Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | So I had this Nightmare the other night
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
HONESTLY THOUGH, this SHOULD be a horror game type experience. Usually, in lovecraftian horror, video games don’t do it very well. But a browser game type experience? Something linked to a bigger story that won’t SHOW it? Never getting to see exactly what’s happening or what the eldritch brings killing everyone are? That’s a great recipe for lovecraftian horror! It may also be a similar experience to DEFCON, where, despite being separate from all else while everything ends, it’s STILL a haunting experience. Basically, what happens is that it’s a normal browser game at first, but as the game you play goes on, the forums start slowing down. The updates start seeming strangely... somber ‘Sorry folks! But, due to recent real world events, updates have been delayed...’ you don’t know what these real life events are. The game starts acting like, in its world, there’s some tragic real world events going on that it vaguely mentions in updates, and then adds that it won’t go into too deep of detail as to what is happening as ‘not to upset players’. Like a real browser game. Then, it starts getting darker. A few of the update and forum posts keep mentioning weirder and weirder stuff, such as ending on, ‘And remember! Stay safe out there, we believe in you!’ What’s going on out there that you need to stay safe from? A pandemic? A war? You don’t know. That’s part of the horror. The creeping dread. Something AWFUL may be happening, but you don’t know because all the news you get of it is from vague mentions on a browser game. It keeps the ‘fear of the unknown’ part of horror there. Then, it starts getting worse. Updates speed up in a ‘goodbye event’ and you wonder what has caused this site to shut down. More and more solemnly worded updates appear... you start to worry that the browser game is getting shut down... what is causing this?! Then, the update descriptions start getting cultish. Forum posts slow down. The user count is only in the hundreds. The game is now on a timer as you watch the player count trickle down. You watch as the last updates come out... remembering loved ones... mentioning the rapture. The dread gets worse and the sadness continues as you see the player count trickle down further. Looking back at the updates, the wording is mournful and apologetic.

It’s not the browser game that’s ending.

The world is ending.

You don’t know HOW or WHY, but it has befallen a TERRIBLE FATE which, in this game you will never know... because in this game you’re always disconnected behind this screen browser game format. But you know it’s happening. Something scary is happening, and you see the effects of it but you never see it firsthand. Fear of the unknown. Perfect horror, and especially perfect for lovecraftian horror is done well enough.

The player count reaches zero.

The last part of the game is an empty screen, with the words ‘WEBSITE COULD NOT BE FOUND’ or something like ‘WE ARE SORRY, BUT IT’S ALL GONE’ or just a simple ‘SO SORRY! ‘BROWSER GAME’ HAS PERMANENTLY SHUT DOWN. THANK YOU FOR PLAYING!’

But there’s nobody to see the words anymore.
HONESTLY THOUGH, this SHOULD be a horror game type experience. Usually, in lovecraftian horror, video games don’t do it very well. But a browser game type experience? Something linked to a bigger story that won’t SHOW it? Never getting to see exactly what’s happening or what the eldritch brings killing everyone are? That’s a great recipe for lovecraftian horror! It may also be a similar experience to DEFCON, where, despite being separate from all else while everything ends, it’s STILL a haunting experience. Basically, what happens is that it’s a normal browser game at first, but as the game you play goes on, the forums start slowing down. The updates start seeming strangely... somber ‘Sorry folks! But, due to recent real world events, updates have been delayed...’ you don’t know what these real life events are. The game starts acting like, in its world, there’s some tragic real world events going on that it vaguely mentions in updates, and then adds that it won’t go into too deep of detail as to what is happening as ‘not to upset players’. Like a real browser game. Then, it starts getting darker. A few of the update and forum posts keep mentioning weirder and weirder stuff, such as ending on, ‘And remember! Stay safe out there, we believe in you!’ What’s going on out there that you need to stay safe from? A pandemic? A war? You don’t know. That’s part of the horror. The creeping dread. Something AWFUL may be happening, but you don’t know because all the news you get of it is from vague mentions on a browser game. It keeps the ‘fear of the unknown’ part of horror there. Then, it starts getting worse. Updates speed up in a ‘goodbye event’ and you wonder what has caused this site to shut down. More and more solemnly worded updates appear... you start to worry that the browser game is getting shut down... what is causing this?! Then, the update descriptions start getting cultish. Forum posts slow down. The user count is only in the hundreds. The game is now on a timer as you watch the player count trickle down. You watch as the last updates come out... remembering loved ones... mentioning the rapture. The dread gets worse and the sadness continues as you see the player count trickle down further. Looking back at the updates, the wording is mournful and apologetic.

It’s not the browser game that’s ending.

The world is ending.

You don’t know HOW or WHY, but it has befallen a TERRIBLE FATE which, in this game you will never know... because in this game you’re always disconnected behind this screen browser game format. But you know it’s happening. Something scary is happening, and you see the effects of it but you never see it firsthand. Fear of the unknown. Perfect horror, and especially perfect for lovecraftian horror is done well enough.

The player count reaches zero.

The last part of the game is an empty screen, with the words ‘WEBSITE COULD NOT BE FOUND’ or something like ‘WE ARE SORRY, BUT IT’S ALL GONE’ or just a simple ‘SO SORRY! ‘BROWSER GAME’ HAS PERMANENTLY SHUT DOWN. THANK YOU FOR PLAYING!’

But there’s nobody to see the words anymore.
That logo is new. Odd they didn't mention it.
And the header...
You go do your dailies. The pages load, but nothing changes.
You feed your dragons. There are no dragons.
You go to the forums, and see you have a ping. You click on it.
The forums are empty. Every thread is there, but none have replies. You post a short poem you don't remember writing and can't focus on after you post it.
You go to check Roundsey's new raffle. What day is it?
There are no dragons.
You buy some tickets.
The page doesn't change.
You go back to the front page.
You have a ping. You click on it.
The ping alert overflows.
there's nothing there.
you click it again.
click again.
That logo is new. Odd they didn't mention it.
And the header...
You go do your dailies. The pages load, but nothing changes.
You feed your dragons. There are no dragons.
You go to the forums, and see you have a ping. You click on it.
The forums are empty. Every thread is there, but none have replies. You post a short poem you don't remember writing and can't focus on after you post it.
You go to check Roundsey's new raffle. What day is it?
There are no dragons.
You buy some tickets.
The page doesn't change.
You go back to the front page.
You have a ping. You click on it.
The ping alert overflows.
there's nothing there.
you click it again.
click again.
@penguala
I wish I could like comments.
@penguala
I wish I could like comments.
Do you like familiar matching~? Come check it out.
boo.pngBoolean.png
Just noticed the logo in the nightmare reads the same if flipped.

Huh. Neat.
Just noticed the logo in the nightmare reads the same if flipped.

Huh. Neat.
nice
nice
66.png
Imagine the Forbidden Portal being introduced like this...
Imagine the Forbidden Portal being introduced like this...
A logo with two small green sprouts and the title Spontaneous Sprouts
0 users online...gave me chills.
0 users online...gave me chills.
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
haha cursed images 101
haha cursed images 101
52970845778_17c037eedd_o.png ... » She/Her
» Wishlist
» FR Time +3
» G1s For Sale
HOW DID THIS TURN INTO FR CREEPYPASTA
ACTUALLY
https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1577087
HERE PUT THIS IN FR CREEPYPASTA

HOW DID THIS TURN INTO FR CREEPYPASTA
ACTUALLY
https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1577087
HERE PUT THIS IN FR CREEPYPASTA

And if a silence filled the air do you think that anyone would even care? Would they be aware... of the mounting snow...
God I love this edit so much. I don't know why, but this is now my favourite FR edit I've ever seen. It's so smooth and you have to look longer than just a glance to notice [i]everything[/i] there. Every staff update, the links under Clan on the left side, the logo change (also it says Flight Rising upside down and right-side up!), the "0 users online", the clock being over 24 hours, [b]I love every part of this so so much[/b]. [quote name="PeacefulPyro"] Seriously though this is like a creepypasta in of itself. If i logged in to see this i’d be genuinely terrified... [/quote] Also this! Yes! It does seem like a creepypasta, and if I logged in to see this I'd be scared to death! But I love it!!! I kinda want to explore ApocolypseRising in its entirety! [s]maybe I'm just messed up and love creepy things like this a little Too Much but oh well I love it anyway[/s]
God I love this edit so much. I don't know why, but this is now my favourite FR edit I've ever seen. It's so smooth and you have to look longer than just a glance to notice everything there. Every staff update, the links under Clan on the left side, the logo change (also it says Flight Rising upside down and right-side up!), the "0 users online", the clock being over 24 hours, I love every part of this so so much.
PeacefulPyro wrote:
Seriously though this is like a creepypasta in of itself. If i logged in to see this i’d be genuinely terrified...
Also this! Yes! It does seem like a creepypasta, and if I logged in to see this I'd be scared to death! But I love it!!! I kinda want to explore ApocolypseRising in its entirety!
maybe I'm just messed up and love creepy things like this a little Too Much but oh well I love it anyway
~ he/xe ~ FRT+2 ~
5bx25Vi.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8