Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Colosseum Captcha test
1 2
So I just did a grind session through the colloseum. So far, so good. I got to the middle part where the game asks you to click on the dragon for a stat bonus. Which is, for the most part, cool, but I was just trying to get a low level grind going so I tried to click through it to skip it. Imagine my surprise when I realize that the resting dragon minigame is not a minigame. It's a captcha test to make sure you're not a robot. And now I can't fight in the colloseum for who knows how long.

Now, captchas are fine. People could very well be trying to use bots to grind, and I get wanting to prevent that. What I find issue with is that, as far as I can tell, there's nothing to communicate it's a captcha. It's presented as an option, quirkly little find-the-dragon minigame that helps you in battle. But if it's true intent is to be a captcha, it should be communicated as such. If I saw it was a captcha, I wouldn't try and click through it because these are important.

Also, how long until the captcha lock wears off? I wasn't using a bot or anything.
So I just did a grind session through the colloseum. So far, so good. I got to the middle part where the game asks you to click on the dragon for a stat bonus. Which is, for the most part, cool, but I was just trying to get a low level grind going so I tried to click through it to skip it. Imagine my surprise when I realize that the resting dragon minigame is not a minigame. It's a captcha test to make sure you're not a robot. And now I can't fight in the colloseum for who knows how long.

Now, captchas are fine. People could very well be trying to use bots to grind, and I get wanting to prevent that. What I find issue with is that, as far as I can tell, there's nothing to communicate it's a captcha. It's presented as an option, quirkly little find-the-dragon minigame that helps you in battle. But if it's true intent is to be a captcha, it should be communicated as such. If I saw it was a captcha, I wouldn't try and click through it because these are important.

Also, how long until the captcha lock wears off? I wasn't using a bot or anything.
The fact that the captcha doesn't say it's a captcha will never not frustrate me :( sorry you got got by it. I've heard varying time lengths, but most people I've seen have said a couple hours.
The fact that the captcha doesn't say it's a captcha will never not frustrate me :( sorry you got got by it. I've heard varying time lengths, but most people I've seen have said a couple hours.
wq9PoXA.png
I belive its just a two hour limit.
I belive its just a two hour limit.
0304941-D-23-B9-407-C-925-C-1-A4-DDF7-D58-B6.gif
Gjf5omr.png
zl1ZGZ2.png
AYz7995.png
YMPbu9R.png

Hi, I'm Tan! I collect G1s and Oldies!
[quote name="BlueJaysFeather" date="2021-04-21 22:38:43" ] The fact that the captcha doesn't say it's a captcha will never not frustrate me :( sorry you got got by it. I've heard varying time lengths, but most people I've seen have said a couple hours. [/quote] I'm assuming from that that this is not the first time this was pointed out. Is hiding captchas like this even legal?
BlueJaysFeather wrote on 2021-04-21 22:38:43:

I'm assuming from that that this is not the first time this was pointed out. Is hiding captchas like this even legal?
I remember that happening to me on my first week here.

I was still very, very new, and didn't know the different types of dragons, add in the fact I didn't know you could zoom in, so I'd fail every single captcha test, and get locked out of coli for hours. :"D
I remember that happening to me on my first week here.

I was still very, very new, and didn't know the different types of dragons, add in the fact I didn't know you could zoom in, so I'd fail every single captcha test, and get locked out of coli for hours. :"D
I can't imagine it not being legal, but it's definitely extremely frustrating and there's no good reason I can see for them not to say it's a captcha. I think almost everyone's gotten locked out by their first hard one.
I can't imagine it not being legal, but it's definitely extremely frustrating and there's no good reason I can see for them not to say it's a captcha. I think almost everyone's gotten locked out by their first hard one.
[quote name="ArchAngellus" date="2021-04-21 22:59:11" ] [quote name="BlueJaysFeather" date="2021-04-21 22:38:43" ] The fact that the captcha doesn't say it's a captcha will never not frustrate me :( sorry you got got by it. I've heard varying time lengths, but most people I've seen have said a couple hours. [/quote] I'm assuming from that that this is not the first time this was pointed out. Is hiding captchas like this even legal? [/quote] Oh yeah, it's been an issue since this version of coli was in beta :( staff said a few years ago that they were discussing it, but... well you see where that went. You may be interested in [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2373235]this thread.[/url] It deals more with the visual accessibility aspect of the current captcha, but the fact that it's not labeled as such has also come up a few times, and apparently bears repeating. As for legality of hiding a captcha like this, I can't imagine how it would be illegal, but I can't find anything other than that if you use the actual reCAPTCHA system you have to say so. Tbh I'm not sure enough sites use homebrewed captchas for it to really have ever been an issue, and even if it had, I kinda doubt FR as a private entity would be bound by any resulting law.
ArchAngellus wrote on 2021-04-21 22:59:11:
BlueJaysFeather wrote on 2021-04-21 22:38:43:

I'm assuming from that that this is not the first time this was pointed out. Is hiding captchas like this even legal?
Oh yeah, it's been an issue since this version of coli was in beta :( staff said a few years ago that they were discussing it, but... well you see where that went. You may be interested in this thread. It deals more with the visual accessibility aspect of the current captcha, but the fact that it's not labeled as such has also come up a few times, and apparently bears repeating.
As for legality of hiding a captcha like this, I can't imagine how it would be illegal, but I can't find anything other than that if you use the actual reCAPTCHA system you have to say so. Tbh I'm not sure enough sites use homebrewed captchas for it to really have ever been an issue, and even if it had, I kinda doubt FR as a private entity would be bound by any resulting law.
wq9PoXA.png
Why on earth would it be illegal? It's not great user experience to not label a captcha clearly but there's no legal impact to bad UI design (that doesn't trick you into spending money) - or a lot more sites would be in trouble lmao.

The wait period is 15 minutes.
Why on earth would it be illegal? It's not great user experience to not label a captcha clearly but there's no legal impact to bad UI design (that doesn't trick you into spending money) - or a lot more sites would be in trouble lmao.

The wait period is 15 minutes.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
The ban is so annoying, sometimes I just can't make out what is supposed to look like a dragon because it's so small and when you enlarge it it becomes too blurry. :s
The ban is so annoying, sometimes I just can't make out what is supposed to look like a dragon because it's so small and when you enlarge it it becomes too blurry. :s
ytkEBod.pngJkqGYr7.pngvZmPWxA.pnga129Nss.pngAQPJNOh.png5hF3FGk.png
Two hour ban on the last stretch of Greenskeeper Gathering because I had my phone light down and had no idea it was a CaptCHA, on account of never having hit the limit before. I assumed it would just time out the bonus, and I’d be fine with that, but oof. That’s like. Some hot stacks of currency I’m missing for being in a hurry. I feel like it’s just best QOL policy to let your players know a feature can put a penalty on their account...I believe in you, FR team, if you’re reading, please get this one fixed for a better Sornieth! [emoji=right wing size=1][emoji=silver tiara size=1][emoji=right wing size=1]
Two hour ban on the last stretch of Greenskeeper Gathering because I had my phone light down and had no idea it was a CaptCHA, on account of never having hit the limit before. I assumed it would just time out the bonus, and I’d be fine with that, but oof. That’s like. Some hot stacks of currency I’m missing for being in a hurry. I feel like it’s just best QOL policy to let your players know a feature can put a penalty on their account...I believe in you, FR team, if you’re reading, please get this one fixed for a better Sornieth!
frog_duck.pngducky3.png
1 2