Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Constructive Criticism vs Bashing
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
This is really important! Honestly I could see this being stickied. Maybe not in FRD but I feel like this should be permanently accessible in some form or another.
This is really important! Honestly I could see this being stickied. Maybe not in FRD but I feel like this should be permanently accessible in some form or another.
I completely agree with Chlorophyll, this thread should get stickied under "Proper critique etiquette".

This was wonderfully written and says exactly what needs to be said. It is very important to leave helpful critique, to give feedback and express concerns. What is completely worthless and arbitrary is providing subjective thoughts aka opinions about the product. However, it isn't just worthless, but saying "x looks bad" or "y looks ugly" is also factually incorrect because opinions on aesthetics can only be subjective. When something doesn't fit your tastes, it doesn't mean its quality is low.

Providing critique is critical within communities like these, and going through the player feedback or helping the Staff is just as important. Both sides need to co-operate, but both sides also need to stay respectful and keep their opinions outside of negative reviews because they do nothing.

When writing critique:
  • list pros first
  • focus on pointing out errors, bugs and coding slip-ups
  • respectfully and possibly extensively explain what you think is flawed
  • provide ideas on how it could fix the potential flaw and improve the concept of the product
  • compare the supposed flaw to your own interpretation
  • analyse other existing resources and compare them to the product
  • if applicable, create your own visual interpretation
  • if applicable, use references to convey the specific point you are trying to make
  • avoid any personal opinions on aesthetics - a personal opinion is not universal
  • avoid any negative tones or attitudes
  • avoid insults or passive aggression
  • make the text accessible and/or easily readable
I completely agree with Chlorophyll, this thread should get stickied under "Proper critique etiquette".

This was wonderfully written and says exactly what needs to be said. It is very important to leave helpful critique, to give feedback and express concerns. What is completely worthless and arbitrary is providing subjective thoughts aka opinions about the product. However, it isn't just worthless, but saying "x looks bad" or "y looks ugly" is also factually incorrect because opinions on aesthetics can only be subjective. When something doesn't fit your tastes, it doesn't mean its quality is low.

Providing critique is critical within communities like these, and going through the player feedback or helping the Staff is just as important. Both sides need to co-operate, but both sides also need to stay respectful and keep their opinions outside of negative reviews because they do nothing.

When writing critique:
  • list pros first
  • focus on pointing out errors, bugs and coding slip-ups
  • respectfully and possibly extensively explain what you think is flawed
  • provide ideas on how it could fix the potential flaw and improve the concept of the product
  • compare the supposed flaw to your own interpretation
  • analyse other existing resources and compare them to the product
  • if applicable, create your own visual interpretation
  • if applicable, use references to convey the specific point you are trying to make
  • avoid any personal opinions on aesthetics - a personal opinion is not universal
  • avoid any negative tones or attitudes
  • avoid insults or passive aggression
  • make the text accessible and/or easily readable
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
I'm glad someone posted about this issue. It is never necessary to be insulting when giving an opinion. A simple "I don't like this (fill in the blank)" is sufficient. People have to remember that this is a free-to-play game, and the staff are doing a lot of good work on it. It takes nothing to be kind.
I'm glad someone posted about this issue. It is never necessary to be insulting when giving an opinion. A simple "I don't like this (fill in the blank)" is sufficient. People have to remember that this is a free-to-play game, and the staff are doing a lot of good work on it. It takes nothing to be kind.
Light-and-Shadow-Bonsai.png
I was complaining how it had such many art error when it first come out and I don't think it would worth spending gem on. Best it could be treasure gene. But now the staff change it I'm actually fine with it.

I just don't like how ppl say I shouldn't complain about it and if don't like it don't buy it. Why should I keep my mouth shut and not able to voice my opinion over the simple fact I don't like it ? It doesn't make any sense
I was complaining how it had such many art error when it first come out and I don't think it would worth spending gem on. Best it could be treasure gene. But now the staff change it I'm actually fine with it.

I just don't like how ppl say I shouldn't complain about it and if don't like it don't buy it. Why should I keep my mouth shut and not able to voice my opinion over the simple fact I don't like it ? It doesn't make any sense
tDeKDnH.png8113890e65468d3e592e04d0586e31cc.pngss.png
@Altassar
firstly to clarify: i don't know what you've said outside this one reply. i'm not accusing you of anything here. i'm speaking generally to a variety of responses i've seen re: glowtail.

it's not that you can't or shouldn't criticize something, it's *how* you do so. it's fine to not like a gene. it's fine to offer criticism of how it could be improved. it's fine to say you will never in your life use a gene or any gene like it. it is fine to offer suggestions for how it could be made better or more to your taste. i encourage you do do these things.

it's cruel and inappropriate to say the artist was lazy, to say the art was rushed, to say the entire site is going downhill because of this one (or even a few) genes you dislike. you don't know the artist's process, you don't know how much time and effort they put into the art, and it's just... bizarre and *heavy* to tell an artist they personally are ruining everything with one aesthetic mistake.

the artists make decisions, and it is fine and reasonable to disagree with those decisions. it is cruel to say they are lazy and stupid and malignant for making a gene you simply think is ugly. it is cruel to imply they couldn't have made a decision you disagree with and are instead unthinking incompetent artists.

be clear about what you're criticizing about the art. be sure you aren't insulting people. don't catastrophize. that's it.
@Altassar
firstly to clarify: i don't know what you've said outside this one reply. i'm not accusing you of anything here. i'm speaking generally to a variety of responses i've seen re: glowtail.

it's not that you can't or shouldn't criticize something, it's *how* you do so. it's fine to not like a gene. it's fine to offer criticism of how it could be improved. it's fine to say you will never in your life use a gene or any gene like it. it is fine to offer suggestions for how it could be made better or more to your taste. i encourage you do do these things.

it's cruel and inappropriate to say the artist was lazy, to say the art was rushed, to say the entire site is going downhill because of this one (or even a few) genes you dislike. you don't know the artist's process, you don't know how much time and effort they put into the art, and it's just... bizarre and *heavy* to tell an artist they personally are ruining everything with one aesthetic mistake.

the artists make decisions, and it is fine and reasonable to disagree with those decisions. it is cruel to say they are lazy and stupid and malignant for making a gene you simply think is ugly. it is cruel to imply they couldn't have made a decision you disagree with and are instead unthinking incompetent artists.

be clear about what you're criticizing about the art. be sure you aren't insulting people. don't catastrophize. that's it.

@snugglebug
he
Excellent post, op.

One thing I would like to add is that while people may feel whatever they like about the releases (genes or otherwise), feelings do not control behavior. More specifically, frustration does not excuse being mean.

People have a choice of how they react. They can choose to respond with kindness and respect. By doing so, hopefully it'll cultivate a community where it is possible to have healthy and open discussions like these.
Excellent post, op.

One thing I would like to add is that while people may feel whatever they like about the releases (genes or otherwise), feelings do not control behavior. More specifically, frustration does not excuse being mean.

People have a choice of how they react. They can choose to respond with kindness and respect. By doing so, hopefully it'll cultivate a community where it is possible to have healthy and open discussions like these.
MGFJ8fc.png AnUIqXY.png xLfa2Pa.png kwqLYV5.pngFyiyiOg.png
@snugglebug
Yeah don't worry I got what you mean. I wasn't mad at the artists I was mad at ppl who think we have no right to criticise by simply ignore the gene if we don't like it. Don't like don't buy as answer from them. I only say in annoucement post I don't think it worth being a gem gene and it has art error on tundra and snapper back then but it get fixed so i'm fine with it.
@snugglebug
Yeah don't worry I got what you mean. I wasn't mad at the artists I was mad at ppl who think we have no right to criticise by simply ignore the gene if we don't like it. Don't like don't buy as answer from them. I only say in annoucement post I don't think it worth being a gem gene and it has art error on tundra and snapper back then but it get fixed so i'm fine with it.
tDeKDnH.png8113890e65468d3e592e04d0586e31cc.pngss.png
Yeah exactly! Creativity is not ever-flowing water, it dries sometimes. But that doesn’t we can’t give them a healthy dose of criticism, we are the consumers after all.
Yeah exactly! Creativity is not ever-flowing water, it dries sometimes. But that doesn’t we can’t give them a healthy dose of criticism, we are the consumers after all.
lucifer.gif
Div.gifDiv.gif
FObX7rS.pngfDSaoY3.pngDmyubyt.png
Div.gifDiv.gif
I will try to be more conscious of myself, though I don't recall saying anything bad, I think that this will prevent me (and perhaps others?) from saying something regrettable in the future.
Thanks!
:)
I will try to be more conscious of myself, though I don't recall saying anything bad, I think that this will prevent me (and perhaps others?) from saying something regrettable in the future.
Thanks!
:)
Wannabe pilot
She/her
Uniquely terrible at making good signatures
Bless you OP for this post, it's very analytical and precise. It addresses some of the biggest issues i have with how people seem to tend to view criticism (in a nutshell either all evil or all permitted, no parley). Would favorite the thread if i could
Bless you OP for this post, it's very analytical and precise. It addresses some of the biggest issues i have with how people seem to tend to view criticism (in a nutshell either all evil or all permitted, no parley). Would favorite the thread if i could
sig_02_by_whiteraven90-dbm43xs.png
sig_04_by_whiteraven90-dbm43xq.pngsig_05_by_whiteraven90-dbm43y8.pngsig_06_by_whiteraven90-dbm43y6.png
sig_07_by_whiteraven90-dbm43y3.pngsig_08_by_whiteraven90-dbm43xz.pngsig_09_by_whiteraven90-dbm43xx.png
sig_10_by_whiteraven90-dbm43xw.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8