Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [FundsRising] First Edition Trial Run!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
@ShadeOfChaos

The new thread looks way better in my opinion, and the name is cool to, I like the pun :D

I also like how this evolved with the critique you recieved, and I hope you can stay positive while some of the replies seem rather hatefull.
I appreciate that you took the time to read and reply in a positive manner.
And I like how this looks like something own now.

Maybe (with the approval of the Dom Watch Team) You could add a link to them in the "What this is not" section.
I don't know how they experienced all this drama here, and hope they aren't as hostile (as some others appear to be here) against this "outsourcing of Fundraiser reservations"
And I hope that the two threads can actually be affilates and link to the other one.
@ShadeOfChaos

The new thread looks way better in my opinion, and the name is cool to, I like the pun :D

I also like how this evolved with the critique you recieved, and I hope you can stay positive while some of the replies seem rather hatefull.
I appreciate that you took the time to read and reply in a positive manner.
And I like how this looks like something own now.

Maybe (with the approval of the Dom Watch Team) You could add a link to them in the "What this is not" section.
I don't know how they experienced all this drama here, and hope they aren't as hostile (as some others appear to be here) against this "outsourcing of Fundraiser reservations"
And I hope that the two threads can actually be affilates and link to the other one.
@ShadeOfChaos

Ideally, you wouldn't have to be concerned about people not telling the truth about where the money is going, but as Red says, there are certainly a few unscrupulous people out there. Caution is probably warranted.

Just to clarify my original point, the main thing I am concerned about is that -- even with good intentions! -- one person in a flight could attempt to get funds for that flight's dom efforts in a way that the rest of the flight disagrees with. It seems like your position is that all fundraising is good fundraising, but when an initiative reflects on the entire flight, it's best to make sure that the people being represented have consented to that representation. Of course it's your thread and up to you what you'd like to include, but that's my opinion. Thanks for the response!
@ShadeOfChaos

Ideally, you wouldn't have to be concerned about people not telling the truth about where the money is going, but as Red says, there are certainly a few unscrupulous people out there. Caution is probably warranted.

Just to clarify my original point, the main thing I am concerned about is that -- even with good intentions! -- one person in a flight could attempt to get funds for that flight's dom efforts in a way that the rest of the flight disagrees with. It seems like your position is that all fundraising is good fundraising, but when an initiative reflects on the entire flight, it's best to make sure that the people being represented have consented to that representation. Of course it's your thread and up to you what you'd like to include, but that's my opinion. Thanks for the response!
@ShadeOfChaos

If there's a pinglist, put me on it :> asap (jk, jk, fren)
@ShadeOfChaos

If there's a pinglist, put me on it :> asap (jk, jk, fren)
Gale
FR + 16/17 | Korea | She/Her
@netherguard

Interesting that you consider copying the format of something successful stealing. Hatcheries use the same format all the time. Raffles use the same format all the time. I personally wouldn't consider that stealing. After all, it is prudent to learn from other people's mistakes, and DomWatch did go through many iterations before becoming successful. By looking at how they did that and using it as a template for a first run, that was bypassing the mishaps that were made when they were learning about the best format. However, every person has their own opinions. That's what makes the world a unique place, right?

Also, one of the definitions of companion is something made to complement another. In my eyes, this thread is a good complementary thread to DomWatch, as in they tie in together well. DomWatch covers everything for current pushes, FundsRising covers everything fundraising. They are both good tools for Dom, their overall purpose works well together. It's like saying peaches and cottage cheese go well together. I don't see how I need permission to say that, and will not ask for it. It might please you to know the link to DomWatch has been removed however, so there is no connection to them anymore. Thank you for your feedback, you have helped change the thread to be something better.

@RedWillia

That is true, there is the possibility that someone would use the guise of Dom to post their own personal raffle. It is a risk, and not one I've figured out how to combat yet. My issue here is that some people either don't want to work with the Dom heads directly, or perhaps want to do something completely unattached to a Dom team and yet still help their flight. Even if I do contact a flight representative, I'm not guaranteed that the person in question is actually going to send the funds earned to the Dom Bank itself. I have no issue if the Dom Team sees an announced thread and tells me about it not being sanctioned; I'm sure that something could be worked out then. And maybe I am too optimistic, but with how great the Flight Rising community is and how many good people are on here, I am leery of limiting this resource based on what someone could do.

Secondly, as stated above, companion can also mean that something complements each other. A game and a walkthrough are companions, even though they aren't made by the same people. Most of the time, people writing game guides don't ask the developer if they can write it, they just create it because the guide would complement the game and go well with it. That was the goal here, though at this point all mention of DomWatch has been removed from the front page to better reflect the views of the thread.

@TheKillingEdge

Saying hey, if you don't understand this, there is no help for you is equivalent to saying there is no one in the world that can make you understand this because there's something wrong with you. That is a personal attack. It implies that someone is stupid or worth less because they don't share the same viewpoint. As seen in this thread, how something is worded can cause someone else a lot of undue grief. Perhaps taking a moment to think about how someone else would take that is important.

@MiniDrachin

The hope was indeed to include a link to the current DomWatch so that people who were looking for current pushes and found this thread instead would have a quick link to jump over there. However, that does not seem to be wanted by DomWatch at this time, so the link was removed. I'm glad you like the way the thread looks though! It's certainly getting better, and I'm hoping that by the end of the week there will be a final format that looks good and works well.

@jinian

I guess I've never thought of that. To me, all fundraising is good fundraising, because it means more money going in to support Dom, but it sounds like you have had an experience that has proven otherwise. If you could toss me a few examples, even by pm, I can try and figure out a way to maybe tackle that issue. It's not a viewpoint I've thought of before, so I'll have to ponder it a bit.

@Windstrike

Added dearheart! <3
@netherguard

Interesting that you consider copying the format of something successful stealing. Hatcheries use the same format all the time. Raffles use the same format all the time. I personally wouldn't consider that stealing. After all, it is prudent to learn from other people's mistakes, and DomWatch did go through many iterations before becoming successful. By looking at how they did that and using it as a template for a first run, that was bypassing the mishaps that were made when they were learning about the best format. However, every person has their own opinions. That's what makes the world a unique place, right?

Also, one of the definitions of companion is something made to complement another. In my eyes, this thread is a good complementary thread to DomWatch, as in they tie in together well. DomWatch covers everything for current pushes, FundsRising covers everything fundraising. They are both good tools for Dom, their overall purpose works well together. It's like saying peaches and cottage cheese go well together. I don't see how I need permission to say that, and will not ask for it. It might please you to know the link to DomWatch has been removed however, so there is no connection to them anymore. Thank you for your feedback, you have helped change the thread to be something better.

@RedWillia

That is true, there is the possibility that someone would use the guise of Dom to post their own personal raffle. It is a risk, and not one I've figured out how to combat yet. My issue here is that some people either don't want to work with the Dom heads directly, or perhaps want to do something completely unattached to a Dom team and yet still help their flight. Even if I do contact a flight representative, I'm not guaranteed that the person in question is actually going to send the funds earned to the Dom Bank itself. I have no issue if the Dom Team sees an announced thread and tells me about it not being sanctioned; I'm sure that something could be worked out then. And maybe I am too optimistic, but with how great the Flight Rising community is and how many good people are on here, I am leery of limiting this resource based on what someone could do.

Secondly, as stated above, companion can also mean that something complements each other. A game and a walkthrough are companions, even though they aren't made by the same people. Most of the time, people writing game guides don't ask the developer if they can write it, they just create it because the guide would complement the game and go well with it. That was the goal here, though at this point all mention of DomWatch has been removed from the front page to better reflect the views of the thread.

@TheKillingEdge

Saying hey, if you don't understand this, there is no help for you is equivalent to saying there is no one in the world that can make you understand this because there's something wrong with you. That is a personal attack. It implies that someone is stupid or worth less because they don't share the same viewpoint. As seen in this thread, how something is worded can cause someone else a lot of undue grief. Perhaps taking a moment to think about how someone else would take that is important.

@MiniDrachin

The hope was indeed to include a link to the current DomWatch so that people who were looking for current pushes and found this thread instead would have a quick link to jump over there. However, that does not seem to be wanted by DomWatch at this time, so the link was removed. I'm glad you like the way the thread looks though! It's certainly getting better, and I'm hoping that by the end of the week there will be a final format that looks good and works well.

@jinian

I guess I've never thought of that. To me, all fundraising is good fundraising, because it means more money going in to support Dom, but it sounds like you have had an experience that has proven otherwise. If you could toss me a few examples, even by pm, I can try and figure out a way to maybe tackle that issue. It's not a viewpoint I've thought of before, so I'll have to ponder it a bit.

@Windstrike

Added dearheart! <3
CS0nkUR.png
@ShadeofChaos

For another example - Shadow's events frequently have a horror theme suggestion that never wins because a lot of people hate it. A random person could come and say that "Shadow" has a horror fundraiser... while most of the Dom people wouldn't find that acceptable. Same goes for most ideas where Shadow plays the villain - they have their small fanbase that doesn't reflect the Dom majority.

Just because someone has a good intention doesn't mean that the entire flight would like to be associated with it.

Perhaps you'd like to style it as "user X is running a fundraiser and donating X for their flight" if you don't want to check in with anyone else from that flight how the event might be perceived?
@ShadeofChaos

For another example - Shadow's events frequently have a horror theme suggestion that never wins because a lot of people hate it. A random person could come and say that "Shadow" has a horror fundraiser... while most of the Dom people wouldn't find that acceptable. Same goes for most ideas where Shadow plays the villain - they have their small fanbase that doesn't reflect the Dom majority.

Just because someone has a good intention doesn't mean that the entire flight would like to be associated with it.

Perhaps you'd like to style it as "user X is running a fundraiser and donating X for their flight" if you don't want to check in with anyone else from that flight how the event might be perceived?
JQQ3Fjt.png
@RedWillia

That makes a lot of sense, actually. If that fundraiser were to happen, it might make people think differently of Shadow as a whole instead of just taking that theme as a stand alone. I can understand the want to have that level of separation in that case. If you think that stating X user is running y event and giving z to the Dom Bank is a good solution, I have no problem doing that! Let me know if you would rather a different setup, but that looks good to me.

Also, please forgive any spelling errors or random autocorrects, responding from my phone.
@RedWillia

That makes a lot of sense, actually. If that fundraiser were to happen, it might make people think differently of Shadow as a whole instead of just taking that theme as a stand alone. I can understand the want to have that level of separation in that case. If you think that stating X user is running y event and giving z to the Dom Bank is a good solution, I have no problem doing that! Let me know if you would rather a different setup, but that looks good to me.

Also, please forgive any spelling errors or random autocorrects, responding from my phone.
CS0nkUR.png
@ShadeOfChaos heya Shade, can I be added to the pinglist? I love what you've done with the place :)

Seriously though, this is great and I'm glad it's getting off the ground.
@ShadeOfChaos heya Shade, can I be added to the pinglist? I love what you've done with the place :)

Seriously though, this is great and I'm glad it's getting off the ground.
he/him
FR+1

lightningy link ->____________________________________________________________
lightning_lgbt_badge_attempt_4.gif
@RecursionErr0r

Got you added! Also thank you! It's gone though some changes but I'm feeling pretty good about it at this point. I think a few more tweaks and we'll have a standard format.
@RecursionErr0r

Got you added! Also thank you! It's gone though some changes but I'm feeling pretty good about it at this point. I think a few more tweaks and we'll have a standard format.
CS0nkUR.png
@ShadeOfChaos
I'm also on phone so I am just happy no linguists have been corrected XD

I think that separating user from flight as a whole might be the best if you don't wish to check in everytime - while personal quests are great and really really appreciated, sometimes they could do with a round of beta-testing before going "outside"...
@ShadeOfChaos
I'm also on phone so I am just happy no linguists have been corrected XD

I think that separating user from flight as a whole might be the best if you don't wish to check in everytime - while personal quests are great and really really appreciated, sometimes they could do with a round of beta-testing before going "outside"...
JQQ3Fjt.png
@RedWillia

...I read that as linguini and was so confused at first. XD

I can certainly do that, and can upgrade it later if the Dom Team says it's sanctioned. That should remove any confusion about what entity is actually running the show.
@RedWillia

...I read that as linguini and was so confused at first. XD

I can certainly do that, and can upgrade it later if the Dom Team says it's sanctioned. That should remove any confusion about what entity is actually running the show.
CS0nkUR.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10