Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [Lore] Dragon Cuisine by Flight
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[quote name="Insani" date="2020-09-22 22:56:37" ] oh i love this. i might write something up for the shadow flight. [/quote] Don't you dare let me stop you, but I figured I might write something for Shadow as well seeing as it's been my home flight for almost six years. I might have a bit of an odd take on it! I imagine that, over the years, Shadow flight quisine has developed quite differently compared to most other flights. Festivals and carnivals are commonplace in the Tangled Wood, and their food has grown to match. Shadow was among the first to develop truly fried foods- the goo-like tree sap in the region makes a unique and flavorful cooking oil, and dragons have learned to dip all sorts of foods into vats of the stuff to be cooked over a high flame. While not exactly nutritious in the best of ways, fried meats and breads are frequent finds here as they give a quick energy boost to festival-goers, entranced by the taste. Some species of mushroom have been found to have a sugar-like taste when powdered, and are often sprinkled over these delicacies- every carnival stall has their own homemade recipe, often spanning generations. Closer to the Sea of a Thousand Currents, fried fish is common, often served with leftover batter as an extra crunch. In the deepest wooded areas, insectivores have their own recipes mixing different saps and bug shells to make fun and wildly colorful dishes, which may sometimes look unappetizing but always taste far better than you'd expect. Most ordinary plant foods don't grow very well here- so imports of things such as potatoes are rather common as well, and Shadow dragons fry it up all the same. In the unfortunate event where frying is not an option, or if a dragon is tired of the addictive taste, many dragons will resort to raw food sprinkled in mushroom dust. Most go after small game such as the common ravens or perhaps rabbits, often eaten in bulk. Big game is a delicacy here, and only the most traditional of hunters can still track the best of the best. (Which is still always tastier when fried.)
Insani wrote on 2020-09-22 22:56:37:
oh i love this. i might write something up for the shadow flight.
Don't you dare let me stop you, but I figured I might write something for Shadow as well seeing as it's been my home flight for almost six years. I might have a bit of an odd take on it!

I imagine that, over the years, Shadow flight quisine has developed quite differently compared to most other flights. Festivals and carnivals are commonplace in the Tangled Wood, and their food has grown to match. Shadow was among the first to develop truly fried foods- the goo-like tree sap in the region makes a unique and flavorful cooking oil, and dragons have learned to dip all sorts of foods into vats of the stuff to be cooked over a high flame. While not exactly nutritious in the best of ways, fried meats and breads are frequent finds here as they give a quick energy boost to festival-goers, entranced by the taste. Some species of mushroom have been found to have a sugar-like taste when powdered, and are often sprinkled over these delicacies- every carnival stall has their own homemade recipe, often spanning generations. Closer to the Sea of a Thousand Currents, fried fish is common, often served with leftover batter as an extra crunch. In the deepest wooded areas, insectivores have their own recipes mixing different saps and bug shells to make fun and wildly colorful dishes, which may sometimes look unappetizing but always taste far better than you'd expect. Most ordinary plant foods don't grow very well here- so imports of things such as potatoes are rather common as well, and Shadow dragons fry it up all the same.

In the unfortunate event where frying is not an option, or if a dragon is tired of the addictive taste, many dragons will resort to raw food sprinkled in mushroom dust. Most go after small game such as the common ravens or perhaps rabbits, often eaten in bulk. Big game is a delicacy here, and only the most traditional of hunters can still track the best of the best. (Which is still always tastier when fried.)
h8ppV79.pngPG7Fgon.png
Fire is all about smoked meat and you can't change my mind.
Fire is all about smoked meat and you can't change my mind.
IMG-2023-08-05-124048.jpg
Added Light Flight! My take differs from some other folks', and that's okay.

Please feel free to keep sharing your own ideas!
Added Light Flight! My take differs from some other folks', and that's okay.

Please feel free to keep sharing your own ideas!
Do you like familiar matching~? Come check it out.
boo.pngBoolean.png
Ooooooo I love all of these, even if the smoothie idea for Lightning makes me a little queasy. It entirely makes sense but blegh, fish smoothie....

As for any other flights?
Arcane is probably the most adventurous (next to perhaps Light). A lot of the resident population survives off of bugs- which all kind of taste similar after a while, so over the years they've started experimenting with their bugs to find as many new, delicious ways to enjoy them as possible! Roast em, boil em, flambé em, mash em, reduce em, casserole em, soup em, BBQ em, marinate em, dry em--
If there's a way to cook it, then someone in Arcane has tried it. But for a lot of the population too, they are often quite busy with their magical studies, so whenever they do stop to eat they like to make sure it is at least hearty to give themselves enough energy to keep going for a good while without needing to stop to eat. They experiment sure, but they always make sure something good comes out of it.
...Or they supplement with drinks made from Coffee Bean Hawkmoth extract. It's a good energy boost.
Ooooooo I love all of these, even if the smoothie idea for Lightning makes me a little queasy. It entirely makes sense but blegh, fish smoothie....

As for any other flights?
Arcane is probably the most adventurous (next to perhaps Light). A lot of the resident population survives off of bugs- which all kind of taste similar after a while, so over the years they've started experimenting with their bugs to find as many new, delicious ways to enjoy them as possible! Roast em, boil em, flambé em, mash em, reduce em, casserole em, soup em, BBQ em, marinate em, dry em--
If there's a way to cook it, then someone in Arcane has tried it. But for a lot of the population too, they are often quite busy with their magical studies, so whenever they do stop to eat they like to make sure it is at least hearty to give themselves enough energy to keep going for a good while without needing to stop to eat. They experiment sure, but they always make sure something good comes out of it.
...Or they supplement with drinks made from Coffee Bean Hawkmoth extract. It's a good energy boost.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
Updated with Nature ^_^
Updated with Nature ^_^
boo.pngBoolean.png
nature:

it's either full on vegan organic kale smoothies and salad diets for days, or extra raw steaks and absolutely nothing but meat

there are no in betweens.
nature:

it's either full on vegan organic kale smoothies and salad diets for days, or extra raw steaks and absolutely nothing but meat

there are no in betweens.
kMxWaq5.png LOL > Formerly BORKBEAN
> FRT +0 | He/Him
> Buying FEST CURRENCY | ACCENTS | WISHLIST
I imagine that most dragons under the sea just eat things raw, unless they can find a hydrothermal vent, or want to/can use their water breath to boil it. But I got thinking about drinks, what and how would dragons drink in the sea? And I came up with a solution: "Sea tea"

The Tidelord's dragons take pride in controlling the water, and so take even greater pride in producing flavorful drinks from seawater, no open air required. They isolate seawater in a sealable container (perhaps an animal hide), remove the salt, take it to a hydrothermal vent and let it boil, then add sea plants and let it seep. This "sea tea" can be produced in an artificial freshwater pocket of the sea or in saltwater, where the sea plants will give the tea a slightly saltiness. This tea is mainly produced in the Leviathan Trench where they have more hydrothermal vents, and is exported all across the sea and to any lair that will buy it. There is variation from lair to lair and area to area. Sea tea is a cultural staple of the Water Flight, and is found in many lairs across the sea. (It also gives me an excuse to use the tea sets haha).

I think boiling is the most easily accessible food modification Water dragons can make. Boiled eggs (bird, sea creature), boiled fish/seafood (e.g. lobster), are all popular. Any berries or fruit that grow in the sea (watermelon, seaberry) are also commonly eaten, but aren't commonly boiled. I feel that Water cuisine is limited because it needs to be contained in so many ways, which either means they just don't prepare messy food (e.g. spurting berry juice or animal blood everywhere into the water), or they have many specialized cooking tools to prepare them well. Any level of preparation is probably acceptable, whether you just stab a narwhal and eat it raw right then and there or spend a day cooking it in a complex stew. I don't think Water is limited by being underwater, they just have to do things differently.
I imagine that most dragons under the sea just eat things raw, unless they can find a hydrothermal vent, or want to/can use their water breath to boil it. But I got thinking about drinks, what and how would dragons drink in the sea? And I came up with a solution: "Sea tea"

The Tidelord's dragons take pride in controlling the water, and so take even greater pride in producing flavorful drinks from seawater, no open air required. They isolate seawater in a sealable container (perhaps an animal hide), remove the salt, take it to a hydrothermal vent and let it boil, then add sea plants and let it seep. This "sea tea" can be produced in an artificial freshwater pocket of the sea or in saltwater, where the sea plants will give the tea a slightly saltiness. This tea is mainly produced in the Leviathan Trench where they have more hydrothermal vents, and is exported all across the sea and to any lair that will buy it. There is variation from lair to lair and area to area. Sea tea is a cultural staple of the Water Flight, and is found in many lairs across the sea. (It also gives me an excuse to use the tea sets haha).

I think boiling is the most easily accessible food modification Water dragons can make. Boiled eggs (bird, sea creature), boiled fish/seafood (e.g. lobster), are all popular. Any berries or fruit that grow in the sea (watermelon, seaberry) are also commonly eaten, but aren't commonly boiled. I feel that Water cuisine is limited because it needs to be contained in so many ways, which either means they just don't prepare messy food (e.g. spurting berry juice or animal blood everywhere into the water), or they have many specialized cooking tools to prepare them well. Any level of preparation is probably acceptable, whether you just stab a narwhal and eat it raw right then and there or spend a day cooking it in a complex stew. I don't think Water is limited by being underwater, they just have to do things differently.
Water cuisine is, predictably, centered around seafood. I imagine that the contents and preparation of food vary by location and individual clan culture though. But the bounty of the ocean is everywhere, and fish, crustaceans, cephalopods, marine mammals, aquatic plants, and others are all fair game. Clans of large dragons like Guardians or Imperials will track whale pods across the ocean for days, sometimes working in tandem with packs of Deeprealm Hunters. Smaller dragons like the Fae will gather around shallow pools, and make a meal of the swarms of aquatic insects that spawn there. Eating food raw is the most common practice, but sometimes dishes like sushi or sashimi are prepared.
If a meal of oysters or other shellfish has been prepared, young water dragons will play a game of scrying by tossing the empty shells and divining the future by their position. Similar games are played with the bones of picked-clean prey, and some diviners and oracles use bone runes as a derivation of this.

(also completely unrelated, but I headcanon that Lightning invented cup noodles)
Water cuisine is, predictably, centered around seafood. I imagine that the contents and preparation of food vary by location and individual clan culture though. But the bounty of the ocean is everywhere, and fish, crustaceans, cephalopods, marine mammals, aquatic plants, and others are all fair game. Clans of large dragons like Guardians or Imperials will track whale pods across the ocean for days, sometimes working in tandem with packs of Deeprealm Hunters. Smaller dragons like the Fae will gather around shallow pools, and make a meal of the swarms of aquatic insects that spawn there. Eating food raw is the most common practice, but sometimes dishes like sushi or sashimi are prepared.
If a meal of oysters or other shellfish has been prepared, young water dragons will play a game of scrying by tossing the empty shells and divining the future by their position. Similar games are played with the bones of picked-clean prey, and some diviners and oracles use bone runes as a derivation of this.

(also completely unrelated, but I headcanon that Lightning invented cup noodles)
SORmH.gif xTVXP.gif F8Yyq.gif WEc1O.gif FgSlG.gif
Updated with Plague!
Updated with Plague!
boo.pngBoolean.png
oh plague is really good! you got super good ideas
oh plague is really good! you got super good ideas
HCnDh8Y.png

1 2 3 4 5 6 7