Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | magic use headcanons
1 2
What kinds of magic do you see dragons using in their everyday lives? How frequently?
What are some element-based "spells" or magic effects they could use? I'm interested in element-neutral stuff also, but I'm particularly interested in the interpretation of things like Nature dragons' breath weapon that aren't immediately obvious.
What kinds of magic do you see dragons using in their everyday lives? How frequently?
What are some element-based "spells" or magic effects they could use? I'm interested in element-neutral stuff also, but I'm particularly interested in the interpretation of things like Nature dragons' breath weapon that aren't immediately obvious.
5BsilZ9.png
0zy2W7P.png
eIK5iG7.png
XuRl5B2.png
J7D1quC.png
FObX7rS.png
BTRr72z.png
irlzakv.png
YMPbu9R.png
I think nature dragons revive dead plants with their breath, make flowers bloom, that kind of thing. Maybe they spread moss spores or make seeds germinate?
I think nature dragons revive dead plants with their breath, make flowers bloom, that kind of thing. Maybe they spread moss spores or make seeds germinate?
Who can take tomorrow, dip it in a dream, separate the sorrow and collect up all the cream?

The candyman can 'cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good.

I recently decided on a headcanon that Snappers naturally can use their magic with more finesse than any other breed - they're not the strongest magic users necessarily, but they sure can do a bunch of finicky spells that you wouldn't expect to even be possible. Comes from them not having hands and having to improvise around that. You thought literal elemental fire couldn't be used to pick things up and carry them around and not burn them? Think again, pal. And Earth, their native element, happens to be a really handy (heh) element for this - just magically sculpt whatever tool you need out of rock! Or dirt/clay, if you need a softer touch.
I recently decided on a headcanon that Snappers naturally can use their magic with more finesse than any other breed - they're not the strongest magic users necessarily, but they sure can do a bunch of finicky spells that you wouldn't expect to even be possible. Comes from them not having hands and having to improvise around that. You thought literal elemental fire couldn't be used to pick things up and carry them around and not burn them? Think again, pal. And Earth, their native element, happens to be a really handy (heh) element for this - just magically sculpt whatever tool you need out of rock! Or dirt/clay, if you need a softer touch.
___ [IMG][/IMG]
___ sig_button_by_soenkan-dcab06q.png ___
[IMG][/IMG]
[img]https://gamespot1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/scale_medium/1562/15626911/3156352-alice.jpg[/img] Common place size changing magic items/edibles for various applications. Whether it's for the nesting grounds, wanting to be of equivalent size to your battle partners, or you want to visit your fae friends house. There are canonically so many different kinds of scrolls, to change your breed and over all genetics in various fashions ... I don't see why [i]size [/i]would not be a thing.
3156352-alice.jpg

Common place size changing magic items/edibles for various applications.

Whether it's for the nesting grounds, wanting to be of equivalent size to your battle partners, or you want to visit your fae friends house.

There are canonically so many different kinds of scrolls, to change your breed and over all genetics in various fashions ... I don't see why size would not be a thing.
4QFtgPW.png
Casual magic use is one of my favorite topics when it comes to fantasy: too many fantasy worlds treat magic like something special when it should be pretty standard for evolutionary reasons, but I digress.

Earth:
-They are really good at keeping things clean because they can magically remove dust and dirt. This is also why they're so good at archeology.
-Skilled farmers can sense the general composition of dirt and adjust accordingly. Good farms usually have just as many earth dragons as nature ones.
-wandering dragons can make temporary houses whenever they need to, usually to sleep at night.
-They can fix broken pottery very easily, and many make a living out of it.

Fire:
-Cooking food is pretty much exclusive to fire dragons, and they cook pretty much everything they eat.
-they can keep themselves and other dragons warm.
-they can stop fires as well as start them, so most firefighters are from the fire flight

Water:
- they can easily purify water (earth/lightnings deserts and plague specifically)
-hatchlings like to make bubbles when they're bored.
-they can control rain to an extent and keep it off of nonwater dragons.

Wind:
- almost all wind dragons casually glide on selfmade winds when moving.
-they can grab far away objects.
-when it gets hot, they'll give themselves a little breeze to help keep cool.
-after swimming, they'll air dry themselves.

Lightning:
-similarly to water dragon and rain, lightning dragons keep lightning away from towns, and usually direct it into generators.
-they can keep electrical appliances running during power outages.

Ice:
-they are vital to food transportation, and magically strengthened ice is the closest thing dragons have to fridges.
-As long as it doesn't get too hot, magic ice can be used as a kind of glue.
-they can keep their drinks cold and stop ice cream and popsicles from melting.

Light:
-they can make illusions, and use them in similar ways to our own tvs.
-they can make "artificial" fireworks.
-they can manipulate light to look at far away or hidden objects, specifically for studying dangerous things or cheating at card games.

Shadow:
-hatchlings are really good at hide-and-seek
-Amazing at mood lighting.
-super detailed shadow puppet shows.

Nature:
-They're great gardeners and farmers
-they can remove invasive plants, and bring almost extinct ones from the brink of extinction
-florists can artificially increase the amount of time a cut flower keeps its color.

Plague:
-the few medical plague dragons that exist are amazing healers
-similar to nature's florists, plague dragons can keep corpses fresh until their funerals.
-they can detect rot in materials, and help keep structures secure.

Arcane:
-They constantly move things with their magic.
-They can send little magic messages to other dragons, like texting.
-they can teleport to places they need to go, from grocery stores to parks to their own homes.
Casual magic use is one of my favorite topics when it comes to fantasy: too many fantasy worlds treat magic like something special when it should be pretty standard for evolutionary reasons, but I digress.

Earth:
-They are really good at keeping things clean because they can magically remove dust and dirt. This is also why they're so good at archeology.
-Skilled farmers can sense the general composition of dirt and adjust accordingly. Good farms usually have just as many earth dragons as nature ones.
-wandering dragons can make temporary houses whenever they need to, usually to sleep at night.
-They can fix broken pottery very easily, and many make a living out of it.

Fire:
-Cooking food is pretty much exclusive to fire dragons, and they cook pretty much everything they eat.
-they can keep themselves and other dragons warm.
-they can stop fires as well as start them, so most firefighters are from the fire flight

Water:
- they can easily purify water (earth/lightnings deserts and plague specifically)
-hatchlings like to make bubbles when they're bored.
-they can control rain to an extent and keep it off of nonwater dragons.

Wind:
- almost all wind dragons casually glide on selfmade winds when moving.
-they can grab far away objects.
-when it gets hot, they'll give themselves a little breeze to help keep cool.
-after swimming, they'll air dry themselves.

Lightning:
-similarly to water dragon and rain, lightning dragons keep lightning away from towns, and usually direct it into generators.
-they can keep electrical appliances running during power outages.

Ice:
-they are vital to food transportation, and magically strengthened ice is the closest thing dragons have to fridges.
-As long as it doesn't get too hot, magic ice can be used as a kind of glue.
-they can keep their drinks cold and stop ice cream and popsicles from melting.

Light:
-they can make illusions, and use them in similar ways to our own tvs.
-they can make "artificial" fireworks.
-they can manipulate light to look at far away or hidden objects, specifically for studying dangerous things or cheating at card games.

Shadow:
-hatchlings are really good at hide-and-seek
-Amazing at mood lighting.
-super detailed shadow puppet shows.

Nature:
-They're great gardeners and farmers
-they can remove invasive plants, and bring almost extinct ones from the brink of extinction
-florists can artificially increase the amount of time a cut flower keeps its color.

Plague:
-the few medical plague dragons that exist are amazing healers
-similar to nature's florists, plague dragons can keep corpses fresh until their funerals.
-they can detect rot in materials, and help keep structures secure.

Arcane:
-They constantly move things with their magic.
-They can send little magic messages to other dragons, like texting.
-they can teleport to places they need to go, from grocery stores to parks to their own homes.
My Arcane dragon is a natural magical amplifier, and she can't always control her own magic. Excess magical energy is usually bled off via involuntary levitation of nearby small objects. That flowerfall she's wearing? Yeah that's actually canon, they just follow her around like that
My Arcane dragon is a natural magical amplifier, and she can't always control her own magic. Excess magical energy is usually bled off via involuntary levitation of nearby small objects. That flowerfall she's wearing? Yeah that's actually canon, they just follow her around like that
38082415sig.png
Kavryn [ Kav-r-y-n ] | » Level 25 Lair Challenge « | » G1 Sales «
Based on coli stones, everyone good enough at fighting is capable of yeeting their flight's elemental energy in SOME way. Even if you're not specifically a mage. Think [item=Mist Slash] vs [item=Shroud], first is a yeet and the other is more controlled magic in the form of dragon smoke bombs. My magical dragons are a standard healer dude, and two illusionists, one Ice element and one Shadow. Shadow makes sense as an illusionist in some areas, my Shadow derg is capable of brief stints of invisibility, or at least making herself vanish into the shadows, and you know those sick bramble thorns in Shadow? It [i]looks [/i]like she can summon/control them. Also an illusion. She ain't got no real combat ability. I kinda fudge canon here though, since I've got no explanation for how the Ice dude does illusionary stuff besides "he uses it to cheat at dragon poker, and is wanted for his dragon gambling debts." Anyone wanna talk about how healing works? Like, do you think good healin' dragons are capable of curing sickness, or just knitting physical wounds together? If you botch a healing spell do you just knit flesh together in exactly the wrong way? Are Emperors technically healing themselves into existence then??
Based on coli stones, everyone good enough at fighting is capable of yeeting their flight's elemental energy in SOME way. Even if you're not specifically a mage.

Think Mist Slash vs Shroud , first is a yeet and the other is more controlled magic in the form of dragon smoke bombs.

My magical dragons are a standard healer dude, and two illusionists, one Ice element and one Shadow. Shadow makes sense as an illusionist in some areas, my Shadow derg is capable of brief stints of invisibility, or at least making herself vanish into the shadows, and you know those sick bramble thorns in Shadow? It looks like she can summon/control them.

Also an illusion. She ain't got no real combat ability.

I kinda fudge canon here though, since I've got no explanation for how the Ice dude does illusionary stuff besides "he uses it to cheat at dragon poker, and is wanted for his dragon gambling debts."

Anyone wanna talk about how healing works? Like, do you think good healin' dragons are capable of curing sickness, or just knitting physical wounds together? If you botch a healing spell do you just knit flesh together in exactly the wrong way? Are Emperors technically healing themselves into existence then??
I'm gonna breed change all the deities into Wildclaws.
Looking to buy a 5 digit, btw!
@mageoftime

My Plague healer heals by killing the bad stuff. She can take out cancer and she's a brilliant antibacterial agent, but don't ask her to fix a broken bone because that's macro stuff and she doesn't do that.

I used to have a Fire healer that healed by accelerating the body's natural defenses (like a fever, but magical) but I got rid of him a while back.
@mageoftime

My Plague healer heals by killing the bad stuff. She can take out cancer and she's a brilliant antibacterial agent, but don't ask her to fix a broken bone because that's macro stuff and she doesn't do that.

I used to have a Fire healer that healed by accelerating the body's natural defenses (like a fever, but magical) but I got rid of him a while back.
38082415sig.png
Kavryn [ Kav-r-y-n ] | » Level 25 Lair Challenge « | » G1 Sales «
@mageoftime

I have an Ice type who also has illusions, I see is as 'reflections'. Ice can reflect light and images, why not the tricks associated with that?
@mageoftime

I have an Ice type who also has illusions, I see is as 'reflections'. Ice can reflect light and images, why not the tricks associated with that?
4QFtgPW.png
@Kavryn

Ooooh, I love those healers!

My Plague healer leans heavily towards herbalist, sure you might have just had your bones de-broken but that probably hurt like hecc. Here's some plants.

One thing I've wanted to do on a healer but haven't found the right derg for it would be "healing" through necromancy. Your beloved clanmate definitely made a miraculous recovery and definitely isn't now bound to obey the necromancer-healer. Ignore the part where they don't sleep anymore. It's fine. You wanted them saved at any cost, right?

Depending on how the necromancy works it might not be viable in the long term (what if the resurrected dude falls apart????) but idk if there's any necromancy to go off of in FR lore.
@Kavryn

Ooooh, I love those healers!

My Plague healer leans heavily towards herbalist, sure you might have just had your bones de-broken but that probably hurt like hecc. Here's some plants.

One thing I've wanted to do on a healer but haven't found the right derg for it would be "healing" through necromancy. Your beloved clanmate definitely made a miraculous recovery and definitely isn't now bound to obey the necromancer-healer. Ignore the part where they don't sleep anymore. It's fine. You wanted them saved at any cost, right?

Depending on how the necromancy works it might not be viable in the long term (what if the resurrected dude falls apart????) but idk if there's any necromancy to go off of in FR lore.
I'm gonna breed change all the deities into Wildclaws.
Looking to buy a 5 digit, btw!
1 2