Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | something bout mirrors that bugs me
1 2 3 4
They could be rib lines, but judging by the fact that mirrors don't have nostrils, they might be gills/vents! Or they could be a combination of both :)
They could be rib lines, but judging by the fact that mirrors don't have nostrils, they might be gills/vents! Or they could be a combination of both :)
77ec1a36661e11a40962b415b0b10b4babdc0c65.png
Mirror's are mouth breathers. My headcanon is those are gills specifically for helping them filter out any potentially dangerous fumes they may run through while hunting.

It could also be some kind of way to keep their body temp regulated? Since their native to essentially plague's desert. Not a biologist. Don't ask me to explain how they'd use gills to cool off. Honestly don't question anything beyond the point of "Dragons are held together with magic energy"

If the idea of mirror gills is grotesque its safe to remind one that hatchlings do lack them entirely on both of their art (official and unused). So unless gills just magically develop later in life, it's more likely to just be muscle or ribs being made visible by stretched skin.
Mirror's are mouth breathers. My headcanon is those are gills specifically for helping them filter out any potentially dangerous fumes they may run through while hunting.

It could also be some kind of way to keep their body temp regulated? Since their native to essentially plague's desert. Not a biologist. Don't ask me to explain how they'd use gills to cool off. Honestly don't question anything beyond the point of "Dragons are held together with magic energy"

If the idea of mirror gills is grotesque its safe to remind one that hatchlings do lack them entirely on both of their art (official and unused). So unless gills just magically develop later in life, it's more likely to just be muscle or ribs being made visible by stretched skin.
c345f7e3a6e07a5c7b794020f36c400b6fe75700.png61877_s.gif
Joxar was the only Mirror shown to have Nostrils.. And I'm pretty sure thats only on his old artwork.
Joxar was the only Mirror shown to have Nostrils.. And I'm pretty sure thats only on his old artwork.
TOW2n3q.png
[quote name="Bowno" date="2022-01-12 16:20:39" ] Joxar was the only Mirror shown to have Nostrils.. And I'm pretty sure thats only on his old artwork. [/quote] He does have a little line on the snout on the 8th anniversary vista, but comparing that to the more detailed nostrils of all the other dragons, I feel this is just a shade/contour line of his beak. [item=scene: 8th anniversary]
Bowno wrote on 2022-01-12 16:20:39:

He does have a little line on the snout on the 8th anniversary vista, but comparing that to the more detailed nostrils of all the other dragons, I feel this is just a shade/contour line of his beak.
Scene: 8th Anniversary
Pretty sure those are just supposed to be rib lines (or more likely muscle definition). If they were gills/vents they would be mentioned in their encyclopedia entry. I'm also not sure gills on a fast moving land creature would be a good evolutionary choice [emoji=ridgeback confused size=1] Gills for fish are specifically designed to filter oxygen out of the water, gills on land wouldn't really have that same function. It'd also need to be moisturized as hell constantly and is in the way of the arms which could cause a lot of irritation. Afaik we don't have any full time land creatures with gills or vents and that's probably for a reason. That said, these are dragons and you can do what you want! No need to let site lore or biology stop you bc literally all of these dragons have some issue and that's no fun [emoji=mirror size=1]
Pretty sure those are just supposed to be rib lines (or more likely muscle definition). If they were gills/vents they would be mentioned in their encyclopedia entry. I'm also not sure gills on a fast moving land creature would be a good evolutionary choice Gills for fish are specifically designed to filter oxygen out of the water, gills on land wouldn't really have that same function. It'd also need to be moisturized as hell constantly and is in the way of the arms which could cause a lot of irritation. Afaik we don't have any full time land creatures with gills or vents and that's probably for a reason.

That said, these are dragons and you can do what you want! No need to let site lore or biology stop you bc literally all of these dragons have some issue and that's no fun
adopt.pngxxxxxxxx2z8Ghkx.png
the slits are obviously vents for flames to shoot out when use speed boost.
the slits are obviously vents for flames to shoot out when use speed boost.
is very likely to take your posts literally - has difficulty discerning if tone is joking
I think it's ribs, babies don't have it at all, as if they have more body fat. If it was a means of breathing... where is it on the babies? [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=15&bodygene=0&breed=3&element=11&eyetype=4&gender=0&tert=138&tertgene=0&winggene=25&wings=6&auth=de2467b964b28877d86e3b33d731f19ffe1cce43&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Edit just to add both the adult poses [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=161&bodygene=0&breed=3&element=1&eyetype=2&gender=1&tert=69&tertgene=0&winggene=42&wings=141&auth=bec26087b4ca02fe5fd0da314c1dfd2dfa190ac6&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=148&bodygene=0&breed=3&element=2&eyetype=10&gender=0&tert=129&tertgene=0&winggene=11&wings=20&auth=2cd3210e15ee1c3f2248c6b90b0f7a07be8418cb&dummyext=prev.png[/img] I really don't think the front leg on the hatchling art is obscuring it either, considering you can see the lines extend up to the wing arm on the adults.
I think it's ribs, babies don't have it at all, as if they have more body fat. If it was a means of breathing... where is it on the babies?

dragon?age=0&body=15&bodygene=0&breed=3&element=11&eyetype=4&gender=0&tert=138&tertgene=0&winggene=25&wings=6&auth=de2467b964b28877d86e3b33d731f19ffe1cce43&dummyext=prev.png

Edit just to add both the adult poses
dragon?age=1&body=161&bodygene=0&breed=3&element=1&eyetype=2&gender=1&tert=69&tertgene=0&winggene=42&wings=141&auth=bec26087b4ca02fe5fd0da314c1dfd2dfa190ac6&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=1&body=148&bodygene=0&breed=3&element=2&eyetype=10&gender=0&tert=129&tertgene=0&winggene=11&wings=20&auth=2cd3210e15ee1c3f2248c6b90b0f7a07be8418cb&dummyext=prev.png

I really don't think the front leg on the hatchling art is obscuring it either, considering you can see the lines extend up to the wing arm on the adults.
mlHpBMC.png
9hqcHsy.png
ZxAR91S.png
HkZAJYc.png
watervs1.pngHbzShnh.pngmbWgKmD.pngwatershieldr.png
I've always interpreted them as gills, vents, what have you!
I've always interpreted them as gills, vents, what have you!
I saw it as ribs or muscles!
I saw it as ribs or muscles!
UDp5HOz.pnghMDDvym.pngGek4MgE.pngRJE4kZu.pngNtJrBGR.png
Muscles or ribs.
Muscles or ribs.

One day, will these too become but distant memories?
. . .
Yes, in the blink of an eye.

1 2 3 4