there's WAY too much stuff onsite to do by myself, and there'd probably need to be some guidelines talk. Also I'm kinda squeamish and some busy stuff mucks with my head, so having somebody else focusing on that would help.

As far as myself, I try to stay out of the UMA stuff... but that said, I do search by colors sometimes. Gets stuff narrowed down more?
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

My strategy has been: sign up for the GASP thread, look around at the UMA shops and the UMA sales threads
GLMwkdE.pngx8bDWFu.png5hF3FGk.png7c8ZUEs.pngmlHpBMC.pnglUxoo8T.png
JdImn7O.gifUwUnl7O.png
I go through the entire database (filtering for the pose ofc), and then search the forums to find out if any of the ones I like are available
I go through the entire database (filtering for the pose ofc), and then search the forums to find out if any of the ones I like are available
nTa2yPT.png
[quote name="WhenTheSunDies" date="2022-05-26 06:44:20" ] [quote name="Halszkaraptor" date="2022-05-26 06:32:01" ] Honestly a tiny part of me kinda wishes there was a tagging system for stuff like this... Such a system would be incredibly useful for apparel too. -snip- [/quote] A [b]big[/b] part of me wishes there was a tagging // keyword system in place. It'd be so- so helpful! It would it save me, and probably a lot of people, a ton of time. [/quote] a [b]REALLY [/b]big part of me wishes there was a tagging/keyword system in place. especially now that we can make comments on db entries in case we need to discuss a tag being added/missing. either tags could be submitted by the creator and altered as needed- or the person approving the skin/accent just slaps a few tags on and calls it a day. UMA creators already have to consider tags when using G.A.S.P, so its not like its a system we aren't all used to already. the pain would come from... updating the backlog... maybe its a community project/initiative to go through and suggest tags for everything? idk. just feel like it would be really helpful lol. ANYWAYS yeah i just look through everything in the database. i prefer UMAs so it takes a while. ALSO wish we could see the number of prints on UMAs so i dont keep accidentally falling really hard for a single print custom...
WhenTheSunDies wrote on 2022-05-26 06:44:20:
Halszkaraptor wrote on 2022-05-26 06:32:01:
Honestly a tiny part of me kinda wishes there was a tagging system for stuff like this... Such a system would be incredibly useful for apparel too.
-snip-

A big part of me wishes there was a tagging // keyword system in place. It'd be so- so helpful! It would it save me, and probably a lot of people, a ton of time.

a REALLY big part of me wishes there was a tagging/keyword system in place. especially now that we can make comments on db entries in case we need to discuss a tag being added/missing. either tags could be submitted by the creator and altered as needed- or the person approving the skin/accent just slaps a few tags on and calls it a day. UMA creators already have to consider tags when using G.A.S.P, so its not like its a system we aren't all used to already.

the pain would come from... updating the backlog... maybe its a community project/initiative to go through and suggest tags for everything? idk. just feel like it would be really helpful lol.

ANYWAYS yeah i just look through everything in the database. i prefer UMAs so it takes a while. ALSO wish we could see the number of prints on UMAs so i dont keep accidentally falling really hard for a single print custom...
29370123p.png172210p.pnghd_onoff.giftumblr_onrm58iiVh1w2095jo2_75sq.pngtumblr_onrm58iiVh1w2095jo1_75sq.png
@Renaiwom I wonder if getting in contact with people from the G.A.S.P. team would help? they already have a pretty good tag list- its just too bad that most likely previous entries arent saved in a db anywhere. imo getting a wordpress or something set up with a simple database to keep track of UMAs and tags would be pretty easy- the backlog would be the next hurdle (and also deciding if it would be a team of people handling updates, if anyone could come in and offer tag ideas (could lead to TERRIBLE spamming if not handled correctly), or if the communication work is, like, done via discord). if this were something that had interest id also be up for offering assistance (websites/databases are my day job after all)
@Renaiwom I wonder if getting in contact with people from the G.A.S.P. team would help? they already have a pretty good tag list- its just too bad that most likely previous entries arent saved in a db anywhere. imo getting a wordpress or something set up with a simple database to keep track of UMAs and tags would be pretty easy- the backlog would be the next hurdle (and also deciding if it would be a team of people handling updates, if anyone could come in and offer tag ideas (could lead to TERRIBLE spamming if not handled correctly), or if the communication work is, like, done via discord). if this were something that had interest id also be up for offering assistance (websites/databases are my day job after all)
29370123p.png172210p.pnghd_onoff.giftumblr_onrm58iiVh1w2095jo2_75sq.pngtumblr_onrm58iiVh1w2095jo1_75sq.png
@jennycatmystique using GASP'S tag list seems like a great idea! I just... think it might be more productive to ask individual artists what they tagged their skin as, if they remember, since iirc from when last I used it, their tag lists are generated by a Google Doc so like... if it isn't needing to be separately saved, I guess the info could be there, but it's gonna be a pain to get since it'll need like... three hundred undos/snapshots, at least.

The reason I'm suggesting using the in-game database is ease of access and ease of telling what's already been tagged or not. I'm actually decently sure the Forbidden K Database had some sort of tag system, but it also used data scraping so I'm leery of actually saying people should use it and you know, when the name is blocked by the site that's never a good sign... and I'm unsure how you'd get a full offsite skin list without doing similar or manual entry. But! An external website to handle the searches and give like, a tag dropdown? That seems like it could work really well.

I think you're trying to futureproof, and I'm trying to figure out the backlog, so that difference in perspective is definitely a good thing! I don't know if I'd be any help with a database- I've taken a class on them but no practical knowledge- but it sounds really fun to try!
@jennycatmystique using GASP'S tag list seems like a great idea! I just... think it might be more productive to ask individual artists what they tagged their skin as, if they remember, since iirc from when last I used it, their tag lists are generated by a Google Doc so like... if it isn't needing to be separately saved, I guess the info could be there, but it's gonna be a pain to get since it'll need like... three hundred undos/snapshots, at least.

The reason I'm suggesting using the in-game database is ease of access and ease of telling what's already been tagged or not. I'm actually decently sure the Forbidden K Database had some sort of tag system, but it also used data scraping so I'm leery of actually saying people should use it and you know, when the name is blocked by the site that's never a good sign... and I'm unsure how you'd get a full offsite skin list without doing similar or manual entry. But! An external website to handle the searches and give like, a tag dropdown? That seems like it could work really well.

I think you're trying to futureproof, and I'm trying to figure out the backlog, so that difference in perspective is definitely a good thing! I don't know if I'd be any help with a database- I've taken a class on them but no practical knowledge- but it sounds really fun to try!
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m

Also, if a couple more people respond, then I think I'll make a forum thread here, in Guides, or in Help to try to coordinate (and figure out if something more robust is needed)
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m