Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [FundsRising] First Edition Trial Run!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
@ShadeOfChaos

Sweet, thanks! <3
@ShadeOfChaos

Sweet, thanks! <3
Gale
FR + 16/17 | Korea | She/Her
No problem!
No problem!
CS0nkUR.png
@TheKillingEdge Frankly, I'm going to butt in. It was me that was insulted, Shade was only defending me because I went to them (and several other people who agreed) to ask if I had interpreted Cinderfire's words wrong, as I did not want to start a fight on the thread and cause more problems for them for my inability to interpret words as they were meant to be. I have a problem with comprehension, which is why I posted in the first place, because I did not really understand your point of view, not because I wanted to fight. So I'll explain what Shade and I are both upset about. [quote name="XYZayne" date="2018-06-10 20:47:37" ] Honestly, it can be pretty hard to post on the front page because there's absolutely no guarantee a fundraiser rep can be on at the exact time DomWatch is posted. And frankly, as someone who looks at DomWatch each week, I often don't hear that it's posted until several hours later or I'm not on at the time it is...furthermore, I've never once checked any of the posts below the reserves. I'm sure many of the people are the same way. I don't want to sift through posts, and I'm sure many other don't want to either. [/quote] [quote name="Cinderfire" date="2018-06-10 21:53:38" ] Usually, there's only the front post, then the ping post. Then flight reserves, which at most are two posts. Then there's space for at least six posts on the front page. If that's too many posts to check, I'm not sure anyone can help you. It's been commented that the DW poll was to get rid of fundraiser reserves, not linking within the thread. This includes the usual links in the very first post, where pushing flight links go, etc. If that's also not worth checking, I'm, again, not sure anyone can help. [/quote] My original message was that there is no guarantee that a fundraiser rep can make it through the front page and I would not want to sift through the posts to find the posts if they could not. Cinderfire either didn't read my three sentences clearly enough or maybe didn't understand my post the way I meant it to be, I don't know. [i]But telling me "I'm not sure anyone can help you" if I did not want to read those six posts is downright rude.[/i] Saying that simply translates to "You're beyond help." I'm not the only one who thought this, many others I talked to did as well. Furthermore, it doesn't make any sense considering I had said only two sentences before that it was not always possible to make it onto the front page because without a reserve post, there is no guarantee (life, work, school, timezones or other things can get in the way). I thought that was enough to say "there's no guarantee they'll be on the front page and I personally don't want to look through the posts (on the other pages)." Perhaps I was not entirely clear with my wording but that excuses nothing. Now I'll admit that I misunderstood the entirety of the problem with what the DomWatch removed as far as fundraising goes. I did not realize that the links would still be included, as I assumed only reserved activities were linked, but if that's the case, it's great, though I prefer the idea of this hub instead. Nevertheless, the second instance of Cinderfire again telling me "I'm not sure anyone can help" is [i]still rude.[/i] There was no need to hammer that point in again, because it did not make sense with my words the first time and it's still not polite. There were other, more polite ways Cinderfire could have put those two points in their reply to me. I will give Cinderfire credit for clearing up my confusion with their points 3-5, as that is what I had originally been after and it made me understand the backlash a little more. That is what I wanted, but I did not need the rude comments that accompanied them, and unless Cinderfire elaborates on what they said to change my point of view on their words, I am well within my rights to be insulted and Shade is well within their rights to defend me (or anybody on this thread if this becomes a problem again). I'd like the topic to be dropped from here on, this negativity isn't what this post deserves. I'd like us to get back to helping Shade differentiate FundsRising and make this a great hub for fundraising activities.
@TheKillingEdge

Frankly, I'm going to butt in. It was me that was insulted, Shade was only defending me because I went to them (and several other people who agreed) to ask if I had interpreted Cinderfire's words wrong, as I did not want to start a fight on the thread and cause more problems for them for my inability to interpret words as they were meant to be. I have a problem with comprehension, which is why I posted in the first place, because I did not really understand your point of view, not because I wanted to fight. So I'll explain what Shade and I are both upset about.

XYZayne wrote on 2018-06-10 20:47:37:
Honestly, it can be pretty hard to post on the front page because there's absolutely no guarantee a fundraiser rep can be on at the exact time DomWatch is posted. And frankly, as someone who looks at DomWatch each week, I often don't hear that it's posted until several hours later or I'm not on at the time it is...furthermore, I've never once checked any of the posts below the reserves. I'm sure many of the people are the same way. I don't want to sift through posts, and I'm sure many other don't want to either.

Cinderfire wrote on 2018-06-10 21:53:38:
Usually, there's only the front post, then the ping post. Then flight reserves, which at most are two posts. Then there's space for at least six posts on the front page. If that's too many posts to check, I'm not sure anyone can help you.

It's been commented that the DW poll was to get rid of fundraiser reserves, not linking within the thread. This includes the usual links in the very first post, where pushing flight links go, etc. If that's also not worth checking, I'm, again, not sure anyone can help.

My original message was that there is no guarantee that a fundraiser rep can make it through the front page and I would not want to sift through the posts to find the posts if they could not. Cinderfire either didn't read my three sentences clearly enough or maybe didn't understand my post the way I meant it to be, I don't know. But telling me "I'm not sure anyone can help you" if I did not want to read those six posts is downright rude. Saying that simply translates to "You're beyond help." I'm not the only one who thought this, many others I talked to did as well.

Furthermore, it doesn't make any sense considering I had said only two sentences before that it was not always possible to make it onto the front page because without a reserve post, there is no guarantee (life, work, school, timezones or other things can get in the way). I thought that was enough to say "there's no guarantee they'll be on the front page and I personally don't want to look through the posts (on the other pages)." Perhaps I was not entirely clear with my wording but that excuses nothing.

Now I'll admit that I misunderstood the entirety of the problem with what the DomWatch removed as far as fundraising goes. I did not realize that the links would still be included, as I assumed only reserved activities were linked, but if that's the case, it's great, though I prefer the idea of this hub instead.

Nevertheless, the second instance of Cinderfire again telling me "I'm not sure anyone can help" is still rude. There was no need to hammer that point in again, because it did not make sense with my words the first time and it's still not polite. There were other, more polite ways Cinderfire could have put those two points in their reply to me.

I will give Cinderfire credit for clearing up my confusion with their points 3-5, as that is what I had originally been after and it made me understand the backlash a little more. That is what I wanted, but I did not need the rude comments that accompanied them, and unless Cinderfire elaborates on what they said to change my point of view on their words, I am well within my rights to be insulted and Shade is well within their rights to defend me (or anybody on this thread if this becomes a problem again).

I'd like the topic to be dropped from here on, this negativity isn't what this post deserves. I'd like us to get back to helping Shade differentiate FundsRising and make this a great hub for fundraising activities.
xyzayne1.png
XYZayne
he/him, fr+2
xyzayne2.png
@XYZayne

Okay nope. Wall of text ending with "I'd like the topic to be dropped from here on" doesn't end it there.

When I say this bit, I do not mean to be cruel but you have admitted to having reading comprehension trouble. Cinderfire's words were not a personal attack. It is a very common phrasing because it is an exasperation; people claiming to not be able to be bothered to read posts that are typically on the first page are frustrating. Can you understand that view point?

A lot of people are frustrated with this -- most on the behalf of everyone involved in DW. We are well within our rights, as you said, to feel this way and react accordingly.

Personally, I am pleased that at least the thread title has been changed. It is too late to go back and make sure some sort of discussion happened between the runner(s) here and the DW runner(s) but at least there's that much.
@XYZayne

Okay nope. Wall of text ending with "I'd like the topic to be dropped from here on" doesn't end it there.

When I say this bit, I do not mean to be cruel but you have admitted to having reading comprehension trouble. Cinderfire's words were not a personal attack. It is a very common phrasing because it is an exasperation; people claiming to not be able to be bothered to read posts that are typically on the first page are frustrating. Can you understand that view point?

A lot of people are frustrated with this -- most on the behalf of everyone involved in DW. We are well within our rights, as you said, to feel this way and react accordingly.

Personally, I am pleased that at least the thread title has been changed. It is too late to go back and make sure some sort of discussion happened between the runner(s) here and the DW runner(s) but at least there's that much.
fr_danika5.png notn_buttrocks.png 70u2TUD.png
@TheKillingEdge

I think the "I'd like the topic to be dropped from here on" was meant to stop exxaggregating the "was this a personal attack or not" thing, not the constructive criticism topic.

At least that's how I interpret this text, that has no mimic or gesture and therfore is way more difficult to interpret than personal communication.
@TheKillingEdge

I think the "I'd like the topic to be dropped from here on" was meant to stop exxaggregating the "was this a personal attack or not" thing, not the constructive criticism topic.

At least that's how I interpret this text, that has no mimic or gesture and therfore is way more difficult to interpret than personal communication.
"I'm not sure anyone can help you" can also mean "I don't believe there is a solution to this problem that someone who is not you can enact", which is how I interpreted Cinder's points on a read through.

I think it came off bluntly in the first point, for sure, and I can see the initial read of "You're hopeless" from just that, but in context with the second point it comes together more clearly imo.

Point 1 reads like a response to your "furthermore, I've never once checked any of the posts below the reserves." without taking the point that there's no guarantee that a Fundraising post will hit the front page in mind. They appear to only be responding to your claim that you only read through to the end of the reserved posts.
In this case, there is no policy in a dom-watch without reserve posts for fundraising that could encourage people with that sort of method of thread reading to read any posts past the reserves. As such, no policy could be of help.

Point 2 is where this interpretation solidifies for me. Cinder points to the fact that there is an easily seen and accessed area where even people who only read the first post should be able to access fundraising links. If people do not consider the links section to be worth checking out, there is no way any thread policy or suggestion can assist the reading experience of the individual.

I don't think Cinder's claim was that there is anything inherently wrong or flawed with you or any individual who holds the positions they were using as examples, but that there is no way the thread runner can help someone who reads a thread in those manners. At some point it's on the reader to read the posts with the information they want to glean.

Or it could be exasperation like Killing described, just wanted to give another interpretation! And I could be way off the mark, tone-in-text is hard! I just don't think Cinder's words are necessarily hostile and it sucks when that sort of miscommunication happens!

eta: wow a wall of text can you tell I'm procrastinating
"I'm not sure anyone can help you" can also mean "I don't believe there is a solution to this problem that someone who is not you can enact", which is how I interpreted Cinder's points on a read through.

I think it came off bluntly in the first point, for sure, and I can see the initial read of "You're hopeless" from just that, but in context with the second point it comes together more clearly imo.

Point 1 reads like a response to your "furthermore, I've never once checked any of the posts below the reserves." without taking the point that there's no guarantee that a Fundraising post will hit the front page in mind. They appear to only be responding to your claim that you only read through to the end of the reserved posts.
In this case, there is no policy in a dom-watch without reserve posts for fundraising that could encourage people with that sort of method of thread reading to read any posts past the reserves. As such, no policy could be of help.

Point 2 is where this interpretation solidifies for me. Cinder points to the fact that there is an easily seen and accessed area where even people who only read the first post should be able to access fundraising links. If people do not consider the links section to be worth checking out, there is no way any thread policy or suggestion can assist the reading experience of the individual.

I don't think Cinder's claim was that there is anything inherently wrong or flawed with you or any individual who holds the positions they were using as examples, but that there is no way the thread runner can help someone who reads a thread in those manners. At some point it's on the reader to read the posts with the information they want to glean.

Or it could be exasperation like Killing described, just wanted to give another interpretation! And I could be way off the mark, tone-in-text is hard! I just don't think Cinder's words are necessarily hostile and it sucks when that sort of miscommunication happens!

eta: wow a wall of text can you tell I'm procrastinating
@Faustien You are correct, which is why I decided against responding to OP's response ping. My idea here is not to start fights. Bluntness came out of me being freshly woken up and not having filters properly set up yet to prevent what Edge explained from coming through. Whoops ¯\_(?)_/¯
@Faustien You are correct, which is why I decided against responding to OP's response ping. My idea here is not to start fights. Bluntness came out of me being freshly woken up and not having filters properly set up yet to prevent what Edge explained from coming through. Whoops ¯\_(?)_/¯
Wow, this thread seemed to have blown up more since I last posted here. I don't have time to read all that right now, so I'm just gonna ignore that right now to say:

@ShadeOfChaos , I really love the changes you made to the front page between when I last posted and now! It's now much more clear that it isn't affiliated with DomWatch, it's readable, and it's gorgeous to boot!

I know that I rescinded my request to be put on the pinglist before (and I want to apologize if I came off too rude or blunt then - I was pretty tired at the time, but that doesn't excuse it), but if you don't mind adding me than I'd like to be on the pinglist from this point forward.
Wow, this thread seemed to have blown up more since I last posted here. I don't have time to read all that right now, so I'm just gonna ignore that right now to say:

@ShadeOfChaos , I really love the changes you made to the front page between when I last posted and now! It's now much more clear that it isn't affiliated with DomWatch, it's readable, and it's gorgeous to boot!

I know that I rescinded my request to be put on the pinglist before (and I want to apologize if I came off too rude or blunt then - I was pretty tired at the time, but that doesn't excuse it), but if you don't mind adding me than I'd like to be on the pinglist from this point forward.
Please put me on the pinglist! I love seeing what the community is up to!
Please put me on the pinglist! I love seeing what the community is up to!
@Faustien

Procrastinator!!! I wall of text all the time, so I completely get that. :P Also, internet words are hard sometimes! Like @MiniDrachin said, without the body language to interpret them they can have meaning construed based on interpretation.

@Cinderfire

You have that happen too?? I feel like it takes me a good hour of being awake before my filters kick in, sometimes two. It's a good thing I have to drive an hour to work every morning, or my coworkers would think I was a real piece of work. :P

@Insectoid

I'm glad you like the changes! Also, I didn't think you were being rude or blunt, more wanted to be sure of your decision before committing, which is fine. I hace you added to the pinglist!

@Aelfrey

I have you added to the pinglist as well! Thank you for stopping by! <3
@Faustien

Procrastinator!!! I wall of text all the time, so I completely get that. :P Also, internet words are hard sometimes! Like @MiniDrachin said, without the body language to interpret them they can have meaning construed based on interpretation.

@Cinderfire

You have that happen too?? I feel like it takes me a good hour of being awake before my filters kick in, sometimes two. It's a good thing I have to drive an hour to work every morning, or my coworkers would think I was a real piece of work. :P

@Insectoid

I'm glad you like the changes! Also, I didn't think you were being rude or blunt, more wanted to be sure of your decision before committing, which is fine. I hace you added to the pinglist!

@Aelfrey

I have you added to the pinglist as well! Thank you for stopping by! <3
CS0nkUR.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10